Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Empire of Sin

Started by Schmo Diddley, November 01, 2020, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schmo Diddley

Anyone looking forward to this? X-com meets prohibition Chicago. Can't wait, looks really good.

bgmnts

Didn't the people at XComm already make that game? Declassified or something.

Pink Gregory

You mean XCOM Declassified the Bureau?

I think that was more sci-fi 50s

Ignatius_S

The setting and turn-based combat is pure gravy for me and I was delighted when the game was announced - however, I'm tempering my expectations until it comes out.

As it's a passion project for Brenda Romero, I certainly hope she pulls it off and it made me more interested, but am mindful of Omertà, which had some good concepts but the elements of strategy and the squad combat were poorly executed. From what I've seen in the videos, like the tutorial, not sure about the idea of wandering about the world real-time - also, not really keen on the the avatar element.

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 01, 2020, 07:41:18 PM
You mean XCOM Declassified the Bureau?

I think that was more sci-fi 50s

60s - and a third-person shooter..

Also, it was a hugely troubled production and the game's concept to chopped and changed - e.g. at one point, it was being made s a first-person stealth game - whereas, EoS should be very much the vision of Romero.

Mobius

I was keen for this but having watched the developers play it on Youtube, I dunno it seems a bit bare bones. Usually the case for these sorts of games but not too excited about waiting for the inevitable 10 DLCs.

But I like the idea and setting, hope it's good.

Played a load of XCOM2: War Of The Chosen over the weekend and had a great time.

Schmo Diddley

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/11/06/empire-of-sin-hands-on-preview-a-seamless-blend-of-four-different-gangster-games/#comments

Preview there after the writer played on it for five hours. Sounds like there's a lot going on and if they've got the balance right it could be a hell of a game.

Ham Bap

Sounds right up my street this especially the management part.
First read about it about a year ago and was hoping it would turn out well.

bgmnts

Seems a bit mixed, that. Unsure if I'm confused or if that's a crap review.

At the very least it sounds like a lot of work. I know a lot of people live for that micro management and loads of information though, so fair enough. Seems like a decent purchase anyway.

Although Spiffing Brit has already managed to exploit the shite out of it.

Bazooka

Micromanagment would be fine, but sadly most modern games are tarred by -50 size font especially in games that require it the most.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bgmnts on December 01, 2020, 03:06:13 PM
Seems a bit mixed, that. Unsure if I'm confused or if that's a crap review.

At the very least it sounds like a lot of work. I know a lot of people live for that micro management and loads of information though, so fair enough. Seems like a decent purchase anyway.

Although Spiffing Brit has already managed to exploit the shite out of it.

Looking at the various reviews, all agree it's very buggy at the moment (but patches are imminent this month and also in January).

There seems to be mixed opinion about how the different elements come together - one of my main fears was that there are lots of good ideas but the execution means that how they work in practice is only so-so. Some reviewers have basically said it that, but others are more enthusiastic.

Romero said that players can focus on the elements that they want and ignore others and will be interested in seeing how much that's the case. PCGamer said that you can finish the game pretty damn quickly by just doing battles.

Will have to check out that video later!

Schmo Diddley

Sounds buggy as hell. Also a few issues that might not be as quick to resolve reading some of the reviews - poor AI in the battles, awkward transitions between the different modes, bit too much micromanagement.

Hopefully a few patches will sort it out but it's a bit of a damp squib. I wanted to get it on switch but there have been no reviews for it - just seen a couple of comments saying that it's almost unplayable. Will probably get it for the PS4 instead when it's been ironed out a bit.

Ham Bap

May get this at some point but ended up getting a few other games in the sales last week.
If even the review embargo hadve been a week ago instead of the day of release I may have got this.

But I now have too many other good games to play.