Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:40:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone else getting fit in Covid?

Started by Johnny Textface, November 07, 2020, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Hope you feel better soon bgmnts

I'm trying to do 60 press ups and 60 sit ups and some free weights every second day. Started with 20 press ups and 20 sits up a few weeks ago and have built it up to 60 of each. Getting pretty bored of it. My knees aren't great so don't really want to do squats.

Walking wise it's hard to motivate myself to do it if it isn't sunny, since I've walked everywhere locally dozens of times before. Managed to drag myself out yesterday for a short walk and for a slightly longer one today.

JaDanketies

Gone from 14st 2 on January 4th to 13st 3 today. Cut back on everything and exercising for 30 to 40 minutes at least four times a week. Running up and down hills, doing steps, pull ups, high knees, jumping, those things where you hold your arms out until they ache - trying to make it as high-intensity as I can, so when I get exhausted running up a hill then I do the arm thing and some high knees on the way down again.

With gainz like this, Hollywood buffness is in reach. I would love it if I could see all of my pubis; i.e if my gut was largely flat.

I run about outside, listening to music on my headphones, and I might toot a vape at the start and smoke a bong near the end, so it's actually one of the most pleasant parts of my day.

phantom_power

I got really fit last year. I started doing Joe Wicks every day with the kids to keep them active and then carried on and started doing harder workouts. Then over Christmas got the vid, had no energy for a month and now am back to being flabby mess again. I will get back on that horse eventually but it is quite hard to get into that routine again

JaDanketies

yeah in summer I got pretty fit doing the Insanity workout plan for about 7 of the 9 weeks you're supposed to do it for. I feel a bit more optimistic that these gainz will be lasting, though. I need a lifestyle change and recent bloodwork suggests that I've got a body that is prone to falling apart, just like my dad and his father before him.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: sirhenry on February 01, 2021, 12:42:45 PM
Good to see it's not just me: https://www.reddit.com/r/RingFitAdventure/comments/kzev3g/my_legs_are_a_bit_tired_but_i_can_do_one_more/
Yes. Accurate.

Every time Tipp asks me if I want to put the difficulty up I hesitate and then hear my strength and conditioning coach barking at me.

Blue Jam

Might give the Couch To 5K thing ago, just subscribed to it via my podcast app. Realised the reason I always hated running was exercise-induced asthma and it wasn't mere lack of fitness making me feel out of breath and like absolute crap afterwards.

Had a bit of a scare this week after a chest infection (confirmed as Not The 'Vid) caused a really nasty attack and one emergency GP visit later I now have a steroid-based preventer inhaler. Obviously I won't be able to go back to exercising right away but once I've had a couple of puffs every morning (ooooh, pardon!) for a couple of weeks and the 'roids kick in I might attempt Week 1 and try a gentle jog round the shared garden where fewer people can laugh at me. A bit of a Captain Tom pace to start off with, hopefully I won't end up like Captain Tom though.

What do you peeps who have done CT5K reckon then? I'm not too optimistic as I can't imagine ever enjoying running but I really do need to sort my fitness levels out, my lung health in particular. Heart, blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fine apparently, it's my chesticular windbags that are letting the side down.

Schrodingers Cat

I made very half hearted attempt at getting fit at the start of the first lockdown which didn't last long. At the time I thought I was somewhere around 100ish kg, but looking back was probably more like 110khlg. But by August, I was getting close to 120kg (I'm not sure exactly what I got to, I know I was definitely over 118kg, but not sure how much more). Once the lockdown eased in the summer and rugby training restarted, I quickly got back down below 110kg. However, in November I started getting back into weight lifting for the first time in years. Starting with just a couple of times a week, then becoming before work mon-fri from the first week in January, and I spent my Xmas money on a bike, which I've been out on at least a couple of times a week since.

