Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle TechTip

Zuccherro looks like a Leigh Francis character.

daf

18 April 1991: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

( 2 ) | JAMES – Sit Down      
(23) | CHER – The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss) (video)
(19) | ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK – Sailing On The Seven Seas   
(16) | BLACK BOX – Strike It Up   
(15) | THE CLASH – Rock The Casbah (video)
(18) | THE MOCK TURTLES – Can You Dig It?      
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(37) | ZZ TOP – My Head's In Mississippi  (video)
(34) | GLORIA ESTEFAN – Seal Our Fate  (video)
(33) | SILVER BULLET – Undercover Anarchist  (video)
(30) | TRANSVISION VAMP – (I Just Wanna) B With U  (video)
(28) | PETE WYLIE & THE FARM – Sinful  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(22) | ZUCCHERO & PAUL YOUNG – Sensa Una Donna (Without A Woman)   
( 1 ) | CHESNEY HAWKES – The One And Only
( 7 ) | THE SIMPSONS – Deep Deep Trouble (video and credits)

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on July 10, 2021, 07:52:49 AM
11 April 1991: Presenter: Anthea 'Levels' Turner (Live)

( 6 ) | THE WONDERSTUFF – The Size Of A Cow

Mrs Canes completely detests this one and though in general I'm favourably disposed toward the Stuffies I can see why, they seem to have gone through something of a shark jump and turned from a respectable indie band to a group which appears to think it's starring in its own Hanna-Barbera cartoon. Plus, we lived through this shit first time round, and this is another of those songs (hi, Sit Down!) that would inevitably herald a stampede of bleached denim dungaree clad trainee teachers onto the dancefloor at college discos.

(29) | ALISON LIMERICK – Where Love Lives

A couple of times recently I've postulated that songs on these reruns have earned the dubious claim of showing the first hallmarks of B***pop; well, I reckon here, we have our first glorious fully-fledged House Anthem, one of the defining pop genres of the 90's. Choon! etc.

(27) | MONIE LOVE versus ADEVA – Ring My Bell (video)

Woo woo woo! Sorry, can help it.

(23) | MIKE & THE MECHANICS – Word Of Mouth

Ah man, can you imagine what it would have been like at a 'Chanics concert when they let rip with this monster? Fists pumping, arms waving, everyone jumping, wow it must have been absolutely mental

- - - - - - - - - - (Album Chart) - - - - - - - - - - -

Doesn't seem right without clips of Healing Hands and Nessun Dorma

(10) | DANNII MINOGUE – Love And Kisses   

Mrs Canes reminded me that La Minogue minore got relentlessly fat shamed when this came out for being the 'chubby' sister which apart from being inexcusable seems just blatanetly, objectively wrong now.

(30) | THE SHAMEN – Hyperreal (video and credits)

Crazy to think that Omega Amigo, Pro-Gen and Make It Mine had already been released from En-Tact and failed to make the top 40.

Quote from: daf on July 10, 2021, 11:50:10 PM
18 April 1991: Presenter: Jakki 'Consummate' Brambles

(19) | ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK – Sailing On The Seven Seas

Following the Personal Jesus blueprint for 80's legends glitter beat comebacks. Tried to dance to this the other night and couldn't help doing the Ian Curtis. Nice middle eight.

(18) | THE MOCK TURTLES – Can You Dig It?   

Weird to think that big brother Mark would have been considered the successful Coogan when this was around. Glad to see the keyboard player has ditched her Tron costume from their last show.

- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(37) | ZZ TOP – My Head's In Mississippi  (video)
(34) | GLORIA ESTEFAN – Seal Our Fate  (video)
(33) | SILVER BULLET – Undercover Anarchist  (video)
(30) | TRANSVISION VAMP – (I Just Wanna) B With U  (video)
(28) | PETE WYLIE & THE FARM – Sinful  (video)

Blink and you'll miss 'em! That Transvision Vamp clip was practically subliminal. Still, everyone deserves their 15 seconds of fame.

