Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sassy Justice (Parker, Stone, Serafinowicz)

Started by brat-sampson, October 27, 2020, 10:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on October 29, 2020, 12:32:41 AM
Honestly, I don't know, but I can easily find out (so I will). Certainly this has been in the planning works since at least January. However, at that time it was very much in the initial concept stage, so I imagine a lot of that time has been spent ironing out the tech and getting the pipeline in place. Doing high quality, high-res deepfakes still takes a lot of post-process VFX work, and it is still relatively new for the industry. I would think that there is an awful lot of early test footage on the cutting room floor.

Quite, and a lot of the deepfake tech in this is probably among the most advanced I've seen (the idea that you can "just do it on your phone" is, as you pointed out, ludicrous). I wasn't quite sure what the connection between Zuckerberg and the dialysis crisis was, so perhaps that was some tech they'd already figured out and decided to repurpose for absurdity (unless Facebook really does have some connection with all of that that I'm unaware of).

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 29, 2020, 12:21:04 AM
Is that right? Given how current some/most of the references are, you can see why I might have thought otherwise!

They've had a lot of practice at changing things around at the last minute.  Iirc most South Park episodes are produced in under 2 weeks, which is crazy really.  Then there was the time they had to change a season arc because Trump won unexpectedly.

I hope they make more, love it if it became a semi regular 'Spitting Image's style thing.

Mister Six

Quote from: Puffin Chunks on October 28, 2020, 11:57:45 PM
You take that back, right now young man! Reface is pretty different. It's fine for fun little vids, but different in the underlying tech (jeez, I'm boring myself).... But yeah, the day will come when doing this on your phone will be no thing.

Psshhhh, NERD! What I mean is that from the POV of a basic tech bitch like me, this kind of thing (whatever is going on behind the scenes) is no longer novel. Jordan Peele did that Barack Obama deepfake warning ad two years back. Feels like this should have come out before that to really have any kind of purpose.

If the script was brilliant then it'd be a different thing entirely, and there are plenty of incredible possibilities for comedy with this technology, but this specific short seems pointless.

Mister Six

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 29, 2020, 12:38:30 AM
(the idea that you can "just do it on your phone" is, as you pointed out, ludicrous)

You can, though. I mean, yes, it doesn't look as good as Trump does here (it's about on a par with Michael Caine or Zuckerberg) and it's done through cloud computing to some big rack of graphics cards in Russia somewhere, but in a out 20 seconds you can have your face strapped onto Sam Jackson's in Pulp Fiction. So seeing it here just isn't really that exciting or dazzling to a layman.

I'm sure tech bods can look at the way his tongue moves or eyes glisten or whatever and be very impressed by the algorithms and that, but for me - yeah, I know computers can do that. I did it on my pixel last week after clicking past an advertisement for a shit video game.

Compare that to when Toy Story came out while I was still playing on an Amiga 600 or whatever. The gap between professional and amateur tech shit is getting smaller all the time. It will never close, but it means the pro stuff isn't as exciting for laymen as it used to be.

cliggg

The lads behind this gave an interview to the New York Times recently. This was originally intended to be a movie but Covid put a stop to that. Julie Andrews was indeed voiced by Sarah Alexander and Jared Kushner was voiced by Trey Parker's daughter. I find this deep fake technology to be a bit scary with the potential it has and I found this video to be boring. South Park ran out of steam years ago in my opinion and this was just the same humour in a different setting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/arts/television/sassy-justice-south-park-deepfake.html

Sonny_Jim

The video has just passed 1M views in a week.

That's pretty shit, all things considered.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 02, 2020, 11:02:59 AM
The video has just passed 1M views in a week.

That's pretty shit, all things considered.

Hardly anyone watches SP now (in relative terms) and it hasn't picked up many younger viewers in the last 10 years, so the only people watching this will be long-term die-hard Trey and Matt fans I suspect.  Still more people than ever watched That's My Bush though.

thr0b

Add on another half-million or so from the clip versions they've also put out on the channel, and that's not really too bad. Especially as it wasn't launched with any promotion - in fact, a lot of people may have unsubscribed and not viewed it as it was a rebranded channel. When I first saw it, I thought I'd inadvertently clicked on a subscribe button and some American horror-news show was in my feed.

Petey Pate

up_the_hampipe

These aren't as fun for me after seeing the Scooby Doo video, much better impression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVziOdvRn0

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 12, 2020, 08:37:34 PM
These aren't as fun for me after seeing the Scooby Doo video, much better impression https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTVziOdvRn0

Ha, that's really good, to the extent that I'm sure I could show it to my mother and she'd be completely fooled by it.

Sonny_Jim

Sassy Justice is a little disappointing for me.  The comedy just doesn't quite have enough bite, does it?  It's a shame, as all the right ingredients are there (silliness, Serafenowicz) but it just doesn't seem to shift out of 2nd gear.