Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:59:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Textface

I just finished the "Couch to 5k" app podcast thing. It actually should be called "Couch to 30 mins non stop" as distance isn't a factor.  Do we need to make our respiratory systems stronger.? Are you necking Vitamn D? Who else is fitter now?

I'm fit as fuck.

bgmnts

Little bit yeah, regularly walking 3-5 miles a day. Quite enjoying it.

JamesTC

Been on a diet since January. I started taking vitamin D supplements when lockdown started after I realised I would be out in the sun less and there were reports about deficiency being a big indicator of a weaker immune response to C19.

Started running at the start of June and now run 35-40 miles a week (5-6 days a week) and have run two half-marathons. I had fuck all stamina at the start of June but it all builds up so quickly. I basically did a Couch to 5K but at my own pace.

non capisco

Been taking Vitamin D and zinc supplements because a doctor swore blind it was the most effective protection from severe Covid. Not my doctor, I should add, a bloke who said he was a doctor I was chatting to when we were both in the queue for a big unhealthy Vietnamese takeaway sandwich.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2020, 01:17:20 AM
Little bit yeah, regularly walking 3-5 miles a day. Quite enjoying it.

The opposite, since working for guberment, I'm working from 8 til late, so from 3-6 mile walks a day as a researcher, down to zero and doubled in weight due to nervous eating. They keep on saying "remember to look after yourself, have an hour walk at lunch", but they schedule meetings at lunch time. Will walk today, but it's not enough.

hamfist

also been putting the D in my body

I lost 15kg since August and I am back into running again. I do a few dumbbell workouts and a bit of yoga too, nice end to the day. I am getting lean and firm baby. Lean and firm.

BlodwynPig

Zetetic

Went cycling a lot around empty industrial estates listening to noise pop and feeling sorry for myself during the evenings of the first lockdown.

Harder now with the short days, but have been frequently clearing off for an hour or so several times a day during work to do the same.

Various surges in alcohol and junk food consumption have fattened me a bit, I think, but I'm not really sure.

Have also started taking Vitamin D and proselytising to others about it, but not really on a 'ViD basis.

Zetetic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2020, 08:46:53 AM
They keep on saying "remember to look after yourself, have an hour walk at lunch", but they schedule meetings at lunch time.
I suspect you're in a considerably less disposable position, but I've found scheduling your own "meetings" to try to keep space has some - limited - success.

jobotic

Since starting to take vitamin D two weeks ago I've had a hideous cold that won't go away or even improve. It's not covid, I had a test. Scientifically it's a fact that the D caused the cold. I haven't been drinking either. In fact the cold started the evening after a 10km run.

Fuck fitness.

imitationleather

I've been taking vitamin D for years because once I had a blood test and I registered a zero for it, a result the doctor had never seen before.

Now I think about it, it seems more likely that it was a mistake.

Buelligan

Have taken vits for years, simply because it seemed wise.  Not any weirdies, I hasten to add, just basic multivits, iron, zinc, shit like that.  I might be marginally plumping at the moment but I'm happy about it.  When I was working all the hours, I was eating cake daily just to stop myself disappearing.  Now, I'm working a lot less hard so skipping the cake.  Skip the cake Blods.  Skip that fucking cake if you wish to retain your pelvis.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

olliebean

No, not getting fit. I have been exercising, which apparently isn't the same thing. I made an assumption that one would lead to the other, what a fool I was.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2020, 09:13:49 AM
More fattening up stories, please.

My stretch marks from childhood overweightness have come back.

thenoise

Daily walks were just about balancing out my late night food binges. Now my ankle is fucked, dead (fat) soon.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I do the odd bit of strength training, when I remember/can be bothered. Cosmetically, I'm in good shape, but I have the lung capacity of a baby smoker. I used to cycle fairly regularly, but stopped five years ago, when I moved to a house on a terrifyingly busy road. I have thought for years that I ought to take up jogging or something, but I've never got around to it.

