Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

"Let's hear it for Irish grannies!" EU passports and that

Started by Blinder Data, October 28, 2020, 02:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

Quote from: Blinder Data on October 28, 2020, 04:03:01 PM
An independence referendum is, what, 5 years away minimum? Assuming "yes" wins, let's say another 5-10 years before official stuff like the production of passports starts. That's also assuming the negotiations go better than the UK's experience with the EU.
Well, it's better than fuck all.

QuoteWould Scotland definitely join the EU? Many SNP members would not be happy to trade one union with another.
They're a minority. I'm 99% sure Scotland would join the EU after independence.

imitationleather

With how long it took from the Brexit referendum to leaving the EU I think we'd be in for a long old wait, with probably much bloodshed, before Scotland was allowed to leave the union.

bgmnts

Yeah you have to hand it to the Scots they really don't put up with Tories and I can see them making the sensible decisions. I think the exact opposite is true down here, we are basically England lite.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: imitationleather on October 28, 2020, 06:01:15 PM
With how long it took from the Brexit referendum to leaving the EU I think we'd be in for a long old wait, with probably much bloodshed, before Scotland was allowed to leave the union.

Agreed.  I'm not holding my breath.

Luckily I'm not planning to go to Europe (or anywhere else) anytime in the next few years.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 28, 2020, 05:37:47 PM
No chance with Ireland. Though, my mum was born in Nicosia but always been a British citizen. I assume that isn't enough for a Cypriot passport.

It might be, but she'd probably have to apply for dual citizenship first.  Worth you researching, I'd've thought.

canadagoose

Quote from: bgmnts on October 28, 2020, 06:01:21 PM
Yeah you have to hand it to the Scots they really don't put up with Tories and I can see them making the sensible decisions. I think the exact opposite is true down here, we are basically England lite.
Well, except for the Borders and "Scottish Tory six-chip twat" land, a.k.a. Aberdeenshire. And Moray. They do badly in Edinburgh these days, though, so that's something.

Edit: Sorry for derailing the topic. Please continue with all things Irish.

Zetetic

I think the exact opposite is true down here, we are basically England lite.
And you've got a fair amount of failed-English like myself about the place.

Think that those working towards Welsh Independence need to focus less on places like Estonia and Denmark, and consider that likely model is Bosnia.

Still probably preferable to the alternative.

My partner and their sister both have German passports now. (Their father could get one from an Eastern European country, but hasn't bothered.)

To link this back to (the island of) Ireland - my partner tried to re-enter Britain, travelling from Northern Ireland, on their German passport and we spent a surprisingly long amount of time being interrogated by a police officer about why they were doing entering the country.

Suspect it was actually the 'z's in the name that triggered that rather than the passport alone.

BlodwynPig

My birth grandparents are Irish, but I was adopted. Does that count?

paruses

Also one of the forgotten who can't claim Irish ancestry so am extremely jealous (not even envious) of those who can. I do have a friend who is only second generation English from Irish parents who said he wouldn't be taking advantage of the situation. I can't fathom his thinking.

I have no desire to work in the UK so would look for contracts in Europe (as I have dreeone for the last 10 year on and off) so what's the next easiest EU country to get citizenship of (without buying it for millions).

I remember shortly after the Brexit vote that Romania (I think) were offering to take on Brits who had sense but I bet they've changed their mind now.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 28, 2020, 06:27:10 PM
My birth grandparents are Irish, but I was adopted. Does that count?
Tony Cascarino got to play for Ireland on the basis of his mother being adopted by an Irish couple, so maybe.

Red Lantern

I've got an Irish passport, through a grandfather.

It cost a few hundred quid to get the certificates together, apply to get my birth registered, and apply the passport, and took a couple of years in total. I love the passport though. Couldn't believe that it worked the first time I used it!

I needed to supply the following docs:

My birth certificate.
My parents' marriage certificate.
My mother's birth certificate.
My grandparents' marriage certificate.
My grandfather's birth certificate.
My grandfather's death certificate.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on October 28, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
It might be, but she'd probably have to apply for dual citizenship first.  Worth you researching, I'd've thought.

I think my sister has been on at her about it. If she won't do it for my sister (despite Mum being retired with little else to do than cook, garden and get her hair done) I know it won't happen full stop. Probably spent enough time yammering about how awful this situation is to have actually spent that time sorting it out.

Gulftastic

I think one of my Granddads was half Irish. Would that let me qualify?

imitationleather

Just putting it out there for all you totally non-Irish folk: I am currently unmarried.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 28, 2020, 06:45:24 PM
I think one of my Granddads was half Irish. Would that let me qualify?

Half Irish, as in your great-grandparent was Irish? If so, then no. Your grandad would need to have been registered as a foreign birth himself.

Inspector Norse

No Irish roots, not even in the Jack Charlton "drank Guinness once" sense, but I've got Swedish citizenship. They had a massive pile of applications from Brits after Brexit got voted through and nobody was getting anything back; I got tipped off that the way to get approved was just to contact the migration office and say I was travelling abroad and needed my British passport (which I had sent in as part of the application) back. A week later, said passport plopped through the letterbox accompanied by a certificate informing me I was now Swedish.

I haven't got a passport yet but they only cost about £30 so it's no big deal when I do need one... for example in the likely event that they raise the price of renewing my British passport to THE MOON ON A FUCKING STICK when it expires in two or three years' time.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Paul Calf on October 28, 2020, 03:09:11 PM
What's the betting that England refuses to allow dual citizenship?
The British government will never ban dual citizenship. Far too many rich people have dual (or triple) passports like Lord Ashcroft, Evgeny Lebedev, or Boris for many years. If you don't give the super-rich passports, why would they come here.

