Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 13, 2020, 07:34:12 PM
What's the schedule for these since they've returned? I used to watch 'new' ones on Friday after they aired Thu/Fri but it looks like that's not happening.

Two back to back in an hour block on Fridays.

On in around 20 minutes, at 8pm tonight - and there's usually a repeat of both on the following day (late Saturday nights / early Sunday Morning)

Icehaven

Primal Scream doing Loaded was hilarious, Bobby Gillespie had literally one line to sing so spent 95% of the time waving a maraca looking like he was about to sing but then not. Didn't think that through did they.

Sebastian Cobb

Doktor Avalanche and Eldrich really made Sisters of Mercy eh?

Icehaven

Sebastian Cobb

Lead singer of Inspiral Carpets is like an indie Dwayne Dibley.

kaprisky

Right, Mark Gardner on keyboards, extra guitar bit on Birdhouse in Your Soul and Lily Was Here reminding me of Doncaster Belles FC! Ithankyow!

And if anyone can ID the lady bassist and the backup singer with the red hot pants on the Adam Ant performance a few episodes back that would be great, thanks.

daf

15 March 1990: Presenter: Simon Mayo

(27)THE MISSION – Deliverance
(11)NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – I'll Be Loving You Forever  (video)
(18)CANDY FLIP – Strawberry Fields Forever
( 6 )THE B52'S – Love Shack  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(29)BIG FUN – Handful Of Promises  (video)
(30)FISH – A Gentleman's Excuse Me  (video)
(31)WET WET WET – Hold Back The River  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/57779449@N02/sets/72157702890325192/

(24)PRIMAL SCREAM – Loaded
(22)INSPIRAL CARPETS – This Is How It Feels
( 4 )JIVE BUNNY & THE MASTERMIXERS – That Sounds Good To Me [/color]  (video)
( 1 )BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON – Dub Be Good To Me
(28)49ers – Don't You Love Me  (video and credits)

jenna appleseed

OH FUCK THE TERRIFYING BUNNY MAN'S BACK
*runs away from thread*

someone had fun with the graphics on

Quote(30) |  FISH – A Gentleman's Excuse Me  (video)

the jive bunny 'video' is an absolute wonder.

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on November 13, 2020, 08:20:27 PM
Primal Scream doing Loaded was hilarious, Bobby Gillespie had literally one line to sing so spent 95% of the time waving a maraca looking like he was about to sing but then not. Didn't think that through did they.

Ha ha, thought the same! Elton John's performance of 'Song For Guy' is another brilliant example of this occasional hilarious TOTP treat, even better because it's literally just him and a piano and he keeps staring meaningfully into the camera as if he's about to start singing and then doesn't. At least with Primal Scream they could cut away to a closeup of the bongo player's hands.

I also properly laughed out loud at that shit dance version of Phil Collins' 'Another Day In Paradise' where the rumination on the plight of the homeless was suddenly interjected by that "Ahh, YEAH!!!" sample.

Camp Tramp

Quote from: non capisco on November 14, 2020, 06:43:04 PM

I also properly laughed out loud at that shit dance version of Phil Collins' 'Another Day In Paradise' where the rumination on the plight of the homeless was suddenly interjected by that "Ahh, YEAH!!!" sample.

Another day in paradise with my itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini.

Icehaven

I love "Ahh YEAH" almost as much as "Whaoo...Yeah...Whaoo...Yeah".

daf

22 March 1990: Presenter: Gary Davies

(21)BIG FUN – Handful Of Promises
( 3 )ERASURE – Blue Savannah  (video)
(28)ORBITAL – Chime
(14)49ers – Don't You Love Me  (video)
(34)QUEEN LATIFAH & DE LA SOUL – Mama Gave Birth To The Soul Children  (video)
(33)HEART – All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You  (video)
(36)JAM TRONIK – Another Day In Paradise  (video)

(12)SNAP – The Power
( 7 )DAVID A. STEWART feat. CANDY DULFER – Lily Was Here  (video)
(17)THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS – Birdhouse In Your Soul
( 1 )BEATS INTERNATIONAL feat. LINDY LAYTON – Dub Be Good To Me  (video)
(32)JIMMY SOMERVILLE – Read My Lips (Enough Is Enough)  (video and credits)

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2020, 08:00:27 PM
I love "Ahh YEAH" almost as much as "Whaoo...Yeah...Whaoo...Yeah".

She calls out to the man on the street
He can see she's been crying
She's got blisters on the soles of her feet
She can't walk but she's trying

Ahh YEAH!

Cracked me up, amazing.

non capisco

I wanna be so skinny that I fall from view
I, I, I, I, I  want to walk in the snow
And not leave a footprint

Ahh YEAH!

non capisco

Goodbye England's rose
May you ever grow in our hearts
You were the grace that placed itself
Where lives were torn apart

Ahh YEAH!

DrGreggles

Gary Davies introducing Orbital really does feel like moment the 80s ended and the 90s began.

grainger

New Order live, doing Joy Division.
Quote"Walk... in silence. Don't walk away... in silence. Woo!"
FWIW I love Barney's whooping... on uptempo New Order tracks, not Joy Division's most stately one.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on November 13, 2020, 11:52:28 PM
15 March 1990: Presenter: Simon Mayo

(27)THE MISSION – Deliverance

Hoary old goth-folk they might be, but done with epic chutzpah. I'll always have a soft spot for them.
CYPHER GRAPHIC score: *** Not really getting a sense of anything being 'delivered' here.

(11)NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – I'll Be Loving You Forever  (video)

Where the fuuuuuuuck is that falsetto going?
CYPHER GRAPHIC: **** Block rockin', neat!

(18)CANDY FLIP – Strawberry Fields Forever

Utterly fantastic. Fuck Slash, these kids were the ones putting Stoke on the map. That rhythm section! Also, further proof that the only people who should never be let near Beatles songs are the actual Beatles.
CG: **1/2 Expected some actual flipping, or a strawberry. Or a field.

(29)BIG FUN – Handful Of Promises  (video)
(30)FISH – A Gentleman's Excuse Me  (video)
(31)WET WET WET – Hold Back The River  (video)

It might be incontrovertibly the shitest Breakers section ever (thus far) but it's saved by a couple of stone-cold classic ***** CYPHER GRAPHICS. That fish.

(24)PRIMAL SCREAM – Loaded

Quote from: icehaven on November 13, 2020, 08:20:27 PM
Primal Scream doing Loaded was hilarious, Bobby Gillespie had literally one line to sing so spent 95% of the time waving a maraca looking like he was about to sing but then not. Didn't think that through did they

Paving the way for Pop Will Eat Itself's 'Touched By The Hand Of Cicciolina' a few weeks hence. Bobby kitted out by DFS, I see. Shoulda just had Weatherall and some decks.
CG: *** Not nearly screamy enough

(22)INSPIRAL CARPETS – This Is How It Feels

Continuing Mute Records' top 40 imperial phase... well, purple patch, at least. Always had the nagging sense this was a bit half-baked, something lacking - and yes, the Wiki bears me out:

"The second verse of this song was changed for the radio edit. The original lyrics for the first and third line were: "There's a funeral in the town" and "Seems they found him under a train" respectively. However, in the radio version, they are as follows: "Black car drives through the town" and "Left a note for a local girl." The edit was most likely made because the original version's lyrics were in reference to suicide"

Anyway nice that they got their breakthrough but it's a shame it couldn't have been in '89 with 'Joe', a much better tune.
CG: ****1/2 Simple. Effective. Winner.

Quote from: daf on November 14, 2020, 09:32:04 PM
22 March 1990: Presenter: Gary Davies

(21)BIG FUN – Handful Of Promises

Just realised, it's not a shuttlecock

( 3 )ERASURE – Blue Savannah  (video)

Forgot this made it as far as #3. There was a great kosmiche-y remix:
Der Deutsche Mix I
CG: Not sure what the whirly thing is supposed to be. Tumbleweed?

(28)ORBITAL – Chime

An odd track. The scattershot beats seemed designed to make dancing to it quite difficult. And I always think the melody has more notes in it than it actually does. I know the Hartnolls hated the dancer the show imposed on them for this performance but I reckon that's exactly how one should move to Chime.
CG: *** Does what it says on the tin

(34)QUEEN LATIFAH & DE LA SOUL – Mama Gave Birth To The Soul Children  (video)

Absolute monster of a song. Once again: Twiglets and honey, yum yum yummy!

(36)JAM TRONIK – Another Day In Paradise  (video)

See I can't help adding that "Aaaaah!" every time I hear the Phil Collins original. Which proves this is better.

(12)SNAP – The Power

He looks like a black Donald Trump (too soon?)
CG: **** Just when you think it's over... SNAP!

( 7 )DAVID A. STEWART feat. CANDY DULFER – Lily Was Here  (video)

This has been in my head all. fucking. week. I see The Orb got their hands on it.
CG: *1/2 Meh.

(17)THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS – Birdhouse In Your Soul

Take a good look Orbital, this is how you sell a performance. Seriously thinking of growing my hair out now. 
CG: ***** Iconic

daf

Enjoying the expert Cypher Graphics analysis ^ - They're certainly getting their moneysworth out of that bit of kit!

This page might be of interest - it documents the changes in the graphics used on the show around this time.

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on November 15, 2020, 12:42:01 PM
Enjoying the expert Cypher Graphics analysis ^ - They're certainly getting their moneysworth out of that bit of kit!

I love 'em. Takes me back to when I did Flash animations for a living.

