Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:34:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Types of Twitter arsehole you don't like

Started by canadagoose, October 27, 2020, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 19, 2020, 12:55:34 PM
its more the rapid escalation of a complaint, particualrly the sort that starts before they've actually brought up the issue.

or just live action roleplay of the character you get in the first 20 minutes of one of those Young People Working With Customers sort of comedy films. the one that's there to make the audience sympathise over how shite and tedious this job is. they've decided the entire sum of their life is being like that. and maybe turning up again in the second half to face a mild comeuppance if they're lucky
I think Americans are used to service industry staff being totally servile, because that's the default, whereas in some places in Europe it's more of a negotiation if you actually want anything. And Americans, depending on which part of the country, are often more polite than the British. So it's partly that they don't know how to complain in a reasonable fashion, and partly that businesses don't know how to deal with that sort of Karen behaviour (it's not about the individual shop assistant, but security staff, managers, etc, being able to deflect or defuse or call the police).

I also get the impression that (excepting Donald Trump) British people are actually ruder on Twitter than Americans. Maybe people will disprove this. Or maybe it's that Twitter in the US is more for metropolitan elites while in the UK it's for everyone obnoxious to shout at everyone.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 19, 2020, 05:44:40 PM
Those people are the absolute worst. They can't ever admit to being wrong about anything, which is such an unhealthy state of mind. No humility, zero self-awareness, a stubborn refusal to ever learn from their mistakes because that's a sign of weakness. What a dismal way to go through life.

😂😂😂😂😂 Rattled 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

BritishHobo

I like to picture them absolutely stony-faced as they tap the laughing emoji over and over again.

Aaron500

People who say things like "if you're not [feeling a certain way] about [whatever bullshit], then you haven't been paying attention

Oh, is that right, cunt? I don't feel exactly the way you do, because I'm a fucking idiot, is that it? Well, in that case, thank you.

Menu

Essentially if anyone annoys you at all, even the slightest bit, don't worry - just mute them. Mute them even if you're not sure. Mute mute mute. Don't worry about living in an echo chamber, just mute. Limmy did a tweet along those lines and it has really helped me even though it's STATING THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS. It is actually quite cathartic. Unfollow, mute, block.

Kankurette

Quote from: Menu on November 19, 2020, 10:50:59 PM
Essentially if anyone annoys you at all, even the slightest bit, don't worry - just mute them. Mute them even if you're not sure. Mute mute mute. Don't worry about living in an echo chamber, just mute. Limmy did a tweet along those lines and it has really helped me even though it's STATING THE BLEEDING OBVIOUS. It is actually quite cathartic. Unfollow, mute, block.
I found blocking twats on Twitter made it so much more fun. That and barely going on the damn site.

Hand Solo

Cunts who post some pun on a semi-topical story about a week after it's been in the news on a non-related Facebook Group post that has obviously been nicked from earlier in the week on Twitter then get Likes up the arse and loads of twats replying 'Genius!' and 'You WIN the internet for today!'

canadagoose

Quote from: Menu on November 19, 2020, 10:50:59 PM
#BAMO is the way forward. It's hard to do, at first, because you want to get the other person tellt, but it's not worth it, most of the time. Unless it's Trump.

Menu

Quote from: Kankurette on November 20, 2020, 02:44:06 PM
I found blocking twats on Twitter made it so much more fun. That and barely going on the damn site.

Trouble with blocking is it validates the type of person who argues disingenuously on Twitter. They love to see that they're blocked cos it shows they've needled you and that they've essentially won. Muting them leaves them emoticonning into the void like the losers they are.

Sebastian Cobb

Menu

Quote from: canadagoose on November 20, 2020, 03:00:12 PM
#BAMO is the way forward. It's hard to do, at first, because you want to get the other person tellt, but it's not worth it, most of the time. Unless it's Trump.

Yes it's that small part of you that sees a comment and thinks, "I'll just put this evil idiot right and then I'll get on with what I wanted to do."  Five hours later......

It's not worth your time even if somehow you do eventually come out on top in the argument. I mean, who cares? It's only you and the evil idiot who are even going to see it.

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2020, 09:09:15 PM
That's why muting/softblocking is great

What is softblocking? I heard someone else say it the other day.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Menu on November 20, 2020, 09:06:53 PM
Trouble with blocking is it validates the type of person who argues disingenuously on Twitter
Nobody should be arguing on Twitter. Everybody (except Patrick Stewart) is using Twitter incorrectly. Twitter is not designed for debates and arguments and long rambling blog posts. Twitter is for posting short updates and links to things people might like to know about. So who gives a fuck if someone who is using Twitter incorrectly goes LOL BLOCKED I WIN.

Menu

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 20, 2020, 09:15:28 PM
Nobody should be arguing on Twitter. Everybody (except Patrick Stewart) is using Twitter incorrectly. Twitter is not designed for debates and arguments and long rambling blog posts. Twitter is for posting short updates and links to things people might like to know about. So who gives a fuck if someone who is using Twitter incorrectly goes LOL BLOCKED I WIN.

They do. But you make a good point - what does it matter. I guess of the three options you have when somebody annoys you on Twitter, muting them feels best for me. Also I think Twitter can be an ok platform to have an argument/discussion but it needs both participants to be doing so in good faith.

