Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:34:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Bobby Ball dies

Started by Fambo Number Mive, October 29, 2020, 09:46:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Very sad news. He died following a positive test for Covid-19:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54731384

I didn't know he'd created a children's animated TV series - Juniper Jungle.

TheMonk

At least Tommy will be able to get his song done without interruption now.

Billy

I'd be shitting myself if I was Norman Pace right now.

In all seriousness, sad news - they disappeared from TV too long ago for me to know of them outside of those funny blokes on the Safestyle UK adverts, but from what I've seen of them on repeats (maybe Wheeltappers and Shunters or The Good Old Days?) they seemed like a good laugh.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 29, 2020, 09:46:30 AM
Very sad news. He died following a positive test for Covid-19:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54731384

I didn't know he'd created a children's animated TV series - Juniper Jungle.
Good riddance to the evangelical bully.

My main memory of Juniper Jungle is from when I went round to my friend's house at age six. His parents ran the local old folks' home, and we went into the TV room there and a crowd of residents were watching Juniper Jungle with waiting-for-death looks on their faces.

Malcy

Shite news, such a shame.

dissolute ocelot

Bobby Ball, bouncing back no more.

Not many old-school double acts left. EDIT: David Steel and David Owen are both still with us!

Small Man Big Horse

Ah, this is sad news, I was very fond of them as a kid, though I've never watched anything with them as an adult as I fear it wouldn't stand up.

Norton Canes

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 29, 2020, 10:26:02 AM
Not many old-school double acts left. EDIT: David Steel and David Owen are both still with us!

Sapphire and Steel are still with us.

Captain Z

I was aware of C&B as a youngster, but don't specifically remember ever watching them on any show.

But he was fun as the regular character of Lee's dad in Not Going Out, which I'm sure many people will know him for in recent years.

non capisco

Gulftastic

Watched him as a youngster but never thought that much, then saw him in panto in 1985 and laughed myself daft. I was a fan of his from then on. A genuinely funny person.

kalowski

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 29, 2020, 10:34:21 AM
Watched him as a youngster but never thought that much, then saw him in panto in 1985 and laughed myself daft. I was a fan of his from then on. A genuinely funny person.
I saw him in panto too, probably around the same time. I reckon it was somewhere like Romiley Forum. The show was Babes in the Wood and he was indeed very funny. Did the whole routine: braces, pinched me skin, rock on, Tommy.

Cannon was shit.

Gulftastic

The Huff Po have used a picture of Robert Winston in their obit.

Gradual Decline

'The Boys In Blue' on Blu-ray, please.

Ray Travez

Quote from: non capisco on October 29, 2020, 10:33:31 AM
Rot On, Tommy!

Sorry.

Ball's out

Please also accept my apologies

Cannon was OK in my view. Contributed a lot more than Syd Little to a routine, i.e. there was a genuine dialogue not just one guy knocking himself out while the other just stands there (to paraphrase Clive James).

I'm guessing that L&L got more work longer into the 80s because Ball had a more nasty edge for family TV and couldn't act as well as Eddie could in safe Two Ronnies-style sketches written by Barry Cryer et al.

Jockice

Quote from: Captain Z on October 29, 2020, 10:32:18 AM
I was aware of C&B as a youngster, but don't specifically remember ever watching them on any show.

But he was fun as the regular character of Lee's dad in Not Going Out, which I'm sure many people will know him for in recent years.

Yeah. I didn't find Cannon And Ball funny (although my sister did) but he was good in that.

Norton Canes

You've got me skin! (and unfortunately most of me internal organs)

Purple Toupee

Genuinely just found out that he is not Zoe Ball's father. RIP.

Tony Yeboah

It's a Six Foot Under Bobby Ball Man!

ian01604

Is this forum named after them

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on October 29, 2020, 11:29:55 AM
Cannon was OK in my view. Contributed a lot more than Syd Little to a routine, i.e. there was a genuine dialogue not just one guy knocking himself out while the other just stands there (to paraphrase Clive James).

I'm guessing that L&L got more work longer into the 80s because Ball had a more nasty edge for family TV and couldn't act as well as Eddie could in safe Two Ronnies-style sketches written by Barry Cryer et al.

Greg Dyke absolutely hated them and once he got the LWT job, they were done for.

The Giggling Bean

I'm gutted. I used to watch them as a kid and have a nostalgic soft spot for The Boys In Blue. I wanted to catch one of their live shows every time I've been to Blackpool but unfortunately they were never on at the times I was there. I had tickets to see them last year in Liverpool, unfortunately it got pulled due to Covid. It now seems like that boat has sailed.

Genuinely sad about this.

kalowski

Could Tommy continue with Johnny or even Michael?

QDRPHNC

Adored him when I was a kid.

DrGreggles

Quote from: The Giggling Bean on October 29, 2020, 12:33:01 PM
I wanted to catch one of their live shows every time I've been to Blackpool but unfortunately they were never on at the times I was there. I had tickets to see them last year in Liverpool, unfortunately it got pulled due to Covid. It now seems like that boat has sailed.

Genuinely sad about this.

Growing up in the glorious North West in the 80s meant that pretty much all my childhood holidays were in Blackpool.
As a result I saw Cannon & Ball several times (my first comedy gigs!) and it was genuinely always a highlight. That said, it was Blackpool...

sevendaughters

Quote from: Gradual Decline on October 29, 2020, 11:03:59 AM
'The Boys In Blue' on Blu-ray, please.

contains one of the most groan-inducing moments in all of Western culture (pre-twitter), the lateral thinking/Bobby lies down visual joke.

DrGreggles

Re-watched TBIB* a couple of months ago (as I appear to have completed films) and it's not very good.
Not sure if this is a 'hasn't aged well' not very good or a 'was never any good' not very good, but the result is pretty much the same.

The theme tune's a banger though.
https://youtu.be/XUt8ARpnDU4

*one for the cool kids there

petril

he never got to reveal all :(