Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,474
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:40:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 28, 2021, 09:15:39 PM
I'm knackered once the podcast program is over but, as I quite like Sanjeev Kohli telling me how well I'm doing and don't think I'll be able to improvise a run without him.

That's the BBC one, right? I've just been doing the NHS one, with the lovely Laura and the music seemingly chosen for its motivational lyrics. Might be the same Laura on the BBC one actually, might give that one a go to mix things up a bit, cheers.

jaydee81

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 28, 2021, 09:15:39 PM
Deadly, well done. You'll be able to do it, I managed a few of the thirty minute runs at the end but encountered a series of health setbacks and fell quite completely off the wagon. I've started right over and just finished week one again.

I'm knackered once the podcast program is over but, as I quite like Sanjeev Kohli telling me how well I'm doing and don't think I'll be able to improvise a run without him.

I'm doing Couch to 5k now. Started at the beginning of January, at which point I don't think I've ever continuously jogged for more than 5 minutes in my life. Was always a 'run to the gate at cross country and then walk up the hill, with intermittent 3 minute jogs' kind of kid. And that was in the 1990s. Now I've just finished Week 7 and can run for 25 minutes non stop.

I haven't given Sanjeev a try yet. I started with Sarah Millican because I thought she'd be understanding of my crapness, but the app kicked me off her for some reason so I've been training with Michael Johnson in my ears. Do you know what? It actually feels like he's proud of me when I finish a run. I feel like I'm training for the Olympics and Michael has my back.

I did try to listen to Jo Whiley once, had to turn her off after 60 seconds of 'casual chat'. Come on Jo, Michael's given me the thirst for medals now, we need to take this seriously.

I can't believe in January I was a bum, and now I'm thinking about X fitness, my 'core', interval training and Park runs. Kill me

jaydee81

Could we make a Spotify running playlist please?

Blue Jam

Just installed the BBC Couch To 5K app. Didn't realise you had to provide your own music. Was thinking of using Audacity to put together some running playlists so that works for me.

Not sure I can handle Michael Johnson giving me instructions though, I can just imagine an actual Olympic gold medallist making me feel hopelessly inferior. Think I'll start off with Sarah Millican: "Sometimes I'd rather be eating cake than running"- yep, that's more my style, I'll have your chirpy Geordie tones in my ears please.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 01, 2021, 05:15:48 PM
Could we make a Spotify running playlist please?

The NHS Couch To 5K podcast includes music at the right tempo and the right length for each run/walk. There's nothing in there I'm familiar with and I assumed that's because I'm an old person but now I know it's because all the tracks were produced especially for the app:

https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/718553/is-there-a-track-list-for-couch-to-5k-podcast

Nothing I'd rush out and buy but it's nicely varied and it all works, and I guess the motivational lyrics (lots of stuff about being stronger and faster and how today's going to be the greatest day and you're going to make it etc) are deliberate.

Couple of free Couch To 5K mixes here (WARNING: may contain Coldplay):

https://carlifierce.com/5k-training-downloads/week-1-c25k/

I'm sure plenty of others are available.

Been thinking of doing a few themed workouts- not sure about Jazzercise but Ninetiesercise, Baroque Poppercise and Gay Discocise would probably work for me.

jobotic

Probably not a good idea to have headphones in to run is it? Unless you're on a treadmill.

I'm not trying to be self-righteous. At one point I used to wear headphones to cycle (!) until I went down a country lane oblivious to the fact that there was a fire engine stuck behind me. I thought the siren was part of the mix.Sp I'm a dick. But is it safe?

jaydee81

I run circuits round my local park with headphones on, they keep my ridiculously long hair out of my face and also obscure the people shouting abuse at me.

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 01, 2021, 06:55:22 PM
Not sure I can handle Michael Johnson giving me instructions though, I can just imagine an actual Olympic gold medallist making me feel hopelessly inferior. Think I'll start off with Sarah Millican: "Sometimes I'd rather be eating cake than running"- yep, that's more my style, I'll have your chirpy Geordie tones in my ears please.

See I had this exact thought process, but I don't think Millican could really inspire me when she said 'if you have anything left in this last minute, go for it' or 'great job'. Come on Sarah, you're just sat in a VO booth in Soho aren't you? Go on, try Michael. I swear you won't go back.

Couch to 5K wise, it has succeeded in getting me to use BBC Sounds more. I'm basically looking for something familiar enough that it inspires me, but not too familiar that I get bored. I've listened to a few Nemone 6Mixes and Diplo+friends which has been OK. I've started using my own Spotify mix and I'm quickly working out which tracks need dropping.

Blue Jam

I do my running in a great big park, staying well away from roads and pavements, and I try and keep to the quieter paths (partly because of Covid, partly out of self-consciousness). Never had any problems, there are loads of runners and cyclists about and I think people expect them and people generally seem to be quite good at the ol' social distancing. I have however had a few near-misses when I'm walking round a certain corner near my flat- there's a high wall which makes it a blind bend and I've had a few runners almost smack into me. Also a few pavement cyclists doing the same, grrrrr.

I would never wear earphones when cycling.

