Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matjam13

1991 Repeats Commence on the 21st of May With 3/1 and 10/1.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2021/05/21

gilbertharding

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on April 30, 2021, 11:43:45 PM
I thought that Mayo, like Peel, overdid the sarcasm conveying contempt he felt for the music. If you don't like pop music, don't host a fucking pop show.

I got (always did) the impression that he liked proper music, like Fairground Attraction and Prefab Sprout. In fact, those two bands (and others) I always think of as 'Simon Mayo music'.

I mean, he couldn't help it, I guess - it was the age he was at the time... a mere 10 years after graduating from a Russell Group university with a history degree.

As for Mark Goodier - he hosted the evening session, post Kid Jenson and pre Lamacq and Wiley, so I presume he considered himself to have his finger on the nub of youth. Nirvana recorded sessions for his show.

Icehaven

Crazy, fucking hell, one of the greatest songs of the last 30 years.

Edit: 31 years. I'm old.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: icehaven on May 07, 2021, 08:17:03 PM
Crazy, fucking hell, one of the greatest songs of the last 30 years.

Edit: 31 years. I'm old.

It is good, isn't it? Future Love Paradise was also pretty good.

Wicked Game is definitely one of my favourites. Just something about it that always makes me stop and listen.

Icehaven

Wicked Game is absolutely fantastic, and to be shallow he looks like a perfect David Lynch soul. As did Julee Cruise a few weeks ago.

Impressed the subtitles have all the Latin for Enigma.

monkfromhavana

This second episode is absolute dog turd.

Icehaven

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 07, 2021, 08:48:57 PM

Yes I'm currently watching Cliff Richard twirling in a lame jacket and wondering where it went wrong. (Me, not Cliff unfortunately.)

monkfromhavana

Quote from: icehaven on May 07, 2021, 08:53:15 PM
Yes I'm currently watching Cliff Richard twirling in a lame jacket and wondering where it went wrong. (Me, not Cliff unfortunately.)

For me, Cliff has always given off that "cult leader" vibe and that jacket and his prancing whilst his disciples have to play along only reinforces that.

Icehaven

Only slightly less terrifying than this last gasp Jive Bunny abomination. Jesus.

Icehaven

Not to derail but on Sky Arts now there's a Suede docu.

Icehaven

Followed by a Seal one with him doing Crazy live. Not a general Seal fan but that's an amazing song. Someone on Sky Arts is indulging my taste tonight.

daf

13 December 1990: Presenter: Simon Mayo

(34) | SHAKIN' STEVENS – The Best Christmas Of Them
(13) | THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS – You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'
(14) | YAZOO – Situation (Remix) (video)
(15) | MALANDRA BURROWS – Just This Side Of Love
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(24) | INXS – Disappear (video)
(27) | ENIGMA – Sadness Part 1 (video)
(30) | GEORGE MICHAEL – Freedom (video)
(31) | THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(32) | SEAL – Crazy
(22) | BLACK BOX – The Total Mix (video)
(10) | CHRIS ISAAK – Wicked Game

( 1 ) | VANILLA ICE – Ice Ice Baby (video)
(17) | DIMPLES D – Sucker D.J. (credits)

Did anyone get through that Righteous Brothers video without singing the "Baby, baby" in the style of Paul Shane?

Also, fair play to whoever put out that wretched Malandra Burrows single and convinced enough people to buy it to get it to number 15 in a pretty decent chart.

How did Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet feel about Yazoo being remixed and put on TOTP in 1990?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: icehaven on May 07, 2021, 08:43:27 PM
Wicked Game is absolutely fantastic, and to be shallow he looks like a perfect David Lynch soul. As did Julee Cruise a few weeks ago.

Impressed the subtitles have all the Latin for Enigma.
Chris Isaak is one* of the English-language singers my other half has become really taken with - she can't understand a lot of what he sings, but loves the voice and James Calvin Wilsey's guitar playing on those early albums.

*Joe Jackson is another, for some reason.

Chicory

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on May 08, 2021, 10:44:45 AM
How did Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet feel about Yazoo being remixed and put on TOTP in 1990?

