Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Gregory

Unbelievably, started doing Wii Fit daily during the furlough days, did fuck all to weight but maybe it stopped me getting fatter, hard to tell.  Quite enjoyed the yoga.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 20, 2020, 04:02:08 PM
Pull-ups are great!
This is kind of relevant, I guess - someone mentioned pull-ups earlier!
It was me! The lesson here is I'm always right.

imitationleather

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 21, 2020, 06:35:25 PM
I hate a lot of people I meet now but I'm reassured that they will all die, most during my lifetime, and I'll get to enjoy the news. Aww. So sad. 😂😂😂

Well this doesn't seem very zen.

JamesTC

Realised I can barely do a double chin anymore.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

I bought Nintendo Ring Fit right before second lockdown and it's the best thing I could've done for myself. I haven't lost any weight but it's making me sweat properly and my heart beat fast, and I've regained some of the definition I'd lost over the first lockdown. I'm also starting to like jogging.

thugler

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 20, 2020, 04:02:08 PM
Pull-ups are great! In a few months, I've gone from being able to do 0 to around 5 or 6 in a row with ease - proper ones too, from a dead hang position to chin over the bar. I've been going to the gym for a couple of years now and have always done lots of heavy pulling exercises with good form, but was never able to translate this strength to pull-ups. I actually realised that I wasn't lacking the strength, but the technique - although losing 12 kg certainly helped, too. The light-bulb moment was realising the pull-up is primarily a back exercise, so I started to really focus on activating my back and lats and I fairly shot up to the bar.

Once I can do 10 pull-ups in a row, muscle-ups are my next goal!

This is kind of relevant, I guess - someone mentioned pull-ups earlier!

Also a big fan of pullups. The effect on my physique was massive from doing them regularly, not even doing colossal amounts. I can do about 15 proper ones currently in each grip at a time, have dreamed of muscle ups but i think that's a fair way off!

ASFTSN

Pull up question - I don't have door frames that fit to my pull up bar any more (I have BIG DOORZ). I do however have a sturdy ledge above one of my doors that are situated in the corner of a room. Basically I can do a pull up motion, but my hands would be resting flat on top of the ledge.

Instead of my hands forming a grip like a C around a bar with my thumb, they're resting 'on top' of the ledge like an inverted capital L, and my thumbs don't grip.

Is this a safe/effective exercise? It certainly feels like a normal pull up in terms of back muscle being worked etc

thugler

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 24, 2020, 11:00:56 AM
Pull up question - I don't have door frames that fit to my pull up bar any more (I have BIG DOORZ). I do however have a sturdy ledge above one of my doors that are situated in the corner of a room. Basically I can do a pull up motion, but my hands would be resting flat on top of the ledge.

Instead of my hands forming a grip like a C around a bar with my thumb, they're resting 'on top' of the ledge like an inverted capital L, and my thumbs don't grip.

Is this a safe/effective exercise? It certainly feels like a normal pull up in terms of back muscle being worked etc

I'm not sure, it's probably roughly the same I would imagine. Only issue is you can't do the other grip
You could get a pullup bar that fits with a couple of little screws into a door frame rather than hooking over the top. Much more secure, and you can remove the bar part easily so it's not an eyesore.

ASFTSN

Quote from: thugler on November 24, 2020, 11:23:32 AM
I'm not sure, it's probably roughly the same I would imagine. Only issue is you can't do the other grip
You could get a pullup bar that fits with a couple of little screws into a door frame rather than hooking over the top. Much more secure, and you can remove the bar part easily so it's not an eyesore.

Yeah, thought about that, landlord issues though :/ Already pushing our luck with things we've drilled into and changed as it is.

bgmnts

Remembered again why I utterly fucking hate the gym. Almost empty yet there's always some cunt on some machine I want to use doing a few reps and then spending five minutes on their phone, repeating that for half an hour.

ASFTSN

Quote from: bgmnts on November 24, 2020, 12:26:02 PM
Remembered again why I utterly fucking hate the gym. Almost empty yet there's always some cunt on some machine I want to use doing a few reps and then spending five minutes on their phone, repeating that for half an hour.

Just say "Excuse me mate can I just jump in and use that while you're resting?" or "Can we alternate please?"

BUT DON'T WHILE THE GYMS ARE CLOSED OBVS LOL

Blue Jam

Cut down my daily dose of venlafaxine to 75%. Already losing weight without even trying. I wish I'd known venlafaxine turns you into a big sweaty beach ball a year ago.

Bernice

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 24, 2020, 11:00:56 AM

This is fine but a little tougher because the grip isn't ideal. May give you monster hench hands, if that's what you're into. Obviously make sure the ledge can hold your weight!

I also advise any pull up enthusiasts start incorporating a 1 minute dead hang into the start of your session. Burns like a bastard at the end but has done loads for my tight back and recurring rotator cuff niggles.

Neville Chamberlain

Yeah, I think this is how climbers/boulderers often practice pull-ups because it more closely resembles the grip you need for climbing.

Off into the cold, draughty garage shortly to do a bit - bench presses and barbell rows tonight. I'd do pull-ups too but unfortunately l'm too fat/weak I've got nowhere to fit a pull-up bar.

