Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edon

Quote from: Gulftastic on November 24, 2020, 05:47:49 PM
Aye, everyone should look out for what 'STEP ONE!' means to him.

It's my favourite NKOTB thing. My second favourite is in their Bealtes rip off 'Tonight' when they set the record for the longest pronunciation of the word 'girls' in a boy band song.
That's reminded me of how one of them has his Adidas shirt pixelated/censored out in the video for it for no apparent reason, other than possibly product placement regulations or something. Just looks odd in the end as it's so big that it makes the branding even more obvious, and none of the rest are wearing it either.

buzby

Quote from: daf on November 14, 2020, 09:32:04 PM
22 March 1990: Presenter: Gary Davies
Dependable Davies again. Who woudl have thought that the prospect of Gary Davies would be something to look forward to, but when the alternatives are Anthea 'Charlie' Turner or Nicky 'impending #Cancelled' Campbell...
(28)ORBITAL – Chime
Yeah, stick it to the Man, lads!

It's a cracking tune, this. This was actually the fourth recording, and had been recorded in a professional studio (sorry, Gary). The initial demo was recorded live by Paul directly to his dad's 1970s Pioneer stereo cassette deck before he was going out to the pub, and the 'Chime' in question was a chord sampled from one of his dad's easy listening records. He played the tape to his friend, London pirate DJ Jazzy M who owned the Vinyl Zone record shop in Fulham. He liked it but suggested it needed to be a couple of minutes longer for DJs to play it. Paul went back and had another go, re-recording a the track to be twice as long. Jazzy M liked this even more, and suggested it needed to be mastered to a Metal cassette, so Phil had to run through it again, recording it on a TDK MA90 that cost him £3.65. He took this back to Jazzy M, and when he played it in the shop that friday afternoon the DJs who were in there all asked for a copy.

This led them to go halves on getting 1000 copies pressed up and Jazzy M set up Oh Zone Records to release it,. They sold out in 2 weeks so they pressed another 1000 copies. The buzz it was creating in the clubs led to 6 labels contacting them to try and licence it, and in the end, they went with Pete Tong and his FFRR dance sublabel of London Records, who gave them a £2000 advance. Tong wanted a seven-inch version, so they were out into Marcus Studios to professionally record another shorter version (and another 12" version, which was not used at the time as everyone preferred the original stereo cassette master).

The brothers have lugged all their gear along with them - no BBC props cupboard or Octave Hire gear here. It's very much a period 'gold standard' acid house setup too - Phil has the Roland TB303 and SH101 duo, with the 303 sitting on top of a Yamaha DX100. Paul has an Alesis MMT8 sequencer and HR16 drum machine sitting on top of an Akai S700, a Roland TR909 drum machine and at the back a Casio CZ101 sitting on top of a wooden box. I think the dancer's cute too, but then she has a black bob haircut...
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34)QUEEN LATIFAH & DE LA SOUL – Mama Gave Birth To The Soul Children  (video)
Agree with everybody else - this is a banger. The single version is the Secondary Mix, by CJ Mackintosh and his Nasty Rox bandmate John Waddell. There was no video recorded for the track though, so Tommy Boy edited one together out of existing videos, but did a pretty good job. Any excuse to see Latifah's dancers the Safari Sisters do their thing is fine by me.
(12)SNAP – The Power
"Copy written lyrics so they can't be stolen" - oh the irony.
The Power Jam (as it was orignally titled) was assembled by German producers Michael Münzing and Luca Anzilotti in 1989 from percussion sampled from Mantronix's King Of The Beats, a vocal sample (I've got the power!) from Jocelyn Brown's Love's Gonna Get You, the vocal hook from Chaka Khan's Some Love and the horn riff and the rap from of Chill Rob G's Let The Words Flow (produced by Mark 'The 45 King' James and released on New Jersey's Wild Pitch Records). They released it on their own Logic Records label in Germany.

