Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 08:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: gilbertharding on September 20, 2021, 10:01:26 AM
Mr C will be along shortly to repeatedly bellow something inane about "Banging to the beat of the drum, COME ON!"

https://youtu.be/I41RF3Pb0JY

gilbertharding

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 20, 2021, 11:27:00 AM

What drives [soap actors and their agents] to think "Oh I'll have a crack at this music business lark" then come out with such a crock of hackneyed old toot?

In 1991? Two words: Kylie Minogue.

kalowski

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 20, 2021, 11:27:00 AM
From the bits I've just read I don't think he was ever convicted. Er... yeah. Not much you can say after that is there.

Wikipedia suggests quite a draconian outcome
QuoteFollowing their appearance on Hit Me, Baby, One More Time, Minutemix was terminated for sexual misconduct.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: kaprisky on September 17, 2021, 10:41:53 PM
I'd forgotten that Diane Butcher had made a bid for pop stardom. Now, if one of the Janines had made a record then that's all of the Butcher clan, with Mike Reid and Sid Owen also having chart success. An impressive feat.
Unbelievably I can't find a complete list of Eastenders' musical ambitions (even on the Eastenders wiki), but young Tiffany Butcher (Maisie Smith) made a none-too-successful attempt at a pop career a few years ago, continuing the family tradition. The best Janine (Charlie Brooks) did a fitness video which is like a pop single for people who can't even pretend to sing or dance. Apparently another Janine is "Head of Marketing and Communication Products for Google". It's a shame Brooks keeps returning to the role rather than letting everyone else have a turn.

daf

Not sure if this counts, but Pauline Fowler had a number one back in 1962 :

Mike Sarne with Wendy Richards - Come Outside

Quote"Come Outside" was written by Charles Blackwell. The track stayed at No.1 for a fortnight between 28 June and 5 July 1962. It knocked Elvis off the #1 spot and stayed in the charts for a respectable nineteen weeks. The song is a duet between Sarne and a then youthful Wendy Richards, who didn't sing but played the would-be girlfriend who Sarne kept asking her to come outside to see the lovely moon.

Wendy was employed as a secretary for producer Robert Stigwood at the time the song was being developed. From her desk, Wendy started lobbing sardonic comments in her native Cockney. Stigwood had the notion of including them on the record, making it a duet.

gilbertharding

Quote from: daf on September 21, 2021, 02:29:34 PM
Not sure if this counts, but Pauline Fowler had a number one back in 1962 :

Mike Sarne with Wendy Richards - Come Outside

No relation to Joy Sarney, of course.

non capisco

Representing for the Beales, there was the flop single 'Can't Get A Ticket (For The World Cup)' by Peter 'Pete Beale' Dean, as nominated by one of the guests on the Looks Unfamiliar podcast.

I thought there might have been one by Steve McFadden and Adam Woodyatt in character as Phil and Ian called something like 'Oh, He Always Flushes Me Head In The Toilet' but turns out that was just a dream I had.

And I don't think this one's canon.

non capisco

AOWWWW 'ANG ABAHT ME OLD CHINA

THEY ONLY GONE AND DAHN A WHOLE ALBUM.

Sadly predates the Mitchell Brothers era so no modified Sweet cover called 'Gutbuster'.

matjam13

The last two shows before Year Zero 19/9/91 and 26/9/91 are scheduled for Friday 8th October at 8pm.

Norton Canes

Ah that's interesting, I was wondering whether the aPOPSaclypse might happen between two shows on the same night. I might have a little farewell bash

Spoiler alert
If Dannii Minogue's on again
[close]

Spoiler alert
Sorry
[close]

Icehaven

Regarding EastEnders actors doing pop, Martine McCutcheon/Tiffany Mitchell probably is, well was, one of the most successful, although not for a few years yet in Pops time.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: non capisco on September 19, 2021, 12:44:29 AM
"Zippty doo and we're feeling high" is one of the lyrics in that song to be fair, much as I'd love to cancel Nicky Campbell.

He was almost doing his 'Urban' cool voice on the intro. Ledge.

daf

Captain Z

Haha good lord that Terminator song was appalling! I didn't think Mark Goodier had it in him but "A future number one" was surely high levels of sarcasm.

daf

With a due respect to Dave Bowie (from Dave Bowie and the Dave Bowie Band ft. Tin Machine) , those amputated metal guitars look ridiculous (and make my teeth itch!)

Icehaven

Quote from: A Hat Like That on September 24, 2021, 08:33:16 PM
marky mark and the funky bunch! live!

I know! I was thrilled, and not even offended that he didn't raise his hat brim one inch.

Quote from: non capisco on September 21, 2021, 03:32:36 PM
AOWWWW 'ANG ABAHT ME OLD CHINA

THEY ONLY GONE AND DAHN A WHOLE ALBUM.

Sadly predates the Mitchell Brothers era so no modified Sweet cover called 'Gutbuster'.

Some absolute gold-plated Up The Arse Corner work from Dr Legg on Lou Beale there.

non capisco

Quote from: Captain Z on September 24, 2021, 08:46:39 PM
Haha good lord that Terminator song was appalling! I didn't think Mark Goodier had it in him but "A future number one" was surely high levels of sarcasm.

From Prince into that dogshit. It makes Steve Wright's previous single I'm Alright sound like God Only Knows. Why did "Arnie" keep saying "arseholeyyy" as if that's something he's famous for saying?

David Bowie seems extremely easily amused if Reeves Gabrels playing his guitar with a chocolate eclair can make him crack up that much. It's a shame he never got to hear my impression of him singing Um Bongo Um Bongo, They Drink It In The Congo, he'd have been absolutely on the floor.

non capisco

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on September 24, 2021, 10:56:19 PM
Some absolute gold-plated Up The Arse Corner work from Dr Legg on Lou Beale there.

I like that they've made Ian Beale crouch down like the craven little goblin he is.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

The more you look at that album cover, the more it looks like they've superimposed most of the heads on. Also good for playing  the time honoured game " Dead? Or Just Not Worked For Fucking Ages? "  ( You may well be wrongfooted by Leonard Fenton and top Harry Dean Stanton lookalike June Brown, still with us in their 90s; Linda Davidson ( Mary The Punk) no longer does the acting).

I like that they've put the murderer next to the one who would go on to provide an alibi for another murderer. A real thoughtfulness in the composition there.

non capisco

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on September 24, 2021, 11:24:00 PM
I like that they've put the murderer next to the one who would go on to provide an alibi for another murderer. A real thoughtfulness in the composition there.

Lofty at the back on the left : is he belming?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Wacky Homemade Badges on September 24, 2021, 11:24:00 PM

Letitia Dean ( or that other actress, who actually *is* brown bread) provided an alibi for Leslie Grantham?

Pauline Walnuts

What the heck was the point of that Level 42 one? Who would buy that rather than just putting on one of their old singles on instead?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on September 25, 2021, 06:21:00 AM
Letitia Dean ( or that other actress, who actually *is* brown bread) provided an alibi for Leslie Grantham?

The other actress was convicted of perjury after providing a false alibi for a convicted double murderer. She said they had been having sex at the time - it was later suggested that he wasn't actually her boyfriend, but her heroin dealer. The two women he strangled, btw, he left the bodies strapped into the seats of a car parked up by the side of the road in North London early one morning. It's one of soap's more extraordinary off screen stories.

non capisco

The temptation for jury members to do the Eastenders duff duff noise during the trial must have been unbearable.