Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:03:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 30, 2021, 12:06:35 PM
'91 was the year of songs about sex. I Wanna Sex You Up, Let's Talk About Sex, People Are Still Having Sex. Gett Off,  Things That Make You Go Hmmm,
Spoiler alert
Everything I Do, I Do It For You
[close]
. How liberated we were back then!
Bloody hell, Let's Talk About Sex seems so remarkably well-adjusted and healthy compared to most other treatments of sexuality in pop.

Salt n' Pepa had a pretty good run of hits in 1991.  "Do You Want Me" was also a great little tune with a pretty healthy view of relationships and sex.

Back to sex-mad '91.  "People Are Still Having Sex" was totally LOL, but it had this bit:

People are still having sex.
Lust keeps on lurking.
Nothing makes them stop;
This AIDS thing's not working.

Harsh.  That line was deemed uncomfortable enough that it was clumsily dubbed on UK radio to "This 'safe' thing's not working", but they're still horrible lyrics.  Really weird song; I hope LaTour got over all the uncontrollable, unstoppable sex happening all around him.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 30, 2021, 12:06:35 PM
'91 was the year of songs about sex. I Wanna Sex You Up, Let's Talk About Sex, People Are Still Having Sex. Gett Off,  Things That Make You Go Hmmm,
Spoiler alert
Everything I Do, I Do It For You
[close]
. How liberated we were back then!

'I'll do anything for Love, but I Won't do That'

Technically 1993, but, what the heck.

SullySullivan85

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 29, 2021, 09:45:44 PM
That episode was a shiter, with the exception of A Tribe Called Quest (video), and Tounge 'N' Cheek should be made to apologise to Patrice Rushen.

As versions of Forget-Me-Nots go, it's no Waddington, Lancashire under-14s disco in 1998's, which went "We are the Men on smack, heroin and cannabis." 

non capisco

As part of a non-Sky household 'Do The Bartman' was the only exposure I had to classic era Simpsons for years. When it got a bit further into the 90s and a load of my mates were saying it was brilliant I was hard pressed to believe them.

DrGreggles

Hardly anyone was watching The Simpsons at this point though, which makes it weird that it got to #1.

Egyptian Feast

Even though hardly anyone was watching, everybody had heard of the show by the time the single came out and the merchandise was everywhere (I had a knock off Bart t-shirt from Penney's the previous summer). I didn't see any of it until the first videos came out as the only kid in my area with Sky was a cunt, so 'Do The Bartman' was an event. One kid had a tape of the album, so most of us heard that before we saw an episode of the show.

Chicory

So oblivious was I about The Simpsons in 1991, I thought the spoof advert 'The Symptoms' (some kind of NHS thing) was just a brilliant original idea from animation land.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on May 30, 2021, 07:07:00 PM
As part of a non-Sky household 'Do The Bartman' was the only exposure I had to classic era Simpsons for years. When it got a bit further into the 90s and a load of my mates were saying it was brilliant I was hard pressed to believe them.

Not sure if it's better than my first introduction.

At least it's over quicker.

crankshaft

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 30, 2021, 02:03:01 PM
Salt n' Pepa had a pretty good run of hits in 1991.  "Do You Want Me" was also a great little tune with a pretty healthy view of relationships and sex.

Back to sex-mad '91.  "People Are Still Having Sex" was totally LOL, but it had this bit:

Harsh.  That line was deemed uncomfortable enough that it was clumsily dubbed on UK radio to "This 'safe' thing's not working", but they're still horrible lyrics.  Really weird song; I hope LaTour got over all the uncontrollable, unstoppable sex happening all around him.

I think he also did a version called "People Are Still Having Lunch" to get radio play.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on May 29, 2021, 12:02:09 AM
19 January 1991: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(26) | SOHO – Hippychick

Good

( 5 ) | THE KLF – 3 a.m. Eternal   

Good

(28) | THE HIGH – Box Set Go (video)

KICK

IN

THE 

SUN

(29) | THE STRANGLERS – AL WAYS THE SUN (video)

Could you fit some more syllables in those verses Hugh mate?

( 2 ) | SEAL – Crazy   

Still got his FilofaxTM

Quote from: daf on May 29, 2021, 09:40:07 PM
24 January 1991: Presenter: Simon Mayo

All shit (sorry Rick). Always hated Innuendo, total dog's breakfast.

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 31, 2021, 12:44:17 AM
Not sure if it's better than my first introduction.

At least it's over quicker.

Two whole episodes?! Bargain!