The worst thing for me though is people walking along the Innocent Railway path while wearing headphones, with their dog walking beside them, off the lead, and neither human nor doggo wearing hi-vis. It's quite a narrow and steep path and not terribly well-lit and it's scary when you're going down it at speed and the person walking in front of you isn't responding to your bicycle bell at all, and then a cute little doggo jumps out and tries to run under your wheels *brrrrr*. I did once see a dog walker who not only had their dog on the lead but had also put a cute little hi-vis jacket on their doggo, but I have seen that exactly once. It's a nice part of Embra but really not ideal for dog walking.

jaydee81

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 01, 2021, 07:32:32 PM
https://healthunlocked.com/couchto5k/posts/718553/is-there-a-track-list-for-couch-to-5k-podcast

I've read this and now I'm intrigued by the song 'You and Julie'. It sounds like the NHS made some library music which is somehow more addictive than the movie in Infinite Jest.

Blue Jam

I think this is the one:

https://youtu.be/9la1N-T9mlg

It's better than The Killers, to be fair.

jobotic

Yeah fair enough if you're in parks.

I would never cycle with headphones in but stupidly that wasn't always the case.

Headphones piss me off flapping about nd falling out anyway.

jaydee81

I have a SONY pair that go over my ears and don't wobble about. They do make my ears sweat like a pig (with sweaty ears) though.

El Unicornio, mang

It's actually illegal in Florida, of all places, to ride a bicycle (or any means of transport) while wearing headphones. Riding a motorbike without a helmet on the freeway with a gun (and texting while you're doing it, until last year), no problem.

JaDanketies

I've ran with wired headphones but they do have a tendency to get in the way and rip out of your ears. I prefer to use wireless DJ-size massive ear-muff-style headphones - especially because the band that connects the earpieces together also acts as a headband and keeps my hair out of my face. I've experienced fleeting thoughts about how the earpieces might get sweaty and smelly but they seem to be made out of some water-resistant plasticy fabric.

Do the coaches just talk to you? I prefer listening to some high-tempo music.

MojoJojo

I have Treks bone conducting headphones for running - they don't go in your ears, so less gross for sweat and you keep a bit more awareness. Also means I just have to press the button on the side to have completely unobscured hearing.

Quote from: JaDanketies on March 02, 2021, 10:16:53 AM
Do the coaches just talk to you? I prefer listening to some high-tempo music.

The podcast has high tempo music. It's actually specially designed running music in that the tempo is supposed to be your step pace for running at an efficient speed. It's a whole category of music.

Blue Jam

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 01, 2021, 08:12:08 PM
See I had this exact thought process, but I don't think Millican could really inspire me when she said 'if you have anything left in this last minute, go for it' or 'great job'. Come on Sarah, you're just sat in a VO booth in Soho aren't you? Go on, try Michael. I swear you won't go back.

Just tried to open Run #1, Week 3 but the app told me Sarah Millican isn't available for that week so I must choose another trainer, then I tried to choose Michael Johnson but it told me I didn't have enough storage space on my brand new phone with 128gb to be filled. Just reinstalled the app and got Coach Johnson ready to spur me on to Olympic gold now, just got to get some music on my phone and get my scallytastic Adidas hoodie on am I'm all set.

App is buggy as fuck, yes.

buttgammon

I reached a lull in my thesis work this morning so decided to go for a run. Despite it being the first time in ages, it wasn't horrible. I did it slowly - only running for a minute at a time with walk breaks - and it was actually okay. The biggest problem was actually the cold. I was going to wear shorts but decided to go with some tights that I didn't even know I had; even so, it was bloody freezing. I also got to remove some racist stickers from the park during the walk breaks, so it was good for the neighbourhood too.

Glad to see the wireless earphone recommendations, because I have a big pair of headphones that's simply too bulky to take out. As it happens, I took my old iPod and some wired earphones, but I ordered a thing to put my phone in, so I'll have to get some proper wireless ones for when that comes.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 02, 2021, 11:14:04 AM
I have Treks bone conducting headphones for running -

Have demo'd Aftershokz at in store display (risking skull covid) and they are great fit for purpose. Not sure I can justify the price. Tried 2 different knock-offs from Amazon, 1 sounded bad and was too small the other had something loose in one side and buzzed.

jaydee81

Quote from: buttgammon on March 02, 2021, 11:36:10 AM
The biggest problem was actually the cold. I was going to wear shorts but decided to go with some tights that I didn't even know I had

If quarantine has taught me one thing, it's to not give a toss what I look like when I go running. I didn't have any tracksuit bottoms at first so ran in my pyjamas for the first few weeks.

Blue Jam

For me it's all about practicality with the clothes. It's nippy out at the moment and it's also suprisingly hard to find women's running clothes with decent-sized pockets. I need something to put my massive phone and my inhaler in that isn't a bumbag.

Running jackets with pockets seem preferable to leggings, especially if they've got thumb holes. Also I've got my fleece-lined leggings on today, got a few cheapo pairs from TK Maxx and they've been a godsend. Got the warmer of the two running tops on, plus some trainers which were also from the Adidas Outlet- some bargains to be had there. You can't skimp on the trainers if you don't want to knacker your knees.

