Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:46:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

One album and out

Started by sardines, October 28, 2020, 09:59:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnstyle

Quote from: Chriddof on November 16, 2020, 12:57:16 PM
The Seahorses managed to record most of a planned second album, but then they split up and nothing was officially released. Bootlegs did leak out, though - one of Squire's songs for it, "Tomb Raid", was basically about how much he fancied the popular big-breasted video game character Lara Croft:

The track is on Youtube.

How off your tits on coke do you have to be to write that, show it to other actual humans, record it in a studio, play it back, and think 'yeah, happy with that'.

I'm switching off the internet for today, nothing is going to top this.

EDIT: Thinking about it, was this around the time of the first Tomb Raider film? Maybe they thought they could sell it to the studio or something. I'm sorry, I'm just really struggling justify this things existence.

Custard

Nah, Squire just really liked Tomb Raider!

Maybe this is the track that made the singer Chris Helme decide it's probably better if they didn't bother anymore

Imagine being not only being presented with that, but then being asked to sing it. In front of people

sirhenry

Quote from: sardines on October 28, 2020, 09:59:35 PM
Acts who you fell for immediately who never really kicked on commercially and appear to have disappeared without a trace.

Sort of cheating, this, but 801.
Fell madly in love with the album Listen Now but that was the only studio album they ever recorded. And they only ever played 3 gigs[nb]Though they seem to have briefly reformed for some gigs with a different line-up (presumably around Manzanera) 20 years later[/nb], one of which I was lucky to see at Reading.

They did bring out a live album that was equally stunning (one of the first ever recorded straight from the stage outputs to mobile mixing desk). Then, I've only just discovered, two more live albums.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/801_(band)#Live_albums

Does one studio and 3 live albums count for this thread?

NoSleep

801 reminds me to mention Quiet Sun which also featured Phil Manzanera as well as the future drummer for This Heat, Charles Hayward.

It also reminded me that he was in Stomu Yamashta's supergroup, Go, but I've just discovered they managed three albums.

Delivery only managed to make one album (Fools Meeting) before splitting off into various Canterbury groups (Matching Mole, Soft Machine, Caravan, Gong) then morphing into Hatfield & The North.

PaulTMA

Quote from: kalowski on November 16, 2020, 06:47:57 PM
No. After Mathematics.

Ponyoak is the standout album which I'd strongly recommend, After Mathematics has some good stuff but things had got confusing by including some unfinished instrumentals and by him sometimes going hip-hop.  The album before it, Smith, is a double-CD concept album opera with a story that goes nowhere and appeared to not maintain the momentum he managed with Ponyoak.  Again, the actual songs are good but in terms of maddening 'career' decisions, it's the lo-fi Neither Fish Nor Flesh.

Pauline Walnuts

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: crankshaft on November 15, 2020, 04:40:19 PM
"She was a rum old slapper and we always tried to get her pants off when she phoned". No thank you. In a sea of terrible "I'll show them!" albums from discarded bandmembers, the Seahorses album gives the second Bernard Butler solo album a run for its money for sheer awfulness.

The lyrics to Love is the Law are an absolute embarrassment, but I'll defend it to the death on account of the guitar riff, which is absolutely killer.

(I'm also the proud owner of a first-pressing CD of K by Kula Shaker, and the deeply ashamed owner of a first-pressing CD of Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts by Kula Shaker).

jobotic

I had no idea there was an 801 studio album!

Is it good?

crankshaft

Quote from: DJ Bob Hoskins on November 17, 2020, 06:13:27 PM
(I'm also the proud owner of a first-pressing CD of K by Kula Shaker, and the deeply ashamed owner of a first-pressing CD of Peasants, Pigs & Astronauts by Kula Shaker).

Crispian Mills was quite ahead of his time with the whole "those Nazis were actually pretty clever guys, they were really into the mystical". Little fascist twerp.

Acintya bheda bheda Twattva.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: crankshaft on November 17, 2020, 09:43:26 PM
Crispian Mills was quite ahead of his time with the whole "those Nazis were actually pretty clever guys, they were really into the mystical". Little fascist twerp.

Acintya bheda bheda Twattva.

I'm sure that quote about swastikas being brilliant was taken out of his arse context.

Bowie had set the trend a couple of decades previously, of course.

Quote from: https://www.playboy.com/read/playboy-interview-david-bowie
Adolf Hitler was one of the first rock stars.... Think about it. Look at some of his films and see how he moved. I think he was quite as good as Jagger. It's astounding. And boy, when he hit that stage, he worked an audience.

Gregory Torso

Rapeman, for fairly obvious reasons. Great band but what a dumb name.

sirhenry

Quote from: jobotic on November 17, 2020, 06:23:33 PM
I had no idea there was an 801 studio album!

Is it good?
Quote from: sirhenry on November 17, 2020, 11:22:29 AM
Sort of cheating, this, but 801.
Fell madly in love with the album Listen Now
Have a guess[nb]Hint: I still love it.[/nb]
If you like Eno's early song albums (Before and After and Taking Tiger Mountain), it's a belter. If not, you're rongwrong.

jobotic

So you quite like it, right?

I do like them very very much. Thanks - will look it up.

Red Lantern

Eaux - released an album called Plastics in 2014, which I listened to a great deal. I saw them live twice. They subsequently disappeared without trace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlXXjNObGoc

Nervous Conditions - The first time I saw them was summer 2017, bottom of the bill on a Friday night at the Shacklewell Arms. They blew me away, I'd never heard anything like them. An 8-piece band with two drummers, a violinist and a saxophonist. I saw them live 10 times before they were cancelled in January 2018, after allegations about the frontman. They recorded an album, but it was never released. Six members of the band (minus the frontman) have since reformed as Black Country New Road.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6JykRFXC0E

sevendaughters

if we're doing unofficial one and dones then I put forward Drunkdriver, whose album deal with Load was cancelled after rumours about the drummer came to light from the days he was in the pre-No Age band Wives. They had a couple of singles and a fierce live rep. The guitarist bought the pressed copies and flogged them, so it is out there I guess. Great fiery noise-hardcore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNF1AziQmeE

Campbell Soupe

How about One Dove? A couple of cooler-than-thou white labels in the early 90s, followed up by the belated Morning Dove White album - a gorgeously blissed-out collection of Balearic tinged dance-pop. Facing charges, internally and externally, of selling out; they imploded whilst working on a second album.  Sadly, I think they're now best remembered (if that's the right word) for their lovely Breakdown being on the soundtrack of a shit Charlie Sheen movie.  Dot Alison is still knocking about. Not sure what happened to the two other guys.