Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I, for one, hope the second single off their 1994 album makes it to Top of the Pops.

Highlight at the very end there. Surprisingly lovely video.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Mr Banlon on June 04, 2021, 08:52:56 PM
I used to see the KLF rapper "Ricardo De Force" about in Harrow and Wealdstone the mid-80s...

lol, thanks for sharing. I'll have that story in the back of my head whenever I'm watching him (or getting on a 140) from now on.

SullySullivan85

Bloody hell, an early 90s top 10 hit
Spoiler alert
(EMF - I Believe)
[close]
I don't remember!  Banger though, bodes well for the rest of this episode. 
Spoiler alert
Them, Dennis Potter, Joe Meek.  The Forest of Dean throws up the most awkward celebrity dinner parties.
[close]

daf

31 January 1991: Presenter: Anthea 'KKK' Turner

( 9 ) | EMF – I Believe
(18) | RALPH TRESVANT – Sensitivity (video)
(14) | NOMAD feat. M.C. MIKEE FREEDOM – (I Wanna Give You) Devotion
(19) | PRAISE – Only You
(11) | KYLIE MINOGUE – What Do I Have To Do (video)
( 8 ) | SOHO – Hippychick
( 1 ) | THE KLF – 3 a.m. Eternal
(17) | VANILLA ICE – Play That Funky Music (video and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bobby Treetops

Was that Skin from Skunk Anansie I just saw there?

And yet again I enjoyed having a laugh at NKOTB go at hip-hop 'YEAAAAAAAH BOOOIIIIIII!'.

Chicory

Never mind 'some rap', we've now reached peak rubbish white boy rap.  Vanilla Ice, the pranny from 808 State, NKOTB BOOOOOIII and Bart Simpson.

daf

The sound was terrible on both these episodes - must have re-used the tape once too often!

Gulftastic

Quote from: Chicory on June 05, 2021, 10:34:26 AM
Never mind 'some rap', we've now reached peak rubbish white boy rap.  Vanilla Ice, the pranny from 808 State, NKOTB BOOOOOIII and Bart Simpson.

Isn't Bart technically white woman rap?

Sebastian Cobb

What Do I Have to Do isn't a bad attempt by SAW to cash in on the ravey sound, it took them surprisingly long to get on board with it really, when you consider they were forward looking and jumping on the jack sound in the Mel and Kim era, they sounded very dated in 90/91 but didn't seem to attempt to do much about it.

BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

daf

Her best song by far - still got the the 7-inch single I bought at the time.

Apparently, a studio performance of it was recorded a few weeks earlier - (possibly in November at the same time as Step Back in Time?) - as she was on tour in Australia, but it got pulled from this show as we'd just gone into the Gulf War, and Kylie was rocking a massive CND logo!

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on June 05, 2021, 03:04:29 PM
What Do I Have to Do isn't a bad attempt by SAW to cash in on the ravey sound, it took them surprisingly long to get on board with it really, when you consider they were forward looking and jumping on the jack sound in the Mel and Kim era, they sounded very dated in 90/91 but didn't seem to attempt to do much about it.

BWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

To be fair outside of their own productions Pete Waterman was pretty on the ball with his releases on PWL Continental and PWL International. He released 2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This which although it is now regarded as the epitome of cheese was just another club banger at the time.

daf

7 February 1991: Presenter: Bruno Brookes

(21) | KIM APPLEBY – G.L.A.D.
(25) | GLORIA ESTEFAN – Coming Out Of The Dark (video)
(23) | U.K. MIXMASTERS – Night Fever Megamix (video)
(15) | OLETA ADAMS – Get Here
( 2 ) | THE SIMPSONS – Do The Bartman (video)
(24) | KENNY THOMAS – Outstanding
- - - - - - - - - - (Album Chart) - - - - - - - - - - -
( 5 ) | PHIL COLLINS – Do You Remember (live clip)
( 4 ) | WHITNEY HOUSTON – I'm Your Baby Tonight (video)
( 3 ) | ENIGMA – Sadness Part 1 (video)
( 2 ) | ELTON JOHN – Healing Hands (video)
( 1 ) | MADONNA – Vogue (video)
(17) | NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – Games (video)
( 3 ) | 2 IN A ROOM – Wiggle It (video)
( 1 ) | THE KLF – 3 a.m. Eternal

(22) | THE SOURCE feat. CANDI STATON – You Got The Love (video and credits)

Gulftastic

Gloria Estafan was so fucking dull by this stage of her career. One turgid MOR snoozefest after another.

non capisco

Quote from: Gulftastic on June 05, 2021, 07:52:04 PM
Gloria Estafan was so fucking dull by this stage of her career. One turgid MOR snoozefest after another.