Norton Canes

Even the word 'innuendo' is a sort of innuendo, isn't it. 'In-you-end-oh'. The most Pet Shop Boys album title Pet Shop Boys never used.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: non capisco on May 31, 2021, 11:21:02 AM
Two whole episodes?! Bargain!

Bet it was about £12 as well.

Oh and it came out 1st October 1991 https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_Collection:_Call_of_the_Simpsons So that's way after Do The Bartman, maybe people just like the song?

Gulftastic

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on May 30, 2021, 10:06:19 PM
Even though hardly anyone was watching, everybody had heard of the show by the time the single came out and the merchandise was everywhere (I had a knock off Bart t-shirt from Penney's the previous summer). I didn't see any of it until the first videos came out as the only kid in my area with Sky was a cunt, so 'Do The Bartman' was an event. One kid had a tape of the album, so most of us heard that before we saw an episode of the show.

Indeed. In 1990 we went to that there America on holiday and the a show was exploding over there. The right were up in arms about the Bart slogan 'underachiever and proud of it'. They were wondering if someone could please think of the children.

Later that summer, we were in Croydon market and they had all kinds of Simpsons T-shirts.

Chicory

'Deep Deep Trouble' is the true Simpsons classic. It's the 'Wrapped Around Your Finger' to 'Do The Bartman''s 'Every Breath You Take'.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Gulftastic on May 31, 2021, 03:12:33 PM
Indeed. In 1990 we went to that there America on holiday and the a show was exploding over there. The right were up in arms about the Bart slogan 'underachiever and proud of it'. They were wondering if someone could please think of the children.

Later that summer, we were in Croydon market and they had all kinds of Simpsons T-shirts.

Yes, I was over there in 1990 too* and Simpsons stuff was everywhere. Don't recall it being to anywhere near the same extent here. Sky were pretty small time until they got the football rights in 1992.

*Not to be confused with 1992

gilbertharding

Bob Mortimer doing serious, long haired Rick Astley is on youtube, praise be.

Can't do links, typing on a phone. Find it yourself.

SullySullivan85

Is that every white French non-Cantona footballer who played in England ever?

The Culture Bunker

Not Fabian Barthez or Frank Leboeuf, certainly.

Icehaven

cosmic-hearse

"Looking like the Ku Klux Klan". Oh Anthea ..

Icehaven

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on June 04, 2021, 08:26:41 PM
"Looking like the Ku Klux Klan". Oh Anthea ..

I know!? Fucking hell. What the actual.

cosmic-hearse

Quote from: icehaven on June 04, 2021, 08:22:15 PM
What the fuck is Hippychick about?

Tim London: "'Hippychick' was written from the perspective of a young woman arrested by her boyfriend (who is a policeman) on a demonstration. She is basically telling him it's over, because, as a cop, he supports an establishment she wants to get rid of."

Via the TOTP Facts twitter

Icehaven

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on June 04, 2021, 08:30:34 PM
Tim London: "'Hippychick' was written from the perspective of a young woman arrested by her boyfriend (who is a policeman) on a demonstration. She is basically telling him it's over, because, as a cop, he supports an establishment she wants to get rid of."

Via the TOTP Facts twitter

Well we can all relate to that.

Icehaven

Oleta Adams with the Modes of Transport song.

Mr Banlon

I used to see the KLF rapper "Ricardo De Force" about in Harrow and Wealdstone the mid-80s. I knew him as Fat Ricky. Him and his mate used to have a soundsystem called Groovelux.
I was on the top deck of a 140 bus once and Fat Ricky got on at Harrow Bus Station. He sat at the back and manspread himself in the middle of the back seat like he was king of the bus. As we passed the (now gone) Wealdstone FC ground he shouted down at me
"Eyy white bwoi !"
"Err, yeah ?" I replied.
"You know you whitefolk dun love off the football !" he said in a strong West Indian accent, as he pointed at the football ground.
"Not me Ricky, can't be doing with it myself." I said
"Nah man, me see you down there shouting 'FOOTBAAARL ! FOOTBAARL ! COME ON DA FOOTBAAAAAARL !"
He then asked me where I was going. I told him I was going to my mate's house (who he knew) in Wealdstone.
"Him !" he said, "Heeee's ruuuubbish !"
Thirty five years later, whenever that mate's name is mentioned I still say "Heeee's ruuuubbish !" in a fake West Indian accent.

Gulftastic

NKOTB trying to get some of that Vanilla Ice fat cash. It's nearly over for them, surely?