Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 03:49:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Yes wonder what possessed them to sing live. Was TOTP starting to insist a certain %age were live or something?

Camp Tramp

Have they discontinued their live singing policy now, or are NKOTB an exception?

Mr Banlon

When NKotB came on, my missus asked which one was now married to Jenny Eclair.

Icehaven

Danii Minogue about one arm movement away from a wardrobe malfunction there.

Icehaven

Fucking hell, 5 seconds of Flowered Up!

monkfromhavana

That 2nd episode has got to be up there in the total dogshit category.

Quote from: daf on July 23, 2021, 07:38:49 PM
No, nothing like that - he was a bit careless with his language & got Cor-binned :

He did apologise, so they might just about get away with it - after all, Hitler's still on the Yesterday channel, and he was arguably even more anti-Semitic than Yates!

Oh, oh, oh Reggie
Let me call you by your first name
Oh, oh, oh Reggie
Should I hold myself to blame?
(Don′t blame yourself)

Oh, oh, oh Reggie
Why did you go away?
Oh, oh, Reggie
Why did you leave this way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L17q1VMHz8E&ab_channel=mwfunnybonez

[Note: I think Stephenson is singing this live in the studio, not miming].

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 23, 2021, 12:58:11 PM
Little tidbit of info from the TV Cream mailout this week - the pulled 31/05 episode actually marks the halfway point of the show's entire run.

30/05 (to be pedantic)

daf

Quote from: icehaven on July 23, 2021, 08:44:44 PM
Danii Minogue about one arm movement away from a wardrobe malfunction there.

There was a rumour that she'd popped out of her boob tube in one of her earlier performances, and her manager had the doors locked and insisted that the tape was junked.

Amazingly, this story was confirmed by our inside source as
Spoiler alert
total bollocks
[close]

Pauline Walnuts

bigfatheart

Blimey, that was a sexy episode, between Cathy Dennis, Dannii Minogue and the sheer raw fuckosity of Color Me Badd. Thank God Bruno Brookes was there in his Castrol jacket to administer a metaphorical cold shower every few minutes.

Chicory

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 23, 2021, 10:21:20 PM
Blimey, that was a sexy episode, between Cathy Dennis, Dannii Minogue and the sheer raw fuckosity of Color Me Badd. Thank God Bruno Brookes was there in his Castrol jacket to administer a metaphorical cold shower every few minutes.

The exact inner dialogue of every straight dad circa May 1991.

daf

Chicory

Really not a fan of that 'Get The Message' remix.  Cuts out that gorgeous insistent acoustic Marr riff that carries the whole song.  Can't be too many examples of that, a band 'doing a remix' on their second appearance.

I think I've posted it here before, but the b-side of Get The Message - Free Will is a Perfect Kiss inspired instrumental club banger.

Icehaven

Quote from: Chicory on July 24, 2021, 10:55:46 AM
Really not a fan of that 'Get The Message' remix.  Cuts out that gorgeous insistent acoustic Marr riff that carries the whole song.  Can't be too many examples of that, a band 'doing a remix' on their second appearance.

Yeah I thought they'd put the wrong recording on or something.

daf

16 May 1991: Presenter: Bruno Brookes

(20) | NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – Call It What You Want
(10) | SOFT CELL – Tainted Love '91  (video)
( 5 ) | CATHY DENNIS – Touch Me (All Night Long)
(21) | DANNII MINOGUE – Success

- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(35) | REM – Shiny Happy People  (video)
(34) | FLOWERED UP – Take It  (video)
(31) | T'PAU – Whenever You Need Me  (video)
(29) | WILSON PHILLIPS – You're In Love  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
( 3 ) | CRYSTAL WATERS – Gypsy Woman
(26) | AMY GRANT – Baby Baby  (video)
(25) | JASON DONOVAN – R.S.V.P.
( 1 ) | CHER – The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)  (video)
(27) | COLOR ME BADD – I Wanna Sex You Up (video and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Norton Canes

"Unfortunately, they hadn't counted on being brutally shortchanged in the ideas department"

Ha, that's the best thing I've ever read about the Manics

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on July 24, 2021, 08:52:25 AM
9 May 1991: Presenter: Gary Davies

Quote from: daf on July 24, 2021, 09:52:35 PM
16 May 1991: Presenter: Bruno Brookes

Not really a lot to say about these two meh-tastic episodes. After I mentioned last week that 'Get the Message' was a bit dreary, Electronic dredge up an even duller version. Beverly Craven becomes possibly the mumsiest performer to ever appear on the show. New Kids, what can you say, just hilarious. Hope Dannii Minogue's daring reveal was a deliberate f-you to her body shamers.

Crystal Waters was pretty much the best thing over the two shows. She pulls some interesting moves.

TBH I'm still inordinately preoccupied with the decision not to run the 30/05 episode. I get they can't just cut the Doors vid out, because it plays over the credits. So what about this - blank out the video and cut the sound, so the credits run silently over a black background... possibly overlaid with a still of a shattered Top of the Pops badge? 

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on July 25, 2021, 02:56:46 PM
So what about this - blank out the video and cut the sound, so the credits run silently over a black background... possibly overlaid with a still of a shattered Top of the Pops badge?

There should have been another way! ;D

non capisco

Quote from: Camp Tramp on July 23, 2021, 08:41:39 PM
Have they discontinued their live singing policy now, or are NKOTB an exception?

Come the September 1991 relaunch if memory serves they insisted on all live vocals. There'll probably be a few more "oh dear" performances coming up later in the year.

Norton Canes

The September 1991 relaunch - or, as it's more commonly known... THE APOPSACLYPSE

non capisco

Not long now. Better start getting used to Tony Dortie saying "yo", TOTP repeats thread crew.

gilbertharding

Quote from: bigfatheart on July 23, 2021, 10:21:20 PM

I can still remember, vividly, watching that Dannii Minogue performance as a 21 year old. I wonder why.

SullySullivan85

Bruno Brookes saying "Touch Me (All Night Long)" and "I Wanna Sex You Up" with _that_ enunciation gave me Norovirus.

SullySullivan85

You don't wanna know what I contracted after seeing that bit in the Amy Grant video though.  Love Baby Baby, it's the Call Me Maybe of the 90s but one re-enactment of the Lady and the Tramp spaghetti scene was enough when I saw it with an overamorous couple in the Clitheroe Grammar Sixth Form canteen.