Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:20:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those panel quiz-adjacent shows

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 07, 2020, 02:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hand Solo

Quote from: paruses on November 10, 2020, 01:06:17 PM
I remember when Jimmy Carr started doing his laugh. Can't believe he thought he would have that as his USP. It's shit.

It's very taxing.

BeardFaceMan

It feels like he had his joke-telling robot persona that worked fine for him on stage, but then when he was trying to get on tv and crack the panel shows the persona didn't work as well and he wasn't getting as many laughs because people thought he was serious and a bit nasty. So he started with his laugh to show he's only joking and just telling jokes and all that, dropped the robot character (I believe he says he was like that to start off with because he was too nervous to laugh on stage) and he was pretty much accepted after that, even though his material never really changed.

Sin Agog

Quote from: paruses on November 10, 2020, 10:21:06 PM
That sounds right. Didn't they do something weird like have a stalker on in the lineup round. That can't be right but feels like it's not that far off what happened.

Not that I know of.  But she did get an umbilical hernia from laughing so hard on one episode.

She seems incredibly sound.  Big Corbyn supporter.

DrGreggles

I remember seeing a pre-telly Jimmy Carr live and he was really good.
Based on those 20 minutes I went to see a full show, which was that good 20 minutes spread amongst an hour of less good stuff.
Don't recall him laughing in either show, but I think he had a full-on dead-pan stage persona back then.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: notjosh on November 11, 2020, 07:14:55 AM
I was in Edinburgh Fringe audiences with Jimmy Carr before his laugh was 'a thing' and he was still doing it back then so it's not entirely an affectation.

When watching older shows with him on, I've noticed him doing the same laugh, but without the little whine at the end, so he appears to have added this at some point.

Utter Shit

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 09, 2020, 06:12:16 PM
Dont forget the hospital radio dj doing the same joke over and over.

Hah, I thought Ivan Brackenbury was the best of the lot! It's the same format over and over but the punchlines are always great.

Some of them don't really work, but I like that Channel 4 are willing to put weird acts in that slot. The Sean Bean bloke and Nick Mohammed in particular make me laugh simply because they make no sense being on the show. Nick Mohammed's Jurassic Park thing was so wilfully stupid.

Hands down the funniest moment on 8OO10CDC for me was when Greg Davies did his Chris Eubank impression. Not the impression itself, or even the callback the next time he was on when they got him to do it but had Chris Eubank come out behind him...the bit that I love is after he's done the impression the first time and they're all slating him for how bad it is, and he recounts his agent before the show discussing it and saying "I dunno Greg...is the impression that good?" and the whole panel just lose it laughing. Brilliant stuff. In fact I think 8OO10CDC generally is very good for keeping in moments where everyone goes to pieces rather than losing them in the edit. There's another one where Jimmy Carr makes a joke about Susie Dent using glory holes, and again the way everyone on the panel collapses into fits at how unnecessary the joke was is great.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 11, 2020, 12:02:08 PM
Hah, I thought Ivan Brackenbury was the best of the lot! It's the same format over and over but the punchlines are always great.

Some of them don't really work, but I like that Channel 4 are willing to put weird acts in that slot. The Sean Bean bloke and Nick Mohammed in particular make me laugh simply because they make no sense being on the show. Nick Mohammed's Jurassic Park thing was so wilfully stupid.

Hands down the funniest moment on 8OO10CDC for me was when Greg Davies did his Chris Eubank impression. Not the impression itself, or even the callback the next time he was on when they got him to do it but had Chris Eubank come out behind him...the bit that I love is after he's done the impression the first time and they're all slating him for how bad it is, and he recounts his agent before the show discussing it and saying "I dunno Greg...is the impression that good?" and the whole panel just lose it laughing. Brilliant stuff. In fact I think 8OO10CDC generally is very good for keeping in moments where everyone goes to pieces rather than losing them in the edit. There's another one where Jimmy Carr makes a joke about Susie Dent using glory holes, and again the way everyone on the panel collapses into fits at how unnecessary the joke was is great.

It's not that Ivan Brackenberry is as awful as some of the others, just that it's a very old joke, told over and over (I preferred it when the League Of Gentlemen did it). I don't mind Sean Bean too much but the main reason I can't stand Mr Swallow is the accent, he's mainly getting laughs from that and not the material, Nick Mohammed is actually really good in Ted Lasso using his normal voice. His feats of memory are usually just that, no comedy or performance other than him going "ooh i might get it wrong!" in a silly voice.

But the absolute king of comedy death on that show is Spencer Jones, I think we can all agree on that at least.

DrGreggles

Never saw him on that, but Spencer Jones is fucking hilarious live.

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I've seen a few people say that. I've never seen any of his stand up but on 8OOTCDC he does the shittiest prop comedy imaginable. Stuff like standing on a vibrating plate so you can see his dick jiggle in his pants. Yes, that's the entirety of the bit. And there's no fucking way I would ever check out any of his other stuff based on what he does on that show.

Edit, heh now I think about it, I did watch about 5 minutes of that Mysterious Mind of Herbert WackyTryHardLastName or whatever it was called before I turned off in disgust.

Utter Shit

I don't like most of the prop stuff he does, but his little asides after each bit ("I pay tax!") pointing out how stupid what he's doing is really make me laugh.

Menu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 11, 2020, 05:08:00 AM
I'm not sure if it was him branding himself by trying to be known as 'the one with the laugh', he was more rebranding himself to try and make himself likeable so he could go mainstream. He was known as the nasty cunt who told gypsy jokes, never smiled, never laughed, and he wasn't very well liked. All of a sudden he starts laughing like a seal (I think QI was the first time I noticed him doing it) and then it's "oh that naughty Jimmy Carr and his naughty jokes! Isn't he lovely with the way he laughs?" Either way, it is very shit and it worked very well.

Ah I see. He really does see it as a 'profession' doesn't he. He's like an evil Bob Monkhouse.

Menu

Quote from: notjosh on November 11, 2020, 07:14:55 AM
I was in Edinburgh Fringe audiences with Jimmy Carr before his laugh was 'a thing' and he was still doing it back then so it's not entirely an affectation.

He's always on.

Yussef Dent

I know someone who laughs like Jimmy Carr and gets brought up on it every f***ing time they laugh out loud at something to the point they are really self-conscious about it. It's a rare thing of laughing inwards, apparently Carr's brought it up before. As a result I don't think it's something he puts on. I laugh like Muttley, another friend of mine who is a generally quite a placid bloke laughs like Brian Blessed.

olliebean

I think it's genuinely the way he laughs, but I don't think he's genuinely laughing every time he does it.