Dr Beat is one of my favourite records of all time but I couldn't give a fuck about anything else Gloria Estefan put her name to, with or without the Miami Sound Machine. Same with Sheryl Crow, love 'All I Wanna Do' to the moon and back, not arsed with anything else. Maybe there's a thread in that.

That New Kids On The Block song where they try and paint themselves as a pack of vengeful rapping lads that you wouldn't want to mess with is hilarious. Reminded me of Taylor Parkes on that episode of Chart Music that covered them saying "Have you seen those New Kids On The Block? They were hanging tough outside the Arndale Centre! One of them was eating a lightbulb like it was an apple!"

Give me all of The KLF you've got, 1991 Top Of The Pops. Throw as much of them as you can at me. I will never tire of them. The formation pointing, the clear glee of Drummond and Cauty that they've got a second number one, that little bloke that comes dancing out with the obscure pipe instrument that you can barely hear on the record after two bars. ANCIENTS OF MU MU!!! I vainly hope against the unbreachable wall of historical fact that it's number one for the entirety of the year. Tough luck, Bryan Adams, I'm repainting the past my way.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 05, 2021, 04:38:44 PM
To be fair outside of their own productions Pete Waterman was pretty on the ball with his releases on PWL Continental and PWL International. He released 2 Unlimited - Get Ready For This which although it is now regarded as the epitome of cheese was just another club banger at the time.

He also financed the full release of Urban Shakedown's 'Some Justice' (hence why part of the publishing was All Boys Music). Various peeps on the rave scene (Luna-C & DJ Phantasy) both speak very highly of him. As in, they assumed he knew nothing about the rave scene, but when they spoke to him he was totally clued up.

DrGreggles

The KLF being number 1 felt like the greatest thing in the world to the 14 year old Greggles.
Not sure I was ever as excited about the charts before or since.

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on June 05, 2021, 10:55:00 PM
The KLF being number 1 felt like the greatest thing in the world to the 14 year old Greggles.
Not sure I was ever as excited about the charts before or since.

It's a winningly victorious performance. I was getting 1984 Frankie Two Tribes vibes.

Norton Canes

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on June 04, 2021, 08:26:41 PM
"Looking like the Ku Klux Klan". Oh Anthea ..

When your most jaw-dropping TV moment isn't the time you almost got blown to pieces by pyrotechnic charges

Quote from: non capisco on June 05, 2021, 09:03:05 PM
that little bloke that comes dancing out with the obscure pipe instrument that you can barely hear on the record after two bars

At least he gets across to the other side of the stage in time on the Red Cloaks performance. You had one job!

Quote from: non capisco on June 05, 2021, 11:25:03 PM
It's a winningly victorious performance. I was getting 1984 Frankie Two Tribes vibes

It's still a little bit too choreographed - it doesn't quite exude the sheer hedonism of the 'Last Train...' or 'Justified and Ancient' appearances. Still wipes the floor with what most other artists were doing in the Pops studio though

Quote from: Bobby Treetops on June 05, 2021, 08:56:45 AM
Was that Skin from Skunk Anansie I just saw there?

Mrs Canes was adamant it was Skin from the second she saw her. A brief trawl of the internet yields no confirmation though (even Top of the Pops Facts is reticent), and there's no mention of it in her biography (strangely - come on, not everyone gets the chance to work with Kenny Thomas!). Come on Skin, 'fess up.

Quote from: daf on June 05, 2021, 03:25:47 PM
Apparently, a studio performance of it was recorded a few weeks earlier... but it got pulled from this show as we'd just gone into the Gulf War, and Kylie was rocking a massive CND logo!

Did it ever get shown? On TOTP2 perhaps?

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 06, 2021, 11:00:09 AM
Did it ever get shown? On TOTP2 perhaps?

Not so far - according to our old chum . . .

Quote from: the ex-Blue Peter producer & bloke in the Pudsey outfit"this was recorded just before Christmas. There was only one logo, sublimated, on Kylie's John Galliano top. But that was enough to trigger the ban. The performance still exists but has never been screened. I know they tried and failed to clear it for one of the Kylie special edition CD/DVD releases."

So, not a massive CND logo after all [I did embroider that detail I must admit!], but there still seems to be a sticking point somewhere, possibly on the BBC's side, for some reason.