I probably need to sort my head out but my attention drifted away from the utterly pointless 'just like the 1982 version but with a beefier beat' song and onto the more pressing matter of how many people in that video are now dead.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 07, 2021, 08:57:17 PM
For me, Cliff has always given off that "cult leader" vibe and that jacket and his prancing whilst his disciples have to play along only reinforces that.

Cliff still being 'a chart thing' so late has been unsettling. I was completely unaware of his late 80s SAW tracks - there's one with a LOT going on in the video.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on May 07, 2021, 08:48:57 PM

I've just got to the Grease Megamix. Christ.

non capisco

Quote from: icehaven on May 07, 2021, 09:00:15 PM
Only slightly less terrifying than this last gasp Jive Bunny abomination. Jesus.

I think that's the second time they've had footage of Stalin in one of their videos. He was a laugh from the past, wasn't he, old Stalin? Right up there for nostalgic giggles with people jumping off diving boards dressed as aeroplanes and some holiday camp game where you have to try and catch a frog. It cut off before the images of forced labour camps and Jive Bunny popping up and making a sarcastic "hard at work" face.

That's the last we'll see of Shaky, by the way. He only had one song I genuinely like in his ten years of TOTP appearances but I think I'm gonna miss him.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: non capisco on May 08, 2021, 07:10:20 PM
I think that's the second time they've had footage of Stalin in one of their videos. He was a laugh from the past, wasn't he, old Stalin? Right up there for nostalgic giggles with people jumping off diving boards dressed as aeroplanes and some holiday camp game where you have to try and catch a frog. It cut off before the images of forced labour camps and Jive Bunny popping up and making a sarcastic "hard at work" face.

That's the last we'll see of Shaky, by the way. He only had one song I genuinely like in his ten years of TOTP appearances but I think I'm gonna miss him.

Thrown on A Little Boogie Woogie in honour.

As YouTube commenter Stuart Bell said back in 2019: Go for it shaky lad 🙌🏼🕺🏻

Quote from: matjam13 on May 05, 2021, 03:31:17 PM
1991 Repeats Commence on the 21st of May With 3/1 and 10/1.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6b/2021/05/21

are they not doing the Story of 1991? Shame, I really wanted to listen to Bryan Adams on repeat.

daf

According to Rozalla on Inatagram :

Quote from: rozallabTop Of The Pops, the story of 1991. Will be shown 8th January 2021 on BBC 4. Thank you @seale.tv @jimothypearson and Verity for the interview 🙏🏽❤️💯🎶

So they've filmed it - but obviously that broadcast date has passed - so I'd assume it will show up at some point, the rumour is a Bank holiday weekend on BBC 2.

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry if it's been asked/answered, but was there any reason the Righteous Brothers got re-released?

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 08:04:53 PM
Sorry if it's been asked/answered, but was there any reason the Righteous Brothers got re-released?
The movie Ghost

daf

20 December 1990: Presenter: Bruno Brookes

( 8 ) | SNAP – Mary Had A Little Boy
(26) | THE CARPENTERS – (They Long To Be) Close To You (video)
(21) | INXS – Disappear (video)
( 6 ) | ENIGMA – Sadness Part 1 (video)
(14) | JOHN REVOLTING & OLIVIA NEWTRON-BOMB – The Grease Megamix (video)
(10) | M.C. HAMMER – Pray (video)
(20) | STATUS QUO – The Anniversary Waltz Part 2 (video)
( 2 ) | CLIFF PILCHARD – Saviour's Day

( 1 ) | VANILLA ICE – Ice Ice Baby
(25) | JIVE BUNNY & THE BASTARDMIXERS – The Crazy Party Mixes (video and credits)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 08, 2021, 08:06:14 PM
The movie Ghost

Of course! Thought it must be a film or something, didn't twig Ghost as I thought it was older than that.

DrGreggles

Unchained Melody was in Ghost, but a Righteous Brothers compilation was released on the back of the success of that.
You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' was re-released to promote that.

matjam13

Quote from: non capisco on May 08, 2021, 07:10:20 PM
He makes one last appearance in 2005 with his last Top 40 single which was a cover of Trouble by Pink.