Also, men who wear running tights, you do wear shorts over them, right? ;)

buttgammon

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 02, 2021, 01:08:28 PM
For me it's all about practicality with the clothes. It's nippy out at the moment and it's also suprisingly hard to find women's running clothes with decent-sized pockets. I need something to put my massive phone and my inhaler in that isn't a bumbag.

Running jackets with pockets seem preferable to leggings, especially if they've got thumb holes. Also I've got my fleece-lined leggings on today, got a few cheapo pairs from TK Maxx and they've been a godsend. Got the warmer of the two running tops on, plus some trainers which were also from the Adidas Outlet- some bargains to be had there. You can't skimp on the trainers if you don't want to knacker your knees.

Erm...

in my defence, I had a long top on. Also, having removed the racist stickers, I felt entitled to add some of my own visual pollution to the park.

JamesTC

After resting a few days to see if my calf and ankle pain would alleviate, yesterday's mild 3 mile run was fucking horrible. By the end, my feet were going numb. Looked it up and was quite worried by some possible causes, but it seemed most likely to be trapped nerves. I had only been using new shoes for a week and had been using calf sleeves for around three weeks so I believed it could be one of them.

Went on my run today and decided to use no calf sleeves and old shoes and it was a breezy 5 mile run with hardly any lasting strain in my ankle. Clearly it is one of the shoes or calf sleeves. I'm inclined to think it is the calf sleeves as I have bulbous Shaqiri calves which were barely in the size range for the largest available sleeves.

Huge relief I'll be able to get back to 6 mile runs for the rest of the week.

Blue Jam

Finished Couch To 5K week 3, run #1 earlier. The workout itself was surprisingly alright (thanks, Michael Johnson and jaydee81) but a few minutes after I got home I was coughing like a mofo and properly wheezing. Had to have a good huff of Ventolin and a sit down. Lately I've been using the ol' blue inhaler to open the pipes on occasion but I hadn't actually been wheezy for ages so that was a bit of a worry. Think I might call my GP for some advice but don't want to waste any precious NHS resources right now. Need to get my lung strength up though.

Actually felt good immediately after the last run though! Up to a whopping three minutes at a time now, and for me that's incredible.

Dex Sawash

I wear the womens tights so no shorts needed.

Cuellar

I wish I could just wear leggings while exercising. Might start tucking.

Dex Sawash

Once you experience the comfort of the wider waistband made of same stuff as the legs you won't care about the tuck. I'm in ladies compression pants year round now. Just get the smallest ones that the seams don't pop.

jaydee81

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 02, 2021, 06:16:23 PM
Me on my daily jog

I mean you joke, but I can't believe how much of a running bore I've become in 2 months.
Yes I'm still running the day after consuming a medium pepperoni Papa John's pizza, followed by most of a small pepperoni, but I can't actually believe after all these years thinking that runners were pricks and that it wasn't enjoyable, how addictive running actually is.

I'm going to start twatting on about Michael Johnson in Couch to 5K, but I did my first 25 minute run (Week 6 run 3 I think) and when he said 'one minute left, go for it' I totally felt like I had an entire new gear that I didn't know I had, and I was running like that Rocky gif above. Now, what I actually looked like is quite a different matter. But I came home and I felt like I was on MDMA. I had a runners high and now I find myself chasing it, whereas in January I was puffing when it came up to my 6th one minute run of the session.

I am now obsessed with my Strava pace per minute.

I have quite a good running belt that fits my phone and keys in, not sure about an inhaler. It is essentially a bumbag. What have I become?

bgmnts

I mean, I played football three times a week between the ages of 6 and 16 and even then I found running absolutely abhorrent. That's only increased as I've withered into old age and gained enough weight to kill a human. The notion of it being addictive is laughable to me. Maybe it's genetic?

Blue Jam

Quote from: jaydee81 on March 03, 2021, 12:29:48 PM
I mean you joke, but I can't believe how much of a running bore I've become in 2 months.

I'm going to start twatting on about Michael Johnson in Couch to 5K, but I did my first 25 minute run (Week 6 run 3 I think) and when he said 'one minute left, go for it' I totally felt like I had an entire new gear that I didn't know I had, and I was running like that Rocky gif above. Now, what I actually looked like is quite a different matter. But I came home and I felt like I was on MDMA. I had a runners high and now I find myself chasing it, whereas in January I was puffing when it came up to my 6th one minute run of the session.

I am now obsessed with my Strava pace per minute.

Michael Johnson telling me I had one minute to go yesterday had a similar effect on me. Not tempted to get a Garmin or anything like that and become one of those runners, but a bit worried I might go a bit Ronnie O'Sullivan and become a running bore myself.

Got my pulse oximeter and my peak flow meter to measure my progress, it's all about health for me.

QuoteI have quite a good running belt that fits my phone and keys in, not sure about an inhaler. It is essentially a bumbag. What have I become?

I know they're practical but as a child of the 90's I just couldn't bring myself to wear one. Yesterday I saw a woman in a shellsuit top. She looked about 20 and must have bought it from a vintage place. That made me feel old enough, ta.