They had made a deal with Wild Pitch's owner Stu Fine to use the samples from Rob G's record, but had no deal to release the track in the US. It became a club hit in Germany, so Fine decided to release a reconstruction of the track on Wild Pitch as The Power by Power Jam featuring Chill Rob G. In the meantime, the record was picked up for a full release by Ariola Records in Europe. They managed to clear most of the samples, but the main vocal parts were a problem. They had seen that Wild Pitch had released a version in the US, and Ariola's parent BMG wanted to release it there too, so they needed to replace Chill Rob G's rap. They draughted in Darren 'Turbo B' Butler, who was serving in the US Army in Germany to redo the rap (which was largely based on Chill Rob G's lyrics). They actually asked Chaka Khan to redo her vocal part and feature on the record, but she wasn't interested so she asked her backing singer Penny Ford if she wanted to do it instead.

The new version of the track was released under the name Snap! and became a global hit. A video was filmed, but instead of asking Penny Ford they brought Jackie Harris in to mime to Ford's vocal (it's Harris in studio for this performance). BMG released the new version in the US through their Arista label and it became a massive hit there too, wiping Wild Pitch's version off the map and so Chill Rob G and Mark The 45 King saw hardly anything from their track being used.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: buzby on November 24, 2020, 10:19:49 PM
and the 'Chime' in question was a chord sampled from one of his dad's easy listening records.

Johnny Pearson - Sleepy Shores

the

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 25, 2020, 02:29:43 PM
Quote from: buzby on November 24, 2020, 10:19:49 PMand the 'Chime' in question was a chord sampled from one of his dad's easy listening records.

Johnny Pearson - Sleepy Shores

Sleepy Shores (as in the song) is certainly where the reverse string loop is from (the same one that was in Energy Flash) - but I don't think the chime itself is in there.

The chime hit sounds like quite a confident piano chord - the piano parts in SS sound too slight and soft (even when pitched) and I've found no candidates for that particular chord in there. So I'm guessing the hit was from another track on the Sleepy Shores LP.

buzby

Quote from: daf on November 21, 2020, 09:27:36 AM
29 March 1990: Presenter: Nicky Campbell
This fucking bellend. What's with that hair?
(22)BIZZ NIZZ – Don't Miss The Partyline
T thought this was a bit too basic back then (and I was a big fan of French Kiss) and time has done it no favours. It just goes on and on with hardly any variation - it might work in a club when you are off your face, but it's not interesting to listen to recreationally. Also, the recording is so lo-fi it sounds like it was recorded via an answering machine message - it makes Orbital's Metal cassette master sound like it came off a Sony PCM-F1 in comparison. One good thing is it gave DJs that 'Hey DJ, Where's The Bass?' sample to play around with, and we do get to see a Casio AZ1 keytar.

One half of Bizz Nizz goes on to much bigger things as the producer behind 2 Unlimited.
(23)HEART – All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (video)
He brought the woman out of me, so many times, easily
<vomits>
Seriously, Mutt Lange thought these lyrics were good and that it was a good idea to make a woman sing them? To be fair to Heart, they were pressured into recording the song by their label, and Ann Wilson is on record as saying she hates it and the somg's meaning is 'hideous'.
(24)THE FAMILY STAND – Ghetto Heaven
Quote from: phantom_power on November 23, 2020, 01:49:12 PM
Ghetto Heaven is an absolute stormer of a record. Sort of a proto Unfinished Sympathy
I've been waiting for this, as it is indeed a BANGER. Another one that I first heard on John Peel's show. Sandra St. Victor's vocal is fantastic, and the Soul Ii soul remix with the subdued strings suits the track so much better than the messy, clattering original mix (though it does expose the  OTT James Brown grunting, which is more hidden under the other layers on the original).

As you say, it's very much in the vein of Unfinished Sympathy, which would take the 'hip hop beats + strings' combination to a whole new level. Nelee Hooper was of course an associate of the Wild Bunch, who were at this time coalescing into Massive Attack. He was also another ex-member of Nasty Rox Inc along with Dave Dorrell, John Waddell and CJ Mackintosh, who replaced him as the band's DJ - it's weird how members of one also-ran band where having so much influence over dance music at this time.

St. Victor looks amazing for this performance, with the red scarf on her shoulder ofsetting the half-red dye job on her hair. She's got the moves too. We also get another appearance of that Casio AZ1 as well.
(21)JAM TRONIK – Another Day In Paradise
From the sublime to the ridiculous. This pair of German bandwagon jumpers were producer Ullrich Fischer and 'Nikita Warren', an alias for Anja Lukaseder (though the vocals were actually by an uncredited session singer). I mentioned that name in my last post in association with JT And The Big Family - she would later go on to be the front for the BHF Team's future incarnation.

This is just rotten. The hilariously out of place samples (OH YEAH!) are the icing on a shit sandwich. On the plus side, we do get the first TOTP glimpse of a Roland D20, which was a cut-down version of the D50 - it was actually based on the D110 rack unit  but with the addition of a built-in sequencer and disk drive to make it into a workstation. There is a Roland Octapad on the stand above it (which doesn't get touched) and the inevitable DX7 alongside. Lukaseder's over-dramatic 'performance' is the centrepiece, however.

Thankfully it's their only UK chart entry, but they would go on to record a number of terrible chicken-in-a-basket dance covers (with Lukaseder doing the vocals) featuring their trademark ludicrously out-of-place samples:
Yesterday Once More
End Of The Road
Stand By Me
I Would Do Anything For Love
I think I'll leave it there...

non capisco

The Family Stand - Ghetto Heaven....

though it does expose the  OTT James Brown grunting, which is more hidden under the other layers on the original

The grunt is from the much sampled Syl Johnson - Different Strokes

Jam Tronik - Another Day In Paradise...

Nikita Warren', an alias for Anja Lukaseder (though the vocals were actually by an uncredited session singer). I mentioned that name in my last post in association with JT And The Big Family - she would later go on to be the front for the BHF Team's future incarnation.

Anja Lukaseder didn't front for the BHF team, that was Suzy Dal Gesso who sang on many of their tracks under different aliases and was the woman miming to the Caron Wheeler sample on TOTP, BHF pinched the name from Anja when they met her on TOTP as mentioned by Mauro Ferrucci in this interview.

https://decadancebook.wordpress.com/tag/bhf-team/

We made (Nikta Warren) "I Need You" with very few things, a Roland TR-909, a Yamaha DX7 keyboard and a sequencer built by Paul. Susy Dal Gesso sang it. The name Nikita Warren, on the other hand, was inspired by the German singer of the same name (Anja Lukaseder, the one who in 1989 interprets "Another Day In Paradise" by Jam Tronik, ed.)met in London on March 8th 1990 while recording an episode of Top Of The Pops in which we participated with "Moments In Soul" by JT And The Big Family. Three weeks later we would be back on the same stage with "Venus" by Don Pablo's Animals

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2020, 07:26:13 AM
The grunt is from the much sampled Syl Johnson - Different Strokes
One of the grunts is. The other two grunts in the middle 8 are from the intro to James Brown's Can I Get Some Help
Anja Lukaseder didn't front for the BHF team, that was Suzy Dal Gesso who sang on many of their tracks under different aliases and was the woman miming to the Caron Wheeler sample on TOTP, BHF pinched the name from Anja when they met her on TOTP as mentioned by Mauro Ferrucci in this interview.
I said 'front' not necessarily 'sing'. Lukaseder's German Wikipedia entry lists the BHF Team singles as being her, as does this article from Bild that says she couldn't sing when she got a job as a talent  show judgs on German TV. Also, it appears to be Lukaseder on the cover of Touch Me (which was sung by Emanuela Panizzo) and We Can Make It (in the Touch Me pictures she's even wearing the same bangles she wore on TOTP).

Maybe they just used her pictures. There was apparently a video shot for Touch Me, but I've not been able to find it.

Quote from: buzby on November 26, 2020, 08:33:46 AM
Maybe they just used her pictures.

Possibly, a lot of the early Italian house records were as liberal with their theft of pictures for covers as they were with their use of samples for the tracks - it's a bit rum stealing her name and her pictures. The whole thing's pretty confusing, it's only on the French release where there is a Nikta Warren credit.

Quote from: buzby on November 26, 2020, 08:33:46 AM
There was apparently a video shot for Touch Me, but I've not been able to find it.

It's interesting you mention that, I definately saw a black and white video a couple of years ago for I Need You on YouTube that I can't find now, it was a 3.30 single version which I'm sure had a woman singing at a piano as some of the footage - it was a slightly more downtempo version that sounded quite mid nineties IIRC.

It's quite sad for BHF, in that interview I linked it said that they don't receive any payments for the I Need You piano line that has been sampled many times because their contract with Irma didn't have any provision for sampling.

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2020, 09:59:03 AM
It's a bit rum stealing her name and her pictures. The whole thing's pretty confusing, it's only on the French release where there is a Nikta Warren credit.
I think they may have done a deal with her, just as Jam Tronik had done, at least after 'I Need You'. In that Bild article she didn't deny she was involved in some way with those tracks, and after 1995 she packed it in and bacame a promoter under her real name and eventually got into management (which is how she got the TV gig). It's notable that in her bio on her agency's website she doesn't mention her 'musical' career at all.

The French release seems to be the only one that got a picture sleeve, so they presumably wanted a name to attach to her photo. She was a model, so Nikita Warren may have been her stage name from that.
It's quite sad for BHF, in that interview I linked it said that they don't receive any payments for the I Need You piano line that has been sampled many times because their contract with Irma didn't have any provision for sampling.
I don't know, it's difficult to feel too bad for them on that score given the number of (presumably uncleared, being Italian) samples they used in their tracks.

Back to Jam Tronik - I noticed that they got Candy Flip to do a couple of remixes of Another Day In Paradise, but they don't seem to exist on the internet. A potential clash of the terrible cover versions. I wonder if that relationship was formed in the TVC bar too?

Quote from: buzby on November 26, 2020, 11:34:14 AM
I think they may have done a deal with her, just as Jam Tronik had done, at least after 'I Need You'. In that Bild article she didn't deny she was involved in some way with those tracks,
The French release seems to be the only one that got a picture sleeve, so they presumably wanted a name to attach to her photo. She was a model, so Nikita Warren may have been her stage name from that.

Sounds likely.

Back to Jam Tronik - I noticed that they got Candy Flip to do a couple of remixes of Another Day In Paradise, but they don't seem to exist on the internet. A potential clash of the terrible cover versions. I wonder if that relationship was formed in the TVC bar too?

ADIP & SFF were both released on the same label in the UK (Debut). Danny Spencer from Candy Flip went on to do a plethora of remixes in the 90s with his brother Kelvin as Sure Is Pure, they later worked on Robbie Williams' Rudebox LP and Kelvin was a songwriter on Rock DJ.

I don't know, it's difficult to feel too bad for them on that score given the number of (presumably uncleared, being Italian) samples they used in their tracks.

We can return to BHF when/if that Don Pablo's Animals performance turns up Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three fans will be thrilled to hear no doubt.

Norton Canes

(24)THE FAMILY STAND – Ghetto Heaven
(21)JAM TRONIK – Another Day In Paradise

I just love the juxtaposition between these two songs, one with an authentic, heartfelt message about getting what it takes to make it through the day (Unfinished Empathy?), the other a shallow, ersatz version of an already hollow song by someone with no ability to relate to the subject matter. If TOTP wasn't a lightweight pop programme I'd almost be tempted to say that the two performances were put together specifically to highlight this disparity.

daf

12 April 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(23)JESUS JONES – Real Real Real
(18)JANET JACKSON – Escapade (video)
(15)TECHNOTRONIC feat. M.C. ERIC – This Beat Is Technotronic
(11)HEART – All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(28)DAVE BOWIE & THE DAVE BOWIE BAND (feat. DAVE BOWIE) – Fame 90 (video)
(30)SONIA – Counting Every Minute (video)
(31)THE BLUES BROTHERS – Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
( 7 )BIZZ NIZZ – Don't Miss The Partyline
(17)PAUL ABDUL – Opposites Attract (video)
(24)THE CURE – Pictures Of You
( 1 )MADONNA – Vogue (video)

(26)THE QUIREBOYS – I Don't Love You Anymore (video and credits)

edon

Comes as no surprise but the FNM performance in full was great. Wonder how many of the people watching TOTP at the time actually recognised the Mr Bungle shirt.

