Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:26:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Those panel quiz-adjacent shows

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 07, 2020, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Hypothetical, all those Jon Richardson shows, etc.

Are any of them any good? Is it just the same set of comedians rotating between different brightly coloured sets, doing bits of their old standup they've crowbarred into a vague quiz show format?

DrGreggles

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I expect everyone else thinks it's shit for cunts, but I really like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. It's not big or clever (the comedy half of it, anyway) but it makes me laugh.

imitationleather

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 07, 2020, 03:07:18 PM
I expect everyone else thinks it's shit for cunts, but I really like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown. It's not big or clever (the comedy half of it, anyway) but it makes me laugh.

I liked it a lot until I became unable to watch Rachel Riley in stuff.

jobotic

Yeah used to half enjoy it half hate it (Carr) but now won't watch anything with Riley in it. Jon Richardson can do one and all.

notjosh

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 07, 2020, 03:07:18 PM

It has its moments:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8IDmSnD2pzc

Quote from: notjosh on November 07, 2020, 04:24:38 PM
It has its moments:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=8IDmSnD2pzc
WARNING: clip contains James Corden.

Joe Wilkinson reading the penis naming poem absolutely slayed me. Half the hilarity is due to the reaction it receives, so (other than a particularly ribald chatshow) I can't really think of another format in which it would have worked as well.

Quote from: jobotic on November 07, 2020, 03:11:06 PM
Yeah used to half enjoy it half hate it (Carr) but now won't watch anything with Riley in it. Jon Richardson can do one and all.
Fair enough but, what with #MeToo and the like, I've had to learn to enjoy things in spite of the crappiness of any people involved.

royce coolidge

Quote from: imitationleather on November 07, 2020, 03:08:29 PM
I liked it a lot until I became unable to watch Rachel Riley in stuff.

Yes it was watchable,but like you I can't watch anything with Riley now,genuine hatred for the cunt.
And the amount of stuff I liked with even bigger cunt Oberman in it means I have to be ready with the ffwd to avoid
her odious presence.
She's been in loads of good shows,Toast,Friday night dinner,fifteen storeys,a small summer party and big train.
How I hate her.

neveragain

At the risk of derailing the thread, what's Tracey-Ann O done? I half-remember Rachel Riley being anti-semitic... but worry I may have got that arse about.

dissolute ocelot

A lot of these things are definitely cheap filler. Comedy Central seems to be filling entire evenings with the likes of Guessable (Sara Pascoe crosses Pictionary and Would I Lie To You) and Comedy Game Night (Lisa Tarbuck gets people to do silly stuff).

I enjoy Eight Out Of Ten Cats Do Countdown although I entirely understand the Riley-haters (and the Jimmy Carr haters, of course): you have some good people like Sean Lock, Joe Wilkinson, occasional Harry Hill, Johnny Vegas, etc, and a lot of expensive prop-based comedy, plus the joy of Countdown as a game. And of course Taskmaster is very good. The rest of them range a lot from shit to watchable: Comedy Game Night has its moments while Hypothetical has been awful for all I've seen of it. I think it helps if you can understand the rules, and if they have a comedian you like and not always the same fucking big-toothed shiny haired cunts. But it's definitely picking through a lot of chaff to find the gold.

lankyguy95

Don't understand the point of watching 8OO10CDC once the gimmick wore off.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: lankyguy95 on November 07, 2020, 07:40:13 PM
Don't understand the point of watching 8OO10CDC once the gimmick wore off.

I think it's people who enjoy playing along with the panellists and trying to get their own words, but who don't want to watch proper countdown because they aren't 900 years old

lankyguy95

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on November 07, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
I think it's people who enjoy playing along with the panellists and trying to get their own words, but who don't want to watch proper countdown because they aren't 900 years old
I think it's people who still find Jon Richardson going on about being a clean freak funny.

jobotic

To be fair (to me) I never found Richardson funny. He isn't. There were great moments though and Lock is always good.

