Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:16:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Elections 2020 IV: The Two Gentlemen of Corona

Started by Ferris, November 05, 2020, 11:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Menu on November 19, 2020, 10:16:08 PM
CBS. Home to the CBS Saturday night Crap-a-rama!

In the early 90s.

Aha - cheers!

ETA: Fucks sake that was worth a new page

EOLAN

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 19, 2020, 10:54:55 PM
That were good, and I think it's probably right. Thanks for posting.

Was alright. I do think people who are politically engaged should be looking to game polls in any case. There is no moral imperative to be truthful and you should say who you would vote for based on what is best for your preferred choice if it is reflected in the polls.

Anyway; I think the absolute worst thing for democracy is if polls were extremely accurate and effectively are strong predictors of elections; making elections and the ballot box themselves a bit worthless.

Menu

Quote from: EOLAN on November 19, 2020, 11:13:06 PM

Anyway; I think the absolute worst thing for democracy is if polls were extremely accurate and effectively are strong predictors of elections; making elections and the ballot box themselves a bit worthless.

Well democracy is in pretty fine shape on that front then.

Mister Six

evilcommiedictator

I remember the famous press conference where Obama claimed both Mars and Jupiter as his own personal fiefdoms away from international law, and I also remember "Space Force" being created out of bits of the USAAF that were already those jobs anyway

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Cuellar on November 19, 2020, 09:47:36 PM
No, imitationleather, that's wrong.

It's going to drive me mad. Maybe I am just thinking of Frasier
The first thing it reminded me of wasn't a comedy at all, it was Dirk Bogarde in Death in Venice

DrGreggles

Urinal Cake

This is what happens when people live too long and have too much money.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 20, 2020, 08:04:44 AM
Biden has won Georgia! Again.

That's the trouble with these Chinese. You count the election results then 2 days later have to count them again.

Paul Calf

druss

I'm surprised that an attempted coup in America isn't getting more global outrage and coverage. Is it just that no one thinks there is any chance of it succeeding? It's absolutely fucking mental.

Paul Calf

ajsmith2

I shouldn't really post links to complaining Trump supporters I don't know anything about who I only saw cos they were retweeted by Ben Garrison like there's anything to be gleaned there, but I'll make an exception this one time cos I'm just stunned by it. What the fuck is this supposed to mean as a statement?

https://twitter.com/tomfitton/status/1329181151441850368?s=21

'The left ruined the election' ? Why? Cos it was planned by all to be a glorious repeat of 2016 but the 'left' (in fact the American populace) were party poopers about it and had to vote for the other guy in larger numbers and spoilt things? I guess people who think like this honestly and with no self awareness whatsoever assumed that under Trump elections were to become a 4 yearly symbolic festive event where that years nominated Dem 'loser' gets ceremonially defeated by Trump, followed by the now traditional 'triggering of the lefties' in honour and rememberance of how God's Chosen Vessel first came to power. Maybe if he'd managed a second and third term (or indeed manages a coup) they would've.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: druss on November 20, 2020, 10:35:38 AM
I'm surprised that an attempted coup in America isn't getting more global outrage and coverage. Is it just that no one thinks there is any chance of it succeeding? It's absolutely fucking mental.

Reminds me of those famous lyrics

'We are livin in a Move Mania, movin' people that's what we are'

Cuellar

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 20, 2020, 08:04:44 AM
Biden has won Georgia! Again.

But given that the margin is still 0.5% or whatever, the Trump team can ask for a recount can't they?

So Biden could be on course for the hattrick.

daf

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

idunnosomename

Quote from: ajsmith2 on November 20, 2020, 11:46:25 AM
I shouldn't really post links to complaining Trump supporters I don't know anything about who I only saw cos they were retweeted by Ben Garrison like there's anything to be gleaned there, but I'll make an exception this one time cos I'm just stunned by it. What the fuck is this supposed to mean as a statement?

https://twitter.com/tomfitton/status/1329181151441850368?s=21

This reply is mind-bending

https://mobile.twitter.com/wvug12/status/1329200669962760192

Trump is not a dictator because he lost therefore trump won

The thing is, conservatives shouldnt be personally afraid of Biden because hes not going to do anything that impacts them. In retrospect the same was true for trump and libs because he barely did anything either. Not like what the tories have managed here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIn retrospect the same was true for trump and libs because he barely did anything either.