Hopefully Chart Music cover an episode with Patton and co on it soon, think it was Sarah Bee who voiced some appreciation for King for a Day... in one of them. The show just on with their debut appearance wouldn't be a bad one actually - there wasn't much on that was objectively poor besides some of the first few songs.

non capisco

Yeah, Bee's a mega fan I think. That performance was brilliant. Patton's piss taking miming, no-one on the crew telling Mike Bordin not to actually thump the shit out of the bass drum in a mimed performance (at least he was in time, unlike the drummer from Simple Minds when they were in studio doing 'Promised You A Miracle'), the bit where the camera suddenly zoomed into Jim Martin and he gave a little nod and grin. I bloody love Faith No More.

1990's not been bad so far. The Mondays doing Step On the other week was pretty joyous. Rowetta looked cool as fuck.

Icehaven

Props to Paula Abdul, I'd have gone out with that cartoon cat as well.

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on November 28, 2020, 08:56:37 PM
Props to Paula Abdul, I'd have gone out with that cartoon cat as well.

Barbed penis, mate. Can't believe she didn't mention it in the song, to be honest.

non capisco

Cats are from Mars
Human women from Ve-e-nus. I don't like pain.
I have a barbed penis.

Norton Canes

He shits in bushes,
I sit on the loo
He licks his arsehole clean
I use a tissue

daf

19 April 1990: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

(21) | SONIA – Counting Every Minute
(25) | THE QUIREBOYS – I Don't Love You Anymore (video)
(20) | ADAMSKI – Killer
(18) | THE BLUES BROTHERS – Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (video)
( 2 ) | ALANNAH MYLES – Black Velvet

(28) | THE ADVENTURES OF STEVIE V – Dirty Cash
(30) | FAITH NO MORE – From Out Of Nowhere
( 1 ) | MADONNA – Vogue (video)
(12) | THE FAMILY STAND – Ghetto Heaven (video and credits)

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 28, 2020, 09:53:39 PM
He shits in bushes,
I sit on the loo
I use a tissue

Who'd have thought (ahhhh!)
We could be lovers
He makes the bed
And I am a cat

Captain Z

Quote from: daf on November 28, 2020, 09:56:01 PM

QuoteGreta Garbo and Monroe
Dietrich and DiMaggio
Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean
On the cover of a magazine
Grace Kelly, Harlow, Jean
Picture of a beauty queen
Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire
Ginger Rogers, dance on air
They had style, they had grace
Rita Hayworth gave good face
Lauren, Katharine, Lana too
Bette Davis, we love you
Ladies with an attitude
Fellows that were in the mood
Don't just stand there, let's get to it
Strike a pose, there's nothing to it

VOGUE

the

So why the 1990 resurgence of The Blues Brothers? Ten year anniversary? Re-release on home video?

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 28, 2020, 09:53:39 PM
He shits in bushes,
I sit on the loo
I use a tissue
Convulsing with laughter.

Sebastian Cobb

I don't know what mix they used for Pictures of You, I think it's from the same album recording I had on CD and also on my 'remastered' vinyl, but it sounds more dynamic and less muddy than either version I owned.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on November 27, 2020, 09:39:59 PM
12 April 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(23)JESUS JONES – Real Real Real

They're only the band Pop Will Eat Itself could have been - thank fuck. And they'll certainly need to book a rest after that gig huh readers? FACT: Our college 5-a-side indoor football team in 1990 was called 'Real Real Real' (as in Real Madrid, yeah) and our shirts were Vic Reeves Big Night Out tour t-shirts, except for the goalie, who wore a R&M 'Quality Meat Products' top. How much more 1990 do you want??

(15)TECHNOTRONIC feat. M.C. ERIC – This Beat Is Technotronic

So how big is the TOTP audience these days? I know it's always been the worst-disguised secret in television that the studio only looks full from certain angles but I'm sure that in the mid-80's much more of the studio floor was occupied by crowds, podium dancers etc. In these recent show's it's been painfully obvious from some shots (especially the ones panning across the vast swathes of empty space) that hardly anyone's there, just a ragged line of punters in front of the stage.

(28)DAVE BOWIE & THE DAVE BOWIE BAND (feat. DAVE BOWIE) – Fame 90 (video)

"Ah, forget it, Louise. This throwing shapes to pop songs thing will never take off."

