Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:46:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 09, 2005, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

Is this any good then? I haven't bought it yet though I inevitably will do as I've got all their others. That Blue Orchid single is a bit shit though isn't it? I don't like it at all, it really irritates me in fact. I hated Seven Nation Army though as well, despite loving most of the rest of Elephant. Anyway, anyone got it?

yeah, I'm another one in the queue to hear this.

I took a few months break away from the White Stripes, but still really like them.

splattermac

hidden away in vpro thread is a link to the streaming album.

http://chilled.cream.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=264723#264723

http://tinyurl.com/bxydb

Now you can make up your own mind.

Haven't heard the album but I thought that Blue Orchid was better than Seven Nation Army.

Paul Dee

Only had one listen to it so far but I like it. It's a lot less commercial than Elephant and I can't quite imagine which single could be released next to be honest (this isn't neccesarily a bad thing). As people have probably heard there's a lot less electric guitar and more acoustic guitar and piano, although the piano-based tracks often sound like they've taken The Air Beneath My Fingers from Elephant and used that as the basis. Still, it's a great album and a pleasure to listen to. At the very least you have to admire the fact that they've made an album which could alienate a lot of the fans they picked up with Elephant as it does sound like the sort of album the band wanted to make themselves, regardless of commercial success.

23 Daves

I've only had one listen to this, and it was whilst I was toddling around the flat doing other things as well, but what struck me about it was a similarity to the starker moments on the Pretty Things album "SF Sorrow".  Interestingly, that album ends with a track entitled "The Loneliest Person In the World" and the Stripes album with one entitled "I May Be Lonely (But I Ain't That Lonely Yet)" which is probably a completely meaningless coincidence, but one which amused me.

It's very downbeat in places, but (apart from the highly irritating "Blue Orchid") it's got my attention, and I think I might like it.  That's a definite bonus, as I didn't really like "Elephant" much at all.

Oh, and Meg may be lovely, but I wish Jack could talk her out of singing.

Paul Dee

The chorus of the last song sounds like that of "Still Crazy After All These Years"

Peking O

Meg's contributions are very underrated/misunderstood. Without her in the band I think there would be a slickness to them that would be unpalatable to my tastes. I haven't heard her singing on the new one yet, but 'In the Cold Cold Night' was one of my favourite Elephant tracks.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Peking O"Meg's contributions are very underrated/misunderstood. Without her in the band I think there would be a slickness to them that would be unpalatable to my tastes. I haven't heard her singing on the new one yet, but 'In the Cold Cold Night' was one of my favourite Elephant tracks.

I'm not disputing that.  I just think her singing voice leaves a lot to be desired.

Frinky

Quote from: "Peking O"Meg's contributions are very underrated/misunderstood. Without her in the band I think there would be a slickness to them that would be unpalatable to my tastes.

Without her in the band, it wouldn't be a band, surely?

I like "The Nurse", that's about it. My favourite Stripery is the last half of Elephant, and a few assorted tracks from here and there, but, overall, I'm not fussed with them.

Yay for me posting.

Peking O

A lot of my favourite singers don't have conventionally good voices. I don't really care about technical ability, as long as there's some passion and emotion in there.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Peking O"A lot of my favourite singers don't have conventionally good voices. I don't really care about technical ability, as long as there's some passion and emotion in there.

Wait until you hear the new album.  You may find yourself revising that view.

Quote from: "23 Daves"Oh, and Meg may be lovely, but I wish Jack could talk her out of singing.

oh wow I really like Meg's voice.  If that's her on In a cold, cold night.
Technically, she can sing as well as she plays the drums - but I like that rawness of the whole thing.  The fact that it's only Jack who can play any instruments and sing.

Peking O: yeah I quite agree.  there's such a craving for music thesedays to be perfectly sheened and polished.  I like the way this band avoids computers & uses 1950s equipment.  It's good to have music that doesn't dot all the i's.

