Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:22:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is Chrome being all sluggish and that for anyone else today?

Started by Dr Rock, October 28, 2020, 02:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Hae to keep refreshing to stay on the same page, etc. Well?

Shit Good Nose

I've noticed certain websites being very slow to load pics and vids, but I just put it down to a problem with those certain websites rather than Chrome.  I've just tried the sluggish ones on FireFox and they're fine, so it could well be a general issue with Chrome.

JesusAndYourBush

It's sluggish on facebook, but that's more to do with all the data harvesting and other nefarious stuff that goes on beneath the surface.

If you have the Adblock Plus extension then that's the likely reason Chrome is slow.

evilcommiedictator

Websites are bloated, I'd doubt it's Adblock Plus causing it - it should make things faster, if anything.

You can always check what your computer is doing, and now much resources are being used, Task manager in Windows, and I'm sure Apple has something too. TO me, Chrome has gone from the amazing alternative to bloated IE and Firefox, to being incredibly slow and resource hungry (not to mention Google tracking you). Firefox was then the choice, and seems to be going OK

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 29, 2020, 01:45:02 AM
Websites are bloated, I'd doubt it's Adblock Plus causing it - it should make things faster, if anything.

I was using Adblock Plus until a year or two ago, then I discovered how much slower it was making things and ditched it for other adblockers that work just as well but without the slowdown.  Just thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sebastian Cobb

Do you keep a lot of tabs open? The Great Suspender can save the state so it's not gobbling ram.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on October 29, 2020, 01:45:02 AM

You can always check what your computer is doing, and now much resources are being used, Task manager in Windows, and I'm sure Apple has something too. TO me, Chrome has gone from the amazing alternative to bloated IE and Firefox, to being incredibly slow and resource hungry (not to mention Google tracking you). Firefox was then the choice, and seems to be going OK

I've gone back to Firefox recently, I moved to Chrome mostly because it provided a better synchronised experience between desktop and mobile, as I really didn't like the mobile version of Firefox. I eventually tried it again and it's a lot better now and because it supports extensions you can use adblock and privacybadger on mobile. The ability to send a tab to another device is great too.

The browsing experience still isn't quite as slick as Chrome(ium) though but being away from Google and it seeming to be a bit more privacy-focused makes up for it.

Sadly it looks like Mozilla are gutting a lot of their staff working on privacy-focused stuff and I can see them ruining it over time.

If you want performance, I've heard good things about Edge, from what I can tell it's basially a Chromium fork that benefits from optimisations from Mickeysoft's own knowledge of their os and api's. Although I think I'm still sore from the dark days of IE and I switched to Firebird in about 2002!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 29, 2020, 11:57:07 AM
Do you keep a lot of tabs open? The Great Suspender can save the state so it's not gobbling ram.

No it was just rubbish.  I'm currently using Scriptblock & Flashblock and have no complaints.

EDIT: I'm not sure why I still have flashblock actually, as I don't even have flash installed on this browser.