Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:01:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slow/'unplugged' covers of every commercially successful song

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, November 03, 2020, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

This still isn't letting up is it? This is a trend that is settling in for a fucking long, long haul.

You know, some of these covers very occasionally bring out the emotional impact of the lyrics, but hell, everything is infected with cynicism by the dregs who commissioned, performed and produced it, the whole idea is almost certainly doomed from the get go.

Utter Shit

The John Lewis-ification of music.

To be fair there are some decent ones, albeit amongst a cavalcade of shit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I assume this is just people who used to be 20 but are now 40 and complain about 'that racket'.

However, it is going on now so long I remember a CaB Radio set from a long gone member stacked with them like it was some cheat code we had found, whereas it is - largely - shit for cunts then just as it is - largely - shit for cunts now.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 03, 2020, 06:54:50 PM
I assume this is just people who used to be 20 but are now 40 and complain about 'that racket'.

I respectfully decline to respond to this on the basis that I now no longer recognise anyone in the charts, think some of the artist names sound completely mental and genuinely don't understand how some of it can be called music.

Genuine current top 40 artists:

24KGOLDN
Megan Thee Stallion
Ritt Momney
Jawsh 685

BlodwynPig

Keir Starmer enters thread with dreamy look on his beige palette

crankshaft

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 03, 2020, 06:55:51 PMRitt Momney

I was convinced this was a joke, but no; had a hit single with Corinne Bailey Rae's "Put Your Records On", only sung through autotune. I would say it sounded like a budget Bon Iver, but Bon Iver has sounded like a budget Bon Iver ever since his second album.

Captain Z

Back in my day bands all had proper names like B*witched, Eiffel65 and .

Captain Z

But yeah, breathy piano versions. I vented in the Ads thread a couple of months ago after three of these things came on back to back, I just can't believe this is still what sells in 2020.

I also assumed that there would be loads of parody ones out there by now. E.g. slow, whispery 'Ebeneezer Goode', 'Killing In The Name Of' and so on. But no, I can't seem to find anything like this either.

crankshaft

Quote from: Captain Z on November 03, 2020, 09:07:03 PM
But yeah, breathy piano versions. I vented in the Ads thread a couple of months ago after three of these things came on back to back, I just can't believe this is still what sells in 2020.

I also assumed that there would be loads of parody ones out there by now. E.g. slow, whispery 'Ebeneezer Goode', 'Killing In The Name Of' and so on. But no, I can't seem to find anything like this either.

We sort of have had that too, "thanks" to Nouvelle Vague.

Rizla

It's that Nouvelle Vague cunt to blame innit. He's the one that started it. Or is it Classics Nouvaux or something. I don't fucking know.

Rizla

Captain Z

It still blows my mind that Lloyds TSB used a 'Mad World' one of these in a TV ad.

Mad World! A slowed-down piano cover of an utterly depressing slowed-down piano cover of a song that features the lyrics "the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had"!

non capisco

Quote from: Captain Z on November 03, 2020, 09:18:37 PM
It still blows my mind that Lloyds TSB used a 'Mad World' one of these in a TV ad.

Mad World! A slowed-down piano cover of an utterly depressing slowed-down piano cover of a song that features the lyrics "the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had"!

That was Gary Jules, popularised on the Donny Darko soundtrack and probably the start of all this. That was the fucking Christmas number one in 2003! Knees up, nan!

Brundle-Fly

Captain Z

Quote from: crankshaft on November 03, 2020, 09:11:23 PM

Ah OK, I have heard of NV only because of the cover of 'Guns Of Brixton' that was used in the Harry & Paul Polish Cafe sketch. I didn't know they were linked to the beginning of this trend.

DrGreggles

I blame Maxence Cyrin and his classical piano arrangements of modern pop songs.

Quite like them though.

Captain Z

Quote from: non capisco on November 03, 2020, 09:20:42 PM
That was Gary Jules, popularised on the Donny Darko soundtrack and probably the start of all this. That was the fucking Christmas number one in 2003! Knees up, nan!

No, no. There was a slower, whispery-er version of the Gary Jules version!

https://youtu.be/Dm4T6bhg1NU

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: crankshaft on November 03, 2020, 09:11:23 PM

Or The Mike Flowers Pops?

Or The Swingle Singers?

Captain Z

the

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 03, 2020, 06:55:51 PM24KGOLDN
Megan Thee Stallion
Ritt Momney
Jawsh 685

"Past the point where I could no longer read Smash Hits without it looking like it was written in another language"

the

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 03, 2020, 09:23:48 PMWas this 1999 Britney/Travis axis one of the first? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQZrbiYJ02U

Fountains Of Wayne recorded a slower version first (in January 1999), which they intended to put out as a B-side. However when their record company started talking about releasing it as a A-side instead they got cold feet and didn't release it at all, but Howard Stern got hold of a copy and played it on the radio and it got bootlegged. They eventually released it on their B-sides collection in 2005.

jamiefairlie

The earliest one that comes to mind is Tori Amos's Smells Like Teen Spirit.

Brundle-Fly

Not unplugged but certainly a 'JohnLewis-fication' precursor number from 1989?

Anarchy In The Uk - Frazier Chorus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbMxr5vvNAg

Ray Travez

Quote from: Captain Z on November 03, 2020, 09:07:03 PM
I also assumed that there would be loads of parody ones out there by now. E.g. slow, whispery 'Ebeneezer Goode',

haha, I'd love to hear that. Almost tempted to have a go at it myself.

I do like Alanis Morrissette's cover of My Humps

non capisco

Pavlov`s Dog`s Dad`s Dead

jobotic

Was that Bizarre Love Triangle cover by Frente! an early example?

Can't really remember it but remember that I hated it.

Icehaven

James Dean Bradfield contributed to this as well when Nicky Wire and Sean Moore would bugger off for 20 minutes halfway through gigs and leave him to do his acoustic set, and he'd usually chuck a cover like Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head or something.