Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 12:00:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzby

Quote from: phantom_power on December 04, 2020, 10:32:38 AM
The Nick Kamen version of Looking Good Diving is on Spotify and it is pretty much identical to the original, even having the same squiggly noise that carried on to the Neneh Cherry version. Maybe a bit smoother
The original was produced by S/A/W. That rising arpeggio was redone on Buffalo Stance by Mark Saunders using the 'Sync Solo' factory patch on the Roland JX10 Super JX. The Nick Kamen version of the track was produced by Andy Richards, but Saunders was an additional producer on the album so I expect told him where they got the sound.

Quote from: buzby on December 04, 2020, 11:53:16 AM
The original was produced by S/A/W.

They got the full a-team turnout for LGD - Phil Harding, Mark MaGuire & Ian Curnow too.

Menu

buzby

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 04, 2020, 12:29:16 PM
They got the full a-team turnout for LGD - Phil Harding, Mark MaGuire & Ian Curnow too.
That's 'Mixmaster' Phil Harding, please! It was recorded around December 86/January 87 so it was before the 'dilution malaise' era set in at The Hit Factory. Here they all are in the studio, in fact (courtesy of Mike Stock's Facebook feed):

On a related note, in 1985 just before teaming up with Andy Bell, Vince Clarke recorded a one-off single with Postcard Records alumnus and former Bourgie Bourgie vocalist Paul Quinn called One Day, which was produced by Daniel Miller and Flood and released on Mute. Who were the co-writers alongside Clarke? None other than Morgan/McVey.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 04, 2020, 12:29:16 PMThey got the full a-team turnout for LGD - Phil Harding, Mark MaGuire & Ian Curnow too.
Presumably the same Ian Curnow who co-wrote 'The Last Time' on Talk Talk's second album - he's also credited with playing keyboards.

crankshaft

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 04, 2020, 02:16:37 PM
Presumably the same Ian Curnow who co-wrote 'The Last Time' on Talk Talk's second album - he's also credited with playing keyboards.

He toured as their keyboard player, too.

monkfromhavana

Looking forward to seeing Unique 3 on tonight, it's a double a-side so they'll probably go for the more hip-hop 'Musical Melody' rather than 'Weight For The Bass', which will be a shame (although 'MM' is pretty good too). Also the Tongue 'N' Cheek track that was sampled on a fair few hardcore tracks a bit later on.

ElTwopo

Nice of Pat Sharp to let his accountant join him on stage for this song

Icehaven

The singer of Jesus Jones looks rather a lot like Mr. Haven, just a bit younger and less beardy. He (Mr. H) isn't amused.

daf

Icehaven

Icehaven

Knew they'd cut November Spawned A Monster before the weird screaming!

monkfromhavana

"Killer" is great isn't it? Sadly it was all downhill for Adamski after this, the follow-up being the absolutely woeful 'The Space Jungle', a cover of 'All Shook Up' by Elvis Presley.

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 04, 2020, 09:00:17 PM
"Killer" is great isn't it?

It is! Just googled to see whatever happened to him and had a "f*** my hat" moment on learning he had nothing to do with Crazy. I really thought that was another collaboration between him and Seal. He seems to have had a fairly good career as a DJ/producer though so fair fucks.

daf

26 April 1990: Presenter: Bruno Brookes

(25) | PAT & MICK – Use It Up And Wear It Out
(30) | NATALIE COLE – Wild Women Do (video)
(29) | UNIQUE 3 – Musical Melody
( 3 ) | PAUL ABDUL – Opposites Attract (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(34) | ALL ABOUT EVE – Scarlet (video)
(35) | KID CREOLE & THE COCONUTS – The Sex Of It (video)
(38) | SINITTA – Hitchin' A Ride (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(20) | JESUS JONES – Real Real Real

(26) | PHIL COLLINS – Something Happened On The Way To Heaven (video)
(28) | TONGUE 'N' CHEEK – Tomorrow
( 1 ) | MADONNA – Vogue (video)
(33) | BRUCE DICKINSON – Tattooed Millionaire (video and credits)

'November Spawned A Monster' is a very dark record for TOTP and I'm not sure that Morrissey is expressing sympathy for the subject of disability in light of his subsequent politics. He could infact be saying that disabled children are incapable of receiving love, which is an extremely sick POV but not untypical of whom we now know Morrissey to be.

Gulftastic

Quote from: ElTwopo on December 04, 2020, 08:04:31 PM
Nice of Pat Sharp to let his accountant join him on stage for this song

It's the company Xmas do and the District Manager insisted it would be hilarious to go on stage with the entertainment.

Jockice

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 05, 2020, 12:39:24 AM
'November Spawned A Monster' is a very dark record for TOTP and I'm not sure that Morrissey is expressing sympathy for the subject of disability in light of his subsequent politics. He could infact be saying that disabled children are incapable of receiving love, which is an extremely sick POV but not untypical of whom we now know Morrissey to be.

