Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,207
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 04:47:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Those panel quiz-adjacent shows

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 07, 2020, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: amateur on November 09, 2020, 09:06:52 AM
There is another one of these, somehow, called Channel Hopping with Jon Richardson which appears to be Tarrant On TV rebranded for 2020.

It's not for me, Clive

Jon Richardson takes a wry look at TV. I mean who is crying out for that? Talk about an industry that exists purely to perpetuate itself.

Hat FM

these shows used to be half an hour but dave and comedy central seem to have decided that, no, they should be on for an hour. half an hour of guesssable or hypothetical would be palatable i think but when they are on for an hour it just feels like one of those bad 2.5 hour films.

petril

Quote from: jobotic on November 09, 2020, 10:07:54 AM
Jon Richardson takes a wry look at TV. I mean who is crying out for that? Talk about an industry that exists purely to perpetuate itself.

waiting for a comedian to take a wry look at telly that's just comedians looking at clips of other telly

The Cloud of Unknowing

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 09, 2020, 11:17:13 AM
waiting for a comedian to take a wry look at telly that's just comedians looking at clips of other telly

In Bed With MeSkinner.

Famous Mortimer

I wasn't even thinking of 8OO10CDC, as I quite like it, but yes. The thing that irritates me the most about it is the character comedians they have on in Dictionary Corner - Adam Riches and his "isn't being from Sheffield intrinsically funny" Sean Bean; Morgana Robinson doing her laugh-free take on Natalie Cassidy; that fucking awful prop comic (Spencer Jones); Nick Mohammed (who is apparently funny in other things, but is shit on this); the Brett Domino Trio, etc.

BeardFaceMan

Dictionary Corner has been borderline unwatchable these last few years because of those fucking awful character comics. Dont forget the hospital radio dj doing the same joke over and over.

thenoise

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 09, 2020, 11:17:13 AM

I remember I remember the 80s.

Captain Z

Going over to dictionary corner is the equivalent of when the stand-up comedian grabs his acoustic guitar before the interval.

On the whole I like 8OO10CDC, but I have only recently got back into it during lockdown, catching the odd episode here and there. Still very hit and miss, and you can tell sometimes that Sean and Jon aren't quite up for it. I caught one the other day with Nick Helm - has something happened to him recently? I've only ever been vaguely aware of him but it was as if he was suffering with PTSD or something.

WILTY is the only other one I watch. Usually good value even with poorer guests, my only annoyance is that they never try and make a new guest lie. Every time someone makes their debut, you can guarantee their story will be true. I'm aware that the actual game is not really important to the entertainment value, but can't help think it would be more interesting to try and make some of the non-comedians lie a bit more often.

Watching No More Jockeys makes me think I should try Taskmaster (not sure if that is really a 'panel show'), but still not taken the plunge yet.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Taskmaster is ace. Dive right in.

Quote from: Captain Z on November 09, 2020, 06:36:03 PM
Nick Helm - has something happened to him recently? I've only ever been vaguely aware of him but it was as if he was suffering with PTSD or something.
I think that's just his act.

Rizla

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 07, 2020, 11:05:40 PM
Rob Becket - on a physical, philosophical and conceptual level - is the worst thing to have ever appeared unbidden before me. Like an pro-illiteracy shockwave Fraggle that pops up to bark out you about how proud he is of being thick and how good it feels to hate books. I really like Taskmaster, but it's always seemed like a sort of future showcase buffet of every over-saturated fat dripping Dave comedian soon to be blocking your channels HAIL THE CANNONS THAT SHALL FIRE AND DELIVER US FROM AVALON BOOKING IDENTICUNT DEAD HORSE PANEL BEATERS
He did make me laugh once, when he was presenting Comic Relief a few years ago and he lost a contact lens so had to wear his big thick glasses and the light was reflecting badly off them so he couldn't read his autocue properly, causing him to get properly flummoxed and make a tit of himself, as he does not possess the comedy nous to think on his feet and spin something like that into off-the-cuff laffs.

