Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:23:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, June 09, 2005, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fanny splendid

I heard it first on it's own, without the context of the rest of the album, and It just reminded me of when Kravitz suddenly turned from God loving hippy into ultra cool, Hendrix rock star.

I agree about Meg, too. In any other band, she'd probably be awful, but she's definitely part of what makes The White Stripes sound like they do. She's perfect at what she does. I can understand why some people don't like them, but I think they are the kind of band which you could get into while being a thirteen year old trying to experiment with your own musical taste, which could then lead you on to discovering some really great music.
fell In Love With A girl still makes me want to throw myself around a dance floor. It's just really great, Buzzcocks-like, punk-pop.

Peking O

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Blue Orchid sounds like Lenny Kravitz. It's probably the single that pays for the rest of the album.

Funnily enough, I was just reading a review which suggests that Jack should replace Meg with Lenny Kravitz's drummer...

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/music/articles/050613crmu_music

Rubella

Quote from: "fanny splendid"I downloaded a supposed promo copy about a month ago, and as well as some of the tracks seemingly stopping about half way through, it does sound like it's been recorded from vinyl.

It has.  The promo copies that were sent out to all critics were on vinyl.  Jack says he didn't want journalists reviewing his music unless they owned a record player.

I'm not mad keen on this album.  I much prefer the self titled and De Stijl as they have a heavier, rawer blues sound.  I find that when I listen to my ipod on shuffle I skip past any of the Get Behind Me Satan songs.  Not a good sign, I feel, but maybe its a grower?

23 Daves

Quote from: "Rubella"
I'm not mad keen on this album.  I much prefer the self titled and De Stijl as they have a heavier, rawer blues sound.  I find that when I listen to my ipod on shuffle I skip past any of the Get Behind Me Satan songs.  Not a good sign, I feel, but maybe its a grower?

I think it's more of a mood album than anything.  I tried listening to it on the train to Wales over the weekend, and absolutely could not get into it - it sounded like a dirge in places - yet when I first put it on in the week I was quietly impressed.

I get the impression it's going to be one of those late-night bad mood albums that only get put on at the right time.  You certainly wouldn't spin it first thing in the morning or before a party at night.  

Oh, and Jack may have redeemed himself in my eyes by releasing the promo on vinyl only.  How many NME reviewers must that have screwed over?

Rubella

Yeah I agree it could be more of a mood album.  It just seems a bit half baked in my opinion, as though there are more concepts rather than content.  Be very interesting to see them perform this album live (Meg on bongos, Jack on marimba) and maybe that'll turn me onto the album more.

It went into the charts at No.3 which isn't bad considering there has been no press like interviews etc.  Although, Jack did just get married to a British supermodel in a canoe, in a Brazilian rainforest by a Shamen.  Maybe a little coincidental?

Frinky

Quote from: "23 Daves"Oh, and Jack may have redeemed himself in my eyes by releasing the promo on vinyl only.  How many NME reviewers must that have screwed over?

Sigh.

Quote from: "Rubella"Although, Jack did just get married to a British supermodel in a canoe, in a Brazilian rainforest by a Shamen.  Maybe a little coincidental?

Which one? I thought we only had one?

Rubella

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Rubella"Although, Jack did just get married to a British supermodel in a canoe, in a Brazilian rainforest by a Shamen.  Maybe a little coincidental?

Which one? I thought we only had one?

Karen Elson.  Red head.  Shaved her eyebrows off once.  Search her on Google image and most pics are of her breasts.

23 Daves

Oh.  He's just shot down in my estimation again.  To make matters worse, being married in a Brazilian rainforest by a shaman?  Oh pur-lease.

Frinky

Quote from: "Rubella"Karen Elson.

Wow, now there's a passing resemblance, I bet you're jealous.

You can add "My Doorbell" to the list of songs on there I like, but I'm mostly nonplussed. I don't like Jack's new high voice, is what it is.

Rubella

Quote from: "Frinky"
Quote from: "Rubella"Karen Elson.

Wow, now there's a passing resemblance, I bet you're jealous.

You can add "My Doorbell" to the list of songs on there I like, but I'm mostly nonplussed. I don't like Jack's new high voice, is what it is.

Page wont open for me!  What pic was it?

Re. Jack and his high voice.  I used to like it when he sang on the self titled etc. and on the Electric Six song.  Now its just grating.

Frinky

How odd. http://img267.echo.cx/my.php?image=karenelson5dq.jpg , then.

Are they likely to tour this, then? I would be half interested in seeing them again if they came my way, if only to see them behind all the different instruments. Jack White + Xylophone has to be worth £10 of anyone's money.

Rubella

Quote from: "Frinky"How odd. http://img267.echo.cx/my.php?image=karenelson5dq.jpg , then.

Are they likely to tour this, then? I would be half interested in seeing them again if they came my way, if only to see them behind all the different instruments. Jack White + Xylophone has to be worth £10 of anyone's money.

God, I could only wish I would look that good.  Jack just has a thing for girls with wavy red hair.  Hence his fascination with Rita Hayworth at the moment.

Yes, I imagine we'll see a British late Autumn/Winter tour.  They are embarking on a summer Northern America tour so anytime after that I should think.  From the South America tour, the pictures show a different set up onstage so it would interesting to see them.  Unlikely they'll play Ally Pally again as Jack was disappointed by how much it resembled an aircraft hangar when he played the UK last time.  Fuck knows where else they'll play for London unless they do a long stint a Brixton a few nights running.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Anyone going to see them in Nov then? I desperately want to but they've probably sold out by now haven't they, I NEED to see them live but Glasgow is quite a trek and the tickets are pretty pricey. Anyway, enough about me, anyone got tickets?

Rubella

Yeah, I'm seeing them next Saturday (5 Nov) at the Hammersmith Apollo.  Quite looking forward to it even though I'm not wild on the new album.

Plus, now I have my drum kit I can play all their songs.  Not much of an achievement I know but it feels great to me :-)