Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 09:48:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Reading the Freakytrigger entry on World In Motion, I noticed that the estimable David Stubbs was not keen on the song, choosing instead to award the MM single of that week to Front Line Assembly's Mental Distortion.

Can't help think that "Mental, mental distortion! Agony! Agony persists!" would have made a fitting chorus for the England team's World Cup song.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 11, 2021, 11:30:19 AMCan't help think that "Mental, mental distortion! Agony! Agony persists!" would have made a fitting chorus for the England team's World Cup song.
Certainly for those opening group games vs Ireland, Egypt and the Dutch, which I remember as being all absolutely shite. I do suspect the warm memories English people have of Italia '90 start at the moment Gascoigne floated in that free kick in the last moments of the Belgium game - everything else in the prior games had been entirely forgettable.

(though I have a clear memory of Kevin Sheedy's equaliser vs England because the Irish family next door went crazy with joy)

Erm, on the topic of World in Motion - does Peter Hook actually play on it? Been a while since I listened to it, but I don't remember any of his usual basslines.

You can sort of hear some Hooky style high bass at 1:57ish
https://youtu.be/Re4aDJL3heA?t=117

Like most of the Republic album which followed, if there's any Hooky at all in there, it's buried so deep in the mix that you'd have to really be listening for it.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 11, 2021, 02:27:44 PM

Like most of the Republic album which followed, if there's any Hooky at all in there, it's buried so deep in the mix that you'd have to really be listening for it.
Good spot. I had previously thought if he was on it, it was backing vocals and maybe some percussion.

buzby

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 11, 2021, 01:50:38 PM
Erm, on the topic of World in Motion - does Peter Hook actually play on it? Been a while since I listened to it, but I don't remember any of his usual basslines.
Quote from: Darles Chickens on January 11, 2021, 02:27:44 PM

His bass can be heard all the way through the track (apart from the middle 16), it's just not front and centre. Given the fact that the music was a repurposed Other Two composition, the tense relations between the band members at the time and the rushed nature of the recording there wasn't time (or the desire) to change much of the existing composition to allow Hook to do his usual method of jamming a melodic bassline into space that had been left in the track.

Despite Hook's grist with Stephen Hague for 'mixing him out' on Republic, Hague was actually responsible for adding Hook's bass onto World In Motion, during the second recording session at The Mill when the players were recorded. The rough mix that was recorded at Real World (with Roli Mosimann of Swans as producer, released as The B Side) doesn't feature Hook at all.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: daf on January 08, 2021, 09:48:31 PM
7 June 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier

(32) | THE MISSION – Into The Blue (video)

I don't know what was worst, the song or the 'they can really play their instruments!' comment from Mark Goodier.

The song. It was like a U2 B side.

I'd imagine.

( 4 ) | DON PABLO'S ANIMALS– Venus

Approaching peak hoo-yeah there I think

The 'best' 1990 World Cup song is the Irish effort:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5PT65I2ny8

78 with a bullet.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on January 09, 2021, 12:02:39 AM
I have always wanted to hear the version of 'World in Motion' with Beardsley having a go at the rap section. I can imagine it being utterley incomprehensible.

I was nine years old that Summer, and have a very warm memory of being on a bus back from a school trip to Muncaster Castle, just after England beat Belgium or Cameroon, with us all singing the chorus, convinced England were going to win the World Cup. Ah, the naivety of youth. Funny to think back then it was 24 years since 1966, and it's over 30 years since Italia '90 now.

The version with the faked voices is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7N4mIa4NNHk at around 3:15

buzby's already corrected me on this once, so I'll stop there.

buzby

Quote from: Jockice on January 09, 2021, 09:05:17 PM
I loved it (and her) at the time but I find the 'fat and ugly thing' bit annoying nowadays. I also remember her saying something derogatory about Danny's looks when Hearsay released her Pure And Simple. It might be because I've been bullied at times because of my appearance but I find it a bit off-putting when someone good-looking (which is more or less down to luck) says/sings things like that.
It should be noted that if you look at the lyrics the 'fat and ugly thing' seems ot be aimed at a specific person, possibly her ex-She Rockers bandmate Donna McConnell and bitterness about their split (Clarkson wanted to make pop records, McConnell wanted to keep it street)
For far too long made mistakes and allowed
A fat and ugly thing get in my way
Now I'm suitable and I'm say
I'm no in-between top of the rank
Like Pearl and Dean and if you can't take the heat
Get out of the kitchen
Ain't got no time for your boo boo be doo

Norton Canes

Recorded after the event, but this is far and away the best World Cup '90 song: Macka B - Pam Pam Cameroun

edon

Starts at the earlier time of 7:10 tonight, although judging from the lineups of both episodes I'm giving this week a miss anyway

buzby

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 12, 2021, 02:09:06 PM
Recorded after the event, but this is far and away the best World Cup '90 song: Macka B - Pam Pam Cameroun
I've always thought the 'best of the rest' of the 1990 World Cup singles was Goal by Depth Charge:

Recorded in April 1990, it was released the same time as PWEI's effort (I remember them both being reviewed in Record Mirror the same week). Didn't even make the Top 100.

Quote from: buzby on January 15, 2021, 08:28:45 AM

Good choice, I think it's my favourite Depth Charge record - he was so good in this period.

phantom_power

It's good but it's no Shaolin Buddha Finger

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on January 09, 2021, 10:59:55 PM
It's atrocious. An entirely meritless record. Up the road, "Maureen"!

