Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:12:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicory

Quote from: KennyMonster on June 21, 2021, 08:20:31 PM
But Strummer did appear on the programme once didn't he?..................

Spoiler alert
'Just The One'
[close]
?

KennyMonster

Quote from: Chicory on June 21, 2021, 08:25:43 PM
Spoiler alert
'Just The One'
[close]
?

Spoiler alert
hmmm might have pm you to check then.
[close]

non capisco

Wasn't Strummer on that fuckawful Keith Allen and Black Grape song 'England's Irie'? If not that it'll be something to do with Keith fucking Allen, won't it? He was in the crowd for Vindaloo maybe. I sincerely doubt Goblin In The Office got high enough in the charts to merit a TOTP appearance.

Chicory

Being a fan of the 'Grape at the time, I quite liked it.  I'd never heard of Allen at that point and just assumed he was a particularly irritating band member.

KennyMonster

Quote from: non capisco on June 21, 2021, 08:54:11 PM
Wasn't Strummer on that fuckawful Keith Allen and Black Grape song 'England's Irie'? If not that it'll be something to do with Keith fucking Allen, won't it? He was in the crowd for Vindaloo maybe. I sincerely doubt Goblin In The Office got high enough in the charts to merit a TOTP appearance.

Yeah that's it.

If I have it right, Strummer and the Sex Pistols made their studio debuts on the same episode of TOTP.

Gina G presented.

See, that's what we have to look forwards to in the mid-90s.

CANNOT WAIT

Chicory

Quote from: A Hat Like That on June 22, 2021, 06:48:12 PM
If I have it right, Strummer and the Sex Pistols made their studio debuts on the same episode of TOTP.

Gina G presented.

See, that's what we have to look forwards to in the mid-90s.

CANNOT WAIT

Unfortunately we'll never see it because Mike Smith was in the studio that night and there's a fleeting shot of his foot.

daf

14 March 1991: Presenter: Simon Mayo & Lenny Henry

(18) | CHESNEY HAWKES – The One And Only
(19) | REM – Losing My Religion (video)
(14) | RIDE – Unfamiliar
(22) | THE BEE GEES – Secret Love (video)
(24) | QUEEN – I'm Going Slightly Mad (video)
(13) | MASSIVE – Unfinished Sympathy 
(20) | ROD STEWART – Rhythm Of My Heart (video)
(25) | HAPPY MONDAYS – Loose Fit

( 1 ) | THE CLASH – Should I Stay Or Should I Go (video)
(23) | JESUS JONES – Who? Where? Why? (+ credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Pauline Walnuts

kalowski

So Garry Newby is 6' 11/2" tall. That's a funny way if saying 6' 5.5"

The Culture Bunker

Having stood near to Mr Newby, I think it's supposed to mean he's about six foot one (and a half) inches.

I do like 'Native Place' so it's nice to see it got a good review, as little as it did for the Railway Children's career.

daf

21 March 1991: Presenter: Anthea Turner (Live)

(27) | JESUS LOVES YOU – Bow Down Mister
(13) | SIMPLE MINDS – Let There Be Love (video)
(20) | BANDERAS – This Is Your Life   
( 8 ) | QUARTZ introducing DINA CARROLL – It's Too Late
( 7 ) | PET SHOP BOYS – Where The Streets Have No Name (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(29) | DEFINITION OF SOUND – Wear Your Love Like Heaven (video)
(32) | SCRITTI POLITTI feat. SHABBA RANKS – She's A Woman (video)
(34) | JANE'S ADDICTION – Been Caught Stealing (video)
(23) | FEARGAL SHARKEY – I've Got News For You   
( 4 ) | ROXETTE – Joyride
( 1 ) | HALE & PACE & THE STONKERS – The Stonk

(26) | MEGADETH – Hangar 18 (video and credits)

Icehaven

Had no idea Been Caught Stealing was that old, thought it was about 10 years younger.

Captain Z

I have a suspicion that I have heard that Pet Shop Boys track before, but that my brain has tried to erase the memory.

KennyMonster

I always thought Been Caught Stealing was a few years earlier, late 80s, I.e. just before I was getting into music.

Hadn't realise/forgotten Definition Of Sound charted too.
I still play that track to this day while out running.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Captain Z on June 26, 2021, 11:52:55 PM
I have a suspicion that I have heard that Pet Shop Boys track before, but that my brain has tried to erase the memory.
The U2 cover part is a bit of nothing, but I think the change over to 'Can't Take My Eyes Off You' is really well done.

I remember seeing the video for 'The Stonk' that had various comedy types in it - the Mary Whitehouse Experience appear for a brief moment, all doing stupid dances or whatever, except for Robert Newman, who understandably hides his face behind his hands.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on June 26, 2021, 08:43:17 AM
14 March 1991: Presenter: Simon Mayo & Lenny Henry

(18) | CHESNEY HAWKES – The One And Only

The anachronistic rock guitars, the bombastic chorus, the overwhelming turgidity of the whole thing... was this the first Britpop single?
Spoiler alert
(no)
[close]
Spoiler alert
(or was it?)
[close]
Spoiler alert
(   no   )
[close]

(25) | HAPPY MONDAYS – Loose Fit

Another supremely confident performance from the Mondays with a real natural panache. Rowetta looks amazing but I noticed Bez is a bit more backgrounded. Sadly that's it for them, though, the big hits are over. Roll on Black Grape.

Quote from: daf on June 26, 2021, 09:24:17 PM
21 March 1991: Presenter: Anthea 'That's just noise' Turner (Live)

(27) | JESUS LOVES YOU – Bow Down Mister

Cute song and a nice performance, proving that KLF didn't have a monopoly on robed ensemble pieces. 

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on June 26, 2021, 09:43:25 AM
OMG it's MC Kinky on the Bongos!

And Wayne Hussey on guitar
Spoiler alert
(or was it?)
[close]
Spoiler alert
(   no   )
[close]

(20) | BANDERAS – This Is Your Life   

Another vaguely-remembered mid-tier hit trawled from the unfathomable depths of Pops history. Was it just me expecting an alien Xenomorph to start sniffing the singer's face?

( 7 ) | PET SHOP BOYS – Where The Streets Have No Name (video)

Is it arch, or just rubbish?
Spoiler alert
It's just rubbish
[close]
Spoiler alert
or is it?
[close]
Spoiler alert
(  yes  )
[close]

Johnboy

Ride arguably at their peak there - such a great EP.

Singer Mark Gardner is using one of Paul Weller's Rickenbackers which I have misremembered since 1991 as a different Paul Weller Rickenbacker.

(I remember it so clearly as another guitar that I'm considering it some time travel trickery.)

gilbertharding

Counterfactual:

Chesney Hawkes has his mole removed, and changes his hair conditioning regime. More hits?

Loved to shot on this of the other guitarist clearly not knowing the words, but having a bash at backing vocals anyway.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 28, 2021, 10:01:06 AM
Another vaguely-remembered mid-tier hit trawled from the unfathomable depths of Pops history. Was it just me expecting an alien Xenomorph to start sniffing the singer's face?

Always loved that song, one of my favourites. Good album too. And then they were gone.

Icehaven

I might be pilloried here but how fucking great was that Gary Clail tune? I remember it really well, I'd just forgotten about it for 30 years.

daf

It's a quality banger - I love that Shamen-style gated "erng-erng-erng" sound!

Icehaven

Is this Jive Bunny thing a school play?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on July 02, 2021, 08:43:06 PM
I might be pilloried here but how fucking great was that Gary Clail tune? I remember it really well, I'd just forgotten about it for 30 years.

Don't want to open a big argument about the merits of list threads, but Head Gardner posting Emotional Hooligan in one and me checking it out just on the artwork is something I'm quite grateful for, it's an excellent album.

Icehaven

That's her out of Republica in N-Joi isn't it?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Johnboy on July 02, 2021, 03:45:24 PM
Ride arguably at their peak there - such a great EP.
It's a close call - but I'd go for their next single, which on the 12" had the brilliant ten minute instrumental noise-fest 'Grasshopper' as the b-side, which I've always thought was the best thing they ever put onto tape.

Icehaven

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on July 02, 2021, 09:03:33 PM
Don't want to open a big argument about the merits of list threads, but Head Gardner posting Emotional Hooligan in one and me checking it out just on the artwork is something I'm quite grateful for, it's an excellent album.

The single by the same name is terrible though, is the rest of the album any better?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: icehaven on July 02, 2021, 10:12:54 PM
The single by the same name is terrible though, is the rest of the album any better?

I think it's an alright lp.

Although I always thought he was more of a marmite artist than a 'hit or miss' artist, if that makes sense. Or perhaps I remember it being a good record but not actually remembering individual tracks.

Sebastian Cobb

Think I'm a couple of episodes behind. The Stonk genuinely annoys me.