Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:59:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

driving away from an RTA

Started by sevendaughters, November 08, 2020, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 08, 2020, 11:43:45 PM
An ex Rozzer, of my sometime acquaintance, told me the change from Road Traffic Accident to Road Traffic Collision was to reflect the fact "there is no such thing as an accident" as there is always at least one party at fault so it isn't accidental, it's carelessness to some degree.

Typical rozzer blame-game bullshit to be honest.

H-O-W-L

Judge Dredd switches his Lawgiver pistol to High Explosive Incendiary, stuffing the muzzle into the mouth of a weeping mother who's just dropped six eggs.

"No such thing as an accident , creep."

He pulls the trigger.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Jockice on November 08, 2020, 08:19:49 PM
But then I once had a cyclist try to spit on me through the open window of my car seemingly because I'd turned right onto an otherwise deserted street when he was approaching but at least 200 metres away.

Hmm I wonder, how is small_world?

Jockice

Ray Travez

sevendaughters

update: completely got away with it scot-free though after hearing a full retelling i reckon she was bang wrong.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 08, 2020, 09:45:05 PM
Yeah. Dedicated cycling lanes are what's needed, rather than strips of paint that generally happen to be in the part most fucked by lorries.

They created one of these near me recently, protected by bollards and the local Facebook group (obviously) went fucking apeshit. Apparently drivers were narrowly avoiding driving into the bollards, and somehow it's someone else's fault if you drive into a stationary object.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on November 08, 2020, 11:43:45 PM
An ex Rozzer, of my sometime acquaintance, told me the change from Road Traffic Accident to Road Traffic Collision was to reflect the fact "there is no such thing as an accident" as there is always at least one party at fault so it isn't accidental, it's carelessness to some degree.

And I imagine that the benefit to accident and personal injury lawyers was an unforeseen consequence of that change.

JaDanketies

In August 2018 my dad was dying in a hospital bed. I went to Asda to buy a bunch of sandwiches etc for everyone. Reached a junction that looked like a crossroads (it was actually a T-junction with an entry to an industrial estate directly ahead) and inched out at about 5mph. Hit the side of a car hard  just enough to crack my licence plate. Gave the guy in the car my personal details, he sped off without even saying a word to me.

Next day a man calls me, while I'm looking at my dad dying. I speak to him briefly about the location of the collision before realising it's a bad idea. Turns out he was a solicitor.

The other driver claims to have suffered a personal injury. Premiums go up. I've got to admit that I caused an accident that led to a personal injury whenever I renew my premiums. There is a 0% chance that this incident injured anyone that wasn't strapped to my license plate.

Anyone who thinks a road accident is an excuse to make a personal injury claim should be put against the wall. You might think you're just scamming an insurance company but you're really scamming a stranger who is more likely to be going through a terrible time at the moment than your average driver.

If your dad is dying and you need to get lunch for a bunch of grieving people, get a taxi.

kittens

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 16, 2020, 11:10:15 PM
update: completely got away with it scot-free though after hearing a full retelling i reckon she was bang wrong.

would really like to hear the full story of your wife crushing a cyclist so i can get mad at her. thank you

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on November 17, 2020, 12:31:43 AM
They created one of these near me recently, protected by bollards and the local Facebook group (obviously) went fucking apeshit. Apparently drivers were narrowly avoiding driving into the bollards, and somehow it's someone else's fault if you drive into a stationary object.

Mint. I hate those Car is King cunts perhaps more than any other group of people ever, more even than Blackshirts and chuggers.

One of the most satisfying things I've seen was when I was cycling to work in Bristol, and in a queue of traffic waiting to get out of a junction. And I really was "in" the queue - the road was so narrow that I was behind rather than alongside the cars. The cunt behind me starting aggressively revving his engine and shouting the usual anti-cyclist stuff out of his window at me, even though if I hadn't have been there he'd have been precisely one bike's length closer to the junction.

When he was about third or so in the queue and could see that the junction was flaring out slightly, he barged past me, hitting me with his wing mirror and shouting that I was a cunt, and blaring on his horn until the cars in front shuffled forwards ever so slightly. He then drove past them to jump the queue and make his right turn, but then junction was so narrow that he ended up scraping the right side of his car all down a traffic island. It was such a violent scrape that it tipped him onto two wheels for a bit, and then he drove off with his car looking like Titanic.

