Author Topic: Anyone else getting fit in Covid?  (Read 2988 times)

Re: Anyone else getting fit in Covid?
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »
Unbelievably, started doing Wii Fit daily during the furlough days, did fuck all to weight but maybe it stopped me getting fatter, hard to tell.  Quite enjoyed the yoga.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

• Muscular and compact, like corned beef
« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:51 PM »
Pull-ups are great!
This is kind of relevant, I guess - someone mentioned pull-ups earlier!
It was me! The lesson here is I'm always right.

imitationleather

• "The French... are famous... for their kissing"
    • http://last.fm/user/ImiLeathr
« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
I hate a lot of people I meet now but I'm reassured that they will all die, most during my lifetime, and I'll get to enjoy the news. Aww. So sad. 😂😂😂

Well this doesn't seem very zen.

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2020, 09:48:55 PM »
Realised I can barely do a double chin anymore.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

• Living proof of everything wrong with the world
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
I bought Nintendo Ring Fit right before second lockdown and it's the best thing I could've done for myself. I haven't lost any weight but it's making me sweat properly and my heart beat fast, and I've regained some of the definition I'd lost over the first lockdown. I'm also starting to like jogging.

« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2020, 10:27:24 AM »
Pull-ups are great! In a few months, I've gone from being able to do 0 to around 5 or 6 in a row with ease - proper ones too, from a dead hang position to chin over the bar. I've been going to the gym for a couple of years now and have always done lots of heavy pulling exercises with good form, but was never able to translate this strength to pull-ups. I actually realised that I wasn't lacking the strength, but the technique - although losing 12 kg certainly helped, too. The light-bulb moment was realising the pull-up is primarily a back exercise, so I started to really focus on activating my back and lats and I fairly shot up to the bar.

Once I can do 10 pull-ups in a row, muscle-ups are my next goal!

This is kind of relevant, I guess - someone mentioned pull-ups earlier!

Also a big fan of pullups. The effect on my physique was massive from doing them regularly, not even doing colossal amounts. I can do about 15 proper ones currently in each grip at a time, have dreamed of muscle ups but i think that's a fair way off!

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2020, 11:00:56 AM »
Pull up question - I don't have door frames that fit to my pull up bar any more (I have BIG DOORZ). I do however have a sturdy ledge above one of my doors that are situated in the corner of a room. Basically I can do a pull up motion, but my hands would be resting flat on top of the ledge.

Instead of my hands forming a grip like a C around a bar with my thumb, they're resting 'on top' of the ledge like an inverted capital L, and my thumbs don't grip.

Is this a safe/effective exercise? It certainly feels like a normal pull up in terms of back muscle being worked etc

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »
Pull up question - I don't have door frames that fit to my pull up bar any more (I have BIG DOORZ). I do however have a sturdy ledge above one of my doors that are situated in the corner of a room. Basically I can do a pull up motion, but my hands would be resting flat on top of the ledge.

Instead of my hands forming a grip like a C around a bar with my thumb, they're resting 'on top' of the ledge like an inverted capital L, and my thumbs don't grip.

Is this a safe/effective exercise? It certainly feels like a normal pull up in terms of back muscle being worked etc

I'm not sure, it's probably roughly the same I would imagine. Only issue is you can't do the other grip
You could get a pullup bar that fits with a couple of little screws into a door frame rather than hooking over the top. Much more secure, and you can remove the bar part easily so it's not an eyesore.

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2020, 11:31:30 AM »
I'm not sure, it's probably roughly the same I would imagine. Only issue is you can't do the other grip
You could get a pullup bar that fits with a couple of little screws into a door frame rather than hooking over the top. Much more secure, and you can remove the bar part easily so it's not an eyesore.

Yeah, thought about that, landlord issues though :/ Already pushing our luck with things we've drilled into and changed as it is.

bgmnts

• Depressed to the point of poisonous toxicity.
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
Remembered again why I utterly fucking hate the gym. Almost empty yet there's always some cunt on some machine I want to use doing a few reps and then spending five minutes on their phone, repeating that for half an hour.

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2020, 12:56:27 PM »
Remembered again why I utterly fucking hate the gym. Almost empty yet there's always some cunt on some machine I want to use doing a few reps and then spending five minutes on their phone, repeating that for half an hour.

Just say "Excuse me mate can I just jump in and use that while you're resting?" or "Can we alternate please?"

BUT DON'T WHILE THE GYMS ARE CLOSED OBVS LOL

Blue Jam

• COLOSSAL DESSERT TOWER
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2020, 01:50:55 PM »
Cut down my daily dose of venlafaxine to 75%. Already losing weight without even trying. I wish I'd known venlafaxine turns you into a big sweaty beach ball a year ago.

« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2020, 02:52:07 PM »

This is fine but a little tougher because the grip isn't ideal. May give you monster hench hands, if that's what you're into. Obviously make sure the ledge can hold your weight!

I also advise any pull up enthusiasts start incorporating a 1 minute dead hang into the start of your session. Burns like a bastard at the end but has done loads for my tight back and recurring rotator cuff niggles.

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2020, 03:24:16 PM »
Yeah, I think this is how climbers/boulderers often practice pull-ups because it more closely resembles the grip you need for climbing.

« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
Off into the cold, draughty garage shortly to do a bit - bench presses and barbell rows tonight. I’d do pull-ups too but unfortunately l’m too fat/weak I’ve got nowhere to fit a pull-up bar.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

• Living proof of everything wrong with the world
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2020, 06:01:07 PM »
Perennial complaint of my strength training coach. "'Oh I spent two hours in the gym' - how did you spend two hours in the gym and not even sweat?! Do a couple of reps and then take pictures for Instagram!"

« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »
Ego Lifting: “The act of lifting heavy weights for the sole purpose of impressing other people in the room, usually done with awful form and gratuitous grunting noises.”

I’m sure none of the CaB gym-goers would be guilty of this sort of stupid behaviour.

For example, nobody here would let their ego take over and try to bench press too much weight, despite there being nobody else present to “impress”, with the result that they wake up the next morning with stabbing pains down the right side of the neck and into the shoulder blade, making breathing painful.

Not sure why I posted this random scenario because, as I said, nobody here would be stupid enough to do this. I certainly wouldn’t.

Tags: