Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:16:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Films To Be Buried With - with Brett Goldstein

Started by Shaky, October 31, 2020, 09:11:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaky

Any other fans of this podcast? It's been going for a few years but I've only just discovered it, and thank Christ I have because it's very amusing, packed full of interesting film analysis and it's generally helping me regain some sanity.

Host Brett Goldstein (hadn't heard of him before) can be a bit annoying during his intro bits but when he's got an interesting, funny guest on (which he usually does inc the likes of Kevin Smith, Joe Cornish, Fergus Craig and Richard Herring) he rises to the occasion. The intentionally flimsy premise, which Goldstein doesn't even mention until each show is well underway, is that the guest has died and gone to a very cinema-centric heaven. Basically an excuse to ask questions like, "What's the scariest film you've ever seen?" "Which film do you most relate to?" "What's the funniest..." etc etc. Most guests have knowledgeable, passionate things to say about their chosen films but as often as not their answers are merely a jumping off point for other stories.

Pink Gregory

Listened for a few years now, Patreon and everything.  Some guests are definitely better than others but it's nice that it's not just 'my mates' and generally someone you've never heard of will have interesting things to say.

I think Brett's UNBELIEVABLY wet but I do like him.

Pink Gregory

Also the only interview with Ricky Gervais that hasn't made me want to die.

Shaky

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 31, 2020, 10:45:09 AM
Also the only interview with Ricky Gervais that hasn't made me want to die.

I've been avoiding that one but might have to give it a go!

phantom_power

I enjoy the podcast in the main but sometimes the guests can be annoying with their terrible opinions or bad knowledge. I also got annoyed with the way he told them they had died in the same way every time. "Shit, I forgot to mention something and now I feel really bad. Shit. Sorry. Well, er, you...you...you've died. You died"

Pink Gregory

I quite enjoy the "You...died?  You've died."

magval

That was the exact thing that put me off this podcast, and that has put me off other podcasts with such rigidly enforced formats. The script. Rule of Three I've managed to stick with because it's a genuinely good show but that fucking 'both approaches are valid' intro does my nut in.

I'm with Pink Gregory on the host. I might go as far to say he's a dose.

Shit Good Nose

Yeah, I have a listen if there's an interesting guest on there, but Goldstein himself is not an easy listen, despite being (aptly described above as) wet, and he has SO many mediocre British standup comedians on there it becomes an extension of their own act.

I keep an eye on it, but don't listen to it regularly.

phantom_power

I see he has pulled some Ted Lasso strings and got Coach on the latest one. Hopefully he can pull them a bit harder and maybe get Sudeikis and Juno Temple on

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 31, 2020, 06:59:25 PM
Yeah, I have a listen if there's an interesting guest on there, but Goldstein himself is not an easy listen, despite being (aptly described above as) wet, and he has SO many mediocre British standup comedians on there it becomes an extension of their own act.

I keep an eye on it, but don't listen to it regularly.

Really worth going back to the older ones; Cariad Lloyd, Dane Baptiste, Nathaniel Metcalfe, both of James Acaster's ones, John Robins and Jamie Demetriou to name the ones I remember enjoying, just because they're quite interesting in what they discuss, and clearly have enthusiasm for the subject matter, rather than 'yeah I've seen some films'.

Jungleted

Thanks for the heads up. I rate Brett after his performance in Derek and Ted Lasso. I'll be giving these a listen.

SteveDave

Quote from: Pink Gregory on October 31, 2020, 10:43:53 AM
I think Brett's UNBELIEVABLY wet but I do like him.

"Thass a great film" After every answer.

Pink Gregory

Patton Oswalt on this week if anyone's innarested

jofo

Maybe it's just me but everything about this podcast is really trite.

Wet Brett's sometimes hard to stick and the Idea for the podcast is not as charming as Brett would like to think. Like, "get a lot of this outragous situtaion",  Most of the guest are not even aware of the conceit. I know its really just an excusse to get the ball rolling but fuck me it's tetious.

"Oh no ... I forgot to tell you... you died.. blah fuckin blah...  NAME A GUD MOVIE YOU LIKE YOU FUCKING FAMOUS CUNT, AND IT CAN'T BE THE GODFATHER"

I do like this podcast , I have been given a heads up about alot of good films listening to this.
I enjoy the end of the year re-reviews with Nish as they can be a bit more honest which films were shit and which ones they really loved.

Drop the "which is the first film you rememeber seeing in the cinema" question also, pointless. I dont give a fuck if you seen the Jungle book when you where five and your mum took you.

Gonna listen to the Patton episode now as he seems like he might have some curve balls rather than the standard reply to the questions.