Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:21:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Types of Twitter arsehole you don't like

Started by canadagoose, October 27, 2020, 09:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornlu

Quote from: idunnosomename on October 28, 2020, 12:28:04 AM
anyone called Molly. if im honest.

Aw no, tertiary Chapoverse member and ... And Introducing co-host Molly O'Brien is a treat.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 18, 2020, 10:36:10 AM

Imagine being that angry to someone you've never met on behalf of Playstation.

They connect them all together in a network and charge a monthly subscription don't you know?

neveragain

i ThInK tHiS oPiNiOn Is LaUgHaBlE hEnCe My WaCkY tYpOgRaPhY

chveik

Quote from: neveragain on November 18, 2020, 11:59:24 PM
i ThInK tHiS oPiNiOn Is LaUgHaBlE hEnCe My WaCkY tYpOgRaPhY

I'm starting to see that quite often. seems a lot of bother.

Rolf Lundgren

This.

People of Daventry, I need a plumber. Go! or any variation of Twitter, do your stuff.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

People who decry [LeftTuber] as a grifter because of some alleged breach of wokeness, but have a pinned tweet reading "I'm disabled, money please".

Homeless people screaming abuse at buskers.

katzenjammer

The ones that do
<obvious observation> Now let that sink in.

And
Ever wondered how you'd react if x, y or z happened? Well now you know.

Paul Calf

Quote from: katzenjammer on November 19, 2020, 07:18:08 AM
The ones that do
<obvious observation> Now let that sink in.

And
Ever wondered how you'd react if x, y or z happened? Well now you know.

Twitter's shit anyway. Every time I see the word even mentioned, I scrub my corneas with bleach and a wire brush.

Icehaven

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 18, 2020, 10:36:10 AM
I also hate how people try and make out that those they disagree with are "upset" or "crying" just because they have a different view.

I know some of it is just trolling but there is an internet tendency to accuse anyone expressing a different opinion of being disproportionately upset when what they've actually said and how they've said it doesn't suggest they are at all. It's as if some people hear (or choose to hear) everything their opponents say as if it's being said in harsh tones or yelled or whatever just for an excuse to treat them as if they're unreasonable. I've seen perfectly mild, casual fb/BTL comments met with "Wow. Bit of an overreaction there." or "There's no need to be so rude" and so on, when there's literally nothing to suggest the commenter has been. And obviously it can have the same effect being told to calm down when you already are always does, it makes you as angry as you're already accused of being but weren't.

Sherringford Hovis

People that do the *checks notes* or "Asking for a friend".

lipsink

People who start off their tweets with "So listen guys" and end them "So that's where I am right now."

Also: "THIS JUST WON THE INTERNET!"

buttgammon

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ |
|   the         |
|    rabbit      |
|    with the    |     
|     sign       |
| _______|
(\__/) ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ

buttgammon

Quote from: buttgammon on November 19, 2020, 09:58:50 AM
| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ |
|   the         |
|    rabbit      |
|    with the    |     
|     sign       |
| _______|
(\__/) ||
(•ㅅ•) ||
/   づ

The formatting is annoying too, so I couldn't add anything to the previous post, but I wanted to say that it's up there with the handclaps.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: icehaven on November 19, 2020, 09:05:48 AM
I know some of it is just trolling but there is an internet tendency to accuse anyone expressing a different opinion of being disproportionately upset when what they've actually said and how they've said it doesn't suggest they are at all. It's as if some people hear (or choose to hear) everything their opponents say as if it's being said in harsh tones or yelled or whatever just for an excuse to treat them as if they're unreasonable. I've seen perfectly mild, casual fb/BTL comments met with "Wow. Bit of an overreaction there." or "There's no need to be so rude" and so on, when there's literally nothing to suggest the commenter has been. And obviously it can have the same effect being told to calm down when you already are always does, it makes you as angry as you're already accused of being but weren't.

I think some people on the internet either subconsciously take any alternate view as a kind of insult and therefore react in such a way or think that making the person who tweeted the view look like they were expressing it in an unreasonable way will win the argument.

Now Twitter has finally started labelling Trump tweets that contain untrue information it would be nice if they did the same for other blue ticked twitter accounts like the Tory comms one. They won't though.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: icehaven on November 19, 2020, 09:05:48 AM

I'm wondering if that might be an American attribute. A few times in the States, I've politely complained about something and have immediately received a stern, "Whoa! Take it easy, sir, there's no need for that" it's as if they're all ready reaching for pepper spray. Lucky I didn't tell them about the dirty knife.

buttgammon

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 19, 2020, 10:16:07 AM
I think some people on the internet either subconsciously take any alternate view as a kind of insult and therefore react in such a way or think that making the person who tweeted the view look like they were expressing it in an unreasonable way will win the argument.

Now Twitter has finally started labelling Trump tweets that contain untrue information it would be nice if they did the same for other blue ticked twitter accounts like the Tory comms one. They won't though.