Paul Dee

Passive Manipulation is a great little track. The only time I can't bear her singing is on It's True That We Love One Another to be honest. But that's just a bit of pissing about anyway really.

isn't that Holly Golightly?

I know she's singin' on at least one elephant tracks.

(ha elephant tracks....)

Neil

It's about the only White Stripes track I can stomach!

Paul Dee

It's a three-way song though isn't it? Jack, Meg and Holly. Meg sings something at some point and it's just...embarassing.

"Won't the 2 of you cut it out.."

That's Meg's bit isn't it?

Frinky

Yeah, that's the bit, and that's quite winceful. But her singing on Cold Cold Night was great and live, that was the only bit of the show that had any lasting resonance on me.

That and Jack's funny accent.

Aheeheehee.

splattermac

Is that like the brain-gut axis? (^in response to Neil) You hear the White Stripes and get angry and your bowels flare up.

Talking of bowels, I think this new work is shitscheissemerde!

I liked a few of their firm stools from previous outings but this new stuff is slurry.

Quote from: "Paul Dee"It's a three-way song though isn't it? Jack, Meg and Holly. Meg sings something at some point and it's just...embarassing.

"Won't the 2 of you cut it out.."

ahk, I turn a blind-eye to the tweeness.  They set themselves up as being rural and incestuous.  It's like those songs on past albums about school.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "Neil"It's about the only White Stripes track I can stomach!
Oh I'm surprised by that, I would have thought you'd have liked them. I was put off them for ages after hearing Seven Nation Army but songs like Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground and We're Going to be Friends are absolutely wonderful. What stuff have you heard?
On the subject of the new album, yeah, I'd heard it was more piano-ey based and after hearing Blue Orchid (how could any fail to be irritated by that song?) I'm kind of glad. I think I'll definitely pick it up next time I'm ordering something from amazon or play. Where would you guys rate it in comparison to the other albums?

Neil

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Oh I'm surprised by that, I would have thought you'd have liked them. I was put off them for ages after hearing Seven Nation Army but songs like Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground and We're Going to be Friends are absolutely wonderful. What stuff have you heard?

The second album - which was just because I fell in love with the afore-mentioned track on first listen.  A very rare thing for me.  It was alright, didn't really see what the fuss was about to be honest.  If I want to listen to Frank Black screaming then I'll listen to the Pixies records instead of someone doing a bad impersonation.  I'm afraid I'm just an unbearable snob about modern music these days.  Why wade through shit looking for gems when I can go and listen to a Big Star or Todd Rundgren record?  Or the first Meat Loaf one?  (Stop laughing at the back!)  Just seems like a waste of time really.  I'd rather root through the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ah, fair enough. The majority of stuff I listen to was made years ago but there a still a number of modern bands which I like to listen to and The White Stripes are one of them. The music almost feels like it was made a much longer ago than it was - probably due to Jack White's obsession with getting that older sound. There are tons of songs they've done as good as Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground and loads of guitar-y songs which are fun to play along to. I completely understand your not wanting to listen modern music, I also hate most of it, but don't you sometimes feel like you're missing out on loads of stuff by having that attitude. What about stuff like They Might Be Giants, after hearing loads of praise for bands like that does it not make you want to go and get into them despite your love of older music?

Neil

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"I completely understand your not wanting to listen modern music, I also hate most of it, but don't you sometimes feel like you're missing out on loads of stuff by having that attitude.

Not really mate, no.  When I was younger I did used to pride myself on listening to all different musical genres - Reggae was the hardest to get into, although I eventually cracked it through dub.  I still have that same attitude these days, but I just limit it to the 50s, 60s and 70s.  I think that those are the golden years for music, and it's where you're inevitably going to find all the best stuff.  I'm just never going to find new stuff that comes anywhere near #1 Record, The United States Of America, Parachute, Something/Anything etc.  It's just not going to happen, partly because a lot of that music has been assimilated and is now being regurgitated.  It's like making do with Monopoly money or something.  

