Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:40:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How coronavirus is spread through the air

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, October 29, 2020, 08:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Interesting, the IDEAL case though. i.e. tight choreographing, almost like robots.

I heard that there was this one man who had all piercings and the virus got in through the holes.

Paul Calf

Slo-Mo Guys explain why masks work and why you should wear them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ66wJFD3bs

Slo-Mo Guys are generally fucking awesome and you should probably subscribe, but this is an even better illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tp0zB904Mc

greencalx

How the fuck did people think it was transmitted, if not through the air?

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: greencalx on October 29, 2020, 10:54:46 AM
How the fuck did people think it was transmitted, if not through the air?
Doorknobs.

Dex Sawash

greencalx

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 29, 2020, 10:58:07 AM
Doorknobs.

Same to you - with knobs on.

I'm surprised that anyone would believe for more than a microsecond that indirect transmission via surfaces would be more effective than direct transmission by someone breathing the fuck over you. Odd.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on October 29, 2020, 11:01:22 AM
Bummimg

I can get behind that.

Zetetic

Quote from: greencalx on October 29, 2020, 11:02:27 AM
Same to you - with knobs on.

I'm surprised that anyone would believe for more than a microsecond that indirect transmission via surfaces would be more effective than direct transmission by someone breathing the fuck over you. Odd.

Some respiratory viruses are believed to spread mostly by surfaces, so it's not so ridiculous to believe that might be the case here. Rhinoviruses for a start, which is why we're still seeing a lot of spread of them right now (and consequent colds) despite masks and distancing.

I appreciate that's a slightly different question whether you'd rather walk through an area that someone else has touched stuff in or have them cough all over you...

Chedney Honks

Fucking mad that this was discussed about seven months ago with that Chinese restaurant and fan modelling and yet it just disappeared as a concept for most people. Wash your fucking hands? How about don't breathe inside any room.

steveh

Read somewhere recently that Germany is giving all schools air purifiers for their classrooms and offering grants to organisations for work to make their ventilation systems less likely to cause the virus to spread. Don't think there's been any suggestions of doing anything like that in the UK.

Replies From View

Here in UK schools we are encouraged keep classroom windows open but people keep closing them because they can't quite manage putting layers on or something