Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 10:50:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Project Twenty21 (medical cannabis)

Started by BeardFaceMan, October 28, 2020, 03:41:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

https://drugscience.org.uk/twenty21-is-now-live/

Anybody had a go at getting involved with this? Thinking of giving it a go, I'm seeing mostly good things about it so far. And £150 quid an ounce isn't ideal but it's 100 quid cheaper than what I'm paying at the moment and it would be nice to get it legally and not be treated like a fucking leper for taking medicine to get through the day in one piece.

SpiderChrist

Can I just get a teenth? Bit short at the mo.

Bernice

I have an anxiety disorder and used to smoke a shit ton of weed. These days when I have a toke of a friend's big skunky drugstick I end up going half insane thinking about thinking about thinking about thinking. Might make me an interesting test case though, and I wonder if some high CBD low THC hash wouldn't yield some more positive results for me.

imitationleather

Noodle Lizard

All these studies have already been done in plenty of other countries over the past few decades, and the conclusion has overwhelmingly been "Yes, marijuana is quite good at treating various ailments, or at the very least isn't particularly dangerous". I've no idea why the UK is so reluctant to at least make it (properly) available for that purpose.

The UK is also the only country/culture I've experienced that's obsessed with the Reefer Madness-esque idea that using it causes psychosis, couldn't move for fearmongering shite like that in the mid-2000s, but it's not really a topic elsewhere.

Dex Sawash

It is the best drug when I am suffering from 'not being particularly high, right now'

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Bernice on October 28, 2020, 05:03:10 PM
I have an anxiety disorder and used to smoke a shit ton of weed. These days when I have a toke of a friend's big skunky drugstick I end up going half insane thinking about thinking about thinking about thinking. Might make me an interesting test case though, and I wonder if some high CBD low THC hash wouldn't yield some more positive results for me.

There are not a lot of options at the moment but they are also selling oil as well as flower, you might be better off with that.

Sebastian Cobb

I find vaping makes a difference over smoking it, both less 'fuzzy' and 'clearer' but also less likely to get paranoid.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 28, 2020, 06:23:26 PM
All these studies have already been done in plenty of other countries over the past few decades, and the conclusion has overwhelmingly been "Yes, marijuana is quite good at treating various ailments, or at the very least isn't particularly dangerous". I've no idea why the UK is so reluctant to at least make it (properly) available for that purpose.

The UK is also the only country/culture I've experienced that's obsessed with the Reefer Madness-esque idea that using it causes psychosis, couldn't move for fearmongering shite like that in the mid-2000s, but it's not really a topic elsewhere.

Theresa May's line on that was that there was no British research and it had to be good old fashioned British research that said that or she wouldn't take any notice. Only research is next to impossible to take place in this country because of the ridiculous restrictions around it. Of course, she was saying all this while she okayed her government drug czar's husband to grow over 40 acres a year of the stuff where a lot of it went to GW Pharmaceuticals, where her own husband is a major shareholder, while not allowing GPs to prescribe the overpriced medicine GW produce.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on October 28, 2020, 06:23:26 PM

Yep, the official line is that it's a dangerous Class B drug (thanks Blunkett, you wanker) except when we grow it for export to other more enlightened countries, hypocritical bastards that we are.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 28, 2020, 08:00:23 PM
Theresa May's line on that was that there was no British research and it had to be good old fashioned British research that said that or she wouldn't take any notice. Only research is next to impossible to take place in this country because of the ridiculous restrictions around it.

Hah, yes, let's see if people start acting psychotic when loaded up with pill-form cannabis in a padded cell for two weeks!

It wasn't just her, though. I remember Gordon Brown I think outright refusing to acknowledge that his own government-funded study about the negative impacts of cannabis (and other drugs) demonstrated quite clearly how relatively inconsequential it is (with alcohol ranking far higher on the damage potential index). For some reason, the UK is just incredibly reluctant to make any progress with it, despite it having been legalised (both medicinally and recreationally) in countless other similar countries with no significant ill-effect and plenty of benefits. Even hardline conservatives in the US don't really give a shit about it anymore. Almost certain to go recreational in Arizona this election, and federal legalisation can't be far off.

