Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:38:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matjam13

If BBC Four get to 2002, these episodes would be affected by licencing issues with The Doors as covers are also affected.

10-5-2002:   Presenter:  Lisa Snowdon

(3) SUGABABES – Freak Like Me
(6) SHAKEDOWN – At Night
(11) MOBY – We Are All Made Of Stars
(NEW) WILL YOUNG – Light My Fire
(5) TWEET – Oops (Oh My)
(15) 4 STRINGS – Take Me Away Into The Night
(9) MARY J. BLIGE – No More Drama
(1) HOLLY VALANCE – Kiss Kiss  (and credits)

7-6-2002:   Presenter:  Jamie Theakston

(9) HOLLY VALANCE – Kiss Kiss  ®
(25) BELL & SPURLING – Goldenballs (Mr. Beckham To You)
(NEW) DAVID BOWIE – Slow Burn
(5) RONAN KEATING – If Tomorrow Never Comes  ®
(NEW) OASIS – Stop Crying Your Heart Out
(16) BUSTA RHYMES – Pass The Courvoisier Part II
(15) THE SEX PISTOLS – God Save The Queen  (video)
(1) WILL YOUNG – Light My Fire  (and credits)

DrGreggles

Quote from: matjam13 on July 14, 2021, 04:27:13 PM
BBC Four will skip 30/5/91 due to licencing issues with The Doors.

Were they the doors Mike Smith walked through?

Norton Canes

BBC Four will skip 30/5/91 due to licencing issues with The Doors

Oh GTF... PWEI and Siouxsie in the studio, Kraftwerk on video. Just cut the ending.

Norton Canes

Still, could be worse - the one after that is a very special episode

Norton Canes

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteIf BBC Four get to 2002, these episodes would be affected by licencing issues with The Doors as covers are also affected.

And nothing of value was lost that day.

buzby

BBC Four will skip 30/5/91 due to licencing issues with The Doors.
The Doors, Neil Young, Bonnie Raitt and Journey are all represented for publishing by Wixen Music, which withdrew from the MCPS and so is not covered by the BBC's blanket needle time agreement. Wixen set up Sharandall Music to to licence these artists' songs. The issue was solved for radio playout with a separate agreement in 2015, but not for TV.

Starlit

Quote from: buzby on July 15, 2021, 11:59:51 AM
The Doors, Neil Young, Bonnie Raitt and Journey are all represented for publishing by Wixen Music, which withdrew from the MCPS and so is not covered by the BBC's blanket needle time agreement. Wixen set up Sharandall Music to to licence these artists' songs. The issue was solved for radio playout with a separate agreement in 2015, but not for TV.

I didn't know that.
What benefit is there to an artist making it harder / less likely for TV stations (and initially radio stations too) to play their songs and give them some playback royalties as well as possibly driving listeners to buy a CD?

Pauline Walnuts

Short term greed combined with stupid?

Have you ever seen that film where Neil Young goes into a record shop and goes off on one when he sees a bootleg of a gig of his?

kalowski

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on July 15, 2021, 07:13:08 PM
Short term greed combined with stupid?

Have you ever seen that film where Neil Young goes into a record shop and goes off on one when he sees a bootleg of a gig of his?
No. But it would very much like to, if anyone happens to have an illegal copy.

SullySullivan85

30.5.91 is available somewhere, and we all know where, but I'm not allowed to say where. 

non capisco

Quote from: SullySullivan85 on July 15, 2021, 10:10:44 PM
30.5.91 is available somewhere, and we all know where, but I'm not allowed to say where.

Ah, yes. CRISIS AVERTED!!

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: kalowski on July 15, 2021, 09:54:26 PM
No. But it would very much like to, if anyone happens to have an illegal copy.

https://www.savethevinyl.org/neil-young-goes-record-shopping-and-finds-neil-young-bootlegs-records.html

Also, give it 5/10 years Neil Young and David Cosby will be whinging that they were robbed and their music was stolen from them when they sold their rights to hipgnosis for a fortune. "I knew I was getting some money, but I've done the math and I could have made half a million more if I'd kept the rights."

If they're still alive that is.

Sebastian Cobb

How's Young's special toblerone shaped music player getting on?

Icehaven

Spoiler alert
Vic Reeves
[close]
tonight! (Spoilered for anyone else like me who likes not knowing who's on in advance. I only saw when I was checking what time it's on.)

Icehaven

Are the singer and drummer of EMF trying to get out of WW1 or something? They've got pants on their heads.

Icehaven

monkfromhavana

Is "There's No Other Way" considered to be a 'Baggy' track?

monkfromhavana

Yes, "Quadrophonia"!

"Woo, woo, woo, huh! Woo, woo, woo, YEAH!"

monkfromhavana

I think that that KLF performance is up there with Steve Walsh - 'I Found Lovin'' as my favourite TOTP performance.

monkfromhavana

"Every day is a compromise for a grain of coal"?

Icehaven

I'm really convinced Samantha Janus was massively concerned about global poverty.

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 16, 2021, 08:37:20 PM
I think that that KLF performance is up there with Steve Walsh - 'I Found Lovin'' as my favourite TOTP performance.

It was amazing, particularly loved how the camera cut to whoever was "singing" like clockwork, woo woo.

monkfromhavana

"Love should be two words like sunshine"

YOU WOT LOVE?

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on July 16, 2021, 05:12:29 PM
Spoiler alert
Vic Reeves
[close]
tonight! (Spoilered for anyone else like me who likes not knowing who's on in advance. I only saw when I was checking what time it's on.)
Was cut very short, hmmf. God I'd forgotten how in love with him I was around that time, I used to play that song 5 times in a row on the way to school, my Mum thought I was having a breakdown.

Sebastian Cobb

The synth riff on that is the same as/nicked from Strawberry Letter 23.

buzby

Quote from: monkfromhavana on July 16, 2021, 08:22:01 PM
Is "There's No Other Way" considered to be a 'Baggy' track?
Very much so. It's basically jumping on The Stone Roses bandwagon, with Rountrree trying to be Reni, James, trying to be Mani and Coxon doing a sixties pastiche like Squire. At least Albarn has a better voice than Brown. In an October 1991 interview with Select, Albarn stated that Leisure was the album that 'killed Baggy'.

Sebastian Cobb

Sebastian Cobb

Never knew Sam Janus was a singer either.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: buzby on July 16, 2021, 09:11:52 PM
Very much so. It's basically jumping on The Stone Roses bandwagon, with Rountrree trying to be Reni, James, trying to be Mani and Coxon doing a sixties pastiche like Squire. At least Albarn has a better voice than Brown. In an October 1991 interview with Select, Albarn stated that Leisure was the album that 'killed Baggy'.

Doing a cover song inspired by See Emily Play.