Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:43:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'M TV'S STANLEY BAXTER

Started by Jake Thingray, October 31, 2020, 03:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake Thingray

And I'm gay, though that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Shit Good Nose

The most surprising thing to me is he's still alive.

Jake Thingray

After I mentioned, earlier today, how the news about Sean Connery reminded me how my Dad, who was raised in Leith, used to get annoyed by some (possibly English) people claiming all the real, tough Scotsmen were from Glasgow and that Edinburgh's natives were effete, urbanised weeds, and would point out Connery was from Edinburgh and Baxter was from Glasgow, afraid that one of my somewhat more mature FB friends assumed this meant Baxter died today as well.

Jockice

Possibly the least shocking 'news' I've ever heard.

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: Jockice on October 31, 2020, 04:51:32 PM
Possibly the least shocking 'news' I've ever heard.

Has he publicly admitted to it before?

Jockice

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on October 31, 2020, 05:05:12 PM

Not as far as I know. But even as a kid (and literally everyone in Scotland watched his shows then) my gaydar was bleeping wildly. I just always thought he was. Great entertainer though and obviously tortured by it. Poor sod.

pigamus

Jake Thingray

Quote from: The Cloud of Unknowing on October 31, 2020, 05:05:12 PM

Never and as the Scotsman article briefly mentions, he intervened over an auction of his army chum Kenneth Williams' letters that included descriptions of "having it away" with men. While Ken may have ultimately attained greater longevity in the public eye than Baxter, if only through the Carry On's and recountings of his unhappy life, in his lifetime he never attained the cachet Baxter's elaborate, BAFTA-winning, showbiz-literate television work did at the time.

petril

Quote from: Jake Thingray on October 31, 2020, 03:54:47 PM
After I mentioned, earlier today, how the news about Sean Connery reminded me how my Dad, who was raised in Leith, used to get annoyed by some (possibly English) people claiming all the real, tough Scotsmen were from Glasgow and that Edinburgh's natives were effete, urbanised weeds, and would point out Connery was from Edinburgh and Baxter was from Glasgow, afraid that one of my somewhat more mature FB friends assumed this meant Baxter died today as well.

hard man? fae Edinburgh? ye cannae get a hard man fae Edinburgh

Ambient Sheep

This is odd, as I thought he'd come out a few years ago.  Apparently not.  Must have confused him for someone else, or maybe I just read an article that hinted at it...

Kenneth Williams' diaries mention Baxter several times.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on November 02, 2020, 04:10:53 PM
Kenneth Williams' diaries mention Baxter several times.

AFAIR though it's just passing mentions of him as a colleague and friend though, with no details on his sexual preferences making it to print.

Glebe

Aw poor man, very sad about his wife. I was watching An Audience with Kenneth Williams on YouTube awhile back, he talks about being in the army with Baxter in that.

derek stitt

The chapter heading alone are worth the price of the book.

De Bollocking, David Niven Blow job, Benny from Crossroads and Buggery, Bestialty and Necrophilia are  corkers all.