You're right, they won't. The sad truth is that they've only acted against Trump now because he's at the end of his usefulness. They've already given him a platform for years' worth of misinformation, the damage is done and it's only now his time as president is finishing that they've developed the will to actually do something about him. It's cowardly.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 19, 2020, 10:30:55 AM
I'm wondering if that might be an American attribute. A few times in the States, I've politely complained about something and have immediately received a stern, "Whoa! Take it easy, sir, there's no need for that" it's as if they're all ready reaching for pepper spray. Lucky I didn't tell them about the dirty knife.
People think the British are crap at complaining, but Americans simply refuse to do it. For them customer service consists of server and customer being very very nice to each other. Maybe it's the race memory of wild west saloons where the slightest grumble would get you shot. Maybe that still happens.

Having said that, I find most people on Twitter to be delightful. I make a point of trolling businesses whenever I get an advert I don't like, and nobody's ever said "How dare you be rude about Direct Line."

king_tubby

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 19, 2020, 10:55:00 AM
People think the British are crap at complaining, but Americans simply refuse to do it.

What? What about the whole 'Karen' thing?

O.K. Simpson

I try to see the good in people and other ideas. Reason and love conquer the darker forces of human nature, not petty generalisation, and we need to seriously explore ideas we disagree with. Being both open-minded and rigorous is difficult, but it's ultimately unifying and productive.

*proceeds with tweet about the 'woke mob'*

Icehaven

Quote from: king_tubby on November 19, 2020, 11:08:51 AM

They're Amerikarens, totally different thing.

Dex Sawash

People who unnecessarily explain the joke in replies or add the gif.

People who do Limmy gifs at Limmy. Seems like there should be a Limmy bit about this.

pigamus

Quote from: king_tubby on November 19, 2020, 11:08:51 AM

Is that what the Karen thing is about? That complaining at all really shocks the American sensibility?

petril

Quote from: pigamus on November 19, 2020, 12:36:34 PM
Is that what the Karen thing is about? That complaining at all really shocks the American sensibility?

its more the rapid escalation of a complaint, particualrly the sort that starts before they've actually brought up the issue.

or just live action roleplay of the character you get in the first 20 minutes of one of those Young People Working With Customers sort of comedy films. the one that's there to make the audience sympathise over how shite and tedious this job is. they've decided the entire sum of their life is being like that. and maybe turning up again in the second half to face a mild comeuppance if they're lucky

BritishHobo

Another bad arguing tactic I've started to notice on Twitter is that if someone says something wrong, and it gets pointed out that they were wrong, then they just start pretending they did it on purpose to get angry replies and that they find all the replies funny, actually. Complete with about thirty laughing emojis  🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣😂😂to show 😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂how funny 😂🤣🤣😂😂they find it 🤣🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂

It's part of a trend I notice, where people who can't really defend their own deeply-held views have avoided the problem by holding the simultaneous but paradoxical facts that A: they fully believe what they were saying but B: it's all just a joke and anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot who has fallen for the bait.

O.K. Simpson

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 19, 2020, 01:47:23 PM
Another bad arguing tactic I've started to notice on Twitter is that if someone says something wrong, and it gets pointed out that they were wrong, then they just start pretending they did it on purpose to get angry replies and that they find all the replies funny, actually. Complete with about thirty laughing emojis  🤣😂😂😂🤣🤣😂😂to show 😂🤣🤣🤣😂😂how funny 😂🤣🤣😂😂they find it 🤣🤣😂😂🤣🤣😂

It's part of a trend I notice, where people who can't really defend their own deeply-held views have avoided the problem by holding the simultaneous but paradoxical facts that A: they fully believe what they were saying but B: it's all just a joke and anyone who disagrees with them is an idiot who has fallen for the bait.

Part of my master's involved studying argumentation theory. Many researchers in the field task themselves with finding models for human reasoning and dialogue, and it's amazing how even today it's assumed there's some kind of careful exchange between Person A and Person B, where one wins the argument by identifying faulty reasoning in the other and providing counterexamples. You have to wonder what world philosophers live in sometimes, but I think they're finally accepting the fact that there's far more rationalisation than reasoning in social interactions (far more than they wanted to believe).

chveik

Quote from: lipsink on November 19, 2020, 09:09:26 AM
People who start off their tweets with "So listen guys" and end them "So that's where I am right now."

"I didn't get the memo!"

Kankurette

Football fans. I'm so glad I barely post these days, the endless bleating about 'passion' and 'playing for the shirt' and 'piss boiling' and 'Marco Silva is the Antichrist and deserves to burn in hell' (the latter exclusive to Everton Twitter) makes me want to slit my wrists. And that's before we get onto the sexism, racism and Hillsborough jokes.

Dex Sawash

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: BritishHobo on November 19, 2020, 01:47:23 PM

Those people are the absolute worst. They can't ever admit to being wrong about anything, which is such an unhealthy state of mind. No humility, zero self-awareness, a stubborn refusal to ever learn from their mistakes because that's a sign of weakness. What a dismal way to go through life.