I assume my tastes will eventually change again, but I've always been attracted to mostly classic rock and the roots of rock'n'roll.  I can remember buying Piper At The Gates Of Dawn when I was a teenager and feeling like it was music from another planet!  I just can't imagine that music will ever be as radical and new again.  

QuoteWhat about stuff like They Might Be Giants, after hearing loads of praise for bands like that does it not make you want to go and get into them despite your love of older music?

No.  You know what?  I think I might actually be an obscurist, but only when it comes to music.  I never listened to Peel, and haven't bought a music mag in years (and wouldn't if I could afford to anyway, Q always has the bastard Gallagher bastards on the front fucking cover nowadays).  And that is because I think of music as a kind of journey that you take through life.  And I find it infinitely more satisfying to make my own way.  I used to love buying albums on the strength of the band names or covers, and these days I will just type random words into Soulseek and see what I get.  I think that's a lot more fun.  I never really go into the Song Du Jour thread because I value music a hell of a lot more when I find it myself.  

Anyway, time to go and watch Chuck Berry In Concert at long fucking last.  I pestered those poor UkNova sods to put it up.  Teased myself with ten minutes of it last night and it was awesome.  Let me know how you get on with the Big Star buddy.

splattermac

I'd stay out of the SE forum then, it's full of contaminants.

From what I see you post in SE I'd say you are far from an obscurest. You might have crates of dusty old LPs from your chosen golden years but you don't offer them up.

Neil

Quote from: "splattermac"From what I see you post in SE I'd say you are far from an obscurest. You might have crates of dusty old LPs from your chosen golden years but you don't offer them up.

Presumably this is just you trying to prove you can piss higher than me.  Well, from what I see you post in SE, I don't really think you'd have a fucking clue.

Bizarrely the album isn't being released on vinyl straight away, but is coming out in a few months or so.  I can't help but think that that's a bit twatty of the record company - it means that if you either have to wait, or buy it on CD, then fork out again for the vinyl version.

Either I've had my eyes and ears closed for months, or this album has rather sneaked out.  I thought the press would be raving about the release of this for weeks beforehand after the success of Elephant.  I've not even heard the single yet.

That said, I'm a Radio 4 man these days, just flicking over for Mark Radcliffe on Radio 2.

23 Daves

Quote from: "Partridge's Love Child"Bizarrely the album isn't being released on vinyl straight away, but is coming out in a few months or so.  I can't help but think that that's a bit twatty of the record company - it means that if you either have to wait, or buy it on CD, then fork out again for the vinyl version.

Either I've had my eyes and ears closed for months, or this album has rather sneaked out.  I thought the press would be raving about the release of this for weeks beforehand after the success of Elephant.  I've not even heard the single yet.

That said, I'm a Radio 4 man these days, just flicking over for Mark Radcliffe on Radio 2.

Very interesting that, because I downloaded this from Soulseek (more or less because Jack White was ranting at his fans not to some time ago, and I'm skint at the moment, and I don't think they need the money more than me, quite honestly) and I swear my copy has pops and crackles on it, and it even sounds like a vinyl download.  Either someone has taken the time and effort to plant them there, or there were some vinyl copies in distribution before the official release date.  Puzzling, that.

fanny splendid

Quote from: "23 Daves"...and I swear my copy has pops and crackles on it, and it even sounds like a vinyl download.  Either someone has taken the time and effort to plant them there, or there were some vinyl copies in distribution before the official release date.  Puzzling, that.

I downloaded a supposed promo copy about a month ago, and as well as some of the tracks seemingly stopping about half way through, it does sound like it's been recorded from vinyl.

Blue Orchid sounds like Lenny Kravitz. It's probably the single that pays for the rest of the album.

mayer

Quote from: "fanny splendid"
Blue Orchid sounds like Lenny Kravitz. It's probably the single that pays for the rest of the album.

It sounded like Scissor Sisters to me, dunno why really, because... it doesn't really! But that's the first thing that popped into my head when I heard it.

I agree 100% with Peking O about Meg and her worth to the band.