Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:28:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Depp Comes home drunk, he beats his wife, hes a Yankee.....

Started by Tony Tony Tony, November 02, 2020, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Tony Tony

Butchers Blind

magval

Does this mean the Sun can now call him a wife beater whenever they want like the guy in KMKY who lost a libel case and was allowed to be referred to in print as a cunt?

I could fax it to him, then?

The Mollusk

"Pirates of Caribbean actor had sued newspaper publisher for damage to his reputation"

oh no, not his reputation, how will he ever recover

jobotic

Seeing as he is a wife beater I'm glad his wife has been vindicated.

I really wish Wooton and The S*n had accused him of something he hadn't done though, that would have cost them a lot of money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: jobotic on November 02, 2020, 10:37:40 AM
Seeing as he is a wife beater I'm glad his wife has been vindicated.

I really wish Wooton and The S*n had accused him of something he hadn't done though, that would have cost them a lot of money.

Like what was once said by a football manager when asked about his rivals results "this is one where I wish they could both lose".

dissolute ocelot

Judge:
QuoteI have found that the great majority of alleged assaults of Ms Heard by Mr Depp have been proved to the civil standard.
But what will JK Rowling say????? On the wrong side of history again, Joanne.

idunnosomename

never understood why the TERFs like are graham seemed to stand up for Depp on this one. can someone explain. cheers

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on November 02, 2020, 10:19:04 AM
Wasn't she abusing him?

I got the impression their relationship was mutually abusive. Anyway, Reddit will be gutted about this.

Butchers Blind

Always found Depp to be a bit of a nuisance, swanning around like a poundshop Keith Richards.

JaDanketies

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 02, 2020, 12:00:22 PM
never understood why the TERFs like are graham seemed to stand up for Depp on this one. can someone explain. cheers

perhaps the Rowling angle.

I gotta say I don't know the ins and outs of this trial, but I was in a relationship with a female abuser from the ages of 21 to 26 and I was kinda hoping that Jonny Depp would be found to be a high-profile victim who would help to publicise this issue and bring it out into the open and maybe reduce the shame and stigma. In that regards, this seems like a big step back.

I would imagine Depp thought he was in the right and had been falsely-maligned, otherwise he wouldn't have pursued the libel case. If he was an abuser or they were both as bad as each other then he's to blame for the big step back.

The Cloud of Unknowing

You can't even call a woman a flappy fish market these days, it's ridiculous.

Urinal Cake

They both seem like shots but Depp should know better since he's older. But then he's probably been indulgedore. So I don't know. But Depp seemed to have a shit ton of defenders.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 02, 2020, 12:49:18 PM

I gotta say I don't know the ins and outs of this trial, but I was in a relationship with a female abuser from the ages of 21 to 26 and I was kinda hoping that Jonny Depp would be found to be a high-profile victim who would help to publicise this issue and bring it out into the open and maybe reduce the shame and stigma. In that regards, this seems like a big step back.

I would imagine Depp thought he was in the right and had been falsely-maligned, otherwise he wouldn't have pursued the libel case. If he was an abuser or they were both as bad as each other then he's to blame for the big step back.

I believe Roger Moore writes in his autobiog about how his first wife - then much more famous than him - was an abusive drunk who would assault him frequently, which is why he looks so awkward pushing women around in the Bond films since he knows what it was like from their side.

Blumf

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on November 02, 2020, 01:29:41 PM
I believe Roger Moore writes in his autobiog about how his first wife - then much more famous than him - was an abusive drunk who would assault him frequently, which is why he looks so awkward pushing women around in the Bond films since he knows what it was like from their side.

First two wives, apparently:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/9537467/Sir-Roger-Moore-James-Bond-actor-beaten-up-by-first-two-wives.html
QuoteIn a candid television interview, the 84 year-old claimed his first wife, Doorn Van Steyn, whom he married in 1946 aged 19, repeatedly punched and scratched him and also threw a teapot at him.

The ice skater, real name was Lucy Woodard who died in 2010, also left him with scars and also punched his doctor as he treated him for a slashed hand, he said.

The 007 legend also claimed that his second wife, Dorothy Squires - whom he married shortly after divorcing Van Steyn in 1953 – was also violent and attacked him after learning he had been unfaithful.

He told Piers Morgan's ITV1 show Life Stories that during his marriage to Squires, whom he divorced in 1968, he also claimed she hit him over the head with a guitar.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

A friend of mine is a huge Depp fan (she even has a Jack Sparrow poster overlooking her marital bed) and would not believe a word of the accusations. I wouldn't take any pleasure in bursting her little bubble, but it was rather messed up how she tied herself in knots to defend him.

That's awful. I truly feel bad for you and I realise the gender politics aren't exactly the same, but are you able to view it as a step forward for abuse victims in general? It seems like that might offer you greater peace of mind.

JaDanketies

Kinda is bad for everyone. Jonny Depp and Amber Heard both had their names dragged through the mud, whatever vindication Amber Heard experienced has to be negated by her now being famous for allegedly abusing Jonny Depp (I'd never heard of her before), and The Sun newspaper won a lawsuit.

Maybe Amber Heard can boost her profile on the back of this, I know she'd started to advocate for DV victims and maybe this will help her to be a little louder. And I suppose it got DV in the newspapers, got people talking about it, and at least highlighted the potential existence of women abusers and male victims.

I guess I kinda thought that if Jonny Depp was vindicated then it would feel like I was vindicated. Not that I really feel like anyone on Earth is blaming me for being the victim of DV, other than myself. I guess victims always think that they're to blame.

You could also say it's a victory for 'the little guy', if you view it as Amber Heard vs Jonny Depp, rather than The Sun Newspaper vs Jonny Depp.

It doesn't always have to be a battle of the genders anyway. I can just hope that it's like The Sun and the judge called it - Depp was a violent shithead and Heard didn't start it. If Jonny Depp was a violent drunk towards Amber Heard and he dragged her name through the mud with this false claim of libel, then he is the lowest of the low and I might struggle to enjoy Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as much.

dissolute ocelot

Definitely the Rowling angle. Glinner only seemed to become interested in the Depp case around May this year, while Rowling has been attacked over it a lot longer.

The Depp trial was a shit-show: Fathers4Justice proved they're just misogynistic tossers when they turned up with a sign saying "Ditch The Witch", and the whole thing was an attempt to assassinate Heard's character rather than deal with the actual allegations (because long irrelevant bullshit is how lawyers get their money). The case shouldn't have been whether Heard was a terrible human being, it was about whether Depp was, and if he wasn't bothered he shouldn't have sued. It's not as if he needs the money, or the reputation.

Jumblegraws

The framing of this case in social media (and possibly actual media, I haven't bothered to read any op-eds, and probably won't)  as Depp vs Heard is pretty lamentable. Maybe I'm short-sighted and there's issues about admissibility of evidence that I'm missing, but the case was about the Scum's liability in causing harm to Depp, not the justifiability of Depp's actions more generally. 
ETA: the general rebuttal to this response is that because Depp suffered abuse at Heard's hands, he can't be called a wife beater, but this strikes me as a pretty ad hoc definition of "wife-beater".

Urinal Cake

So Depp is dropped from 'Fantastic Beasts' with his supporters going 'But Heard is still in Aquaman 2 it's the same!'

touchingcloth

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 06, 2020, 06:57:29 PM
So Depp is dropped from 'Fantastic Beasts'

:( thought 2020 couldn't get any worse, this is the last news I needed after the past few days :(

idunnosomename

Charismatic leading men who don't have violent domestic outbursts and where to find them

jobotic

Just got to ditch the transphobic writer and we got a movie!