Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:24:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Futurama re-watch

Started by dead-ced-dead, October 30, 2020, 08:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

Has anyone laughed at Futurama? Come on, be honest.

Sonny_Jim

I'd say there's a least one decent chuckle per episode, but it all hinges on whether you find Fry or Zoidberg funny, as they seem to get the best lines.

The reveal that he did 'the nasty in the pasty' in Roswell that ends well normally gets a laugh out of me.

Definitely agree with the 'revival episodes are mostly shit' though.

Menu

Quote from: The Mollusk on October 30, 2020, 04:31:48 PM
I wonder what Menu has to say about this?!

Hi Menu-fan! I need to watch the later episodes to have an opinion on their quality. A controversial POV for some reason, but I'm sticking to it. DON'T HURT ME.

Actually....I started to watch the post season 4 ones a few months ago but stopped because I couldn't fucking be arsed. It's a cartoon ffs! Grow up! Get a job!

Gulftastic

Cylon & Garfunkel.

C'est magnifique

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Gulftastic on October 31, 2020, 10:30:46 AM
Cylon & Garfunkel.

C'est magnifique

IT'S BEEN A VERY EMOTIONAL DAY FOR ME.

Tombola

I have a lot of time for Futurama, but have always hated the 21st century heads in jars device. Be in the future, Futurama.

sutin

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on October 31, 2020, 03:17:38 AM
I'd say there's a least one decent chuckle per episode, but it all hinges on whether you find Fry or Zoidberg funny, as they seem to get the best lines.

I can't remember who Zoidberg is and I definitely don't remember Fry ever saying anything funny.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Did you literally just have the show on in the background?

JaDanketies

When it started to focus on Fry's unrequited love for Leela was when I went off it. There were definitely some good jokes in it here and there.

"It is true what they say, women are from Omicron Persei 7, men are from Omicron Persei 9."

crankshaft

Quote from: sutin on October 31, 2020, 01:53:34 AM
Has anyone laughed at Futurama? Come on, be honest.

Frequently, and heartily.

sutin

At what? That stupid Homer Simpson robot?

madhair60

Lights! Camera one!

Whirrrr

Camera two!

Whirrrr

Camera three!

Whirrrr

madhair60

Futurama's first four series, broadly speaking, are fucking funny.

Old Nehamkin

The original run is a far better and funnier show than any of those flash-animated netflix cartoons about depressed animals that people pretend are good these days.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on October 31, 2020, 04:59:06 PM
The original run is a far better and funnier show than any of those flash-animated cartoons about depressed animals that people pretend are good these days.

Flash is dead man. RIP. They're gonna stop it working at all on your computer on December 31st of this year. Websites like Newgrounds.com have rolled out their own plug-ins. If Bojack was Flash-animated, that's interesting, fair play to 'em. I assumed it was Koreans.

Old Nehamkin

I'l be honest, I don't actually know what flash is. I just use it as a handy catch-all word for cartoons I don't like.

It does the hard work, so you don't have to.

JamesTC

Disenchantment or whatever it is called is the show that should be criticised. That is like all the bad episodes of Futurama except not even as good as that.

As somebody mentioned the Futurama commentaries, I realised I've not listened to the commentaries on Season 5-8 so I stuck on the first disc of Season 5. They still do a good commentary. I wonder if the downturn in quality is due to the significant budget cut in the writing room that David X Cohen occasionally mentions.

evilcommiedictator

Quote from: sutin on October 30, 2020, 06:00:48 PM
Background TV at best.

From the desk of Dr. John Zoidberg M.D

Sonny_Jim

Morbo the alien TV presenter gets some good laughs out of me as well, mostly due to the delivery.

WINDMILLS DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

kidsick5000

Universal truth: Jurassic Bark will fuck. you. up.

madhair60

Luck of the Fryrish fucked me up more. The dog episode is stupid. Though I think it might have "I will now dance the dance of my people!" followed by Fry energetically doing The Hustle. That always makes me cheerful.

Thursday

Jurassic Bark just felt cheap and manipulative to me. Sorry everyone.

Gulftastic

During the first four seasons, there were many great gags. I laughed a lot. With gusto.

Lemming

As was said earlier in the thread, the show really needs you to find Fry and Zoidberg (and I'd add Bender) funny to work. If any of those three piss you off then it's pretty much game over for the show.

Loved Futurama growing up but a rewatch wasn't kind to it at all. That said, the episode where Fry drinks 300 cups of coffee is funny as fuck. I don't even remember the main plot, but it was worth it just for the coffee stuff alone. There's a couple of other really great episodes that spring to mind - intestinal parasites turning Fry super-intelligent, and the one where Fry gets his head surgically attached to Amy, the concept alone of which always made me properly lose my shit laughing for some reason - but the bulk of it was pretty grating.

All the big "emotional" moments didn't really land for me either. I remember when I first saw Jurassic Bark I thought it was a parody of a movie or something that I just wasn't getting, but the end with the dog slowly dying was so ridiculously maudlin that I chuckled anyway under the assumption that they were really thoroughly taking the piss out of something. Nope, it's for real. Wow.

The Mollusk

Farnsworth is funny as well. Plus a lot of the incidental characters are funny, like (plucking straight out of thin air here) the mob robots, the whale biologist and the horribly conservative snobby judge. In addition to this, it's a good sitcom because it has funny writing. It is a funny TV show.

Gulftastic

Hedonismbot is my favourite guest character.