Remember really laughing at Joe Wilkinson's interactions with Riley years back but now I don't know how anyone who isn't a cunt can bear to be in the same room as her.

Oberman is deranged.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on November 07, 2020, 08:38:11 PM
Also it's easier to beat the panelists on the celebrity version rather than the actual real daytime contestants who are annoyingly, tediously good.

up_the_hampipe

These shows became really oversaturated a while ago. As you say, it's largely the same selection of comics on these bright light-entertainment sets. The games are half-baked and the humour is disgustingly pleasant, unexciting and kooky. Where's the spice, baby?

Gregory Torso

Rob Becket - on a physical, philosophical and conceptual level - is the worst thing to have ever appeared unbidden before me. Like an pro-illiteracy shockwave Fraggle that pops up to bark out you about how proud he is of being thick and how good it feels to hate books. I really like Taskmaster, but it's always seemed like a sort of future showcase buffet of every over-saturated fat dripping Dave comedian soon to be blocking your channels HAIL THE CANNONS THAT SHALL FIRE AND DELIVER US FROM AVALON BOOKING IDENTICUNT DEAD HORSE PANEL BEATERS

jobotic

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 07, 2020, 11:05:40 PM
Rob Becket - on a physical, philosophical and conceptual level - is the worst thing to have ever appeared unbidden before me.

It's great to have you back here Gregory!

Gregory Torso

Thanks mate, and I think our avatars match quite nicely, too!

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: jobotic on November 07, 2020, 11:54:26 PM
It's great to have you back here Gregory!

Agreed.
Can I add that Rob Beckett looks like what happens when a child has been given photoshop and an image of Russell Howard.

chveik

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 07, 2020, 11:05:40 PM
Rob Becket - on a physical, philosophical and conceptual level - is the worst thing to have ever appeared unbidden before me. Like an pro-illiteracy shockwave Fraggle that pops up to bark out you about how proud he is of being thick and how good it feels to hate books. I really like Taskmaster, but it's always seemed like a sort of future showcase buffet of every over-saturated fat dripping Dave comedian soon to be blocking your channels HAIL THE CANNONS THAT SHALL FIRE AND DELIVER US FROM AVALON BOOKING IDENTICUNT DEAD HORSE PANEL BEATERS

thenoise

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 07, 2020, 10:11:21 PM
Also it's easier to beat the panelists on the celebrity version rather than the actual real daytime contestants who are annoyingly, tediously good.

Yes, this sounds about right. We dont like to watch actual good people, makes us feel bad about ourselves. We want to see celebs doing things badly and giggling about it - just like we do!

olliebean

They're just something to keep Dave ticking over now that Taskmaster has gone to Channel 4.

JesusAndYourBush

but I really like 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

After the first ever episode was screened I was disappointed that the following week they didn't do a *different* quiz show.  Now I appreciate that it would be costly to have built a different set each week, but after so many damn series it's grown oh so tedious and they'd be doing themselves a huge favour by sacking off Countdown and doing some other quiz show for a few series.

ProvanFan

Jockice

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 08, 2020, 01:14:41 PM
After the first ever episode was screened I was disappointed that the following week they didn't do a *different* quiz show.  Now I appreciate that it would be costly to have built a different set each week, but after so many damn series it's grown oh so tedious and they'd be doing themselves a huge favour by sacking off Countdown and doing some other quiz show for a few series.

People tend not to believe this, but I've never seen an episode of Countdown in my life. Not even one. I did watch 8 Out Of 10 Cats but has given up on it a while before it joined up with Countdown. Which I've still never seen an episode of.

petril

8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Fluke
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Scavengers
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Catchword
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Dick & Dom in da Bungalow
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Endurance
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Body Heat
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does All Over The Shop, with actual Paul Ross
8 Out Of 10 Cats Does 100%

amateur

There is another one of these, somehow, called Channel Hopping with Jon Richardson which appears to be Tarrant On TV rebranded for 2020.

It's not for me, Clive