It's like a homeopathic version of the original.

daf

22 June 1990: Presenter: Jakki Brambles

(35) | MAGNUM – Rockin' Chair
( 4 ) | ROXETTE – It Must Have Been Love (video)
(19) | BIG FUN & SONIA– You've Got A Friend
( 8 ) | WILSON PHILLIPS – Hold On (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(29) | RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS – Taste The Pain (video)
(32) | BRUCE DICKINSON – All The Young Dudes (video)
(37) | DOGS D'AMOUR – Victims Of Success (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(30) | YAZZ – Treat Me Good
(20) | CRAIG McLACHLAN & CHECK 1-2 – Mona (video)
( 3 ) | LUCIANO PAVAROTTI – Nessun Dorma (video)
(12) | M.C. TUNES versus 808 STATE – The Only Rhyme That Bites (video)
( 1 ) | ELTON JOHN – Sacrifice

(25) | M.C. HAMMER – U Can't Touch This (video and credits)

Sebastian Cobb

Jakki seemed relatively pleased to be there for once, I'm almost disappointed I was looking forward to some grumpy perfunctory presentation.

DrGreggles

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 15, 2021, 11:39:00 PM
'kin 'ell...

Was the Infernal Machine out for servicing? it sounded like real vocals on there.

daf

28 June 1990: Presenter: Gary Davies (Live)

( 5 ) | SNAP – Oops Up

(21) | JASON DONOVAN – Another Night 
(17) | MAUREEN – Thinking Of You
(32) | DOUBLE TROUBLE – Love Don't Live Here Anymore (video)
(35) | GLENN MEDEIROS feat. BOBBY BROWN – She Ain't Worth It (video)
(39) | DEL AMITRI – Move Away Jimmy Blue (video)
(25) | BOB GELDOF – The Great Song Of Indifference
(23) | BRUCE DICKINSON – All The Young Dudes  (video)
( 8 ) | MAXI PRIEST – Close To You 
( 1 ) | ELTON JOHN – Sacrifice 
(24) | POISON – Unskinny Bop  (video and credits)

edon

Quote from: daf on January 16, 2021, 05:06:39 PM
(35) | GLENN MEDEIROS feat. BOBBY BROWN – She Ain't Worth It (video)

Poor old Glenn, torn to shreds on TV while witnessing it all

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 15, 2021, 11:38:12 PM
Jakki seemed relatively pleased to be there for once, I'm almost disappointed I was looking forward to some grumpy perfunctory presentation.

I really wish they'd stuck with the two presenters format a bit longer in this era so we could have had more withering Jakki action. Her alongside Nicky Campbell calling him a dickhead with her eyes. If she'd have had Bruno Brookes next to her throughout that episode and she was constantly throwing him looks like she wanted to kick him in the windpipe it would have improved things a thousandfold.

We've hit another period of complete paucity with the summer charts of 1990, haven't we? My only real takeaways from those two episodes is that I've decided I'd like to go for a pint with Turbo B from Snap! because I'm locked down on my own and he reminds me a bit of my mate Darren. And from that brief glimpse of an early hit in the Breakers that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers have always stunk to high heaven.

non capisco

Just had a sudden flashback to a 1990 playground bullshitter called Paul Phillips who claimed that although MC Hammer's hit single was clean cut and anodyne, its parent album 'Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em' was absolutely filthy and profane throughout. He was particularly excited about a song that he claimed was called "Yo Sweetness, Give Me A Fuck!". When this was easily disproved by people who bought the album the old classic "my older brother went to America and bought a rude version of the album that you can't get over here" line came out. Gotta love a playground bullshitter. We should have another one of those threads.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: non capisco on January 16, 2021, 06:08:54 PM
Just had a sudden flashback to a 1990 playground bullshitter called Paul Phillips who claimed that although MC Hammer's hit single was clean cut and anodyne, its parent album 'Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em' was absolutely filthy and profane throughout. He was particularly excited about a song that he claimed was called "Yo Sweetness, Give Me A Fuck!". When this was easily disproved by people who bought the album the old classic "my older brother went to America and bought a rude version of the album that you can't get over here" line came out. Gotta love a playground bullshitter. We should have another one of those threads.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: non capisco on January 16, 2021, 05:56:19 PM
I really wish they'd stuck with the two presenters format a bit longer in this era so we could have had more withering Jakki action. Her alongside Nicky Campbell calling him a dickhead with her eyes. If she'd have had Bruno Brookes next to her throughout that episode and she was constantly throwing him looks like she wanted to kick him in the windpipe it would have improved things a thousandfold.

Ha that would be amazing. Imagine if she was there when Gazza's wit was running rings around Campbell's sycophancy and all he could muster was "it's a good line".

non capisco

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on January 16, 2021, 07:55:29 PM

Really hope that was a broken link of the actual existence of "Yo, Sweetness! Give Me A Fuck!".

PAUL PHILLIPS EXONERATED.

Elton John was still only 43, which goes into the "facts that make me feel old" file, but you can see he's already gearing up for Vegas and the cruise ships crowd.

kaprisky

Was that really Elton's first UK no.1? I thought he had loads. Still, his biggest hit was about 7 years away... the way that woman grabbed a pile of CD singles off the shelves is something record companies can only dream about today! And what was that kissing his hand all about? Was he the Pope?

Also, Nicky Campbell exonerated. It was actually Goodier.

daf

Quote from: kaprisky on January 17, 2021, 11:29:05 AM
Was that really Elton's first UK no.1?

If you were being pedantic, then yes, as his previous number 1 was a duet with Kiki Dee. So it's technically his first Number 1 as a solo act.

But this is pretty thin stuff really, as Dee was really only a guest on his record. The Official chart page gives him 7 UK number ones - meaning they also count 'Don't Go Breaking My Heart' as his first.