(22) | ZUCCHERO & PAUL YOUNG – Sensa Una Donna (Without A Woman)   

Bizarre. Zucc's contributions are little more than a collection of grunts and ramblings. Does he always sing like that? I feel like there's a huge Zucchero-sized hole in my musical knowledge. Anyway, lovely to see a symbol of English and Italian unity, hope they play this after the game at Wembley tonight.

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 11, 2021, 10:28:06 AM
Zucc's contributions are little more than a collection of grunts and ramblings. Does he always sing like that?

Probably feeling a bit off due to having to do his own cookin' - the poor lamb!

non capisco

Why does he always cum in his pants after singing "Sensa una donna"? Typical crude, immature Leigh Francis character.

Chicory

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 11, 2021, 10:28:06 AM
Ah man, can you imagine what it would have been like at a 'Chanics concert when they let rip with this monster? Fists pumping, arms waving, everyone jumping, wow it must have been absolutely mental

Still haven't earned those 'na na na's though.

Icehaven

That Mike and the Mechanics song is basically a conspiracy theorist anthem isn't it? "Don't believe what they're telling you, they're trying to keep you down, listen to the rumours, change is coming" etc. Na na na na.

Icehaven

Quote from: daf on July 11, 2021, 11:34:31 AM
Probably feeling a bit off due to having to do his own cookin' - the poor lamb!

I'm sure there's a bit in the video when he sings that line and it shows him dropping or burning something in a kitchen to show that he's not really managing without his woman at all. I can't bring myself to watch it though.

Quote from: icehaven on July 11, 2021, 06:50:44 PM
That Mike and the Mechanics song is basically a conspiracy theorist anthem isn't it? "Don't believe what they're telling you, they're trying to keep you down, listen to the rumours, change is coming" etc. Na na na na.

Amazing vocals though from Paul "Not that one" Young.

Icehaven

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 11, 2021, 07:29:01 PM
Amazing vocals though from Paul "Not that one" Young.

His voice sounds like chalk.

It also has the world's least inspired bassline. The same note in an unchanging plodding quarter-note rhythm for three minutes.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Darles Chickens on July 12, 2021, 10:43:20 AM
It also has the world's least inspired bassline. The same note in an unchanging plodding quarter-note rhythm for three minutes.
'Waterfront' by Simple Minds also has a single-note bassline. Urgh.

Funny to watch Paul Carrack miming on bass and moving his hands occasionally to make it look like he's changing it up a little.

buzby

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2021, 04:12:49 PM
There's a track that's just popped up on YT called Bad Natured that sounds like the original of Human Nature. It's got the original Billy Graham samples Buzby mentioned. This is it:
https://youtu.be/P4B4zBO7L_U
That was a slighly edited version of the original Human Nature Oakenfold & Osborne remix promo with the Billy Graham samples that I posted earlier. It was edited and retitled for inclusion as a bonus track on the Japanese CD release of Clail's End Of The Century Party album in 2004.

Quote from: icehaven on July 10, 2021, 10:07:46 PM
Perfecto remix of Human Nature, has an extra bit and is longer.
https://youtu.be/Dba5tOAiPAs
That's the final release 12" version (after the BIlly Graham bits were redone by Clail) of the Human Nature Oakenfold & Osborne remix that the 7" single was edited down from (hence the extra bits).

According to the Unnofficial On-U-Sound Archive fansite, the original Adrian Sherwood version of the track does exist, but has never been released.

The main riff (which was reused for the SnubTV theme) was a guitar chord played by Skip McDonald that was sampled by Sherwood, and turned into a riff by producer/keyboard player David Harrow (for which he got a co-writer's credit), who at the time had been signed to the On-U Sound label. He had previously worked with Psychic TV and was Anne Clark's main musical collaborator.

non capisco

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on July 10, 2021, 11:50:10 PM
18 April 1991: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

( 2 ) | JAMES – Sit Down      

I fucking hate James.

By this stage I'd fucking hated James for nearly six years - because in 1985 they'd played at my school. I didn't know I hated them then, but I didn't go to the gig just in case. Everything since then has vindicated that decision.