I love the idea of him having to take the thing to a garage, deal with the indignity of the sarcasm of mechanics and the "lol, no" of his insurance company all in the same day. Hope it cost him a fortune.

Captain Z

Quote from: kittens on November 17, 2020, 09:22:51 AM
would really like to hear the full story of your wife crushing a cyclist so i can get mad at her award her a medal. thank you

sevendaughters

would really like to hear the full story of your wife crushing a cyclist so i can get mad at her. thank you

she executed a terrible overtake on a narrow and dark road and the reason she had to brake and make the cyclist ride into her is she was going too quickly into a blind rise in the road as a van was approaching that had priority. the cyclist was unhurt and, annoyed he had potentially damaged her car, she drove off as soon as the van passed.

i suggested she ring the copper and 'fess. she said some bullshine about not wanting to wind the window down bcs COVID as he was shouting and the female copper bought it.

all the more annoying because she is a cyclist!

she gets a bit lizard-brained behind the wheel. she once went straight through a zebra crossing when a family were waiting to cross. i sometimes get a bit nonchalant as a pedestrian at zebras because it's my right of way. just glad this family (3 young children) were a bit more hesitant.

Buelligan

Gosh, thanks, yes, I feel quite animated with irritation, focused, like a bead of red light, on your better half and all of her kind.  Please don't let her know.  Forewarned is forearmed as they say. 

Inspector Norse

would really like to hear the full story of your wife crushing a cyclist so i can get mad at her vote for her in the next general election. thank you

Jockice

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 17, 2020, 09:19:52 AM

Anyone who thinks a road accident is an excuse to make a personal injury claim should be put against the wall. You might think you're just scamming an insurance company but you're really scamming a stranger who is more likely to be going through a terrible time at the moment than your average driver.

In total agreement. I had a crash just over 15 years ago - my fault, but like with you my dad was dying at the time, plus I'd just been blown out by a woman I really liked so I was a bit of a mess - but the guy I hit was friendly enough, said it didn't really matter as it was an old car and he'd get an estimate the next day and I could pay him that way. He did and it came to £200 odd. I went round to the takeaway he ran with the cash, he sat me down and said he wanted a grand or he'd claim on his insurance for personal injury for him and his kids who were in the car at the time. But like him seemed uninjured and indeed unbothered  What an absolute twat. He knew about my dad cos I'd told him when I'd apologised but my life didn't matter as he had seen an opportunity to make money. I paid him though, just cos I really didn't need that on my mind at the time. I did get him to sign a letter saying that the matter ended there, although I realise that probably wouldn't have stood up in court. But I just wanted the matter totally over and done with.

In contrast, I was in a crash six years ago in which my car was written off. This wasn't remotely my fault. The other bloke pulled out of a car park straight into my path. But he tried to blame me, saying that I was speeding (I wasn't) and he'd 'just nosed out.' Which is bollocks. You don't 'just nose out' into a head-on collision. It was suggested that I make a personal injury claim and as I already had a 'pre-existing injury' I could play on that. I decided not to though. I just thought it would be hypocritical as I actually wasn't injured.  The insurers eventually decided that the other bloke was responsible for the crash. Which he was. I hope he realises how lucky he was that I didn't decide to fake personal injury though.

The Ombudsman

Does anyone here use a dash-cam? I got one but never installed it. Thinking it might be sensible to fit the thing now.

Buelligan

Which way are you going to point it?

The Ombudsman

Quote from: Buelligan on November 17, 2020, 11:46:33 AM
Which way are you going to point it?

The camera? It has front and back. Wide angle on both, so reasonable coverage of the vehicle.

Icehaven

My colleague's daughter had a tiny prang which was her fault (think she bumped into the door of a stationary car while they were both trying to turn at a junction) but it was so minor neither car had any damage and the other driver - who was heavily pregnant - said she was fine, but needless to say a few days later she lodged a personal injury claim.
Because she was pregnant she'd gone to A&E to get herself checked over just to be on the safe side, and they'd even said she was fine, so presumably some ambulance chasers had convinced her she wasn't. It's still ongoing I think, but my colleague's daughter had only just passed her test so I'd imagine her premium is going to go through the roof if it's ruled against her.