It would also break every agreement with Ireland if they said people with Irish passports weren't full British citizens, but I don't suppose they care about that.

Billy

It's almost a year since I got mine, which fittingly was delivered on one of the original Brexit days of 31st October. As I was applying through Irish grandparents (deceased in 1994 and 2013 respectively) it took a year to be added to the Foreign Births Register, and a couple weeks extra to get the passport - I've also got one of those handy ID cards they give you which means you can leave the passport at home if you're in the EU and travel around with just the card instead. Last I read they were still processing mid-2019 applications and now they're shut again, so most who applied last summer or later are still waiting.

First thing I did was book a few days in St Petersburg over last Christmas, as they'd just changed the rules that certain parts of Russia could now be visited without a visa if you were Irish (but not British) - plan was to open up the whole of Russia in 2021 but not sure if that's still happening now. Then this March I was meant to go for Iran for a week, a country that won't let UK travellers in independently but will for every other European nationality. It entailed the amusing exchange at the London embassy in mid-January (just after Soleimani and UIA flight 752):

Me: Hello! I'd like to go to Iran please.
Them: (looking quite annoyed) Are you British?!
Me: No, I'm Irish.
Them: Ok!

Got the visa, booked the flights and accommodation, only for the flights to be cancelled in late February for reasons now apparent. Friends and family are in disagreement as to whether that was a good thing or not but I'd still like to go someday - they even have a street in Tehran named after Bobby Sands!

It most recently came in useful in mid-March when I was in a hostel in Budapest and they had a sign saying they weren't accepting travellers from China, Italy or the United Kingdom - this being just before Lockdown Season started. Showed my Irish ID and they happily let me stay.

Blue Jam

Had an Irish grandad who was apparently born in Dublin and who died about five years before I was born. Doubt I'll be able to find his birth certificate though, especially as he had what must be one of the most common names in Ireland. He also moved to Liverpool when he was about 20 and signed up to fight in WWII so I'm guessing he may have become a British citizen.

All my Plastic Paddiness is good for is explaining to people why I am so pale.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 02, 2020, 01:28:19 PM
Had an Irish grandad who was apparently born in Dublin and who died about five years before I was born. Doubt I'll be able to find his birth certificate though, especially as he had what must be one of the most common names in Ireland. He also moved to Liverpool when he was about 20 and signed up to fight in WWII so I'm guessing he may have become a British citizen.

All my Plastic Paddiness is good for is explaining to people why I am so pale.

It doesn't look too difficult to order one: https://www2.hse.ie/services/births-deaths-and-marriages/get-certificates/get-an-irish-birth-certificate-online.html

If you know his DOB, full name, place of birth and parental details, you should be fine. Even if you don't have all the details, they might be able to narrow it down - I was able to get a UK death certificate by submitting name details and the year of death.

Blue Jam

I don't know his middle name or parental details, or his exact DOB or date of death... I did manage to find his marriage registration details though, searching Liverpool's records online. Getting my mother's birth certificate would be pretty straightforward too- another very common Irish Catholic name but she was a war baby and born in a small village before moving back to Liverpool so that was easy to find. I have been told that finding old records, from before 1930 or thereabouts, might be tough though.

How much does the whole thing cost? I had been thinking of doing an Ancestry.com free trial to get some missing details but I'm not sure if it would be worth it in my case. I'm intending to stay living and working in Scotland now but having less to worry about going through airports might be handy.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 02, 2020, 01:55:32 PM
How much does the whole thing cost?

€278 to register as a foreign birth, plus €90 for the 10-year passport itself. Make sure you've got long-form versions of your birth certificate (and any other certificates you're supplying with your application) to avoid any unnecessary postage costs and delays.

Ferris

My mum reckoned it cost about 300 quid, and took 18 months all in. Nice little project on the back burner.

Blue Jam

Thanks, Pseudopath and Ferris. Not that I need another lockdown project but I have saved up a bit of money this year and an EU passport could be useful, cheers.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 02, 2020, 02:12:16 PM
Thanks, Pseudopath and Ferris. Not that I need another lockdown project but I have saved up a bit of money this year and an EU passport could be useful, cheers.

My mum also enjoyed the research and feeling more connected to bits of her (my?) family that she didn't know much about. They're planning a trip around Ireland to look at all these places now, like an unfilmed Who Do You Think You Are.

So maybe that's an extra selling point? Mind you they're old and old people are bang into all that ancestry DNA stuff. My dad reckons he's traced our family back to the 1450s, but his evidence seems to mainly be geocities-tier websites run by similarly old men. Anyway.

MojoJojo

My eldest brother is doing this, and since he's done all the hard work gathering all the documents I probably should do it too. It's a shame I can't pass it on to my kids though.

Unger

I could get an Egyptian passport but I don't really see any benefits.  Apart from regular fistings at customs.

TrenterPercenter

I am one of those people who applied in Feb this year and is still waiting. Boo.

Paul Calf

Scotland is now 100% run by neolib nationalists and English Conservatives. All of the Scottish people I know are fucking wicked and I wish I could live nearer to them, but Scottish election results seem to suggest that perhaps they're not representative.

Blinder Data

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 02, 2020, 10:42:19 PM
I am one of those people who applied in Feb this year and is still waiting. Boo.

Wait till Ireland is out of lockdown, get someone up the duff and tell the passport office. You'll be an Irishman in no time, lad