Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:01:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Stardust (2020) - Friggy Starburst and the Spy-Durrs from Marrs

Started by Blumf, October 29, 2020, 02:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

If he doesn't steal a baby and hide in a maze at any point, it can get fucked.

kidsick5000

Where does Stardust cut off the story?
Does it end on a freeze frame with a caption saying "Dave Bowie went on to sells loads – like LOADS – of records."

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Mister Six on November 26, 2020, 03:54:34 AM
Of course, if you want a good film called Stardust...
That's good but it's no match for this Stardust.

And why didn't they call the new film Star Man? Is that a Bowie Trademark? If the makers of Velvet Goldmine could use an actual Bowie song title, then surely this one could have been a bit more inventive.

Icehaven

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 26, 2020, 12:59:24 PM
That's good but it's no match for this Stardust.

And why didn't they call the new film Star Man? Is that a Bowie Trademark? If the makers of Velvet Goldmine could use an actual Bowie song title, then surely this one could have been a bit more inventive.

There's also already a film called Star Man (Jeff Bridges as an alien), not that that's stopped them calling it Stardust either.

Thomas

I think song titles are copyright-free, so they could've gone with 'Starman'. It's lyrics that are off-limits.

I guess 'Stardust' was chosen to chime with that romantic idea that 'we are all stardust' or whatever. It's also Ziggy's legal surname.

Should've called it Glass Spider.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Thomas on November 26, 2020, 01:44:01 PM
I think song titles are copyright-free,

Yep. Movie titles and album titles are also copyright-free (unless they contain made up words) although if you release a film called Raiders of the Lost Ark I imagine Speilberg's lawyers might be sending you some mail.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Has no one else watched this? I feel awfully alone out here, lads.

jobotic

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 26, 2020, 02:08:04 PM
Yep. Movie titles and album titles are also copyright-free (unless they contain made up words) although if you release a film called Raiders of the Lost Ark I imagine Speilberg's lawyers might be sending you some mail.

Lost Ark Raiders is okay?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 26, 2020, 04:46:10 PM

I'll have to consume lots of alcohol so waiting for Friday/Saturday night.

Enabler.

frajer

I was all ready to watch and marvel at this catastrophe, but it sounds like it's too boring even for that?

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 26, 2020, 05:09:54 PM

Enabler.

I watched it while stone-cold sober. Let me know if inebriation improves it (not that I will ever watch it again).

Quote from: frajer on November 26, 2020, 05:28:01 PM
I was all ready to watch and marvel at this catastrophe, but it sounds like it's too boring even for that?

It's a bad film featuring several inadvertently funny moments, but it's not a mirth-inducing calamity. Very much the Ricky Gervais' After Life of rock biopics - a terrible load of old shite, but ultimately bland and tedious.

Mister Six

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on November 26, 2020, 02:08:04 PM

Yeah, trademarking isn't the same as copyright.

SteveDave

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 26, 2020, 04:46:10 PM

I've acquired it but was not up for a cavalcade of shit feat. Marc fucking Maron last night.

Custard

Marc Maron is quite off putting, isn't it? Least in films he doesn't get to talk about himself and his banal existence every 30 seconds, completely killing any flow that's starting to get going

phantom_power

I quite like him as an actor. Lock the gates! Classic. He is good in GLOW as well

Yeah, Maron is the least of this film's problems. He's absolutely fine.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Hand Solo on November 26, 2020, 05:09:54 PM

Will have to put watching this on hold because my friend is a big Bowie fan and she was looking forward to this but has had to admit it's probably shit and wants us to watch it together so we can slag it off. It will probably be somewhat more enjoyable in that context so prob watching Tenet tonight instead which I will probably hate too - didn't like Inception or Interstellar, bloated setpiece-over-story low-high-concept-reaching bore-fests.

SteveDave

We're watching this now.

A 50 year old Marc Bolan?

Johnny "Boy he got a big face!" Flynn looks too much like Noel Fielding.

SteveDave

SteveDave

It's not a bad film it's just incredibly boring for the subject matter.

It's also making me want to do coke.

SteveDave

Mick Ronson will be portrayed tonight by Clinton Baptiste who is from Norn Iron?

Hand Solo

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 30, 2020, 06:38:01 PM
Why is everyone in this film so old? Last of the Summer Glam.

Glamdad

The Glam Metal Defectives

David Fogie

Marc Colon-cancer

Yeah.. I'm out of ideas.

Neomod

Have just acquired this but doubt it will reach the giddy (beard) heights of Summer Dreams.