Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

One album and out

Started by sardines, October 28, 2020, 09:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

This thread should be renamed 'Fuck me, they made a second album?', because a lot of the bands I assumed made one album and bolted appeared to hobble on a bit longer.

Case in point, I was sure that Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia had only made one album, but they actually managed TWO.

(Although looking into MBICR did remind me of another band from the same period, Cay, who genuinely did only have one album. I bought it at the time and remember enjoying it enough)

Egyptian Feast

jobotic

Don't know that one, but I have got the Gifted and Thank You Baby singles.

Gifted is a tune too.

Fronty Prongs

Jurojin, riff-prog outfit. Celebrated for eclectic lineup - metal guitarist, jazz bassist, (something) drummer, tabla player, and Maynard James Keenan-influenced vocals. Damn good.

imitationleather

Did Egyptian Hip Hop only do one album? I have a feeling that was the case.

I liked a couple of songs they did. I wonder why they disappeared.

Serious Drinking

Baader Meinhoff

Barmy Army

SteveDave

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on November 02, 2020, 02:13:14 PM
Fucking TUNE.

It truly fucking is. I told Michael from off of V-Twin that it was in my top 10 singles of all time when he was in 1990s and he gave me a very sweaty hug and said "No-one's ever said that to me!"

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: turnstyle on November 02, 2020, 02:06:07 PM
This thread should be renamed 'Fuck me, they made a second album?', because a lot of the bands I assumed made one album and bolted appeared to hobble on a bit longer.

Case in point, I was sure that Meanwhile, Back In Communist Russia had only made one album, but they actually managed TWO.

A couple of years ago I put my record collection into Discogs to get a fullish database, and I was amazed as how often that happened, Ooh, I used to like them I thought I had all their albums, cuz I really like 'em and they'd released another 2 albums I had no idea about.

kalowski

I have an album by Kleenex Girl Wonder which I have always assumed was a one off. Just had a quick check and the band have released 20 albums.

the ouch cube

The Nymphs, whose lone 1991 album straddled the GN'R/Jane's Addiction/Stooges sound of alternative rock of the era very nicely, and whose allegedly mentally unhinged vocalist, Inger Lorre, was described by Simon Reynolds as " a glam metal Kristen Hersh".

They broke up because of her antics, at least one of them has now died, and that was all that became of that.

buzby

As outlined in the TOTP thread, Electribe 101. Four singles and one album between 1988 and 1991. They seemingly didn't have much support from A&R at Mercury/Phonogram or their manager if their glacial release schedule is anything to go by. They recorded a second album in early 1991 but the label refused to release it. Unable to release anything, they decided to split in 1992 with Billie Ray Martin going solo and the 4 blokes continuing as Groove Corporation. They are probably best known for having their name stolen by Korg for it's series of grooveboxes in the late 90s.

Icehaven

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on October 30, 2020, 07:06:56 PM
Exploding Hearts were great indeed, and would certainly have done much more had that horrific tragedy not occurred. There was a (literally and figuratively) posthumous compilation of stray tracks, released on the unfortunately-named Dirtnap Records.

Tonelessly factual Wikipedia sentences of the day;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exploding_Hearts

QuoteShortly after the release of their debut studio album, Guitar Romantic, Cox, Fitzgerald, and Gage were killed in a car accident on July 20, 2003, after which the band ceased to exist....
...The band disbanded in the aftermath of the accident.

Dr Syntax Head

I really really really likes the Ambulance Ltd album when that came out. One album and gone. Shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plARzmiX5k

Jockice

Quote from: Gripperstebson on November 03, 2020, 11:25:22 PM
Serious Drinking

Good call. And also one of my favourite band names ever. Apparently it was a pisstake of Garry Bushell, who they despised and who used to go on about how much he'd drink during interviews. But he took them seriously, thinking they were men after his own heart.

Jockice

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on November 05, 2020, 06:33:13 PM
I really really really likes the Ambulance Ltd album when that came out. One album and gone. Shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plARzmiX5k

I only count Crispy Ambulance as having done one album. It's better that way.

Custard

Cajun Dance Party put out one pretty good album back in 2008, then split. I played it for the first time in years the other day, and it's a solid record

Having said that, I believe two of the members then formed Yuck, who I'm not as familiar with. They've had three albums so far, which according to RYM seem to be well regarded

Artie Fufkin

Has anyone mentioned The Seahorses? John Squire's post-Stone Roses project? The album was called Do It Yourself, and it's great!

