Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

On a quick 'Sailing on the Seven Seas' tip, before it sails out of the top ten - I was tempted the other day, as I guess were many others at the time of its release, to listen to the 12", so I could enjoy more of those lovely Glitter beat drums (can we still call them that?). Unlike then it didn't necessitate a trip to HMV and after a couple of YouTube clicks I was listening to the Extended Mix.

What were they thinking?

I'm all for radical reinterpretations of songs on 12" issues, but come on... your basic extended mix, especially with electronic bands, all we want is the song with a few minutes of instrumental breakdown at the start, at the end or in the middle eight. Save the weird stuff for the limited 12's huh.

(Also - anyone else getting a 'Whole Again' vibe from the chorus?)

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on July 24, 2021, 11:15:28 AM
I think I've posted it here before, but the b-side of Get The Message - Free Will is a Perfect Kiss inspired instrumental club banger.
It took more inspiration from Technique offcut MTO than TPK, I'd say. They also put the italo-piano instrumental Lucky Bag on the B-side of Get The Message.

Icehaven

God I forgot Color Me Badd got to number one. It wasn't good for 12 year old me to be presented with those men as being the height of male attractiveness, I thought I was giving up before I'd even started.

daf

How good was that Kirsty MacColl song - Thank god that wasn't hit by The Doors ban!

Icehaven

Quote from: daf on July 30, 2021, 09:43:46 PM
How good was that Kirsty MacColl song - Thank god that wasn't hit by The Doors ban!

Definitely. The whole album it's from, Electric Landlady, was great. Halloween was a particular favourite.

Jackson K Pollock

Halfway through the second episode at the moment, but does anyone know what the deal was with Mark Goodier's green screen links? Were they just experimenting with new tech or was there some sort of problem with the studio audience or something?

Norton Canes

It's the beginning of the aPOPSaclypse

THE END IS NIGH

No honestly get used to it, apparently they stick with it until the BIG revamp in a few weeks

Icehaven

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on July 30, 2021, 10:35:36 PM
Halfway through the second episode at the moment, but does anyone know what the deal was with Mark Goodier's green screen links? Were they just experimenting with new tech or was there some sort of problem with the studio audience or something?

Yes I thought that too, not noticed that before. It looks really weird, did Savile sneak onto the set or something?

non capisco

The green screen thing really looked like a weird visual hark back to the few surviving 1970 episodes where Savile or Tony Blackburn would appear out of the ether in a similar fashion.

Having watched all three this evening the skipped Anthea episode was cruelly the best of the bunch by far. Kylie in the studio doing 'Shocked' and everything! That first Gary Davies presented one was atrocious. When your most visually exciting act in 1991 are T'Pau you are in deep shit. We are all Peter Buck's face in the Shiny Happy People video.

Mark Goodier hitting new depths of inanity introducing Living Colour on the breakers. "These guys love playing live."

Mr Banlon

I did not know Pauly Shore was in Color Me Badd

non capisco

Quote from: Mr Banlon on July 31, 2021, 02:15:11 AM
I did not know Pauly Shore was in Color Me Badd

I didn't know a young Larry from the Three Stooges was in Color Me Badd.

In at #41, some generic baggy several months behind the pace.

is that #41 and #42 in the same episode. Slow week.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on July 31, 2021, 09:43:27 AM
23 May 1991: Presenter: Gary Davies

Terrible episode, the only fun I had was trying to work out if that Birmingham Cathedral behind the Wonder Stuff, I rewound and found Ooh Gary Davis saying it was, well, Birmingham Town Hall, but you can't have everything.

Both of those last two episodes felt like they were from 1987, and I can't think of anything worse than that.

daf

30 May 1991: Presenter: Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner (last show)

(12) | TECHNOTRONIC feat. REGGIE – Move That Body 
(21) | M.C. HAMMER – Yo! Sweetness  (video)
(25) | POP WILL EAT ITSELF – 92 Degrees
(28) | SONIA – Only Fools (Never Fall In Love)
(27) | KRAFTWERK – The Robots  (video)
(32) | SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – Kiss Them For Me
( 5 ) | AMY GRANT – Baby Baby
(10) | KYLIE MINOGUE – Shocked

( 1 ) | CHER – The Shoop Shoop Song (It's In His Kiss)  (video)
(29) | THE DOORS – Light My Fire (video and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Youtube link Wetransfer download

Pauline Walnuts

It was really easy to cut out Fat Jim and the Boyz, wonder why they didn't even try?