I'm now down to about 97kg, which I think is the first time I've been below 100kg as an adult. The sad thing noone tells you is that as you start to lose weight, you just become more and more acutely aware of the weight you still have to lose. I've lost about 20kg and I could easily stand to lose another 10 or more. My target now is to get to below 90kg (as close to 85kg as I can get) then look to increase my calories back up and try (lean) bulking back to about 95kg again. Though this of course pretty long term, and not something I expect to achieve soon, but it is doable. This time last year that wouldn't have sounded realistic to me, but I'm actually fairly confident I can manage this. Although, I have injured my shoulder this week, and previously I might have lost my rhythm  and stopped, but I still got up early this morning just to go for a run at 6AM as I couldn't do any weight lifting! What have I become?!

bgmnts

To be honest, as someone who has finally come to terms with just being a bigger, wider, thicker bloke, I'd bite your hand off to be 97kg. I'd have assumed 97kg for a rugby player isn't that bad?

JamesTC

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 05, 2021, 01:20:31 AM

What do you peeps who have done CT5K reckon then? I'm not too optimistic as I can't imagine ever enjoying running but I really do need to sort my fitness levels out, my lung health in particular. Heart, blood pressure, cholesterol etc are all fine apparently, it's my chesticular windbags that are letting the side down.

I did my own version of C25K really. Early on I felt like it would be too much for me, so I thought I would take it slower (as I was obese when starting it out) but actually I was then surprised how quickly I was able to build my stamina up. Honestly when I started I was breathless after 30 seconds of running but a few weeks in and I was able to run two or three minutes in intervals. You just continue to build up and build up trying to push yourself that extra minute or two every week. Eventually I was running six periods of five minute runs and I just combined that to make three ten minute runs and then eventually I was running 30 minutes without stopping. Then it was a matter of adding an extra five minutes to the run every week.

I think the key is taking it at your own pace. A light jog still builds up stamina, so don't think you need to run as quickly as you can. When I started it was 5-5.5 mph. Now I am still only around 6mph. Even then I find myself faster than some runners on the street. Trying to do too much too soon could cause injuries or could just demotivate.

After four months of running I was even able to do a half-marathon. I wasn't quick, but I got it done.

Since the start of the year I have tried to remain consistent with running 6 miles every day. I am starting to see my pace improve without trying.

One surprising thing that has come from the running is I have grown an inch in height. I was 6ft 1.5 and now I am 6ft 2.5. Apparently it is to do with working the core that causes it.

thugler

Quote from: JamesTC on February 05, 2021, 11:36:36 AM
I did my own version of C25K really. Early on I felt like it would be too much for me, so I thought I would take it slower (as I was obese when starting it out) but actually I was then surprised how quickly I was able to build my stamina up. Honestly when I started I was breathless after 30 seconds of running but a few weeks in and I was able to run two or three minutes in intervals. You just continue to build up and build up trying to push yourself that extra minute or two every week. Eventually I was running six periods of five minute runs and I just combined that to make three ten minute runs and then eventually I was running 30 minutes without stopping. Then it was a matter of adding an extra five minutes to the run every week.

I think the key is taking it at your own pace. A light jog still builds up stamina, so don't think you need to run as quickly as you can. When I started it was 5-5.5 mph. Now I am still only around 6mph. Even then I find myself faster than some runners on the street. Trying to do too much too soon could cause injuries or could just demotivate.

After four months of running I was even able to do a half-marathon. I wasn't quick, but I got it done.

Since the start of the year I have tried to remain consistent with running 6 miles every day. I am starting to see my pace improve without trying.

One surprising thing that has come from the running is I have grown an inch in height. I was 6ft 1.5 and now I am 6ft 2.5. Apparently it is to do with working the core that causes it.

6 miles a day is pretty great! I used to love it but I really only get the time/motivation to go a couple of times a week. I'd have to eat some serious dinners to do that distance every day!

Blue Jam

Impressive and motivating stuff JamesTC!

JamesTC

Quote from: thugler on February 05, 2021, 12:11:08 PM
6 miles a day is pretty great! I used to love it but I really only get the time/motivation to go a couple of times a week. I'd have to eat some serious dinners to do that distance every day!

You're not wrong. It is a balancing act eating enough to ease through the six-mile days but also lose 1lb a week.

It does mean I can eat takeaways regularly and still reach my diet/fitness goals which is absolutely lovely.

bgmnts

I just realised I'm going for walks again but they're more like strolls, and it's technically rehabbing. What do you call it if you aren't injured but need to slowly build up from years of inactivity and joint/muscle pain? Is that rehab?

