Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:08:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

Stoked for that, I can tell you.

[Edit: New page that turned out well]

monkfromhavana

Dimples D proved that good lip-syncing isn't as easy as it looks

Camp Tramp

Kinky Boots was rather dubious, especially the "Sexy little schoolgirls" lines.

monkfromhavana

The woman at the bottom right of Cliff's little choir seems to be trying desperately not to piss herself laughing.

daf

29 November 1990: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

(13) | DREAM WARRIORS – My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style
(22) | SOUL II SOUL feat. KYM MAZELLE – Missing You (video)
(16) | MEGABASS – Time To Make The Floor Burn (video)
(14) | PATRICK MacNEE & HONOR BLACKMAN – Kinky Boots (video)
(21) | DIMPLES D – Sucker D.J.
(24) | CHRIS ISAAK – Wicked Game
(20) | PET SHOP BOYS – Being Boring
(18) | BOMBALURINA feat. TIMMY MALLET – Seven Little Girls (video)
( 1 ) | VANILLA ICE – Ice Ice Baby (video)

(25) | DEEE-LITE – Power Of Love (video and credits)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Norton Canes

Ha, Mallett castigating MC Hammer: "He's stolen most of this off Prince. This is a shame because [he's] usually really good". Might wanna check out some Rick James, Timbo.

kalowski

"He's got a great voice. Who is it? Sounds like Bruce Willis."

kaprisky

To be fair to Vanilla Ice Ice Baby, that was a cracking performance, especially the fella behind the decks. Golden age of hip hop, indeed! And PSB were cut off too early.

Sebastian Cobb

Mallet could at least have found another "ah yeah" sample.

daf

6 December 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier (1400th edition)

(25) | TWENTY 4 SEVEN feat. CAPTAIN HOLLYWOOD – Are You Dreaming?
( 9 ) | MADONNA – Justify My Love (video)
(12) | THE FARM – All Together Now

(20) | M.C. HAMMER – Pray (video)
( 6 ) | CLIFF RICHARD – Saviour's Day
- - - - - - - - - - (Album Chart) - - - - - - - - - - -
( 5 ) | MADONNA – Vogue  (video)
( 4 ) | PAUL SIMON – The Obvious Child  (video)
( 3 ) | THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH – A Little Time  (video)
( 2 ) | PHIL COLLINS – Do You Remember (live clip)
( 1 ) | ELTON JOHN – Sacrifice  (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) | SNAP – Mary Had A Little Boy (video)
(13) | NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK – This One's For The Children (video)
( 1 ) | VANILLA ICE – Ice Ice Baby
(27) | BETTY BOO – 24 Hours (video and credits)

DrGreggles

Quote from: kaprisky on April 17, 2021, 02:16:01 PM
To be fair to Vanilla Ice Ice Baby, that was a cracking performance, especially the fella behind the decks. Golden age of hip hop, indeed! And PSB were cut off too early.

As ludicrous as it is, I genuinely love Ice Ice Baby.

non capisco

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 16, 2021, 09:15:46 PM
The woman at the bottom right of Cliff's little choir seems to be trying desperately not to piss herself laughing.

I got a big laugh off that flute player looking like he was thinking "Fuck off you prick" during Cliff's demeaning little mic-as-flute mime. Some classic humouring the boss vibes there.

non capisco

Quote from: kaprisky on April 17, 2021, 02:16:01 PM

It's not just me going insane then. I also really enjoyed that, floor humping moves and all. Much better than the video with his ridiculous gurning mush.

The link to Redman on the previous page saying MC Hammer was a bit of a hard knock who allegedly put a Crips hit out on 3rd Base is a bit "fuck my hat" if true.

daf

Chicory

Seeing 'Being Boring' getting cut off in its prime by that Butlins Alex Kapranos made me want to curb stomp my own television.

non capisco

Quote from: Chicory on April 17, 2021, 11:21:34 PM
Butlins Alex Kapranos

Ha ha!

That second Bombalurina song is up there with 'Old Pop In An Oak' by Rednex and 'Lovin Just For Fun' by Kelly Marie in the "follow up to a hit that sounds exactly the fucking same" stakes. And you know the bloke who originally said "AH YEAH!" wasn't seeing a penny from this shit.

What are some other "follow up to a hit that sound exactly the fucking same" records? I know I have some on the tip of my mind but they're not coming. There have been some real "how do you possibly expect to get away with this?" examples over the years.

EDIT: Van McCoy's 'The Shuffle' . Trigger warning: DLT.

Jackson K Pollock

Mark Goodier's utter banality knows no bounds. I had to wind back and check the subtitles for this as I genuinely couldn't believe what I'd heard:

"Elton John: The Very Best of Elton John... a sort of 'greatest hits' collection"

Bloody hell, you gormless twunt.

He also has an annoying habit of predicting a song will be a top 5 hit when he has nothing else to say about the artist.

—-

Perhaps I'm just overly defensive of Timmy Mallett because he was such a big part of my childhood and to this day still seems like a decent guy, but if Mallett had been in the studio he should've kicked Campbell's teeth down his throat. "Was that Timmy Mallett it was it John Major? Great to see Timmy Mallett back in the charts - aw no!".

In what world is this smugness warranted? You  are the FACE of this stuff, you're not above it. Fair enough if Lee & Herring come on TOTP and take the piss out of East 17 or something - it's a one-off and they've obviously been asked to be there because they're edgy and somewhat alternative.. This is your JOB - you are just as good or bad as anything else on the show. So go and knob yourself - the worst Jive Bunny mega mix is still better than anything you've ever contributed to society in your life.