Kankurette

Trouble with blocking is it validates the type of person who argues disingenuously on Twitter. They love to see that they're blocked cos it shows they've needled you and that they've essentially won. Muting them leaves them emoticonning into the void like the losers they are.
Bugger them. Let them argue with someone who wants to. Life's too short.

Menu

Quote from: Kankurette on November 20, 2020, 09:53:45 PM
Bugger them. Let them argue with someone who wants to. Life's too short.

Quite.

pcsjwgm

The problem with muting is that I can still see the cunt's shitty replies to other people's tweets. (Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Menu on November 20, 2020, 09:10:40 PM
What is softblocking? I heard someone else say it the other day.

If you block then immediately unblock them, it has the effect of you being removed from their list of followers, a remote unfollow, basically.

Menu

Quote from: pcsjwgm on November 20, 2020, 11:06:47 PM
The problem with muting is that I can still see the cunt's shitty replies to other people's tweets. (Maybe I'm not doing it correctly.)

Yes that is true. It's not a failsafe. Although I don't think blocking is either - but I might be wrong on that. All I can say is since my zero-tolerance muting strategy began, my twitter experience has improved. I mainly just go to feeds of people whose opinions I like in the first place anyway but at least I feel I've gained something from not trying to have pointless arguments with berks.

I go to CAB for that!!

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 20, 2020, 11:33:40 PM
If you block then immediately unblock them, it has the effect of you being removed from their list of followers, a remote unfollow, basically.

Why not just unfollow in the normal way?

Sebastian Cobb

poo

Why is anyone remotely bothered by these cunts?

mippy

I must be really good at echo chambers, as I rarely come across the accoints everyone seems to hate (Rachael Swindon, twilldun, that EU Supergirl whatsit, Russ In Cheshire)

I do find that regular people becoming a big deal on Twitter get tedious very quickly. Especially when it's the 'lol Boris is a cockwomble' genre of humour. Even of I agree with the sentiment, it's the playing to the gallery and eagerness to plug your patreon/projects/TikTok that makes it all seem a bit thirsty and insincere.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Menu on November 20, 2020, 11:34:57 PM
Yes that is true. It's not a failsafe. Although I don't think blocking is either - but I might be wrong on that. All I can say is since my zero-tolerance muting strategy began, my twitter experience has improved. I mainly just go to feeds of people whose opinions I like in the first place anyway but at least I feel I've gained something from not trying to have pointless arguments with berks.

I go to CAB for that!!

Blocking does actually block the blocked person's replies, although there is a "Show" button you can click to reveal their tweet. Fortunately, I haven't felt tempted enough to click it and make myself angry for no reason.

rjd2

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on October 27, 2020, 09:34:20 PM
The purportedly anti-Trump Resistance grifter account with half a million followers that clearly only exists as some kind of astroturfing campaign to piss off left-wing voters and stop them from voting.

who elevate some random follower of some prominent politician to smear them by association. " Why won't Bernie disavow Kennedy 135 with his 12 followers".

Also can see any criticism of Biden will be rebutted with "What about Trump?" even though they know the person who they are questioning loathes loathes Trump , but they can't defend Biden etc without "whataboutism " or some crappy meme.

Fambo Number Mive

A Pearson

And Robert Syms MP who has this as his Twitter bio:

QuoteConservative Member of Parliament For Poole Re-Elected with 19,116 majority

Government bootlickers such as these idiots: https://twitter.com/paulapplewood1/status/1331278860416114697

QuoteI am dismayed by the anti government rhetoric being spewed out, not only by the Guardian which we all expect....but the Daily Mail,, Express, Independent, Telegraph, etc etc. No government around the globe has done more to both protect and support its people.

QuoteI totally agree. They're damned if they do & damned if they don't. I think people forget that they're human & fallible, not the superheroes they see in films. I don't think any govt could have done more. They stepped up to the plate.

And the complaining about "negativity".

Paul @ applewood resorts to claiming the other side is "triggered" when he can't win an argument further down the Twitter thread, and repeats the bullshit claim that it's the job of the Opposition to criticise government not the media.

He's a Brexiteer, unsurprisingly. Desperately defending the government to ensure that he gets a no deal Brexit.

Fambo Number Mive

People who put "You're welcome" at the end of their Tweets when debating something with another Twitter user.

Menu

A 'comedy' thing on Twitter I hate is when somebody places two usually incongruous words together in a sentence, and some slackjaw then isolates them and pretends it's a name of a band. For example, and taking a random sentence from this thread:

PDD: "The purportedly anti-Trump Resistance grifter account with half a million followers that clearly only exists as some kind of astroturfing campaign to piss off left-wing voters and stop them from voting."

Slackjaw: "I think I heard 'Astroturfing Campaign' on a 1978 Peel Session.

Shut UP! Fuck OFF! I was doing 'that should be the name of our band' jokes in 2002, and they weren't funny then. Can't believe people who get paid for writing are still doing them 18 years later. Richard Osman is still doing them. Even Danny Baker pulled one out of his bottom drawer the other day. Such hackwork.