DrGreggles

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on November 13, 2020, 02:48:59 PM
The album was called Do It Yourself, and it's great!

One of those things is true.

McChesney Duntz

What about the Hampton Grease Band? One album - a double, at that - which is allegedly the second-worst-selling album in the Columbia Records catalogue. (Never could get a proper answer on what the worst seller was.)

phantom_power

Delakota. One fantastic single, a decent album and then gonzo

sardines

Has anyone mentioned The Seahorses? John Squire's post-Stone Roses project? The album was called Do It Yourself, and it's great!

Completely ruined (arguably improved?) by Mark n Lard's take on Love Is The Law.

sevendaughters

Autotelia are one from this year. Only one album called I. One of them - also in the excellent duo Tomaga - died recently, so I can't imagine there'll be anything else from them. Bit like Cluster and Eno and Labradford, them lads. Nothing 'new' but very well executed.

crankshaft

"She was a rum old slapper and we always tried to get her pants off when she phoned". No thank you. In a sea of terrible "I'll show them!" albums from discarded bandmembers, the Seahorses album gives the second Bernard Butler solo album a run for its money for sheer awfulness.

Custard

Heh, dunno why but I've never bothered with Butler's second album. Despite really enjoying the first

I think ol' big mouth Alan McGee tanked his solo career when he said he was the new Neil Young. What a ridiculous statement. How was Butler ever gonna live up to that?

As a side note, Butler's records with David McAlmont are fantastic. Pity they haven't done more

PaulTMA

Quote from: kalowski on November 04, 2020, 12:32:41 PM
I have an album by Kleenex Girl Wonder which I have always assumed was a one off. Just had a quick check and the band have released 20 albums.

Is that Ponyoak?  Seems to overshadow the other albums on account of being a 25-song double album where every song is kinda perfect, which he followed up with relatively odd stuff

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: crankshaft on November 15, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
"She was a rum old slapper and we always tried to get her pants off when she phoned". No thank you. In a sea of terrible "I'll show them!" albums from discarded bandmembers, the Seahorses album gives the second Bernard Butler solo album a run for its money for sheer awfulness.
Quote from: DrGreggles on November 13, 2020, 03:16:48 PM
One of those things is true.
I hate you both

Chriddof

The Seahorses managed to record most of a planned second album, but then they split up and nothing was officially released. Bootlegs did leak out, though - one of Squire's songs for it, "Tomb Raid", was basically about how much he fancied the popular big-breasted video game character Lara Croft:

QuoteI've got my reasons for leaving
Please don't you beg me to stay
I've replaced your face, I'm a terminal case,
I'm off to the great wall today

On a tomb raid
I'm gonna score
On a tomb raid
Quick draw

I'm in love with a lady called Lara,
She's a digital dream come true
What grace, what poise, what posture
She'll shoot to kill just for you

On a tomb raid
I wanna score
On a tomb raid
Quick draw

Darling oh darling I love ya
But I know that you'll never be mine
The sweet information, pixels are taking me down,
One step at a time

On a tomb raid
I wanna score
On a tomb raid
Quick draw
On a tomb raid
I wanna score
On a tomb raid
Quick draw

The track is on Youtube.

Custard

Those look like joke lyrics, but I'm very happy they're real

Now if Morrissey can finally finish writing that 12 minute epic about Manhunt, we'll be sorted

crankshaft

Quote from: Chriddof on November 16, 2020, 12:57:16 PM
The Seahorses managed to record most of a planned second album, but then they split up and nothing was officially released. Bootlegs did leak out, though - one of Squire's songs for it, "Tomb Raid", was basically about how much he fancied the popular big-breasted video game character Lara Croft:

The track is on Youtube.

My god. Still, at least he didn't turn out to be a conspiracy theory-spouting, homophobic, woman-attacking loon, so I'll forgive him his terrible, terrible songwriting.

kalowski

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 16, 2020, 11:22:02 AM
Is that Ponyoak?  Seems to overshadow the other albums on account of being a 25-song double album where every song is kinda perfect, which he followed up with relatively odd stuff
No. After Mathematics.