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 17, 2020, 09:36:20 AM
Mint. I hate those Car is King cunts perhaps more than any other group of people ever, more even than Blackshirts and chuggers.

Yes, the people who are the self-styled greatest, safest drivers on the road, but also haplessly unable to tackle things like humps, cycle lanes or spot bright yellow boxes from a few feet away. Death is too good for them.

A guy I once worked with drove close to a bicycle on a deserted country road.  When the cyclist fell off, he panicked and drove off without checking if the fallen rider was hurt.  They weren't but my former colleague was tracked down and got about twelve weeks porridge.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 17, 2020, 02:48:08 PM
Yes, the people who are the self-styled greatest, safest drivers on the road, but also haplessly unable to tackle things like humps, cycle lanes or spot bright yellow boxes from a few feet away. Death is too good for them.

See also: Drivers who hate traffic wardens and rage at them for getting them bang to rights. I used to see loads of these angry twats on Deptford High Street, swearing and ranting that they didn't deserve a ticket because they were "only" parked illegally for five minutes because they had a major emergency like having to nip into Greggs for a coffee. Just learn to park your car properly you stupid cunts.

Ditto for drivers who hate speed cameras. Don't you have a speedometer? Do you really need to get to Waitrose that quickly?

Chedney Honks

They should have a system where you can take a photo of someone doing something illegal on the road like bad parking etc or drive in a bus lane. You send the pic to the rozz and you get a tenner. They get the rest of the fine. Win, win. Actually a great way for homeless guys to afford the latest technology and fashions.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 17, 2020, 06:40:24 PM
They should have a system where you can take a photo of someone doing something illegal on the road like bad parking etc or drive in a bus lane. You send the pic to the rozz and you get a tenner. They get the rest of the fine. Win, win. Actually a great way for homeless guys to afford the latest technology and fashions.

There was an app but it sounds like they're having a strop because the law's too complex for busybody grasses to understand http://alesaservices.com/

Sacking off traffic wardens and replacing them with a gig economy/gamified app for grasses is such a hellishly neoliberal idea. At least in East Germany they'd give you a Trabant.

markburgle

I once reversed my scooter into a parking space to my left, into the door of a Porsche that I hadn't noticed had just pulled into it. I said "Sorry mate, that was totally my fault" and he went "You will be, these things cost an arm and a leg". I gave him my number, he drove off, and I never heard from him again.

Another time I came back to find my scoot had fallen over and the handlebar had punched a hole through someone's front grill. I left a note. Never heard from them either.

This thread is making me scared. I work as a delivery cyclist, and the universe clearly owes me a pasting. I'd better increase my caution levels

Blue Jam

We should just clone Mike and have a National Mike Service. Stickers or GTFO.

Chedney Honks

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 17, 2020, 06:46:54 PM
There was an app but it sounds like they're having a strop because the law's too complex for busybody grasses to understand http://alesaservices.com/

Sacking off traffic wardens and replacing them with a gig economy/gamified app for grasses is such a hellishly neoliberal idea. At least in East Germany they'd give you a Trabant.

Fuck that was a joke. What a fuckin world this is.

Poobum

Once did my car up as a Persian scythed chariot, shredded an entire peloton. You just can't be too careful can ya? :/

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: markburgle on November 17, 2020, 06:51:53 PM
I once reversed my scooter into a parking space to my left, into the door of a Porsche that I hadn't noticed had just pulled into it. I said "Sorry mate, that was totally my fault" and he went "You will be, these things cost an arm and a leg". I gave him my number, he drove off, and I never heard from him again.

Another time I came back to find my scoot had fallen over and the handlebar had punched a hole through someone's front grill. I left a note. Never heard from them either.

This thread is making me scared. I work as a delivery cyclist, and the universe clearly owes me a pasting. I'd better increase my caution levels

Oh yeah, I was once parallel parking using a reflection in a glass building to gauge how much space I had behind me and I'm sure I bumped my towbar into the car behind me, I was creeping back and I'm sure the clutch would've slipped before I did real damage. I had a look and there was nothing obvious, there was a bit of loose trim that could've been clipped back in at the very bottom of their bumper, but it was lower than my bar by a fair bit, but as there were people outside the front of a building who might've seen me do it I left a note with my number, also heard nothing.