Norton Canes

No budget for episode editing, and anyway it played over the credits, which made it extra difficult.

That Siouxsie and the Banshees song is nice.

John Lennon kissed them for Mansfield in 1964, although she seems to have pursued him not vice versa. The OMD mix above seems to have a hint of 'The Power' by Snap!

daf

6 June 1991: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(41) | NORTHSIDE – Take 5
(17) | PET SHOP BOYS – Jealousy  (video)
(42) | MARILLION – Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven)
(25) | SALT-N-PEPA – Do You Want Me  (video)
(12) | MADONNA – Holiday
(22) | KENNY THOMAS – Thinking About Your Love
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(40) | LIVING COLOUR – Solace Of You  (video)
(38) | GLORIA ESTEFAN – Remember Me With Love  (video)
(35) | HARRY CONNICK JNR – It Had To Be You  (video)
(34) | DIVINYLS – I Touch Myself  (video)

(30) | KIRSTY MacCOLL – Walking Down Madison
( 1 ) | COLOR ME BADD – I Wanna Sex You Up  (video)
( 8 ) | REM – Shiny Happy People (video and credits)

Jockice

Quote from: daf on July 30, 2021, 09:43:46 PM

Great song. And one of those that brings back a very specific memory. I hadn't heard it for many a year until a 90s radio station played it a few months ago and I was immediately transported back to *******'s room in the house owned by that strange feminist woman on ********* Road. Which was a bit disconcerting since I was actually in the car just about to cross the roundabout to get onto the A61.

Quote from: Jockice on August 01, 2021, 11:46:09 AM
Great song

The guy rapping is Aniff from Chapter And The Verse, he also co-produced AGCG - Voodoo Ray and UCC - The Key, The Secret.

Norton Canes

Nice work on the extra listing for the 30/05 show, daf.

Quote from: daf on July 31, 2021, 09:43:27 AM
23 May 1991: Presenter: Gary Davies

( 3 ) | BEVERLEY CRAVEN – Promise Me

Looks like a different background to the last time she appeared.

Yeah - it's definitely Craven's new surround

(13) | REM – Shiny Happy People (video)

But is it a happy song? Is it really a happy song? Is it? WELL IS IT? IS IT REALLY HAPPY?
Spoiler alert
    Yes   
[close]
Spoiler alert
Or is it?
[close]

(23) | DEACON BLUE – Your Swaying Arms

"Ricky! Ricky! We're on in five minutes! Wake up, ya numpty! Ricky! Fer fucks sake Lorraine I cannae wake Ricky up"

"Ricky! It's Lorraine, ya wee shite! Wake yersel' up an' get on the stage! [shakes Ricky] Ah it's nae good, gimme that glass o' water..." [she throws a pint of water over Ricky]

"Urrr, wassafuggenmadda..."

[The band pick Ricky up by the shoulders and haul him to the stage]

&tc.

Quote from: daf on July 31, 2021, 12:08:33 PM
30 May 1991: Presenter: Anthea 'Cocaine' Turner (last show)

(12) | TECHNOTRONIC feat. REGGIE – Move That Body 

This is for sure a fantastic episode but the rest of it is going to have to go some to beat that ride 'em moment.

(25) | POP WILL EAT ITSELF – 92 Degrees

One of their best songs, but this chart-friendly mix isn't the best version. On the Cure for Sanity... LP they go with vocals from Sylvia 'No, it's not Bonnie Tyler' Tella, but the best take is the raw-sounding original on the Very Metal Noise Pollution EP, where Tella and Clint Mansell share vocal duties.

And ooh what about this, the LP version samples 'Like an Animal' by The Glove, the collaboration between Robert Smith and Siouxsie and the Banshees' Steven Severin, who are also on this show... and also recorded a song called called 92 Degrees...

(32) | SIOUXSIE & THE BANSHEES – Kiss Them For Me

Immaculate, isn't it. I love that, as A Hat Like That pointed out upthread, baggy is already past its sell by date but bands like Blur and Siouxsie here are integrating it into better songs in brilliant new ways.

(10) | KYLIE MINOGUE – Shocked

And this really is the last time we'll see a Stock, Aitken and Waterman produced song in the top 10.

(29) | THE DOORS – Light My Fire (video and credits)

Fuck off.

Quote from: daf on August 01, 2021, 10:43:22 AM
6 June 1991: Presenter: Mark Goodier

Anyway... Let's put the disappointment of the pulled show behind us because, as I alluded upthread the other week, this is a very special episode. Why? Because it's the 'getting together' show of me and the lovely Mrs Canes! Yes! Between the last show and this we got chatting at the college Going Down ball (I know), I was entranced by her personality shiny hot pants (like the ones sported by the Technotronic woman in the previous show) (no, she didn't ride me around like a donkey) and before we knew it, we'd become 'an item'. Bleeeeeuurgh!!, as Smash Hits would say.

I wonder, do any of the songs played this week bear any relevance to the occasion? Let's look!

PET SHOP BOYS – Jealousy: Well everyone else was certainly green with envy when they saw who I'd bagged
SALT-N-PEPA – Do You Want Me: I can tell you she certainly did!
KENNY THOMAS – Thinking About Your Love: I didn't have to think about it any more
Solace Of You, Remember Me With Love, It Had To Be You... I mean they just couldn't be any more appropriate
DIVINYLS – I Touch Myself: Er! There was no need to do that again!

And of course, there couldn't be a more fitting number one

COLOR ME BADD – I Wanna Sex You Up: [COMMENT REDACTED]

Okay enough

(41) | NORTHSIDE – Take 5

Quote from: A Hat Like That on July 31, 2021, 09:20:54 AMis that #41 and #42 in the same episode. Slow week

TV Cream indeed assures us that the presence of bands from outside the top 40 this week was down to unavailability of other suitable acts, rather than a change in policy.

(30) | KIRSTY MacCOLL – Walking Down Madison

A glorious performance that's almost unbearable to watch, given what happened nine years later. What was that I was saying about baggy beats making great songs even better? I know this era takes a bit of flak for shoving dancers up on stage but when it works as well as this, it's superb. And bless Rowland Rivron titting about on his bongos, waiting for a close-up that never quite comes.

In fact there's only one way this song could be made any better and that's the addition of an 'ah yeah!' in the beat between "Would you like to see some more?" and "I can show you if you'd like to"

( 8 ) | REM – Shiny Happy People (video and credits)

Shiny golden hot pants dancing!

daf

Quote from: Norton Canes on August 01, 2021, 03:24:47 PM
Nice work on the extra listing for the 30/05 show, daf.

Ta!

I was pleased to find the version in the wetransfer link - very good quality, and, comparing it with the Youtube off-air, has an extra half a minute at the end that never got shown on TV.

gilbertharding

This has probably been answered before - but when I goofle 'why can't I hear the Doors on BBC?' I find two links:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/dont-play-neil-young-or-the-doors-bbc-tells-djs-and-programme-makers

from early July 2015 explaining the problem and

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/27/the-doors-and-neil-young-cleared-to-be-played-on-bbc-radio

from later the same month saying it's all OK again.

So have they fallen out again? Bloody hippies...

matjam13

Quote from: gilbertharding on August 02, 2021, 09:56:42 AM
This has probably been answered before - but when I goofle 'why can't I hear the Doors on BBC?' I find two links:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/dont-play-neil-young-or-the-doors-bbc-tells-djs-and-programme-makers

from early July 2015 explaining the problem and

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/27/the-doors-and-neil-young-cleared-to-be-played-on-bbc-radio

from later the same month saying it's all OK again.

So have they fallen out again? Bloody hippies...
Note this from the second article:

"However the rights are not available for television or other audio visual use via the BBC's collective licensing arrangements with MCPS."

gilbertharding