Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

More inessential shit from the backwaters of old TV you somehow still remember

Started by non capisco, November 02, 2020, 11:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
QuoteDoes anyone remember Under The Moon? It was a late night midweek sports show on Channel 4, presented by Danny Kelly, Lisa Rodgers(who once showed her Union Flag bra-DISTINCT MEMORY) and Tom Binns. It was really really good. Loads of good irreverent fun (Binns doing what I am certain was a Richard Herring impression all the way through). I used to watch it at uni even when I should have been getting to bed early.

I watched it because I worked a shift that finished at 10 pm and this started around midnight. I seem to remember Binns being replaced by Dominik Diamond. There was no time delay on the calls so Kelly would occasionally be abused by callers. There had been an earlier Channel 4 effort in that timeslot around the time of the 1988 Olympics, 'Running Late', presented by Donald Trelford that was dire.

who cares

The Hit Man and Her studios. Undercover are performing their version of Baker Street to a warehouse-style disco packed with 'partygoers'. The singer gives a wry smile when he gets to the line, "It's got so many people, but it's got no soul" My friend remarks- "He's not unaware of the irony of that lyric."

jobotic

Very occasionally I will make myself laugh by thinking:

"This is The Hitman and The Her"

"I'm the Hitman", "And I'm The Her"

jenna appleseed

I'm still a little disappointed it wasn't a (probably a US import) drama/drama comedy like Moonlighting or Hart To Hart but with crims about an hitman and his wife/partner, I don't know going around carrying hits on people and trying to dodge the cops or something, like I assumed as a kid way back when I'd just seen see the name in the newspaper tv listings, no chance of actually seeing the thing and had no idea of what the show actually was

Young me also thought Spitting Image was somehow about spitting and that was a weird thing to make a tv show of, misread the name of The Piglet Files as The Piglet Flys (a show about flying pigs seemed amazing), and couldn't understand why Beauty And The Beast was on so late and I wasn't allowed to watch it - it'll just be a pre-Disney serialized child friendly adaption of the fairy story, right? (found out some time later that it probably wouldn't have mattered if I had accidentally seen it as ITV apparently censored/skipped a lot of the darker episodes/scenes).

Leej88

Does anyone remember a cartoon from the 90's was on CITV and it involved a fat detective and had parody's of Robocop and Star Wars?

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 13, 2020, 05:10:47 PM
Mallett wasn't always turned up to 11. He used to present Music Box. He was quite good. I remember a good bit where he was ripping the piss out of a Sigue Sigue Sputinik book trying to claim they were the new punk gods of music.

He is quite a well regarded painter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=timmy+mallett+art&rlz=1C1ZKTG_enGB803GB803&sxsrf=ALeKk03Ith89DoQnyADT3eRIXvj2qDt4pA:1605287416037&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiE2sfRgYDtAhUrTxUIHZCXDBUQ_AUoAXoECAgQAw&biw=1280&bih=578

Having a website showing his art and naming it https://www.mallettspallette.co.uk/ is genius.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Special K on June 14, 2021, 07:00:37 PM
Having a website showing his art and naming it https://www.mallettspallette.co.uk/ is genius.
Well it would be if there wasn't only one L in palette.

That only came after the failure of his shipping company, financial advice centre, shop selling small onions, and a ski accommodation bureau.

JesusAndYourBush

ProvanFan

A person looking plaintive in a traffic jam at night on a British motorway. Looking through their wet windscreen at a gantry sign as ambient music like Eno's An Ending (Ascent) is playing.

Is this an obvious one? I'm sure there was an advert for the AA or Bupa something that gave it a nod. Or maybe it was only ever an advert and I've invented a film that supposedly inspired it.

Sort me out, please.

Leej88

The guy climbing the scaffolding to get the balloon looking like a superhero but is really drunk and falls to his death always stuck with me that advert.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 17, 2021, 11:31:16 PMOr maybe it was only ever an advert and I've invented a film that supposedly inspired it.

I think this is right, but I can't remember what it was either, sorry.  AA is definitely a possibility.  Maybe a bank?

EDIT: or if it was also in a film, I never saw it or made the connection.

Leej88

Remember watching one of those shopping channels on Freeview and they were this woman wearing a business uniform with a skirt with short dark hair she was fine.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on June 18, 2021, 02:40:29 PM
I think this is right, but I can't remember what it was either, sorry.  AA is definitely a possibility.  Maybe a bank?

EDIT: or if it was also in a film, I never saw it or made the connection.

Bank or life insurance or something for grown ups, aye.

To clarify, the advert would probably have been later 90s or maybe early even early 00s, and the scene in question part of montage of wistful faces in different 'modern life' scenarios. It's the film that I reckon was early 90s.

In both cases the driver of the car is Jane Horrocks. Weird of her to reprise starring her role in my possibly-false memory for a bit part in an ad, but she does a fine job.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: ProvanFan on June 25, 2021, 01:33:35 AM...and the scene in question part of montage of wistful faces in different 'modern life' scenarios.

Yes, I can even see it in my head now, and the tone of the voiceover, but damnit, not what it was for!

mothman

Yes, but what is any of it for? Are we just howling into the void, trying to make sense of the senseless, find meaning where there is none oh wait, you mean, what was the ad for? Sorry can't help you there I'm afraid.

ProvanFan

rilk

something i saw on youtube, not on tv at the time - 1980s late night gonzo chip shop interviews, seem to remember reading the programme was a time filler?

also something edmonds, probably house party, from the late 90s - a man with a huge 6 foot high elastic band ball failing at some challenge or other and the ball getting burnt at the end of the show. horrible black fumes late on a summer night.

Dr Rock

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: rilk on June 25, 2021, 08:06:19 PM
something i saw on youtube, not on tv at the time - 1980s late night gonzo chip shop interviews, seem to remember reading the programme was a time filler?

Night Shift with Colin Bennett.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOohccmo3Ng

The Wikipedia page for "Night Shift" was definitely written by the person who made the opening titles.

willbo

Does anyone remember a short film with Richard Coyle from "Coupling" going out to buy a condom during a one night stand and then not being able to find the house again?

For some reason I think about "one man and his dog" and that "some hairsprays are like yesterday's corset" advert a lot

That advert warning against drinking and driving, using Mungo Jerry's In the Summertime.

Dr Rock

batwings

An episode of some old - 1970s / early 80s - anthology series in which some people get trapped in a building by a deadly security system. There were devices with a red light on the doors and windows that denoted that the alarms were active. I think the protaganists escape, only to go home and discover that the same security system had been installed there too.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: batwings on June 26, 2021, 08:20:43 AM
An episode of some old - 1970s / early 80s - anthology series in which some people get trapped in a building by a deadly security system. There were devices with a red light on the doors and windows that denoted that the alarms were active. I think the protaganists escape, only to go home and discover that the same security system had been installed there too.

Sounds like " Silent Scream" from the " Hammer House Of Horror" telly series ( broadcast 1980), with Peter Cushing as yer man who sets up them systems. Some very scary episodes in that series including one with Denholm Elliot as an older business man what doesn't 'Alf fancy his secretary ( played by yer woman from the film " Top Secret!") , who gets caught in a series of seemingly never- ending dreams.