Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:33:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

never watched a martial arts film ever

Started by madhair60, October 31, 2020, 12:40:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 09, 2021, 06:46:01 PM
Shaw Brothers fans take note - Arrow have today announced volume 1 of a SB box set, containing 12 films, priced at £125 or £110 as an early bird special.

Feel the same here. Looks like a good set but I can't be doing with some gargantuan box. I sold on the Godzilla Criterion behemoth because I just couldn't fit it on the shelf. Got the original film on Criterion US which will do me for the Showa stuff, to be honest.

I'm going to hope and wait for 36 Chambers, one I've still not seen (although it's on Prime for the moment) and pick out the best of the individual releases, hopefully.

Chedney Honks

If you want the early bird price (£110) for the Shawscope Vol. 1 set, here's the link:

https://arrowfilms.com/product-detail/shawscope-volume-one-limited-edition-blu-ray/FCD2076

You can also get a further £11 off if you use the code welcomejuly21. That brings it to roughly two-thirds of RRP, which I think is very good. If I don't like it very much, I'll flog it. I'm sure I'll get a hundred back.

kalowski

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on July 09, 2021, 06:46:01 PM
I've always thought SITES as very overrated.

Shaw Brothers fans take note - Arrow have today announced volume 1 of a SB box set, containing 12 films, priced at £125 or £110 as an early bird special.  They've secured licenses for either 24 or 26 SB films depending on who you ask, so volume 2 will complete the release when it's announced presumably next month. 

As it is, I can't justify £110 on the two or three films I actually want, so I'm hoping for individual releases further down the line.
I can't afford it either, but fuck me I want it!!

Chedney Honks

If you pay by card on the Arrow site, they don't take payment til it ships in the December, if you're interested in saving for it.

Thursday

I've been on a bit of a Jackie Chan journey in recent times, going through some of The Police Story series (Seen the first 3, don't know if the rest are really worth bothering with). Project A, Drunken Master. Would like to see some other standouts - mainly in the daft/insane action category.

Also Bruce Lee I've seen Enter and Way of the Dragon, what else is best?

Spiteface

Quote from: Thursday on July 10, 2021, 10:11:19 AM
I've been on a bit of a Jackie Chan journey in recent times, going through some of The Police Story series (Seen the first 3, don't know if the rest are really worth bothering with). Project A, Drunken Master. Would like to see some other standouts - mainly in the daft/insane action category.

Also Bruce Lee I've seen Enter and Way of the Dragon, what else is best?

Fist of Fury is my personal favourite.

Don't bother with Game of Death - Lee's only actually in it for 10 minutes. I think the 40-ish minutes he shot for the original idea for Game of Death is an extra on the bluray though.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Thursday on July 10, 2021, 10:11:19 AM
I've been on a bit of a Jackie Chan journey in recent times

I'd recommend Wheels on Meals next, similar era, similar cast, a bit more comedy but some absolutely brilliant action and the final fight with Benny the Jet is one of the best ever.

Young Master is probably my next favourite, bit more traditional kung fu setting but absolutely superb fights and plenty of great action and some comedy.

If you can find Drunken Master 2, that's also phenomenal.

For Bruce Lee, he only made five films, essentially, and Big Boss and Fist of Fury are both worth a go. Way is probably my favourite but he's engaging in all of them. Game of Death I haven't yet seen.

If you fancy something a little different, I would definitely try Mr Vampire. It's a fantastic kung fu horror comedy, like nothing else (besides all of the sequels and Encounter of the Spooky Kind and a load of other spin-offs and rip-offs).

zomgmouse

Quote from: Chedney Honks on July 09, 2021, 05:39:20 PM
I've struggled to get through this one, strangely for me. Might just not be in the mood but I keep trying and bouncing off it. I do love the old fella from DM and his early fight with the bowl and chopsticks is great but I can't remember anything else about the first half hour. Gonna have another go at it!

Honestly I really liked it! Some wonderful fights and you get to see Jackie Chan pretend to be a cat.

madhair60

didn't bother watching any of these in the end. cheers

Thursday

Famous Mortimer

One for your "to watch" pile, martial arts movie enthusiasts:

Angel Of Fury (aka Triple Cross)

Absolutely bonkers, and never lets up. It's about a MacGuffin, its courier (Rothrock) and the various people around her who who either are pretending to help or trying to murder her. From the instant she gets off the boat at the beginning, she's attacked, and it never goes more than a few minutes without a gunfight, a car chase or a wild fight.

Rothrock takes an absolute hammering in the final fight, to the point she really ought to have been dead, but just happily walks away at the end. Oh, and she's way too cheerful considering just a few hours previously, her boyfriend betrayed her and she had to beat him unconscious while in a helicopter. Several times, even though she knows she's going to be attacked at every turn, she invites a family she met on the boat to hang out, at amusement parks or the mall, as if she secretly hates them and wants to put their lives in danger (it works, in the end, as the kid dies).

It's one of those movies, not made in Hong Kong or the US, where the stunts look so violent and the impacts so hard, that you wouldn't be surprised if a few people died.

75 minutes of almost non-stop prime Rothrock action. Absolutely worth watching.

Crenners

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on December 26, 2021, 02:34:56 AMIt's one of those movies, not made in Hong Kong or the US, where the stunts look so violent and the impacts so hard, that you wouldn't be surprised if a few people died.

This caught me off guard, big laugh.

I've not seen very much CR at all but I think 88 Films have some relevant releases coming up in 2022, Righting Wrongs almost certain and a few others mooted.

Thursday

Since this thread was bumped, I'll just say Mr Vampire was a great laugh. Well worth checking out if you like all the Golden Harvest and 80's Jackie Chan stuff.

Magnum Valentino

Eureka has a martial arts sale on, so all those great Jackie Chan Blu-rays are about a tenner each.

Quote from: lazarou on November 01, 2020, 11:00:31 PMUndefeatable is a personal fave of mine. Utterly insane early-'90s martial arts cheese, it certainly isn't the most technically amazing fighting film you'll ever see but it's hugely entertaining. One of those where I might have audibly cheered when I saw it come up on Best Of The Worst knowing what they were in for.

Loved that Adkins clip, and any martial arts or b-action fans are strongly recommended to check out Adkins' own YouTube channel where he's been spending his lockdown time interviewing every notable action star he can get his hands on, from Tony Jaa to Dolph Lundgren through to Rothrock herself, with plenty of deeper cuts for the Benny Urquidez or Gary Daniels fans out there. He's a likeable sort and clearly knows his onions, being a fan of the genre his whole life (the Rothrock interview has some pretty incredible and strangely heartwarming evidence on that front).

Watched a bunch of these last night. The Lundgreen one is great. Even the Seagal one is really insightful - just let's the guy talk.

Replies From View

I'm going to blast you out of your cock by listing some films that you have definitely seen (and loved) that are actually martial arts films:

- Super Mario Brothers The Movie
- Duck Tails The Movie
- The Rescuers Down Under
- David Jason's Grasp of the Trans-Siberian Railway
- tickatape parade 7
- Ninja Willpicker and the Electric Twelve
- Gung Ho Simon
- Puffer Jacket in Windsor
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

zomgmouse

Quote from: Replies From View on May 04, 2022, 07:46:43 PMI'm going to blast you out of your cock by listing some films that you have definitely seen (and loved) that are actually martial arts films:
- Puffer Jacket in Windsor

i HATED this

madhair60

Angst in my Pants

Just popped in to this thread to say I keep reading the title to the tune of Kim Wilde's "Never Trust a Stranger with your Heart".