Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hospital parking charges for NHS staff in England

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 04, 2020, 02:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteHealth and social care workers are calling for controversial hospital parking charges to be scrapped after they were reintroduced by many NHS trusts earlier this year.

In March, the Government ordered NHS Trusts to scrap the charges for frontline healthcare workers for the duration of the pandemic but many NHS trusts have since reintroduced the charges.

However, NHS England's NHS People Plan calls for parking to remain free. It states; "NHS organisations should continue to give their people free car parking at their place of work for the duration of the pandemic."

A survey undertaken by NursingNotes reveals that over half (58%) of all NHS trusts reintroduced parking charges for staff between June and August 2020 despite this recommendation from NHS England.

The same survey also reveals that some nurses are paying upwards of £50 per month to work on the frontline...

https://nursingnotes.co.uk/news/workforce/nurses-call-for-hospital-parking-charges-scrapped/

Can't pay hospital car parking charges in claps (some Tory MPs probably think you can). Whilst the hospitals with the most expensive parking are probably in central London, I doubt many medical staff would want to travel on the Tube at the moment.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 04, 2020, 02:50:28 PM
I doubt many medical staff would want to travel on the Tube at the moment.

Anyone with any sense wouldn't want medical staff to travel on the tube at the moment. It's outrageous using the risk of spreading C19 to shake them down.

timebug

I worked as an H.C.A for a while at a local Hospital. Fortunately it was only a ten minute walk for me, so the problem never arose.
But my colleagues would often get steamed up,when patients visitors moaned about the parking charges, and often ended with 'It's alright for you lot, you get free parking!'.
The nursing staff never did get free parking; it cost them a fairly large chunk of their salary to attend their work every day. It was that kind of thinking that sometimes drove the most placid and level headed staff I worked with, to go away and fume quietly with the unjustified injustice of the system.
We all agreed that they SHOULD get free parking,without them the whole NHS system would be unworkable. But there you are,
once the bean counters spot an opening to make money, they take it.

Fambo Number Mive

Matt Hancock asked about free parking for NHS staff by the excellent Zarah Sultana. Says "I'll just answer the first bit" and totally fails to give any answer about free parking for NHS staff:

https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1338558295540424705

Makes a total mockery of the House of Commons. Labour should be pushing really hard on this. Why are NHS staff being charged to avoid public transport during a pandemic? (and I suppose even outside of a pandemic NHS staff would be more likely to pick up germs on the bus/train).

Pinball

The NHS is one of the most exploitative employers in the Western world, and treats its staff like shit. Probably why its staff retention rate is rather poor, and the quality of UK healthcare is the lowest in the Western world (correlating with funding per capita). The example of staff parking is a microcosm of its general enshittedness. And if it treats its staff like that, pity the poor patient.

Free at the point of delivery? Not in the fucking car park.

Zetetic

Hospital car parks are mostly free in three of the four countries of the UK, of course.