(17)PAUL ABDUL – Opposites Attract (video)

My daughter's comment: "Is he supposed to be black?"

(24)THE CURE – Pictures Of You

Ah, this is just class, isn't it? Not just the song, but the performance. Beautiful. I've often wondered - in a band like The Cure that was dominated by one person's artistic and aesthetic vision, did the band have to get approval for whatever they chose to wear on stage? Was there lots of Bob going "You're not wearing that, it's far too sensible"..?

( 1 )MADONNA – Vogue (video)

'Harlow, Jean' aside, this is a class above all the other pure pop/dance stuff in the chart, no argument.

(26)THE QUIREBOYS – I Don't Love You Anymore (video and credits)

Ha ha! That is the most ridiculously affected 'gravelly' voice I've ever heard. Hilarious. Me and Mrs Canes were trying to work out if the couple in the vid are actually in a doomed relationship, and if so, which one's to blame. Then I came up with the theory that they don't even know each other and have both been put in the room against their will as part of some kind of psychological experiment.

19 April 1990: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

I tell you what, Brambo's far and away the best of the current crop of presenters. No cheesy jokes, no garbled intros, no slimy insincerity. Plus she can totally rock a mac. Can I be permitted a tiny phwoarr?

(21) | SONIA – Counting Every Minute
(25) | THE QUIREBOYS – I Don't Love You Anymore (video)

Yeah let's get the crap out the way

(20) | ADAMSKI – Killer

Absurdly good. This, more than any other dance single in the charts sounded most like the electronic music I was listening to at the time (mostly Front 242) instead of just a load of beats and samples. Such a shame that neither of them did anything near as good again, especially Seal and his swift descent into Radio 2 lite balladry. It's telling that the version of Killer on his 1991 album was produced by the mighty (though by then slightly in decline) Trevor Horn and still sounds moribund compared to this.

(18) | THE BLUES BROTHERS – Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (video)

Mmm, cultural appropriation. How quaint.

( 2 ) | ALANNAH MYLES – Black Velvet

Steady, chaps!

(28) | THE ADVENTURES OF STEVIE V – Dirty Cash

Big up the Biggleswade massive! C'mon, who wasn't doing the 'dirty cash' moves while this was on? I am so getting me some hareem pants.

(30) | FAITH NO MORE – From Out Of Nowhere

What larks! Excuse my ignorance, but did Mike Patton really dress like this in 1990, or was he taking the piss out of Bill & Ted's type metallers?

'Harlow Jean', possible new sitcom featuring teacher from Essex new town... nah.

Anyway.

It's nearly a month now since I emailed John 'Rockett' Norton at the Rocket Driving School in Dulwich, and no reply. It's him, isn't it? How many Rockett Nortons are there? I only said how much I enjoyed his CYPHER GRAPHICS. Ah well. Like a retired CYPHER GRAPHICS gunslinger I guess he's hung up his animatin' irons and wants to leave that life behind. Rockett, if you got my message, it's OK, you don't have to reply. Just as long as you know that people out there are still loving your work.

Sebastian Cobb

Fucking hell that Sonya performance is atrocious, the track, the choreography, the camerawork and Sonya's miming absolutely everything seems hasty and rushed.

I have no beef with Sonya at all, but it seems like everyone involved in that couldn't be arsed.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 28, 2020, 11:31:26 PM
What larks! Excuse my ignorance, but did Mike Patton really dress like this in 1990, or was he taking the piss out of Bill & Ted's type metallers?

Hard to tell. He did wear some weird stuff back then, he was 19/20 and it could easily have been his look. But he's also a notorious piss-taker.

It's a wonderful performance regardless.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 28, 2020, 11:32:18 PM
Fucking hell that Sonya performance is atrocious, the track, the choreography, the camerawork and Sonya's miming absolutely everything seems hasty and rushed

It really is the arse end of the SAW golden days. They get four big smashes from Kylie's 'Rhythm Of Love' album (Better the Devil You Know, Step Back in Time, What Do I Have to Do and Shocked) but apart from that they struggle to get much at all into the top 20. Just rejoice!

DrGreggles

My band used to cover 'Step Back in Time'.
I think it was meant to be ironic, but I rather liked it.