Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:25:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

A L ((I)) E N S

Started by soaking wet, mate, November 01, 2020, 03:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

As a whole yeah it clearly did but Mac McDonald is playing essentially the same role in both yet would they even had seen him playing it when casting Red Dwarf?

buzby

Quote from: greenman on November 04, 2020, 01:03:39 PM
As a whole yeah it clearly did but Mac McDonald is playing essentially the same role in both yet would they even had seen him playing it when casting Red Dwarf?
It's possible he might have been given a video copy of his scenes to include in his showreel, or when he was applying for an audition he night have mentioned he had previously been cast in Aliens but his scenes had been cut. He said in an old interview that they didn't have him in mind when they wrote the part, Hollister was just a generic semi-slobby American guy.

He had the same thing happen to him in Memphis Belle too - He had a pretty sizeable part that all but got cut out when the studio demanded the film be made shorter.

Replies From View

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 03, 2020, 10:34:30 PM
I reckon loads of famous computer game stuff would never have come to pass in the way that it has without the influence of Aliens. Mainly the guns, aliens and environments admittedly, but that's a hell of a lot of influence for one film.

we might never have had dangerous dave in the haunted mansion

Replies From View

Quote from: buzby on November 04, 2020, 07:12:02 PM
It's possible he might have been given a video copy of his scenes to include in his showreel, or when he was applying for an audition he night have mentioned he had previously been cast in Aliens but his scenes had been cut. He said in an old interview that they didn't have him in mind when they wrote the part, Hollister was just a generic semi-slobby American guy.

He had the same thing happen to him in Memphis Belle too - He had a pretty sizeable part that all but got cut out when the studio demanded the film be made shorter.

I think Mac McDonald was just part of the comedy circuit at the time, along with Norman Lovett.  The production team were seeking a funny American man who was established in the UK, and I suspect that pool wasn't especially large unlike McDonald's belly hahahaahahaaa!!!!

so yeah

greenman

That Aliens was filmed at Pinewood I spose means they were probably pulling talent from the same kind of pool as Red Dwarf for supporting roles like that. Looking at his wiki he was actually a Rebel pilot in Empire Strikes Back on hoth.

One thing that stands out with a lot of these late 80's actioners(Predator, Running Man, Robocop, Total Recall etc) is just how anti establishment they actually are, perhaps moreso than the original because were dealing with more of a larger than life reality that's generally become so much tamer since then. I would argue that the "Reagan actioner" was never really as dominant as claimed(Rambo 2? Top Gun? Rocky 4? don't think even Commando really counts as the badguys are corrupt CIA types) and that actually the "Clinton actioner" which was more dominant. Films like Inderpendance Day which sucked off the US establishment became a lot more common and more overt anti capitalist messages became rarer.

Replies From View

They don't like it when you say "artiste", you know.  Raises their fuckin heckles properly off the ground.  "You are an artiste sir."  An they fuckin...  after a while they can't hack it anymore and they are wont to leave their job.

"I know it's their language and everything, but.... [BRISTLES KNOWINGLY TO CAMERA]"

idunnosomename

I remember noticing Mac McDonald in the Fifth Element but actually he's in loads of stuff. It's just his Aliens role is so close to Captain Hollister it's uncanny

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: greenman on November 05, 2020, 04:57:53 AM
One thing that stands out with a lot of these late 80's actioners(Predator, Running Man, Robocop, Total Recall etc) is just how anti establishment they actually are, perhaps moreso than the original because were dealing with more of a larger than life reality that's generally become so much tamer since then. I would argue that the "Reagan actioner" was never really as dominant as claimed(Rambo 2? Top Gun? Rocky 4? don't think even Commando really counts as the badguys are corrupt CIA types) and that actually the "Clinton actioner" which was more dominant. Films like Inderpendance Day which sucked off the US establishment became a lot more common and more overt anti capitalist messages became rarer.
They tend to hedge their bets though. As you said, the bad guys are usually corrupt individuals, rather than their whole organisation being rotten to the core. In Alien, "The Company" is this sinister, faceless entity that places no value on human life. Its sole representative isn't even human. In Aliens it's all on Burke - the other suits clearly don't believe Ripley's story and the colony has existed without alien contact for decades.

Probably the most damning of the films you listed is Total Recall, with Cohaagen's speech about no one on Earth caring what he does as long as the mines keep working. Even OCP gets off fairly lightly in the first Robocop, compared to the sequels.