BeardFaceMan

Well, after a lot of waiting and fucking about and jumping through hoops for a Harley Street clinic, I received my first prescription today. 50 quid for 10 grams of flower and 130 quid for a months supply of THC and CBD oil, it's expensive trying to be not ill. Getting it delivered to my door by next day delivery is better than going to the local park to buy it though, so theres that.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on April 09, 2021, 05:16:13 PM
Getting it delivered to my door by next day delivery is better than going to the local park to buy it though, so theres that.

You don't need a script for that these days, just a coinbase account ;)

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 09, 2021, 06:30:35 PM
You don't need a script for that these days, just a coinbase account ;)

Heh yeah I tried that for a while, but this way everything I order actually arrives.

Noodle Lizard

How in the fuck has the UK not legalised medical cannabis yet. As in, for anyone who feels they could benefit from it.

Basically, why have they not just fucking legalised it in general already. Are they still pretending it drives the average person insane?

bgmnts

I consumed some edibles once in my early 20s and look at the fucking state of me now.

The Mollusk

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 10, 2021, 12:52:27 AM
How in the fuck has the UK not legalised medical cannabis yet. As in, for anyone who feels they could benefit from it.

Basically, why have they not just fucking legalised it in general already. Are they still pretending it drives the average person insane?

It was made legal in November 2018 but NHS doctors have basically been instructed not to give to anyone. It's easy enough to get hold of if you go to a private clinic, it's just pricey. There is a list of approved illnesses you need to have, and then there's a list of medication where you need to have tried at least two different ones (stuff like pregabalin, gabapentin, amitriptyline etc). If you've done that then you qualify, just get a summary of care from your doctor and send it to the clinic, job done. Although that process did take me about 6 months.

It was made legal when there was that big fuss in the news about that little kid with epilepsy (I think in Northern Ireland), there was a mass of public support for the poor kid and it was made legal. Only there is a kid in the news again now who is suffering because his mum can't get his cannabis oil anymore, it's when things like this happen that the general public can see what bullshit the current cannabis laws are so I can't see it being too long now before it's properly available to everyone. When there are positive cannabis stories of morning TV, and after a decade of giving me shit for using cannabis for my illnesses my elderly mother is talking about how she saw a little kid take some oil and 10 minutes later his seizures had stopped and why isn't it legal yet, that's the kind of thing that changes peoples minds. Progress has been real, real fucking slow but it's happening.

Barry Admin

I saw my friend saying New York was getting it this past week, I think?  It's still a fucking absurd situation here in the UK; I've barely been able to sleep for more than 15 minutes at a time all week, which has an enormous cumulative effect on my mood and general ability to actually function, but a bong would have me snoring like a fat babby within seconds.  I dunno that I could ever have foreseen that the USA would be more enlightened on us on this issue, back when The Independent were campaigning in the early noughties and stuff. 

Just makes no fucking sense.

Noodle Lizard

It's been medically legal in a few states since the 90s. When California went recreational a few years ago, it barely made a difference since it was already practically legal for anyone who wanted it. Now you just see actual billboards advertising weed stores with hipstery names and "craft" cred, innumerable options and combinations of clean, good-quality and fully-tested concoctions of the stuff, and it's easier to get it delivered to your house than booze is. Surely that's a far less risky situation than settling for whatever's in the bag Mad Phil pulls out of his pants that week. It's a real shame weed started disagreeing with me a few years before I made the move, as teenage me would've been in heaven.

But yeah, with all the overwhelming real-world evidence of states/countries legalising it medicinally and/or recreationally and it all being absolutely fine, it's baffling that other countries wouldn't follow suit. For the tax money, if nothing else. The UK seems especially reluctant, but I can't figure out why - especially when its prohibition has been far more dangerous than the drug itself (remember the "grit weed" epidemic?)