Here's the programme from the gig, in case you're interested in September 1985 indie culture: https://peevedrecords.co.uk/pdf/when_things_were_perfect_booklet.pdf

Perhaps you want, like me, to send a pound to Claire Heywarde in Ramsey in the hope she sends you a Red Over White demo tape...

DrGreggles

I quite like James.
Sit Down not so much.

Sebastian Cobb

That Mike and the Mechanics song is so bad.

Do like the Monie Love track. Move Dammit.

matjam13

BBC Four will skip 30/5/91 due to licencing issues with The Doors.

Chicory

I'm sick of these dead bastard Jims rocking up and spoiling everything.  How much work does it actually involve to just snip the music out any way?

non capisco

Yeah, they've definitely snipped out single songs/performances before. Is Bruno Brookes dressed up as Jim Morrison or something?

bigfatheart

That also means we've seen the last of Anthea Turner on the BBC4 repeats - 30/5/91 is her last episode, with the one repeated on Friday being the penultimate one.

*Cuts out a line for my fallen homie*

gilbertharding

I presume they mean the Oliver Stone film The Doors, rather than whatever Doors song is actually in the charts that week.

Remember when that hit from Grease was number one a few years back, and they showed the Legs and Co performance every week, rather than the footage from the film which actually went out in 1978?

gilbertharding

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 14, 2021, 05:40:24 PM
That also means we've seen the last of Anthea Turner on the BBC4 repeats - 30/5/91 is her last episode, with the one repeated on Friday being the penultimate one.

*Cuts out a line for my fallen homie*

Oh no! I'd kind of softened towards her UNBEILIEVABLE ENTHUSIASM LEVELS. *sniff*

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on July 14, 2021, 05:34:02 PM
Yeah, they've definitely snipped out single songs/performances before. Is Bruno Brookes dressed up as Jim Morrison or something?

I wonder if they just can't be arsed finding anything to pad it out with?

matjam13

Quote from: non capisco on July 14, 2021, 05:34:02 PM
Because Light My Fire is the playout song of that edition.

matjam13

And it's more likely now that these two episodes of Top Of The Pops won't be shown if BBC Four get to 1994:

10-11-94:   Presenter:  Bruno Brookes

(7) (M.C. SAR &) THE REAL McCOY – Another Night
(14) THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – One Last Love Song
(12) WARREN G – This D.J.  (via satellite)  (and charts)
(24) THE SAW DOCTORS – Small Bit Of Love
(NEW) JIMMY NAIL – Crocodile Shoes
(ALBUM TRACK) NIRVANA – About A Girl  (video)
(21) DONNA SUMMER – Melody Of Love (Wanna Be Loved)
(NEW) M-PEOPLE – Sight For Sore Eyes
(1) PATO BANTON – Baby Come Back  (video)
(TOTP2) GARY GLITTER – I Love You Love Me Love  (clip of TOTP 15-11-73)  (and credits)

15-12-94:   Presenter:  Damon Albarn

(11) REDNEX – Cotton Eye Joe
(26) MICHELLE GAYLE – I'll Find You
(3) MIGHTY MOPRH'N POWER RANGERS – Power Rangers  (video)  (and charts)
(22) M-BEAT feat. NAZLYN – Sweet Love
(8) CELINE DION – Think Twice  (video)
(ALBUM TRACK) STING – If You Love Somebody Set Them Free
(7) BON JOVI – Please Come Home For Christmas  (video)
(NEW) OASIS – Whatever
(1) EAST 17 – Stay Another Day
(TOTP2) GARY GLITTER – Another Rock And Roll Christmas  (clip of TOTP 13-12-84)  (and credits)

daf

Quote from: matjam13 on July 14, 2021, 06:09:00 PM
Because Light My Fire is the playout song of that edition.

You're only supposed to cut the bloody Doors off!!

Sebastian Cobb

daf

He presents 5 editions this year  - the last one will be on 22 August 1991.

He's then gone in the 'great purge' - along with the rest of the radio 1 DJ's - until 1994, when he's exhumed for a further 8 editions, and does two more in 1995 - the final one on 6 April 1995.