Hand Solo

WILTY is the only other one I watch. Usually good value even with poorer guests, my only annoyance is that they never try and make a new guest lie. Every time someone makes their debut, you can guarantee their story will be true. I'm aware that the actual game is not really important to the entertainment value, but can't help think it would be more interesting to try and make some of the non-comedians lie a bit more often.

Because with Mitchell and Mack being captains there's hardly ever any more eventful true stories they can use as material on the show therefore nearly every thing they say since the first series is almost always guaranteed to be a lie, so the show would be all lies if they didn't make use of new guests and their fresh implausible anecdotes.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 09, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
Dont forget the hospital radio dj doing the same joke over and over.

Did he start out writing that for the Lee and Herring radio shows? I seem to remember an almost identical bit on one of those shows, albeit performed by Kevin Eldon rather than whoever the 8oo10c guy was.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on November 09, 2020, 10:43:03 PM
Did he start out writing that for the Lee and Herring radio shows? I seem to remember an almost identical bit on one of those shows, albeit performed by Kevin Eldon rather than whoever the 8oo10c guy was.

He was in Fist of Fun so he may have done, its been a long time since I've seen/heard those shows so I dont recall. Fucking hell, that's a long time to be doing one joke.

And the stultifyingly fuck-awful character comics are not even the worst part of Dictionary Corner, that would be Jimmy Carr barking along like he's a seal that just heard it's first ever joke. Very easily pleased, that one.

Ray Travez

Quote from: thenoise on November 09, 2020, 06:30:22 PM
I remember I remember the 80s.

Stuart Maconie takes a sideways glance at the recollections of Stuart Maconie.

Gurke and Hare

WILTY is the only other one I watch.

One of my favourite things about WILTY is that it doesn't rely on the same 10 or so Avalon comedians in rotation. This means that you get a fair few dud guests but I can take that because you also get some pleasant surprises when non-comedians are very funny on it.

paruses

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 10, 2020, 11:50:51 AM
One of my favourite things about WILTY is that it doesn't rely on the same 10 or so Avalon comedians in rotation. This means that you get a fair few dud guests but I can take that because you also get some pleasant surprises when non-comedians are very funny on it.

Was Jamelia an absolute delight on this? Only other thing I can think it would be would be 8cc10c.

Re: Nick Helm - does he count as a character comedian? I like his set (the one I've seen) but wouldn't need to see another, I don't think. Enjoy one visit to Dictionary Corner when he's on.

To be honest I only watch the compilations that Channel 4 put up on YouTube.

I remember when Jimmy Carr started doing his laugh. Can't believe he thought he would have that as his USP. It's shit.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 08, 2020, 01:14:41 PM
After the first ever episode was screened I was disappointed that the following week they didn't do a *different* quiz show.  Now I appreciate that it would be costly to have built a different set each week, but after so many damn series it's grown oh so tedious and they'd be doing themselves a huge favour by sacking off Countdown and doing some other quiz show for a few series.

It did develop out of Channel Four doing a series of cross-overs like Allan Carr being a property expert or someone doing some Davina McCall game show (I thought it was for cancer but apparently not) of which EOOTCDC seemed to be only one that stuck; to be honest I'm not sure what other show Jimmy Carr could usefully do. Maybe 24 Hours In A&E?

But if anyone thinks Dave or Comedy Central has a woeful selection of celeb panel games, try ITV2. Wow, Celebrity Juice is nowhere near the bottom of the barrel. There's one that seems to be nothing but people off TOWIE having a rap battle.

phantom_power

Quote from: paruses on November 10, 2020, 01:06:17 PM
Was Jamelia an absolute delight on this? Only other thing I can think it would be would be 8cc10c.

She was first delightful on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. I think she may have appeared on other panel shows since

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 10, 2020, 01:39:26 PM
I'm not sure what other show Jimmy Carr could usefully do. Maybe 24 Hours In A&E?
(his) Laughter is the best euthenasia.

DrGreggles

Jamelia is a wonderful woman, and I want to protect her.

She was also on a Charlie Brooker C4 quiz thing.

