Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

driving away from an RTA

Started by sevendaughters, November 08, 2020, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Chedney Honks on November 17, 2020, 06:40:24 PM
They should have a system where you can take a photo of someone doing something illegal on the road like bad parking etc or drive in a bus lane. You send the pic to the rozz and you get a tenner. They get the rest of the fine. Win, win. Actually a great way for homeless guys to afford the latest technology and fashions.

I've always said there should be buckets of bricks next to pedestrian crossings, and it should be perfectly legal to throw one at any car going through a red or not stopping. You'd need cameras too of course but I imagine it'd make drivers pay a bit more attention.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2020, 06:27:09 PM
See also: Drivers who hate traffic wardens and rage at them for getting them bang to rights. I used to see loads of these angry twats on Deptford High Street, swearing and ranting that they didn't deserve a ticket because they were "only" parked illegally for five minutes because they had a major emergency like having to nip into Greggs for a coffee. Just learn to park your car properly you stupid cunts.

Ditto for drivers who hate speed cameras. Don't you have a speedometer? Do you really need to get to Waitrose that quickly?

I hate speeding drivers, especially in towns. I get a perverse pleasure sticking scrupulously to 20 limits in particular, because there's always some corpulent old cunt who starts tailgating you having decided that they're the ones who get to choose the speed limit. I wonder if these cunts think that charging ahead really gets them anywhere that much quicker? If it's round a city you pretty much always end up behind them at the next set of lights if they've overtaken dangerously and brummed off - you'd think they'd have noticed.

Buelligan

Quote from: markburgle on November 17, 2020, 06:51:53 PM
I once reversed my scooter into a parking space to my left, into the door of a Porsche that I hadn't noticed had just pulled into it. I said "Sorry mate, that was totally my fault" and he went "You will be, these things cost an arm and a leg". I gave him my number, he drove off, and I never heard from him again.

Another time I came back to find my scoot had fallen over and the handlebar had punched a hole through someone's front grill. I left a note. Never heard from them either.

This thread is making me scared. I work as a delivery cyclist, and the universe clearly owes me a pasting. I'd better increase my caution levels

Don't worry, I once slipped in a deep gravel car park and dropped my exceeding large motorbike through a small new car.  After I'd managed to wriggle out from under it, I had to hobble inside, ask until I found the owner, tell the owner, show the owner and pay the owner.  I took that bullet for you.

Captain Crunch

They should have a system where you can take a photo of someone doing something illegal on the road like bad parking etc or drive in a bus lane. You send the pic to the rozz and you get a tenner. They get the rest of the fine. Win, win. Actually a great way for homeless guys to afford the latest technology and fashions.

You can send in your dashcam footage here:

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national-dash-cam-safety-portal/

Dr Rock

QuoteAn ex Rozzer, of my sometime acquaintance, told me the change from Road Traffic Accident to Road Traffic Collision was to reflect the fact "there is no such thing as an accident" as there is always at least one party at fault so it isn't accidental, it's carelessness to some degree.

Maybe he should look up what words mean, accidents are often due to carelessness. It's intent that stops it being an accident.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2020, 08:45:23 PM
Maybe he should look up what words mean, accidents are often due to carelessness. It's intent that stops it being an accident.

I think the word accident is often taken to have an implicit meaning that the thing couldn't have been helped, and that there's therefore at fault.

I think I agree with using a word other than accident just to avoid people thinking that the collision was blameless. When I used to follow the creation/evolution debate more closely there were scientists who were careful about talking about the "theory of relativity", because some creationists would seize on the word "theory" as meaning "hypothesis" as opposed to the intended sense being the same as in "the theory of relativity". I can see why it would be useful in policing to pay attention to language to help avoid unconsciously thinking about blamelessness.

Buelligan

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 17, 2020, 08:45:23 PM
It's intent that stops it being an accident.

Sorry, pissing in or pissing out, that's not carelessness really.  It's dirty.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 17, 2020, 06:27:09 PM
See also: Drivers who hate traffic wardens and rage at them for getting them bang to rights. I used to see loads of these angry twats on Deptford High Street, swearing and ranting that they didn't deserve a ticket because they were "only" parked illegally for five minutes because they had a major emergency like having to nip into Greggs for a coffee. Just learn to park your car properly you stupid cunts.

Ditto for drivers who hate speed cameras. Don't you have a speedometer? Do you really need to get to Waitrose that quickly?

Yeah, the speed camera thing is such a bugbear of mine because they are so fucking obvious and if you genuinely can't spot a bright yellow box on a pole or spot a suspicious van in a layby in time, then you are absolutely, categorically driving way too fast or not paying enough attention. Tax on motorists, my arse.

If I were in charge, people who cut people up or fail to give way, etc. would have their car offered to the wronged party to swap. You wouldn't bully a 20 year old 1.2 Corsa at the roundabout in your shiny new Audi SQ3 if you thought you'd have to drive it home.

JaDanketies

The problem with parking tickets, and to a smaller degree speeding tickets, is the fine isn't means-tested. It can plunge a poor person into a financial crisis, but is a minor annoyance to richer people. However I agree that traffic wardens are doing a totally necessary job and it would be havoc if they didn't exist.

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 18, 2020, 12:30:50 PM
The problem with parking tickets, and to a smaller degree speeding tickets, is the fine isn't means-tested. It can plunge a poor person into a financial crisis, but is a minor annoyance to richer people.

And some businesses write the cost of parking tickets into their running costs and charges to their customers, so they can park their work vans wherever's most convenient for them without it technically costing them anything, which given badly parked vans are even more of a pain in the arse than badly parked cars yet they can do it without compunction, makes it even more irritating. Clamp the bastards!