Quote from: bgmnts on February 05, 2021, 02:42:54 PM
What do you call it if you aren't injured but need to slowly build up from years of inactivity and joint/muscle pain? Is that rehab?
I call it "being sensible".

Magnum Valentino

Ring Fit Adventure worth £130? Need to buy joy cons too as I sold mine to buy the pro controller.

Could do with something new, fun, challenging and indoors as the chill has put me off all outdoor exercise except quick walks for the dog but worried this is a gimmick and I'll not get the use of it.

Goal is to lose weight specifically til I get back down to my pre lockdown weight then focus on getting back into lovely running which I miss like a bastard but am too bouncy to even dream of attempting.

Have dreams where I'm running, it's that bad :-(

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 07, 2021, 10:31:29 PM
Ring Fit Adventure worth £130? Need to buy joy cons too as I sold mine to buy the pro controller.

Could do with something new, fun, challenging and indoors as the chill has put me off all outdoor exercise except quick walks for the dog but worried this is a gimmick and I'll not get the use of it.

Goal is to lose weight specifically til I get back down to my pre lockdown weight then focus on getting back into lovely running which I miss like a bastard but am too bouncy to even dream of attempting.

Have dreams where I'm running, it's that bad :-(
I'm normally shit at working out when left to my own devices, but the Adventure mode (the game part of the game) where you run through levels, beat monsters by doing exercises, and fight a steroid-arse dragon at the end of each world has kept me engaged. I've played it four/five times a week since I got it in October. I only took a break over Christmas. If you like videogames you'll use it.

falafel

I can second that.£130 is a bit much but depends how desperate you are to exercise.

Magnum Valentino

Dreamt I was running again after posting that. Suppose I could always sell it on again if I don't get the use of it.

Blue Jam

I just went for a run. For the first time ever I finished a run and didn't feel like death afterwards. It was only Week 1 of Couch To 5K but that's a huge thing for me. Two weeks of being on the ol' steroid inhalers and it looks like they might actually have got my asthma under control.

I wish I'd been diagnosed earlier in life instead of having my teachers write me off as lazy, but I guess this means I'm not condemned to becoming a total Bargearse and there's still hope for me yet.

This is a huge thing for me, feeling a bit overwhelmed right now!

JamesTC

Well done! Glad to hear the asthma isn't causing a problem.

When I started, I really couldn't believe how quickly it all built up. Three runs a week back then but my stamina just kept on rising and rising. You look at the Couch to 5K schedule and think it is unrealistic but your body really does adapt really well.

That said I had my times of feeling like death after a run. The worst was a few weeks in, I had to get out the shower after a morning run to sit down as I started to feel sick and light-headed.

I've been suffering from some calf issues since December. Bought some calf sleeves last week. Due to having near Shaqiri level calves, I had to buy the largest available and was still worried if they would be too small. In the end they fit okay. Have felt a little more strain in the calves whilst running but it is more spread out down the whole calf and I feel no pain afterwards so they seem to have done the trick.

Blue Jam

Quote from: JamesTC on February 15, 2021, 07:50:27 PM
When I started, I really couldn't believe how quickly it all built up. Three runs a week back then but my stamina just kept on rising and rising. You look at the Couch to 5K schedule and think it is unrealistic but your body really does adapt really well.

Just finished run #3 of Week Two. Went from "Urggghh, when is this going to end?" to "Oh, it's ended! That was quick!" by the third repetition of this week's run. Only running for 90 seconds at a time now but considering how wheezy I used to get I'm amazed at my progress. 30 minutes still feels like a stretch but I'm prepared to be surprised...

Just treated myself to a couple of nice warm running jackets with nice big pockets. Need something to put my phone in and didn't want to get one of those armbands. Did briefly ponder a bumbag but snapped right out of that.

Fambo Number Mive

Three hour walk yesterday. The sun helped. I'd done almost all of the walk a few months back though. There's almost nowhere local I haven't walked before. Instead kept a look out for birds to look at and budding plants.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Blue Jam on February 28, 2021, 04:15:57 PM
Just finished run #3 of Week Two. Went from "Urggghh, when is this going to end?" to "Oh, it's ended! That was quick!" by the third repetition of this week's run. Only running for 90 seconds at a time now but considering how wheezy I used to get I'm amazed at my progress. 30 minutes still feels like a stretch but I'm prepared to be surprised...