Perennial complaint of my strength training coach. "'Oh I spent two hours in the gym' - how did you spend two hours in the gym and not even sweat?! Do a couple of reps and then take pictures for Instagram!"

Ego Lifting: "The act of lifting heavy weights for the sole purpose of impressing other people in the room, usually done with awful form and gratuitous grunting noises."

I'm sure none of the CaB gym-goers would be guilty of this sort of stupid behaviour.

For example, nobody here would let their ego take over and try to bench press too much weight, despite there being nobody else present to "impress", with the result that they wake up the next morning with stabbing pains down the right side of the neck and into the shoulder blade, making breathing painful.

Not sure why I posted this random scenario because, as I said, nobody here would be stupid enough to do this. I certainly wouldn't.

Ray Travez

not sure I'm getting fitter, but I'm slowly getting slimmer- have a two hour eating window in the evening, mainly fruit and low-fat stuff.

I've been supplementing vitamin D for years at 4,000 IU a day (during Winter), but I'm wondering if I should drop the amount to 400 or so. I've read that there might be complications with the higher doses; that they might decrease bone density. Need to read the latest studies.

I.D. Smith

I've got worse during Covid. I was no super athlete, but I was reasonably fit before all this, with a mixture of lifting weights and treadmill running at the gym that I'd been doing regularly for years throughout my 30s. But since lockdown and all the gyms closing, I've lost all motivation to work out.

Something I've realised is that I seem to only be able to work out proper at the gym. It seems more of a chore to use the dumbbells in my bedroom which are about 2 feet away from my chair, than it is to get changed into gym clothes and drive all the way to my gym. Probably the lack of a bench means I'm limited in what I can actually do at home, so it kind of kills my motivation. I also find running outside harder and less enjoyable than just running on treadmill. I think it's because on a treadmill I can just zone out and listen to my music, whereas outside I'm constantly on high alert for traffic, slippy bits of pavement and dog dirt, so it feels a more stressful exercise.

Having said all that, I have been making a more conscious effort recently to get back into exercise more seriously. 40 is approaching and that, coupled with a recent unexpected death of friend, has made me a bit more aware of my own mortality and responsibility for my own health. I still had 3 Wispa Golds today, though. 

frajer

Got fittest I've been in over a decade during the summer months through a lot of cycling, and putting a stop to solo demolishing "share" bags of crisps.

Managed to maintain for a while but I'm officially piling it back on now. Had an entire big bag of Flamin' Hot Doritos for lunch yesterday, didn't even give it a second thought.

Should probably fire up MyFitnessPal again as holding myself accountable via cold, hard numbers to all the calorific shit I eat is the only thing that keeps me in check.

El Unicornio, mang

I've put on about a stone in the past six months, now 12 stone at 5'11" which isn't really overweight but it tends to go to my tummy and face so I'm trying to eat healthier. I was at about 8 stone three years ago, a barely functioning skeleton, just because of having gone through a rough couple of years and not eating, and that's far far worse than being a bit overweight.

As far as general fitness goes, I'm fitter than I think I've ever been as an adult. Quit smoking two years ago, barely drink anymore, and have an exercise routine I do every night, and long brisk walks when it's nice out (that's not often, sadly). I do have to force myself to do it as I'm naturally a lazy person, but I'm always glad when I do, it never fails to make me happier. I can understand why people get addicted to it.

katzenjammer

I on the other utterly fucking hate the gym because even though I only ever spend a minute resting in between sets there's always some sweaty cunt that gets arsey because I don't want to alternate and mess up my rhythm, even though I tell them I'll only be five minutes more

Blue Jam

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 10, 2021, 01:19:42 AM
Yeah, fuck off Joe Wicks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55601215

The irony being that Bez's dancing would be more like PE than HIIT. Joe Wicks is essentially Ben Stiller's character in the film Dodgeball.

amateur

Quote from: I.D. Smith on November 29, 2020, 06:02:31 PMI also find running outside harder and less enjoyable than just running on treadmill. I think it's because on a treadmill I can just zone out and listen to my music, whereas outside I'm constantly on high alert for traffic, slippy bits of pavement and dog dirt, so it feels a more stressful exercise.

I absolutely have to go running outside for all the reasons above - I need distractions, pace changes and obstacles or I lose all interest in the squalid little affair.

A white van intentionally splashed me about 4k into a run yesterday, it was exhilarating.

Lost a bit of discipline during lockdowns I and II. Aiming to get three runs a week in and have stopped boozing until March. Done this for the last couple of years and serves as a decent reset.

Not prepared to let the 'rona or, even worse, the tories put me off my self improvement goals.

GMTV

Mulling over wasting money on a rowing machine for home. Makes perfect sense just now. Will definitely use it all time and get really fit.

So if anyone wants to buy a barely used rowing machine in a years time let me know.

Dex Sawash

Ordered a new stainless steel chain for my rower to replace the rusty original mild steel one. Rad as fuck. 

Doing Ring Fit Adventure five days a week now. Drinking 1.5-2L water a day. Lost 3.5lb in the last two weeks.

bgmnts

Losing weight is a borderline impossibility for me anyway, but the shit cold has aggravated my permanent cough into something unbearable. Not even maintaining during The Covid. Warm weather please.