This page might be of interest - it documents the changes in the graphics used on the show around this time

Thanks! Couldn't be a better day for it to piss down: desandmick.co.uk/television

jamiefairlie

That Orbital dancer lassie, was she the go to rave dancer for the show? I'm sure I've seen her on a lot and dressed similarly too.

edon

A pity they didn't bother using Cypher for much longer. The novelty might've ended up wearing off at some point but there would've always been an infinite literal interpretation mine of song titles and artist names.

I even kind of wish TOTP could've still been going now with those graphics, if only to see what they would've done about stuff like WAP.

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on November 14, 2020, 09:37:35 PM
I wanna be so skinny that I fall from view
I, I, I, I, I  want to walk in the snow
And not leave a footprint

Ahh YEAH!

Quote"Walk... in silence. Don't walk away... in silence. Woo!"

Ahh YEAH!

Captain Z

Quote from: non capisco on November 14, 2020, 06:43:04 PM

This in turn made me laugh because I came straight to the thread during the repeat last night to say the same thing. With that and the dull Strawberry Fields Forever cover, a cynical me back in 1990 might have thought dance music had already had its day. Orbital probably would have cheered me up. I think they said in the 'Story Of 1990' that they'd never met the dancer before that night.

'Woo... Yeah' also made an appearance in the Big Fun track.

non capisco

Quote from: Captain Z on November 15, 2020, 09:38:53 PM
'Woo... Yeah' also made an appearance in the Big Fun track.

The nasal voice that all three members of Big Fun (and, curiously, both members of Yell!) somehow collectively channel their vocals through is some of the most unpleasantly toned singing I think I've ever heard. And that includes the wayward falsetto offering from whatsischops out of New Kids On The Block this week.

daf, would you happen to know how many times TOTP was ever canceled for sports, big news events, etc? I know that 1.6.78 was one.

daf

Ooh, that's a fascinating question! Here's what I've been able to find out :

No show on 5 May 1966 : possible reason - Big Football game
Quote1966 European Cup Winners' Cup Final at Hampden Parkin Glasgow, Borussia Dortmund of West Germany defeated England's Liverpool F.C., 2–1, at 17 minutes into extra time after the game was tied at the end of 90 minutes. Reinhard Libuda hit a "perfectly judged cross" past Tommy Lawrence, who had blocked the first shot at goal.
- - - - - - - - - - -
No show on 18 September 1969 : reason - Mystery!
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 20 November 1969 : possible reason - Plane crash / Astronauts?
QuoteAll 87 people on Nigeria Airways Flight 825 were killed during its attempted landing at Lagos
- - - - - - - - - - -
Astronauts Pete Conrad and Alan Bean ascended from the Moon and docked with the orbiter Yankee Clipper. After re-entering the orbiter, the astronauts sent the lunar module Intrepid rocketing back toward the Moon, crashing it into the lunar surface in order to measure the impact of an object of known weight and speed to serve as a standard for evaluating future seismological readings.
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 2 July 1970 : due to Wimbledon and World Cup 1970
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 17 December 1970 : reason - mystery!
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 24 December 1970 & 23 December 1971 : possible reason - too close to Christmas?
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 10 February 1972 , 12 April 1973 & 19 April 1973: due to a B.B.C. strike
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 6 September 1973 : reason - mystery!
- - - - - - - - - - -
Cancelled : Seven weekly shows between 20 June 1974 and 1 August 1974 cancelled due to a B.B.C. strike
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 12 January 1978 - due to a B.B.C. strike
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 1 June 1978 : due to Opening Ceremony of World Cup 1978 in Argentina (first game : West Germany 0 - 0 Poland)
- - - - - - - - - - -
No Show : 21 December 1978 due to a B.B.C. strike
- - - - - - - - - - -
No show : 16 August 1979 : due to a BBC strike (This show would have been presented by Mike Read if it had been recorded - A repeat of the Peter Powell presented 2 August 1979 was shown in its place)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Cobbled Together : 29 November 1979 : Due to a BBC strike, this edition of TOTP was made up of repeat performances and videos. Peter Powell (defying the pickets!) appears in voice-over only.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Moved : 15 February 1980 & 15 February 1980 : these two editions broadcast on Friday evening, due to BBC coverage of the Winter Olympics in the normal Thursday slot.
- - - - - - - - - - -
Cancelled : 5 & 12 & 19 & 26 July 1980 & 3 July 1980 - due to a Musicians Union strike
- - - - - - - - - - -
Unbroadcast Pilot : 9 July 1980 - Presented by Peter Powell (AGAIN, the blackleg!!) & B.A. Robertson - members of the production team stood in for the studio acts (I love this episode - Legs & Co's routine is an eye-popping delight!)
- - - - - - - - - - -
Cancelled : 10 & 17 & 24 & 31 July 1980 - due to a Musicians Union strike (Apparently some never-broadcast inserts exist from around this time, including Elvis Costello ("New Amsterdam") and Sammy Hagar ("Heartbeat").)
- - - - - - - - - - -