BeardFaceMan

Not just America, but Canada are setting a good example of a country getting by with fully legal medical and recreational weed, the country hasn't burned down or anything yet.

GW Pharmaceuticals are working on a cannabis-based medicine to treat epilepsy in kids, the price is going to be around 36 grand a year. Absolutely no need for it to be that high, actual cost would be less than a tenth of that, but the reason the price is so high is because that's how much GW's other shitty medicine costs so they have to price the cannabis meds that high so they don't fuck up the market. They are the worst kind of heartless, greedy cunts, that's why it's not legal yet.

Ferris

With the difference that it is illegal in the US at the federal level, and admitting you have ever used it (even as a Canadian in Canada where it is entirely legal and regulated) means you are banned from entering the US ever.

That's why the stores in the US are in such a state - if I run a weed business, I can't get a bank account (because for the government, proving a business checking account for a head shop in California is the same as giving loans to narco terrorists) so any major banks want nothing to do with you.

Which means you have to do everything in cash. Which means you have huge sums of cash sitting about (and how do you even deposit it because you don't have an account), so all your employees are paid in cash, so your store and staff become targets for robberies, so you have to hire armed guards....

Etc etc. The US federal position on cannabis is bonkers. Even when looking the other way, they cause harm and violence around cannabis far in excess than the drug itself.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2021, 01:50:16 AMThat's why the stores in the US are in such a state - if I run a weed business, I can't get a bank account (because for the government, proving a business checking account for a head shop in California is the same as giving loans to narco terrorists) so any major banks want nothing to do with you.

Which means you have to do everything in cash. Which means you have huge sums of cash sitting about (and how do you even deposit it because you don't have an account), so all your employees are paid in cash, so your store and staff become targets for robberies, so you have to hire armed guards....

Yeah, that's where it gets kind of ridiculous. State rights are a bit of a double-edged sword. Luckily it seems as though they'll be legalising it federally within the next year or two.

I'm surprised the Netherlands or Portugal haven't officially legalised it either. Is there a EU barrier for that sort of thing?

poo

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on October 28, 2020, 07:56:35 PM
I find vaping makes a difference over smoking it, both less 'fuzzy' and 'clearer' but also less likely to get paranoid.

Can you recommend a device?

Ferris

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 11, 2021, 02:24:03 AM
Yeah, that's where it gets kind of ridiculous. State rights are a bit of a double-edged sword. Luckily it seems as though they'll be legalising it federally within the next year or two.

I'm surprised the Netherlands or Portugal haven't officially legalised it either. Is there a EU barrier for that sort of thing?

I think it is UN policy (at the behest of the US and their "War on Drugs"). Nobody wants to run afoul of that.

Sorry for diverting the thread.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: poo on April 11, 2021, 09:05:24 AM
Can you recommend a device?

Depends what you're after.

If you don't care about portability a plug-in/tabletop device like the Arizer Extreme Q is good value and excellent.

If you want something portable that'll live forever, the Dynavap is good value, it's not battery powered, you just heat it with a jet lighter (although you can buy/make electric induction heaters for them).

I've also heard good things about the Arizer solo from people I trust but haven't tried it myself.

BeardFaceMan

The Arizer Solo is the one I have, though I don't use it that often, I'm trying to wean myself off tobacco and joints so I can use the vape fulltime. Been very good from the little I've used it, although I think there's been an updated Solo II version released since.

Cuntbeaks

Another vote for the Arizer Solo II. Great battery life and decent airflow, as long as you don't pack it too much. The bowl is pretty small though, but that suits me. If you want a vape with a big bowl and unrestricted airflow, then go for The Mighty.

I can also vouch for the desktop Arizer Extreme Q, it offers cloud as well as whip delivery. The biggest difference between this and the Solo is the flavour that it can deliver. Smoking good weed with it is a real pleasure and something to be savoured. Having a few different types of an evening can make for a nice tasting session. It's also great for solids.