Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:34:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Early Bee Gees

Started by Custard, November 02, 2020, 12:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

I read a massive biography on the band a couple of years back, and Barry actually comes across really well. It's Robin that seemed to be continuously difficult and annoyed with the other brothers. I think he saw the band as an albatross around his neck, whereas Barry absolutely loved being in the Bee Gees. It was Robin who kept trying to leave and get a solo career going, but when it'd fall flat he'd keep returning begrudgingly to the band

Maurice was more into drinking, though he did clean himself up towards the end.

Famously, Barry and Robin weren't even on speaking terms for the years before Robin's death, which Barry says he massively regrets. On the personal side of things, it's all just a bit sad really

lipsink

I always find it so sweet watching Maurice's exchanges with Anderson at the end. "I suppose I better go too" and "I'll see you later, Clive". He just seems like a lovely bloke and it's really sad that he died first of the 3. Perhaps he was used to this behaviour of Barry?

kalowski

Funny little line on Robin's wikipedia page
Quote...he died in London from liver and kidney failure during a thunderstorm on 20 May 2012

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: lipsink on November 03, 2020, 08:45:41 PM
I always find it so sweet watching Maurice's exchanges with Anderson at the end. "I suppose I better go too" and "I'll see you later, Clive". He just seems like a lovely bloke and it's really sad that he died first of the 3. Perhaps he was used to this behaviour of Barry?

He always came across as a top bloke*, and I really feel for him during that bit too. He's so affable, he didn't appear to give a flaming les tosseur about Anderson's jibes, but he had to apologetically go along with the flounce. Brotherly solidarity. It adds a note of pathos to an otherwise awkward encounter.

* Apart from that time when he pulled a gun on his wife and family while in the hellish depths of a month-long drink and drugs binge. But, let's be charitable here, those weren't the actions of a sane, healthy man.

Quote from: grainger on November 03, 2020, 04:24:39 PM
That was the point of his show. He took the piss out of all his guests, be they musicians, actors or whoever.

I know, but as Menu said, Anderson had toned that shtick down by the time of his BBC show. Clive Anderson Talks Back on Channel 4 was basically a late-night alternative comedy vehicle, a fairly subversive chat show in which celebrities would be insulted by a witty man who didn't appear to give a shit. Clive Anderson All Talk, while still funny, was far more conventional.

But the Bee Gees presumably didn't know that, which would explain why they may have asked Anderson or his producers to go easy on them. I dunno. In any case, I can't recall another example of Anderson being like that on his BBC show.

I do, however, agree that Barry and Robin could only take a joke on their own terms. They should've laughed it off, but they were clearly far too sensitive and defensive. Understandable, though, for reasons already outlined in this thread. As grainger said, the whole 'disco sucks' backlash was fucking vile.

Butchers Blind

New documentary on them from HBO.  Trailer contains talking head from Justin Timberlake.

https://youtu.be/oDDN-D1LH2o

Also there's this history on YT. https://youtu.be/lpdJuQDO86M

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 04, 2020, 11:53:32 AM
New documentary on them from HBO.  Trailer contains talking head from Justin Timberlake.

https://youtu.be/oDDN-D1LH2o

The interviewees in the trailer are Justin Timberlake, Noel Gallagher, and Nick Jonas (according to a Youtube comment, wouldn't have a clue otherwise)

Ehhh.

Captain Z

Never been able to take them seriously. Their voice gives me the early-beegees.

grainger

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 03, 2020, 09:58:31 PM
I know, but as Menu said, Anderson had toned that shtick down by the time of his BBC show. Clive Anderson Talks Back on Channel 4 was basically a late-night alternative comedy vehicle, a fairly subversive chat show in which celebrities would be insulted by a witty man who didn't appear to give a shit. Clive Anderson All Talk, while still funny, was far more conventional.

Ah OK, I didn't know that Anderson's show had become more conventional (and missed any mention of it upthread). I didn't watch Anderson's it by that point.

Apologies, grainger, I was half-pissed and election-stressed when I wrote that last night, hence why I accidentally quoted your own words back to you! And my tone was rather pompous. Sorry.

grainger

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 04, 2020, 06:07:42 PM
Apologies, grainger, I was half-pissed and election-stressed when I wrote that last night, hence why I accidentally quoted your own words back to you! And my tone was rather pompous. Sorry.

It didn't seem that way at all; NP.

Jockice

Quote from: lipsink on November 03, 2020, 08:45:41 PM

I did a phone interview with Maurice once and can confirm he genuinely was a lovely bloke. Or came across as one.

kalowski

Maurice's wild years make me think of Robert Downey Jr in The Simpsons.
"Look, they're making a movie! Robert Downey, Jr. is shooting it out with the police."
"I don't see any cameras."

Menu

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 03, 2020, 04:43:46 PM
I read a massive biography on the band a couple of years back, and Barry actually comes across really well. It's Robin that seemed to be continuously difficult and annoyed with the other brothers. I think he saw the band as an albatross around his neck, whereas Barry absolutely loved being in the Bee Gees. It was Robin who kept trying to leave and get a solo career going, but when it'd fall flat he'd keep returning begrudgingly to the band

Maurice was more into drinking, though he did clean himself up towards the end.

Famously, Barry and Robin weren't even on speaking terms for the years before Robin's death, which Barry says he massively regrets. On the personal side of things, it's all just a bit sad really

Do you mind if I ask which biography this was? I'm slightly obsessed with the Bee Gees at the moment and keen to read up.

The books on offer seem to be either Barry's official biography, which I'm guessing is going to be a sanitised version of events, or the David N. Meyer one for which the reviews are extremely mixed.

Is there another (better) one I should hunt down?