Fambo Number Mive

8 Out of 10 Cats does The Running Man

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 10, 2020, 01:39:26 PM
There's one that seems to be nothing but people off TOWIE having a rap battle.

Ugh, I caught a couple of episodes of some celeb karaoke thing and they kept voting off the good ones and keeping the really dreadful ones who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.

paruses

Quote from: phantom_power on November 10, 2020, 01:53:27 PM
She was first delightful on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. I think she may have appeared on other panel shows since
That sounds right. Didn't they do something weird like have a stalker on in the lineup round. That can't be right but feels like it's not that far off what happened.

Menu

Quote from: Hat FM on November 09, 2020, 11:11:15 AM
these shows used to be half an hour but dave and comedy central seem to have decided that, no, they should be on for an hour. half an hour of guesssable or hypothetical would be palatable i think but when they are on for an hour it just feels like one of those bad 2.5 hour films.

I was going to post the same thing. I'm not much of a fan of these shows anyway but sometimes you want something that you can have on in the background. But when they start lasting over 30 minutes it actually becomes fucking hard work. I've no idea why Dave insists on making their shows an hour long?

Menu

Quote from: paruses on November 10, 2020, 01:06:17 PM

I remember when Jimmy Carr started doing his laugh. Can't believe he thought he would have that as his USP. It's shit.

I've never thought of it like that but you might be right. I remember first hearing it on one of those Great Big Quiz of the Years. Possibly the first one they did? Even though I'd seen Jimmy Carr on lots of things before that I'd never heard him do that laugh before. And, the thing is, the other comedians were all taking the piss out of it so they can't have heard it before either. So, yes! Jimmy Carr must have decided that he wanted to brand himself in some way and decided the best way was to do a fucking seal impression while other people were talking. How queer.

Menu

Quote from: Rizla on November 09, 2020, 06:45:34 PM
He did make me laugh once, when he was presenting Comic Relief a few years ago and he lost a contact lens so had to wear his big thick glasses and the light was reflecting badly off them so he couldn't read his autocue properly, causing him to get properly flummoxed and make a tit of himself, as he does not possess the comedy nous to think on his feet and spin something like that into off-the-cuff laffs.

Oooh never heard of that. Is there video footage?

Captain Z

Quote from: Menu on November 11, 2020, 03:20:21 AM
I was going to post the same thing. I'm not much of a fan of these shows anyway but sometimes you want something that you can have on in the background. But when they start lasting over 30 minutes it actually becomes fucking hard work. I've no idea why Dave insists on making their shows an hour long?

Commercial channels innit. You end up with 23 minutes of actual runtime which isn't really enough for a good panel show format, so better to find ways to drag it out to 45.

Menu

Fair enough but 23 minutes would be perfect for some of those formats. Even Celebrity Juice, which I like as a guilty pleasure, starts to grate after half an hour.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Menu on November 11, 2020, 03:25:05 AM
I've never thought of it like that but you might be right. I remember first hearing it on one of those Great Big Quiz of the Years. Possibly the first one they did? Even though I'd seen Jimmy Carr on lots of things before that I'd never heard him do that laugh before. And, the thing is, the other comedians were all taking the piss out of it so they can't have heard it before either. So, yes! Jimmy Carr must have decided that he wanted to brand himself in some way and decided the best way was to do a fucking seal impression while other people were talking. How queer.

I'm not sure if it was him branding himself by trying to be known as 'the one with the laugh', he was more rebranding himself to try and make himself likeable so he could go mainstream. He was known as the nasty cunt who told gypsy jokes, never smiled, never laughed, and he wasn't very well liked. All of a sudden he starts laughing like a seal (I think QI was the first time I noticed him doing it) and then it's "oh that naughty Jimmy Carr and his naughty jokes! Isn't he lovely with the way he laughs?" Either way, it is very shit and it worked very well.

notjosh

I was in Edinburgh Fringe audiences with Jimmy Carr before his laugh was 'a thing' and he was still doing it back then so it's not entirely an affectation.