Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:21:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Covid makes you stupider

Started by Alberon, October 27, 2020, 05:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alberon

From The Times

QuoteCoronavirus survivors may be at risk of lasting cognitive damage, according to a study that found that in the worst cases the infection can cause mental decline equivalent to an 8.5-point fall in IQ or the brain ageing ten years.

The "brain fog" reported by many people weeks and months after their recovering from the virus may be a symptom of more serious cognitive deficits, scientists have said.

Research involving 84,285 people who had recovered from confirmed or suspected Covid-19 found that damage to the brain had happened to varying extents, depending upon the severity of the infection. However, more work is needed to identify how long this lasts.

The worst sufferers were those who had to be hooked up to a lifeglug machine, but even those with milder symptoms can experience negative long term effects.

QuoteAdam Hampshire, of the faculty of medicine, department of brain sciences at Imperial College London, who was lead author of the study, said the "shocking" results applied to more than only those patients who had been in hospital. Those who had had no breathing difficulties but had tested positive also exhibited cognitive decline. People who had recovered at home had an average deficit equivalent to ageing five years or dropping four IQ points.

"This is a large enough difference that as an individual you would notice an impact on the ability to cope with your normal job and everyday life," Dr Hampshire said. "The results align with the 'brain fog' reported by many people who, even months after recovery, say they are unable to concentrate on work or focus how they did before."

Admittedly, anyone who has been on life support can experience an impact on brain function, but no one really knows how long this reduction in brain function lasts after contracting the coronavirus.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/coronavirus-could-age-the-brain-by-10-years-or-cause-iq-to-fall-v9s273rbs

imitationleather

I must have had it about twenty times this year then.

evilcommiedictator

Hopefully with steroids the effects of lots of little clots in the body will be lessened, but that doesn't help people who got it before then.
That's my big concern, what percent of people will get lifelong issues because of this, as well as *glances at the number of cases in the US and their health system* yeah no issues there

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

How wonderful that the Leader of the Free World fucking had it

pancreas

Quote from: imitationleather on October 27, 2020, 06:19:12 PM
I must have had it about twenty times this year then.

Got into the dexamethasone?

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on October 27, 2020, 09:37:49 PM
How wonderful that the Leader of the Free World fucking had it
How would you measure a 8.5 IQ point drop, etc. etc.

ASFTSN

Can't wait - is there anything it can't do? I think Covid's skill tree is OP and should be fixed before it comes out of beta.

Hand Solo

Having a cold makes your brain a bit foggy?

MIND (and nose) BLOWN

JamesTC

Isn't happiness correlated with a lower IQ? So Covid is making us happier.

Wonderful Butternut

So the economic and social consequences of COVID disproportionately impact poorer people. Poorer people are probably more likely to get it, especially in the global South where Social Distancing is not exactly likely and isolation is probably not feasible for quite a few people. And now it makes people stupider to boot?

Bioengineered by rich bastards. Calling it now.