—-

And yes, that Vanilla Ice performance is an all-time great TOTP outing. And the Dream Warriors were excellent too. Although it strikes me as a bit weird that each time the presenter would make a big deal out of the vocals being live. Reminds me of latter-day WCW where they would try and do worked shoots, telling you "the other matches were fake but this one is real, honest!".

daf

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on April 17, 2021, 11:56:08 PM
Mark Goodier's utter banality knows no bounds. I had to wind back and check the subtitles for this as I genuinely couldn't believe what I'd heard:

"Elton John: The Very Best of Elton John... a sort of 'greatest hits' collection"

I was wondering if he got a bit mixed up with Phil Collins' album 'Serious Hits Live' * - which is indeed "a sort of greatest hits collection" (i.e. not a proper one - as they're all shit live versions).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
* (one for anagram fans there!)

Captain Z

Get your hands out of your pockets Goodier. In fact, just take your coat off. You won't feel the benefit.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on April 17, 2021, 11:56:08 PM
So go and knob yourself - the worst Jive Bunny mega mix is still better than anything you've ever contributed to society in your life.

Harsh, but fair I thought.

non capisco

Nicky Campbell saw me slagging him off on Twitter the other week. He responded late Sunday morning so it appears he does a vanity search for himself directly after his 'The Big Questions' show airs on BBC1.

Gulftastic

Norton Canes

Quote from: daf on April 17, 2021, 12:18:25 AM
29 November 1990: Presenter: Nicky Campbell

Quote from: daf on April 17, 2021, 05:29:00 PM
6 December 1990: Presenter: Mark Goodier (1400th edition)

Not much I can add to what's already been said (especially the Campbell and Goodier assassinations) and not much time to do it, McGill/Walden isn't going to watch itself. Thought it was a really good brace of episodes considering what I'd read over the last fortnight saying they were stuffed with Christmas dross.

(13) | DREAM WARRIORS – My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style

100 kinds of brilliant obviously, but, I wonder, did the Pops mandarins watch this and start thinking all dance and rap groups could perform live this well? What I'm saying is, did Dream Warriors sow the seeds for the catstrophic '91 overhaul..? (Snopes: 'No')

(24) | CHRIS ISAAK – Wicked Game

Appears to have attached an entire canteen of teaspoons to his lapels. Love that while one backing singer looks ultra cool and aloof, the other looks like she's desperately trying to stay on her feet after a long night on the pinot noir

(20) | PET SHOP BOYS – Being Boring

I'd have walked, if I was them. Third verse goes in or GTF. We're gone, show the video over the credits mate, at least they usually get played to the end. Or, wait, how about this as a compromise, if it's so important you show Time To Make The fucking Floor Burn again - let's start ours from the second verse, then we at least get to hear the bit that explains the entire point of the song.   

(12) | THE FARM – All Together Now

Canon fodder

( 6 ) | CLIFF RICHARD – Saviour's Day

Quote from: monkfromhavana on April 16, 2021, 09:15:46 PM
The woman at the bottom right of Cliff's little choir seems to be trying desperately not to piss herself laughing

SEIZED BY THE JOY OF GOD'S LOVE SAY I BELIEVE

( 1 ) | VANILLA ICE – Ice Ice Baby

RVW's career high point, right there. Surprised they pulled this show last week. I can't think of a better tribute to Prince Philip than showing some Queen humping.

Quote from: Camp Tramp on April 16, 2021, 08:50:33 PM
Kinky Boots was rather dubious, especially the "Sexy little schoolgirls" lines.

A case of bringing back a 60s trend that wasn't so healthy, under the cover of irony or camp.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Norton Canes on April 18, 2021, 10:54:19 AM

RVW's career high point, right there. Surprised they pulled this show last week. I can't think of a better tribute to Prince Philip than showing some Queen humping.

Or is it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNuJuO_N2w

Starlit

Quote from: non capisco on April 17, 2021, 11:36:42 PM
What are some other "follow up to a hit that sound exactly the fucking same" records?

The Nightcrawlers single after Push The Feeling On was virtually indistinguishable from its predecessor as I recall. The title also involved Pushing or Feeling, I forget what it was exactly.

Captain Z

Darude's Feel The Beat almost certainly came out of the same project file as Sandstorm. Safri Duo followed up Played-A-Live (The Bongo Song) with Samb-Adagio but it was never a hit in the UK.

SullySullivan85

Er, hello there.  First time poster.  Love TOTP, love Chart Music, love Chris Morris, love this Chris Morris forum's coverage of TOTP and Chart Music. 

I'll begin by asking, after viewing
Spoiler alert
NKOTB's horrific uber-schmaltzfest This One's For The Children in the latest episode, is it so wrong to wish the kid carrying the baguettes was pushed in the canal?
[close]

Norton Canes

Quote from: non capisco on April 18, 2021, 09:06:33 AM
Nicky Campbell saw me slagging him off on Twitter the other week. He responded late Sunday morning so it appears he does a vanity search for himself directly after his 'The Big Questions' show airs on BBC1

Screenshots!

Quote from: Gulftastic on April 18, 2021, 04:22:38 PM
Or is it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNuJuO_N2w

I mean specifically the moment he starts humping the floor in that TOTP performance. Career peak measured to the exact second - all downhill from there.

I'd forgotten 'Being Boring' did so badly in the UK chart. Presumably that influenced the decision to bolt 'Where the Streets Have No Name (I Can't Take My Eyes Off You)' onto the release of 'How Can You Expect to Be Taken Seriously?'

Norton Canes

21:00 episode bumped! Disgraceful. Just the 13th Dec episode to come then, presumably.

Although the BBC Four schedule says it's the the 20th Dec episode we're getting at 21:30. Surely they'd have the sense to keep the TX order?