Just treated myself to a couple of nice warm running jackets with nice big pockets. Need something to put my phone in and didn't want to get one of those armbands. Did briefly ponder a bumbag but snapped right out of that.

Deadly, well done. You'll be able to do it, I managed a few of the thirty minute runs at the end but encountered a series of health setbacks and fell quite completely off the wagon. I've started right over and just finished week one again.

I'm knackered once the podcast program is over but, as I quite like Sanjeev Kohli telling me how well I'm doing and don't think I'll be able to improvise a run without him.

jobotic

I'm the opposite of you lot doing a great job of couch to 5km.

I was a decent runner and I can still run 10km, but I'm slower than I used to be and, more importantly, I just....can't be arsed with it. Which means I don't go very often, which means that when I do I'm fucked afterwards.

JaDanketies

Just finished run #3 of Week Two. Went from "Urggghh, when is this going to end?" to "Oh, it's ended! That was quick!" by the third repetition of this week's run.

Weren't you saying exercise was awful shit  that was impossible to enjoy just a few pages ago? Congratulations! 90 seconds is great; imagine when you didn't exercise if you were late for a bus and had to run for 90 seconds? It's pretty much half a song!

I used to absolutely hate exercise. I remember once playing a bat and ball game - rounders? -  at university and then throwing up. And then not doing it for years. Totally spent every PE lesson on the sidelines with the asthmatics despite having nothing wrong with me.  Apparently the gains in strength are lasting, and if one turns into a static puddle again, it only takes getting off one's arse a few times to get back to prior stamina.

JamesTC

It will get to the point where you are running 30 minutes with intervals. Then the intervals will go down and down and eventually you will find yourself running the whole thing. You're making really amazing progress.

I'm suffering a bit of ankle pain at the moment so haven't ran much in the last week. I'll do 30 minutes tomorrow and then hopefully can get up to the 6 miles a day for the rest of the week.

What I do like about running with the injury is knowing when I have to stop that if it wasn't for a muscle or ligament that I would easily be able to continue. My breathing and heart rate are all fine so I know in that area I am really fit and am at the point where I could even continue after the normal 6 miles.

I have a backpack strapped tight on both shoulders for my keys and phone. Can't be doing with anything in my pockets while I'm running.

Quote from: jobotic on February 28, 2021, 09:35:18 PM
I'm the opposite of you lot doing a great job of couch to 5km.

I was a decent runner and I can still run 10km, but I'm slower than I used to be and, more importantly, I just....can't be arsed with it. Which means I don't go very often, which means that when I do I'm fucked afterwards.

Nothing wrong with being slow. I only go around 6mph myself. Even at a speed I feel is slow, I still find I am a little faster than a good portion of runners. The important thing is getting the miles in, not how fast you run them.

jobotic

Quote from: JamesTC on February 28, 2021, 10:10:19 PM

Nothing wrong with being slow. I only go around 6mph myself. Even at a speed I feel is slow, I still find I am a little faster than a good portion of runners. The important thing is getting the miles in, not how fast you run them.

Similar to me. I know you're right, but I used to be faster goddamit!

buttgammon

I really want to get into running again, and it's just getting the push to actually do it. I used to be able to comfortably run up to about 7 or 8km but having started and stopped a few times over the years, I know how horrible and frustrating it is when you get back into it. If I walk up the stairs to my flat on the fourth floor I get out of breath, so I'm clearly unfit, but reclaiming it is a struggle. I have congenital achilles problems but I've actually found running helps loosen them up if anything; despite this, I've used that as an excuse to myself to put off starting again for ages.

MojoJojo

I'm in the "need to start running again" camp too. Started in 2018 with C25k, but slowly stopped over October/November time and now finding even simple things leave me out of breath so a bit intimidated about starting again. Bought some new shoes so hopefully that will get me back into it.

I might start with C25k again to ease me into it. Part of why I stopped is I had a little break and when I tried again I found it a lot harder than expected and found that disheartening.