Well I like it!

monkfromhavana

In a nice piece of luck, here's a 2.5 hour long interview with Adamski.
(from 1 hour 35 minutes for the Adamski/Seal stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shau-J3R9r4

non capisco

Seal had/has such a fantastic voice it's criminal he was never involved with another record as good as 'Killer'. Some of that first Trevor Horn album is alright I suppose but he didn't half jump on the bland-o train sharpish after his breakout stomper. I remember one of my mum's mates confidently saying the skin condition on his cheeks was "tribal scars". Bit racist but that's Kent for you.

Bruno Brookes' link out of Jesus Jones saying they have "a dry sense of humour" translated to me as that they mugged him off in a corridor at Radio 1 once. My main memory of Jesus Jones is that one of my best mates at school was a massive fan of them and in a moment of retrospectively sweet naievety came into school one morning and said "Did you hear Radio 1 last night? They had a live broadcast of Jesus Jones from the Town & Country Club. It was brilliant! They even got an encore!"

The Sex Of It by Kid Creole & The Coconuts is a record I completely forgot existed. You only have to hear five seconds of that before you accurately assume it's written and produced by Prince. He probably wazzed that one out on a lunchbreak but it's still great, better than a lot of what ended up on Graffiti Bridge to be honest.

I'm an arrhythmic embarrassment on a dance floor but Pat Sharp makes me look like Jeffrey Daniel from Shalamar. As capable of shaking his body down as the Angel of The North.

edon

Pretty thin gruel this week, despite one or two exceptions. Simon Price posted about these shows on Twitter laying into Bruno Brookes' back announcement of Tongue N Cheek as "real happening dance", but did also make a good point that Hold On by En Vogue pissed all over everything else. Shame that it was stuck in the breakers.

SAW's vocal pitch shifting machine must've properly been stretched for that third Pat & Mick cover. Barely even sounded like them. Would've been interesting to hear how they'd of got on in the no miming era of TOTP, which must be imminent with 1991 around the corner.

Quote from: non capisco on December 05, 2020, 06:10:10 PM
Some of that first Trevor Horn album is alright I suppose but he didn't half jump on the bland-o train sharpish after his breakout stomper.

I don't mind one or two of the songs off Seal's debut album (Crazy and The Beginning, I think), but other than that it's blandsville all the way. I guess there are much worse singers around than him though.

The Culture Bunker

My abiding memory of Mike Edwards and his mates comes from my first visit to America, when I was ten in 1991. The young lad who always seemed to be working the reception desk at our hotel said to us on arrival "from England? I love that band Jesus Jones!"

When we got to our room, my dad asked me "are they that Scottish band?" and I had no idea what he was on about.

daf

3 May 1990: Presenter: Simon Mayo

(26) | SINITTA – Hitchin' A Ride
( 8 ) | SOUL II SOUL – A Dream's A Dream (video)

(12) | MORRISSEY – November Spawned A Monster
( 5 ) | THE ADVENTURES OF STEVIE V – Dirty Cash (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(33) | EN VOGUE – Hold On (video)
(34) | BILLY IDOL – Cradle Of Love (video)
(38) | MICHAEL BOLTON – How Can We Be Lovers (video)
(28) | B.B.G. feat. DINA TAYLOR – Snappiness (Sweet Inspiration Edit)
(18) | BRUCE DICKINSON – Tattooed Millionaire (video)
( 4 ) | ADAMSKI – Killer
( 1 ) | MADONNA – Vogue (video)
(53) | EMMA – Give A Little Love Back To The World (video and credits)

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 05, 2020, 12:13:54 PM
In a nice piece of luck, here's a 2.5 hour long interview with Adamski.
(from 1 hour 35 minutes for the Adamski/Seal stuff)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shau-J3R9r4

Thanks for pointing that out MFH.

Jockice

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on December 05, 2020, 08:10:58 PM
My abiding memory of Mike Edwards and his mates comes from my first visit to America, when I was ten in 1991. The young lad who always seemed to be working the reception desk at our hotel said to us on arrival "from England? I love that band Jesus Jones!"

When we got to our room, my dad asked me "are they that Scottish band?" and I had no idea what he was on about.

Apparently Mike Edwards had a book in which he used to give people who interviewed him marks out of ten. And also apparently I scored fairly highly as I interviewed him about four times. Which is one more than the number of Jesus Jones songs I can remember.

Quote from: Jockice on December 06, 2020, 10:37:40 AM
I interviewed him about four times. Which is one more than the number of Jesus Jones songs I can remember.

1. International Bright Young Thing
2. The one Aphex Twin & Prodigy remixed
3. Ummm

daf

The Devil You Know - that was my favourite

Just listened to it again for the first time in around 25 years - still sounds ace!

Jockice

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 06, 2020, 11:04:51 AM
1. International Bright Young Thing
2. The one Aphex Twin & Prodigy remixed
3. Ummm

1 Info Freako.
2 IBYT.
3 Real Real Real.

And that's your lot.

daf

Quote from: Jockice on December 06, 2020, 11:26:54 AM
1 Info Freako.

Oh yes - I remember Andy Partridge liked that one on Roundtable (and also Cuddly Toy by Roachford)