Radicalise millions of people to white nationalism, cage babies, establish tent cities, accelerate funnel of wealth to the top to exponential levels, withdraw from nuclear + environmental treaties, normalise bigotry against other nations and races, normalise sexism and sexual violence, mock disabled people and normalise the abuse of the disabled, defend fascist groups, commit large scale defrauding and embezzlement, stack the supreme court with arch conservatives, push one of the two major parties to inhabit the unequivocal far-right and capping it off with ending American Democracy

= barely anything

Bazooka

He clearly increased sensationalism too^^^^^^^^

Shoulders?-Stomach!

idunnosomename

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 20, 2020, 06:07:57 PM
Radicalise millions of people to white nationalism, cage babies, establish tent cities, accelerate funnel of wealth to the top to exponential levels, withdraw from nuclear + environmental treaties, normalise bigotry against other nations and races, normalise sexism and sexual violence, mock disabled people and normalise the abuse of the disabled, defend fascist groups, commit large scale defrauding and embezzlement, stack the supreme court with arch conservatives, push one of the two major parties to inhabit the unequivocal far-right and capping it off with ending American Democracy

= barely anything
sounds like business as usual for the USA for the most part

Dog Botherer

isnt Tom Fitton that Judicial Watch guy who spends about 75% of his social media presence trying to get WASPcougars to lick his steroid abs and the other 25% being an absolute far right maniac?

steve98

Yeah that's him. Every day you get a new Tweet of him and his muscles; his shirts are about 4 sizes too small.

Ferris

Quote from: Bazooka on November 20, 2020, 06:11:59 PM
He clearly increased sensationalism too^^^^^^^^

The amount of damage done by trump in 4 years is so large as to be difficult to summarize in a line or two. You have to really step back to get it all into frame.

Have a look who was appointed to run the NOAA, or the Bureau of Land Management, or the DoE, or the former head of the DoI (to pick the first 4 I thought of) and look at their qualifications. Look at the secretary of commerce for crying out loud. Not a single one could run a lemonade stand, but all of them quietly chiseling away at US federal bureaucracy unashamedly for their own financial benefit. There are dozens of these federal agencies working away (or not) on everyone's behalf. And it is dull, so no one reports on it and no one cares. The damage there will take a long time to sort.

He is also salting the earth for all future elections and making that a testament of faith - if a republican loses a race in the future, result-denial will be baked in. It's the new birther and GOP primary voters will latch on to it. And we all know the mechanism for denying elections now - who's going to be applying to certify votes in swing states over the next few years? My guess is a crop of goose stepping yahoos who'll do whatever it takes because that is the attitude that has prevailed.

And speaking of primary voters, trump won't be the last. He's demonstrated that post-policy politics works[nb]to the point where the GOP didn't have a policy platform in 2020. They just didn't bother drafting one and won the most votes for a sitting president ever[/nb]. It is effective. You can run on it nationally, and as long as once in a century pandemics don't come along, the working compact between people and politicians is so utterly broken and the populace is so cowed and empathetic that as long as you have friendly media barons around, you can win. Ethical breaches, refusing to divest your businesses, not releasing your taxes, refusing to follow basic norms of decency (not least refusing to throw out the first pitch of the World Series) - fuck it, no one cares. Fill yer boots and laugh while you do it. Guarantee you GOP politicians will start refusing to do all those things in future election cycles and still be competitive.

This is without getting onto the obvious ORANGE MAN BAD stuff like firing people who are disloyal, or asking foreign governments to buy more soy beans so you can shore up your vote in the Midwest, or relying on Rudy fuckin Giuliani (and if that's not an error of judgement what is), or the questionable foreign policy, or stonewalling congress and pardoning your criminal friends. Federal employees can't use their office to promote things - he literally used the Oval Office to sell stuff because he got some tweets that praised him (also executive branch staff can and do ignore the batch act with impugning and the OGE can't do anything about except write stern letters). He's just astonishingly crooked and unfit for office.

All of this is a direct result of the man and how he has governed. He hasn't had 0 impact, in any shape or form.

Maybe all this will fade, and it gets better. Maybe it was always this bad and it just took an unhinged narcissist to galvanize cunts into one monolith. Either way, he has done serious fundamental damage to the system of government at all levels and US democracy as a whole and I don't think it'll be undone for decades, if ever.

Ferris

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 20, 2020, 06:07:57 PM

= barely anything

I'd forgotten the SCOTUS actually. Even there, he's plumbed new depths - the court is nominally apolitical. You can't start bragging about having installed "a majority", conservative or otherwise. You shouldn't stack every federal court in the land with right wingers just because you are being enabled by a partisan senate. These are basic democratic norms.

Government officials used to shy away from admitting what they were doing was for minority partisan gain - this cunt campaigned on it.

BlodwynPig

How long before the Tories start this?

POTUK
FLOTUK
WOTUK

Mr Banlon