Emma Raducanu

I last exercised in may. So 5 months of doing nothing has left me depressed. During that time I sold my bike to make space. Think that decision has haunted me ever since.

So end of October I splashed out on a Garmin 245, expensive running shoes and winter gear so weather is never an excuse and have started running.

I used to run a lot of half marathons but gave it up due to an Achilles injury. So it's been 5 years since I ran and after 7 runs this time round out my legs are absolutely fucked. My knees are in agony, both Achilles heals feel like they're being torn and my thighs ache like a twat.

I'm now also doing 5x5 strength training which is an excellent app for compound weight lifting.

But it's the running that has added joy to my life. Takes 10 minutes from my house to remote countryside and of a morning it's proper life affirming spirituality. When I'm pain free, I'm headed out there to get drunk on life and the smell of cow shit.

Can't emphasize how wonderful it is to be back running again.

surreal

After putting some back on with the takeaways at the start, I started doing the Intermittent fasting in mid July and am down just over 10kg now.  It's really helped to get my calories under control and fixed my main problem which was finishing the day with a large meal - now I just drink water and coffee and don't eat until between 3-4pm, then I'll have another meal around about 6.30-7pm.  That splits my calories into 2 decent meals and makes it easier to hit about 1500-1600 most days, and gives me some leeway to have a bit more on days when I need it (like weekends). 

It's been a pretty steady drop, I'm plateaued at the moment though so need to be a bit more strict for a while, but whenever I've dropped weight in the past I have always hit a block at this point.  The key is going to be moving past it and carrying on downwards.  I need to lose about another 15kg to feel better about myself, but ideally about twice that.

bgmnts

How do people actually lose this weight so easily then? I've lost bugger all.

I don't think there's a universal solution for everyone, but the biggest steps for me were cutting down on biscuits and doing pullups. I'm no scientician, but it's my understanding that muscle burns calories even when you're not doing anything.

Aerobic exercise is good for general health, but I'm not sure it's much cop for losing weight. As I mentioned upthread, I don't exercise all that much, but I've remained slim throughout my 30s, after being a bit on the flabby side in my late 20s. Meanwhile, I have friends who go running regularly (one of them has even done marathons) but they haven't lost an ounce of fat as a result.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 07, 2020, 09:13:49 AM
More fattening up stories, please.

Eat so much friday night I had to leap out of bed to do a poo at 6am then 10am.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2020, 12:55:48 PM

eat less and walk a lot.

chveik

Pullups. They're not just a brand of nappies.

surreal

Whichever method you pick, in the end it is all calories eaten Vs calories burned, whether you think of it that way or not. I got to IF in the end to solve my particular problem with eating big meals - reducing my eating window to 4-6 hrs gives me enough time for two filling meals which hit a deficit.  No exercise so far, although I do have a stationary bike.   I also log things in myfitnesspal, and have a handful of good meals and fast food choices logged that I already know the calories for so I can mix and match per day (if I eat this I can eat that)

Best help I got was on Reddit actually, the r/loseit and r/intermittentfasting subreddits are great for encouragement, genuinely good communities.

It's not easy to keep going, which is why I've been up and down my whole life.  The numbers are logical though, it's all just numbers.

Small Man Big Horse

Getting diabetes worked for me. I've lost 2 and a half stone since April which I'm sure isn't as much as many, but I've done so just by changing my diet to all meals being vegetables and white meat / fish , bar cereal for breakfast and the odd treat day. I also came off my anti-depressants and wanked a lot more, but that's probably a coincidence as I'm back on them now but still losing weight.

Rizla

Bowl of oat bran 1st thing, along with a big fresh juice (beets, carrot, ginger and apple mainly) and a green smoothie (oat milk, spinach and banana, some nuts maybe). Could do with more exercise but the daily trip down Asda (for smoothie and juice ingredients) gives me about 6000 steps so could be worse. All but given up beer, apart from the monthly beer52 box of 10, just need to kick the 2 bottles of wine per night habit now and I'll be golden. I have been doing some of the best shits of my life.