They'd never sit on something like this if it was an unseen archive performance by Dave Bowie or Queen - more likely they'd create a special 'at the BBC' compilation just to show it off!

non capisco

Presumably this is why Anthea Turner said "And she's here!" then they showed the video. I presumed that was just her fouling things up again. 'They look like the Ku Klux Klan', I ask you.

daf

This is from a few months later (April 1991) - so likely a similar routine to what we would have seen on TOTP :

What Do I Have To Do (French TV)

Chicory

Quote from: daf on June 05, 2021, 03:25:47 PM
Apparently, a studio performance of it was recorded a few weeks earlier - (possibly in November at the same time as Step Back in Time?) - as she was on tour in Australia, but it got pulled from this show as we'd just gone into the Gulf War, and Kylie was rocking a massive CND logo!

Another hero of the lentil munchers gets it in the etc.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on June 06, 2021, 01:27:05 PM
This is from a few months later (April 1991) - so likely a similar routine to what we would have seen on TOTP

And indeed similar to pretty much every other studio performance of her career :)

I'm now starting to imagine every TOTP performance that's basically a bog-standard PA supersized to epic KLF 'Last Train...' style proportions with 15 people on the stage

Billy

Isn't it around about now it got really bloody cold in the south of England to levels not seen for another 20 years or so? I'll have to check the next ep out to see if everyone's shivering in winter coats while trying to dance.

buzby

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on June 04, 2021, 08:26:41 PM
"Looking like the Ku Klux Klan". Oh Anthea ..
Although it's a typically boneheaded comment from 'Cocaine' Turner, it's also exactly what PP Arnold said about the cloaks when they asked her to wear one for the shooting of the Stadium House Trilogy video.

The TOTP performance of 3AM Eternal is where her beef with Bill & Jimmy started. The 'Live At The SSL' remix used sampled of her vocal (KLF! Aha Aha!) from the orginal White Room OST version of Church Of The KLF. When she saw them performing it on TOTP she was very angry to see Maxine Harvey (the lead vocalist on the track, the left of the two singers) miming to her vocals as they hadn't asked her to appear with them. This was later compounded when they apparently went back on the agreement to give her a royalty percentage on top of her session fee.

The other sample they raided their back catalogue for is Chike's 'Justified! Ancients  Of Mu Mu!' which came from the JAMs' first single All You Need Is Love. The clarinet solo was provided by Duy Khiem, another one of their old friends who sang the traditional Vietnamese song 'Me Ru Con' and played clarinet on 1987.

For the performances we got King Boy D and Rockman Rock in their oilskins doing the full rock god poses, Tony Thorpe of the Moody Boys again on drums, the aforementioned Maxine Harvey and Ashanti (who did the 'Are you ready? Here we go' lines) on vocals, Blsck Steel (who sang on the White Room version of Justified and Ancient and also provided additional bass and vocals to the Moody Boys remixes of 3AM Eternal), Duy Kheim appearing right on cue in traditional garb and of course Ricardo Da Force. The 'It's Grim Up North' t-shirts are prominent, as the original version featuring Pete Wylie on vocals had been released the previous November, and which would get reworked later in the year. for the second performance, Da force is rapping into a Motorola 8000S DynaTAC 'brick' mobile phone, which was later reprised for the 'stage' performance in the Stadium House Trliogy video.

We never saw the video on TOTP, but it was directed by their old mate Bill Butt again and  featured footage of Ford Timelord driving around the centre of London late at night from the abandoned White Room film (referencing the 'London by night, all alone' lyrics of the Pure Trance version of the song), intercut with newly-shot interior scenes of Bill & Jimmy in the front seats with Force and Ashanti in the back. and the car passing Harvey at various points. These new scenes had to be filmed with the car being towed on a trailer, as by this time Ford Timelord's engine block had cracked and it had been laid up in the driveway of Trancentral with no MOT slowly rusting away.

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 09, 2021, 10:24:03 AM
Fuck. Off.

Produced by Nigel Wright who also produced Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini for Timmy Mallet.

Ahh yeah.

Pauline Walnuts

Night Fever Megamix was worse.

And Bruno decided to tell us of the people behind it, and the the other crimes they'd like the judge to take into account on TotPs  for some reason.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on June 06, 2021, 01:27:05 PM
This is from a few months later (April 1991) - so likely a similar routine to what we would have seen on TOTP :

What Do I Have To Do (French TV)

first 30 seconds here: https://twitter.com/richardmarson2/status/1401588687671078922

Apparently